Pendragon

Pendragon (The Pendragon Cycle #4)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  3,878 ratings  ·  62 reviews
Stephen Lawhead's magnificent and gripping epic. In Taliesin, A Druid prince and bard fathers a great kingdom through his marriage to Charis, Lady of the Lake, daughter of the drowned king of Atlantis, one of the Fair Folk. His son, the legendary warrior bard, takes on the mission of laying the foundations of a new order - the Kingdom of Summer in Merlin. It is Merlin who...more
Published September 1st 1994 by Lion Publishing Plc (first published September 28th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Pendragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pendragon

Suzanne
p. 224 "Fear is man's first enemy, and his last. Hear me now; I tell you the truth: conquer fear and your reward is assured."

p. 317 "To be alive to the wonder of the commonplace, that is the very gift of a wildly generous Creator, who ever invites his creatures to contemplate the exuberance of his excellent handiwork. There is a deep and abiding joy and work in this worlds-realm, and we who toil through our lives do often forget this, or overlook it. But look, it is all around! Ceaseless, unrele...more
Jessi
Ah, it feels so good to finally get this off my currently reading list. Actually, back when I first started this book, I only read the first 5 or so pages. Then I got distracted by other things as happens so easily. A month or so ago I started it back up right from the beginning.

I will say honestly I didn't have high hopes for this book because Arthur, the previous book, was so much more based on the logistics of war rather than on characters. Despite that, I really enjoyed this book; although,...more
Brad
Good. Highly entertaining. This book is fun (and better than Arthur) for a number of reasons:

1) It is narrated by Merlin, who is clearly Lawheads favorite tool for narration (for obvious reasons)

2) It goes further into actually displaying the courage, strength and leadership of Arthur. It also does a magnificent job of displaying leadership in difficult situations.

3) Guinevere (I can't remember how he spelled it!) was amazing. She was such a fun colorful, strong and rich warrior queen character....more
Meghan
At first I was disappointed, as the story seemed to be a retelling of the "Arthur" book, just from Merlin's point of view. It was, in a way, but it also told of many other adventures, particularly the story of the invasion of Britain by the Vandals. I ended up liking it better than "Arthur," so don't be put off if it starts off slowly for you. :)
Laurie
Suzanne
Read previously, and adore this series, but got caught up in another series I haven't read in forever...so the rest is on hold for a bit.
Scott Lake
The series to me should have ended with Arthur.
Maria
Este é o quarto livro da saga sobre a lenda arturiana do escritor Stephen Lawhead. Depois de ter lido a trilogia (Taliesin, Merlim e Artur), decidi continuar a ler sobre Merlim e Artur, seguindo para Pendragon. Apesar do ciclo ter ficado fechado em Artur, Pendragon dá-nos a conhecer algumas histórias que não aparecem (ou que não têm tanto detalhe) no último livro da trilogia. Há mais detalhes sobre a vida de Artur e sobre algumas das batalhas, dando-se especial destaque às batalhas com os Vândal...more
Etienne02breton
Très bon livre encore une fois dans cette série, fidèle au modèle des autres. Cette fois on retourne un peu en arriève, par rapport à la chronologie du troisième, pour revivre les aventures d'Arthur. Les personnages sont sensiblement les mêmes et tout fonctionne bien. Seul reproche, qui je crois fait un peu partie du style de l'auteur, un rythme un peu lent tout au long du livre, mais avec une finale bien rapide et toujours aussi excellente. Bref, si vous avez aimer les trois premiers tomes, vou...more
Cinnamingirl
I started this hoping for some resolution to the end of Arthur, and so far I'm about 30 pages in and it seems to be mostly retellin of things that happened when Arthur was young, before he became the king or even the duke. It's kinda boring because most of the stuff is just more detail about things we already know... Hopefully it gets more interesting.

Then I got to the part where it was literally word for word the same, and I almost put it down entirely. I managed to finish it, and it wasn't bad...more
Rusty
This is a good read that focuses on one aspect of Arthur's reign, namely his conflicts against the barbarian Vandals and against a pestilent plague. Arthur and his men assist the Irish in driving the Vandals from their island only to encounter them in even greater numbers when they return to the English shores. The story begins with Arthur taking his Irish bride and continues through battle after battle and conflict after confict with men who doubt Arthur's abilities and decisions. Told through...more
Katie Varga
This book is about events happened before or during the previous volume. It is just as exciting, detailed and great as the first three volumes, and I'm still awed by the author's style.
Becky
Of the 4 I've read so far, this one I think is at the top of the list. I enjoy when Stephen speaks with Merlins voice and its sections of story that we might not have known about. Its interesting to see the Celt versions of how battles would have played out and what warriors look like. I still am enjoying how strong the Christian influence is for this story as well growing up on Arthurien legends that are so far steeped in the mystical and mother goddess worship. It has been nice to take these s...more
JC
This book ended really well and I really enjoyed it more than I thought I would. The book starts out recounting how Arthur became king and I had to go back and make sure that this was really Pendragon and not Arthur as the books overlap quite a bit. While it has a bit of a different perspective it still felt a bit weird at first. The book involved a lot of war as Arthur leads his people and I finally learned what the Pendragon was in this book (I'm sure I could have looked before). I'm excited f...more
Lisa
This volume expands on Arthur's tale which has already been told in the previous book Arthur. It is a "rest of the story" story.

Britain is in a time of severe drought, which bring the curse of plague. Thrown into this already terrible situation is an invasion by the dreaded barbarian horde, the Vandals.

This book takes you through the hardships involved with dealing with all these challenges.

