Start by marking “How Good Do You Want to Be?: A Champion's Tips on How to Lead and Succeed at Work and in Life” as Want to Read:

He guided LSU to its first football championship in forty-five years. He turned down countless offers from professional teams to stay with the job he loves. Now Nick Saban reveals the secrets that will help you lead and succeed at work and in life.

Excellence doesn’t happen overnight. It comes from hard work, consistency, the drive to be the best, and a passion for what you
Published January 23rd 2007 by Ballantine Books (first published December 28th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about How Good Do You Want to Be?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Good Do You Want to Be?

Christy
Jan 12, 2011 Christy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a Nick Saban fan - forget what team he coaches, I root for Saban. Saban is a great coach and his "process," which he explains in full detail in this book (along with anecdotes and family stories and his family history and career history) is very inspiring. Even if you hate Saban, if you can put the fact that he wrote the book out of your mind, it's still a very inspiring book. My husband even enjoyed it and he couldn't care less about Saban.
George
Nov 06, 2016 George rated it it was amazing
This was a surprisingly good and useful book. I picked it up on a whim and expected it to be the drivel usually associated with coaches' books. Not so. In this book, Saban dives into his philosophy on life and how he derived it -- and how adopting aspects of it have enabled his success and that of his teams'. The amount of content in the book is substantial -- though not a difficult read at all (AT ALL), he elaborates usefully on each point.

Two related items are worth highlighting -- mindset an
Zach Melton
Dec 14, 2016 Zach Melton rated it really liked it
I'm usually not a fan of sports books, but one thing I do appreciate is learning from great leaders. That's the way this book should be thought about. Regardless of whether you like football or not, you have to recognize that Nick Saban is one of, if not THE, most successful leaders in sports today, and there is plenty we all can learn from him. This book details his account of his time at LSU (written before his time at Alabama) and gives an inside look at how he thinks and approaches leadershi ...more
Faith High School
Dec 21, 2016 Faith High School rated it it was amazing
Read by: Harland Groves
This was a really good book. It showed how Nick Saban got to be at his level and things you can do every day to improve yourself. This book also tells how to become a better competitor and how to get to where you want to go in life. Overall, it was a very good book.
Rhodes Davis
Nov 02, 2012 Rhodes Davis rated it it was amazing
I will readily admit that my favorite motivational books are written by coaches at the top of their profession. In order to achieve their goals they have to inspire assistants and athletes with their vision and direct their actions to achieve excellent results. In college football's Southeastern Conference, one of the toughest conferences to achieve consistent success, Nick Saban has won both conference and national championships as head coach of LSU and the University of Alabama and enjoyed suc ...more
Grant Mink
Grant Mink
5/8/16
English 131
How Good Do You Want to Be?
The author’s purpose in writing the book How Good Do You Want to Be? was to entertain you, but also to motivate you. I believe this because he tells some very interesting stories about what happened in his life. In my opinion it entertained me a lot, mainly because I am interested in the same things that the writer (Nick Saban) is also interested in. Also, I think his purpose was to motivate you to push yourself and work hard. He gives some
Dave
Unfortunately the version I read had Nick in the LSU get up, but I will forgive that.

Unlike most books written by coaches, this one actually seemed to have a little more character in it. Saban told a few stories that helped you understand where he came from as a person and also helps to understand how he developed some of the philosophies and ideas that have made him so successful as a college coach.

