Start by marking “Someone to Watch Over Me (Grace & Favor, #3)” as Want to Read:
Someone to Watch Over Me (Grace & Favor, #3)

Someone to Watch Over Me (Grace & Favor #3)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  547 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Lily Brewster and her brother Robert were living high on the hog in Manhattan until the Crash of '29 took the family fortune south. Abruptly penniless, they have taken up residence in their late great-uncle Horatio's upstate estate on the banks of the Hudson and are slowly getting used to small-town life. But while tearing down a dilapidated ice house on the property, Robe ...more
Published September 3rd 2002 by Avon (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Someone to Watch Over Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Someone to Watch Over Me

Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth PetersThe Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan BradleyThe Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. KingMaisie Dobbs by Jacqueline WinspearSilent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn
Favorite Historical Mystery Series
294th out of 694 books — 710 voters
I, Claudius by Robert GravesAs You Like It by William ShakespeareThe Horse and His Boy by C.S. LewisOh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. SeussClaudius the God and His Wife Messalina by Robert Graves
Me, You & They
154th out of 277 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Michelle
Jul 29, 2008 Michelle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: history buffs, cozy readers, depression era, Bonus Army interests
Melissa
Like other Jill Churchill books I've read, the "mystery" in this story reads almost like an afterthought. It is an engaging story full of interesting details about life during the depression, but the resolution to the mystery seems anticlimactic. Also like other Churchill books, the secondary characters seemed to be more fully developed than the main characters - at least you get a better sense of their personalities. I would read more in this series only to see how those main characters develop ...more
Marci
Really really liking this series. Of course, living through another depression adds a tad bit of relevance to the storylines. Lily & Robert are starting their 2nd year in their Uncle Horatio's house in upstate NY. Robert decides to tear down an unneeded Ice house to use the wood for other projects (waste not want not). Unfortunately, a dead body appears in the ice house. Lily's sewing guild wants to start a group of women trading goods & services for script rather than money.
Paula
Karen Hufman
It was okay- the characters don't feel entirely real. Lily and her brother, Robert, were victims of the Stock Market Crash of the 1920's and get to live at their great-Uncle's estate to prove their worth for 10 years before they can inherit the estate. It seems a little far fetched the characters are a little 'gee wiliker' type of people (I have no idea how to spell that) type of people.
Melissa
Good concept, but too much period writing from the Depression really distracted from the mystery. Too many storylines left unfinished, I know it's a series, but I like to have some things wrapped up to make a book worthwhile.
Gin Tadvick
Light Mystery at it's best. Can't wait to read the next in the series.
Anne Marie
Gave up on the series
 Gigi Ann
This is the second book I've read by Ms. Churchill, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a fiction novel, but she had some historical facts in it about some things that happened during the time President Hoover was President in 1932. I found that interesting and had to pull up the incident on WiKipedia and read more about what it was all about.

There were two mysteries and it was fun to follow Lily and Robert to the conclusion and seeing how they figured out who the guilty parties were.

Dolly
I'm really beginning to fall in love with these Grace and Favor mysteries. The characters are interesting and the mysteries are just part of the story; these weren't too hard to figure out. I really enjoy the historical background and the tales of people surviving any way they can during the depression. There is a lot about that period in history that I don't know. The information about the Bonus Expeditionary Force was very enlightening as well.
Kyrie
I wanted to like this series as much as I'd enjoyed the Jane Jeffry's ones, but I just can't get into this era of history or really care about former flappers. I relate more to the regular folks who are trying to stretch their gardens. Anyhow, it's not a bad tale about two corpses in the river, it's just not that exciting either.
Sage

This is the third book in the series. I listen to these, getting them from TALKING BOOKS of Nevada. Combing the reader's talent with the author's made for an excellent read. I love the sibling sleuths. The plot was straightforward this time whereas I was unable to follow the storyline at all in the second book.
Mailis Viiand
Does not have that feeling of exciting urgency some of the mysteries manage to convey with their plot lines, but nevertheless is an interesting read from an age quite different from ours. For a while it takes on dimensions of historical fiction with the American war veterans campaign and subsequent events.
Anne Bannon
Fun, lightweight and reasonably historically accurate. I loved the way Churchill featured the WWI Veterans Bonus March on Washington, an event I had not heard of. Better yet, while the real people are mentioned, they don't actually interact with the characters - a device I generally loathe in fictional books
Sallie
Thanks to Kristen Curtis, I've now read the first 3 of these books - Joan Kirschner started me out with the first one. I enjoy the historical aspects of the books - 1932 - as well as the mysteries. I figured out who was one of the murderers before the end, but not the other.
Cheryl Scott
I really like the idea for this series and the brother-sister sleuthing team of Robert and Lily Brewster. However, this is the weakest I've read so far in this series. Still giving it 3 stars and planning to read the rest. . .unless they don't get any better.
Elizabeth
Very well done with an excellent sense of time and place. The march of the Bonus Army on Washington was something I knew little about and Jacks experiences there were heart wrenching and chilling. The more things change.......
Nikki
Sep 12, 2008 Nikki marked it as didn-t-finish
Shelves: fiction, mysteries
Nothing personal, and I'll probably go check this out again as I've enjoyed other books in the series -- it was just that other books interfered and I had to return this one.
Mollie
Feb 27, 2009 Mollie marked it as wishlist
Someone to Watch Over Me (Grace & Favor Mysteries, No. 3) by Jill Churchill (2002)
Dianne Gardner
This series is fun. Lots of discriptive detail of the time after the '29 Crash.
Naomi Moore
This a super easy read that I couldn't guess the ending. That is not a usual occurence.
Lori
book club read, not something I'd pick up and carry on with
Sharon Cumings
Really, really good read!
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Sue
Sue added it
Apr 09, 2015
  • As the World Churns (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #16)
  • Frill Kill (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #5)
  • Black Ship (Daisy Dalrymple, #17)
  • Silver Scream (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #18)
  • The Edge of Doom (A Kate Fansler Mystery #14)
  • Agatha Christie and the Eleven Missing Days
  • Death by the Light of the Moon (Claire Malloy, #7)
  • Beacon Street Mourning (Fremont Jones, #6)
  • Murder Carries a Torch (Southern Sisters Mystery, #7)
  • Death is in the Air (Manor House Mystery, #2)
A pseudonym used by Janice Young Brooks.

Jill Churchill, winner of the Agatha and Macavity Mystery Readers Awards, and nominated for an Anthony for her best-selling Jane Jeffry series, lives as Jane does, in a midwestern suburb. On purpose! She says writing this series and the Grace and Favor series is the best treat she can have without a knife and fork.

Under her real name, Janice Young Brooks, an
More about Jill Churchill...

Grace & Favor (7 books)
  • Anything Goes (Grace & Favor, #1)
  • In the Still of the Night (Grace & Favor, #2)
  • Love for Sale (Grace & Favor, #4)
  • It Had to Be You (Grace & Favor, #5)
  • Who's Sorry Now? (Grace & Favor, #6)
  • Smoke Gets in Your Eyes (Grace & Favor,  #7)
Grime and Punishment (Jane Jeffry, #1) Anything Goes (Grace & Favor, #1) A Farewell to Yarns (Jane Jeffry, #2) A Knife to Remember (Jane Jeffry, #5) War and Peas (Jane Jeffry, #8)