Start by marking “Web Literacy for Educators” as Want to Read:
Web Literacy for Educators

Web Literacy for Educators

The author offers exercises, examples, handouts, and basic tips to help both learners and educators find and evaluate information on the Web for quality and validity.
Published April 1st 2008 by Corwin Press

To ask other readers questions about Web Literacy for Educators, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Web Literacy for Educators

LB
Jul 27, 2009 LB marked it as to-read
Recommended to LB by: Randy N
Shelves: education, tech
I am learning an ENORMOUS amount. There are so many simple actions an Internet user can take to be more informed and to better use the Internet.

One of the most striking points that November makes is that Internet filters at school are not a good idea. From that, I infer that it's money wasted. Students shouldn't have access to the web without an adult present anyway. And also, they go home to a computer without a filter and do not know how to judge the soundness of the information on those unfil
Mandy
Aug 02, 2014 Mandy rated it really liked it
Useful tips, EASY to read....I love that there was not a lot of in-depth explanation for some of these strategies. Who has time to read all of that? Quick, simplistic read/information that will helps students and teachers with online inquiry. Worth the purchase for teachers looking for a good starting point for inquiry-based learning.
Tiffany
Mar 08, 2013 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
I have to agree with the review on the back cover, "Both the newcomer and the tech-savvy educator can find something useful in this well-organized, easy-to-follow book. A wonderful addition for educators at any grade level."-Betsy Muller, Technology Consultant and Teacher Issaquah School District, Seattle, WA.
Sara
Jul 27, 2009 Sara rated it it was amazing
A fabulous resource for any educator or parent who is teaching research skills. I learned some new ones myself. For instance, how many of you know how to check the back links of a site? In other words, what other sites have linked to the site you are on. Great ideas for lesson plans. Especially great is the REAL acronym for how to evaluate websites.
Rachel
Oct 24, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: masters-class
This is a great book for teachers who are looking for a "the basics and just beyond" approach to Web Literacy. (That is, using the web to its full extent.) There are some outdated references, IMO, like giving Altavista more recognition than Google as far as search engines. The concepts still make sense, though. An easy, good, read!
Susan Crowley
Aug 20, 2009 Susan Crowley rated it it was amazing
Alan November is a leader in education and 21st century skills. This book is short but concise and gives students and teachers the basic information necessary to search for and evaluate information. I highly recommend it.
Carol
Jul 23, 2008 Carol rated it really liked it
I loved this book. I got to meet Alan November at NECC and he signed my book. He used to teach near me. It is a fast read, I read it on the plane ride home from San Antonio. Any techies or newbies will enjoy this.
Amy
Jul 21, 2010 Amy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Tracy, Vickie
Recommended to Amy by: Olga
Ch. 7 of this book is summer reading for HCSD English teachers. I highly recommend this text for anyone who assigns research to students. I thought I was a strong research teacher, but I learned a great deal. I loved the strategies that are easy to implement in class.
Robin Cicchetti
A very useful, and also a very useable guide for teachers to improve their web search skills as well as teach skills to students. Alan November has created the curriculum, included links and assessments so it couldn't be easier.
Marcia
Aug 28, 2011 Marcia rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teachers
A short, simple guide to website evaluation and basic web literacy. Good examples to use with students, and lots of helpful links and assessments. I'll be incorporating some of his ideas into my fall lessons.
Heather S
Although some of the links are a bit outdated, I really enjoyed November's book. It's an informative, quick, easy read. If you're looking for information about evaluating websites and related content, you should read this book.
Julia
Jul 27, 2010 Julia rated it liked it

As always Alan November delivers an erudite and yet easy-to-understand addition to the plethora of literature on web literacy for teachers. This is a practical work, with dozens of examples on how to navigate and use the Internet wisely and effectively.
Jennifer Black
Oct 19, 2013 Jennifer Black rated it liked it
This was a pretty easy read, and I learned some ways to research the validity of websites which I wasn't aware of before.
SandyGM
Excellent!! I am creating a curriculum to use in the classroom based on this book. It will really help teachers/students research effectively. Gotta love Alan November!
Oswald
May 20, 2011 Oswald rated it really liked it
This is a good source of information for educators and students. There are productive ways to learn to search for information on the Internet.
Jack
Nov 04, 2010 Jack is currently reading it
some say it's a dummy version of the world is flat. i say, this is just perfect for me. very helpful for non-tech savvy oldies. okey, dumb-me.
Sara Weinhold
May 08, 2010 Sara Weinhold rated it it was amazing
A wonderful resource for Internet research methods. I am pretty tech saavy and I learned quite a bit.
Jan
Oct 06, 2008 Jan rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent reference book for those concerned about the lack web literacy. I recommend it to anyone using the Internet as a major source of information.
VeNicia
VeNicia rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2011
Stephanie Grimaldi
Stephanie Grimaldi rated it it was ok
Sep 08, 2014
Carla
Carla rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2014
Todd Hillmer
Todd Hillmer rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2011
Katherine
Katherine rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2011
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2013
Eric Stauffer
Eric Stauffer rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2012
Bernard
Bernard rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2013
Justine
Justine rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2011
Emily Goranson
Emily Goranson rated it it was ok
Mar 21, 2014