It was also interesting to read about some of the events that Coach Saban has lived through; mos
Kyle
Aug 21, 2013 Kyle rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect for a sports fanatic that appreciates those who are at the top of their profession. Although not an Alabama (or LSU) fan, this book gives insight to the plethora of knowledge and advice that Saban has to offer. Saban provides many examples throughout the book that make it enjoyable, while tying those examples back to real life principles that anyone can apply to their life. He emphasizes reaching your potential through positive thinking, belief in yourself, and a focus and d ...more
Travis Doig
Apr 20, 2015 Travis Doig rated it really liked it
Nick Saban is a successful coach. Most people judge him based on what they see in the media. Some judge him because he's an SEC coach--more specifically Alabama's coach. But Nick Saban is more than just a football coach. He's a man, a husband, father, son, role model, and mentor. This book here sheds light into his philosophy of life and how to build character. It was a wonderful learning opportunity for me and I have a new found respect for the man, and for the world of coaching in general.
Stephen
Jul 09, 2008 Stephen rated it it was ok
I read this for work. I knew nothing about football, nor cared, but was doing some work involving Saban, and thought a read through of his book would be a good idea. And it was; I was surprised by the insight I found and the motivational tools I was immediately able to put to use in order to complete the assignment. I still hate football.
Chris
Aug 12, 2012 Chris rated it liked it
If you're an Alabama fan you won't be surprised by the core tenants of Nick Saban's leadership philosophy. Be relentless, give 100% on each task, know your role,... But will seem weird is that's the same formula he's succeeded with everywhere he's been. I think this is a solid read.
Tyler
Jul 30, 2014 Tyler rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and it gave me even more respect for Nick Saban. I cannot begin to tell you how much I needed to read a book like this to give me the little bit of motivation that I was lacking. Great read and I would highly recommend it.
Clint Priest
Aug 02, 2012 Clint Priest rated it really liked it
Great motivational book by Alabama head football coach Nick Saban. This is a motivator no matter who you cheer for. Heads-up to Bama fans though: don't expect a lot of Bama stories. This book was written while Saban was at LSU and draws from those experiences. Still highly recommended.
Dave
This was a much more interesting book than a lot of the motivational books written and attributed to coaches. There is quite a good bit of meat on the bones of Saban's ideas and concepts.
Seth
Mar 20, 2014 Seth rated it really liked it
This is a great read. It gets a little long in football stories but overall it applies to any areas of succeeding in life.
James
James rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2015
Sonja
Sonja rated it it was ok
Aug 07, 2015
Luke Plemmons
Luke Plemmons rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2014
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2017
Speedracer7
Speedracer7 rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2016
Barbara Pletcher
Barbara Pletcher rated it did not like it
Apr 24, 2016
Jeff Richardson
Jeff Richardson rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2013
Kelvin Redd
Kelvin Redd rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2014
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Tim
Tim rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2015
Chris Doherty
Chris Doherty rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Boomer
Boomer rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Drew
Drew rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016
Brock
Brock rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Straw: Finding My Way
  • Shift: How to Reinvent Your Business, Your Career, and Your Personal Brand
  • Winning Every Day: The Game Plan for Success
  • How to Get Control of Your Time and Your Life
  • Leaders: Strategies for Taking Charge (Collins Business Essentials)
  • The GM: The Inside Story of a Dream Job and the Nightmares that Go with It
  • The Last Coach: A Life of Paul "Bear" Bryant
  • Bill Walsh: Finding the Winning Edge
  • The New Toughness Training for Sports: Mental Emotional Physical Conditioning from 1 World's Premier Sports Psychologis
  • Total Access: A Journey to the Center of the NFL Universe
  • Change the Way You See Everything: Through Asset-Based Thinking
  • More than a Game: The Glorious Present and Uncertain Future of the NFL
  • Bo's Lasting Lessons: The Legendary Coach Teaches the Timeless Fundamentals of Leadership
  • Anyway: The Paradoxical Commandments: Finding Personal Meaning in a Crazy World
  • The Dark Side of the Game: My Life in the NFL
  • Trump: The Art of the Comeback
  • Death to the BCS: The Definitive Case Against the Bowl Championship Series
  • Flight Plan: The Real Secret of Success

“Dominant teams rarely are outplayed or outclassed, but they sometimes beat themselves. Just because you are dominant does not mean you are infallible. Remember that dominance does not mean perfection; a lack of focus for even a short period of time can cost you. Do not relax when you are far ahead or dominating your marketplace. That is the time to push even harder.” 1 likes
“Character is what you do when no one else is watching.” 1 likes