The climatic battle - Arthur verses the barbarian Vandal king. What will the outcome be? Read it to see!
Jeannie Lee
Pendragon brings into the story our Queen, Gwenhyver. Sooooooo different! But I love it! Arthur needed a Queen who was as strong as he was, as fearless a leader. I adore her in this version of the story. I think the best part is the wedding, as she and her warriors march into the wedding in full battle dress according to the tribe she belonged to. I loved it! So different from the weeping, melting, fickle blonde soft woman described by so many other authors. Hail to the White Spirit!
Cheryl
This one was a much better written and exciting book than "Arthur". As before, I wish there were more magic from Merlin and less Christian piety. And while I enjoyed the trip to Ireland, I still didn't like Gwenhwyvar being Irish and a feisty warrior. This book was obviously not planned before "Arthur" was written and contained some unnecessary repetition. At least it set up the next book really well.
Douglas Hayes
Lawhead is a Christian writer that has the ability to weave Christianity into the fabric of a story (even historical fiction) without cheapening the faith or ruining the story. This is what he has accomplished in his telling of Arthur story.

Imagine beginning with the destruction of Atlantis, the conversion of the Druids and Christianization of the British Isles. A fantastic story!
Kathi
Not nearly as good as the first 3 books. I made myself read it all but I admit it was a "speed read". I will try the fifth book and hope it's better!
Anna
One of the books I can't technically claim to have read myself, but heard the entirety of read aloud (by my mother mostly) during the sacred family reading time that happened each night. I didn't like Lawhead as much for some reason, but I think that stemmed from a general dislike for fantasy which, as luck would have it, was a genre my parents (or at least Dad) seemed to like a lot.
Christophe
Livre pas forcément indispensable, l'écriture le sauve toutefois.
Brad Steele
Thoroughly enjoyed this installment in The Pendragon Cycle. Much the same as the others in the series, Merlin , Arthur, and his Cymborgi rise to face the challenges, both internal and external to Albion's existence. Lawhead does a great job at pulling you into the narrative as Merlin, the great Bard of Britton, shares his recollections of this enchanted era.
Aaron
I liked this book but it really dragged in some spots for me, almost as if it was partially forced in the writing of it. I still hold that Taliesen, Merlin and Arthur are the best in this series but I can say that based on the first 4 books of the Cycle Ive read. The Author really gives depth and a ancient feel in this book and the series as a whole
Joe
Could be a standalone read; a great Arthur adventure narrated by Merlin.
Wayne C Anderson
If you want to learn of the waring in the spirit for liberty and freedom as well as kingdom unity, and if you want to do so in a fun and exciting way, this Pendragon Series by Stephen Lawhead is a wonder way to do it. This is some serious soldiering herein.
I enjoyed all five books and will probably read them again in a couple years...
Julia
Jul 18, 2009 Julia rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who have read and enjoyed other books in the series
Recommended to Julia by: my brother
Mostly I have kept reading this series to find out more about some of the main characters from the first book in the series, specifically, Charis and her half-sister who looks much like her but has pretty much the opposite tendancies as far as good and evil go.
Uyuki
Merlín vuelve a ser el narrador de la historia. Este libro es sobre la invasión de los vándalos y sobre como Arturo debe defender sus tierras. Todos han sido grandiosos, no ha habido decepciones hasta ahora, de verdad son tan históricos que no se distingue la ficción.
Greg Dickson
I enjoyed this Book more than I did Arthur. This one only had one narrator which was Merlin. And the book focused more on Arthur's leadership than the previous book had. I also liked the tie in at the end of the book which mentioned the story of the Holy Grail.
Rob
I'm not the first to say this, but this series would have been well enough complete as a trilogy. Unfortunately whether by design or accident, the different tone of this book left me wondering why I just couldn't enjoy it as much as the first three.
Kari
This is just an extra story to the original triliogy and really should have been in the middle of "Arthur." It's still well writen but I feel.it would have been better if he included it during the actual timeline of the books instead of separately.
  • Grail Prince
  • The Idylls of the Queen: A Tale of Queen Guenevere
  • The Prince and the Pilgrim (Arthurian Saga, #5)
  • Enemy of God (The Warlord Chronicles, #2)
  • Queen of the Summer Stars (Guinevere, #2)
  • Sons of Avalon: Merlin's Prophecy
  • The Fort at River's Bend (Camulod Chronicles, #5)
  • The Shadow Within (Legends of the Guardian-King, #2)
  • Warrior of the West (King Arthur, #2)
  • Pendragon's Banner (Pendragon's Banner Trilogy, #2)
  • Return to Alastair (Tahn Dorn #2)
  • The Wolf and the Crown (Arthor, #3)
  • The Third Magic (Forever King, #3)
Stephen R. Lawhead is an internationally acclaimed author of mythic history and imaginative fiction. His works include Byzantium, Patrick, and the series The Pendragon Cycle, The Celtic Crusades, and The Song of Albion.

Also see his fanpage at Myspace:

Stephen was born in 1950, in Nebraska in the USA. Most of his early life was spent in America where he earned...more
More about Stephen R. Lawhead...
Taliesin (The Pendragon Cycle #1) Hood (King Raven, #1) Arthur (The Pendragon Cycle #3) Merlin (The Pendragon Cycle, #2) Scarlet (King Raven, #2)

“He also possessed Aurelius' curious innocence in battle: the fearless forgetting which led him to attempt and to achieve the impossible. This would, of course, come to be noticed much later. But even now he could be seen to exhibit a certain disregard for his own safety. I recognized it well, and knew its source, for I had ridden with Aurelius.
In anyone else it would have been called carelessness. Or foolishness, more like. But it was never that. Arthur simply did not feel afraid. Daring, bravery, boldness, valor - these are qualities of overcoming fear.
What is it, then, when there is no fear?”
1 likes