A Highlander of Her Own (Daughters of the Glen, #4)

A Highlander of Her Own (Daughters of the Glen #4)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  1,279 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Published January 27th 2009 by Pocket Books

Outlander by Diana GabaldonKiss of the Highlander by Karen Marie MoningThe Dark Highlander by Karen Marie MoningThe Immortal Highlander by Karen Marie MoningBeyond the Highland Mist by Karen Marie Moning
Best Highland/Scotland Romance Novels
184th out of 381 books — 1,198 voters
Wicked Lovely by Melissa MarrThe Iron King by Julie KagawaTithe by Holly BlackDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningWings by Aprilynne Pike
Books about Faery
188th out of 706 books — 1,578 voters

More lists with this book...

Julie (jjmachshev)
Reviewed for queuemyreview.com; book release Feb09

What is it that I like so much about Melissa Mayhue’s books? From the very first one, “Thirty Nights with a Highland Husband”, there is just something about her writing that pulls me in and keeps me coming back for more. Her heroines are strong and determined and don’t do stupid things that require a man to save them…nope, they do just as much saving, in their own way, as any of the heroes in her books. Yet the men certainly aren’t weak or spinel...more
Wendy Hines
The High Prince of Fae has made a huge mistake. Trying to make amends from an earlier mistake, he has now bestowed the fae magic on all the daughters of his sons in his line. Now, women all across the world are suddenly gifted in fae magic without any warning. They have no idea what powers they now carry. Accidents waiting to happen or not?

Ellie Denton's mother has recently passed way. She thought her mother had divorced her step-father, but obviously not as he has made himself at home on the fa...more
Jetches  (My Not So Vacant Shelf)
The MacAlisters!!! They are an awesome bunch. In the previous novel in the series a member of the original family that sparked the series goes back in time and meets the MacAlisters, and now its all about them. One girl makes a wish (good I wish mine would come true that easily) and she lands right in the middle of where she needs to be. Ellie Denton is one lucky chick. Mainly because she meets Caden MacAlister who is determined to believe that he can never find true love. Break my heart. Again...more
Jane Stewart
3.5 stars. Gentle, enjoyable, time-travel Scottish romance.

STORY BRIEF:
Over the years, several faeries from the royal family married humans and had descendants, who did not know about their faerie heritage and had no magic abilities. The High Prince of the Fae accidentally gives full faerie powers to all of the royal family descendants. Ellie is one of them. She doesn’t understand why all of a sudden she can communicate with animals. She works for a vet and wants to go to vet school. Her mother...more
Barb Lie
“A Higlander of her Own” is the 4th book in the Daughters of the Glen series by Melissa Mayhue. Once again, as it seems be with Melissa Mayhue, I really enjoyed this book. The only thing missing out of this book was we didn’t get to see the others in the present time. But nevertheless, it was great to spend more time with Rosalyn and her family. Great to see Sallie again, having her 4th child. Lol too bad though, Sallie would have been a great character for the future. But I am sure she will con...more
Jilly
The Daughters of the Glen series has been an interesting series for me. Originally I thought the first book Thirty Nights with a Highland Husband sounded promising but upon reading it discovered that it wasn't as good as I thought it would be. By then I'd already grabbed up the second volume Highland Guardian which wasn't spectacular but peeked my interest.

After that I and no interest in this series but was told by a friend that the third volume Soul of a Highlander was worth the read so I paper...more
Joelle
A Highlander of Her Own (Daughters of the Glen #4)

by Melissa Mayhue

4 stars

TEXAS, PRESENT DAY. Ellie Denton's world has spiraled out of control. A strange new birthmark, animals talking to her, and her mother's ex-husband laying claim to the family ranch have her thinking life can't get more complicated. But Ellie doesn't know the birthmark's connection to her Faerie ancestors. Complicated takes on a whole new meaning with her innocent wish to find her tru...more
Kelly
Okay, okay, okay. I'll admit to having a bit of a soft spot for sexy, kilt-wearing Highlanders. Who doesn't, really? I mean, all those muscles and the way they swing their swords. I'm not even talking metaphorically here. I mean the way they fight. Although the other sword swinging isn't too shabby either. I guess. I mean, I am willing to do some scientific research on this subject and travel to the Highlands to see if their man-parts live up to my romance addled expectations.

But enough about me...more
Britta
Mar 27, 2009 Britta rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Kim, Cindy, Milli, Erin
I waited a long time to get this book from the library and I was not disappointed.

As often happens to the poor women of the decedents of a Fae prince named Pol, Ellie Denton was just living her life until she was thrown around by magic conferred on her suddenly. Ellie is wisked away from present day Texas to 14th century Scotland.

She finds herself at the mercy of the MacAlister clan. The very same clan from all the other books. Here comes Caden MacAlister, the once jilted bethrothed of Alycie...more
m.allen
I accidently stumbled upon this series and am so glad that I did! I have also read them all out of order (2, 4, 1, and then 3) which is okay because they don't build upon each other.

In this book Ellie Denton doesn't have anything going right for her in Texas. Her mother's ex-husband has kicked her out of her home and is making her life miserable. He has offered to let her come back and live in the house for him...for a *price*. That's when, during a storm, she wishes for A Highlander of Her Own...more
Mandy Beyers
The fourth story in the magical world of fae and highlanders finds Ellie Denton suddenly understanding animals in a way no one would believe. The request Mairi made of Pol in the previous book is having unintended consequences, with women everywhere being granted the powers that had been blocked. When Ellie innocently wished for true love and a Highlander of her own, she finds herself sent back to 14th century Scotland, where she must overcome her fears and her disbelief, as well as intrigue and...more
Lisa
Ellie Denton's life is turned upside down when she loses her mother and her home. To escape her mother's husband, she wishes herself away. I just don't think she was betting on 14th century Scotland. Caden MacAllister has been unlucky in love, and he wants nothing to do with Ellie, but the Fae have other plans. The plot had many ups and downs, and I enjoyed the continuation of the previous story from book 3.
Jessica
SO while I was camping, I ran out of books to read and there was no bookstore or internet around so my mother decided to give me this book that she had just finished reading and she loved it. at first I was like, "yeah i'll probably enjoy this." then I read it and could not put it down!

I love love love Melissa Mayhue! I cannot wait to read more!
Denise
I loved this book, too. There were some really unique twists and turns to this one and you can tell the author is taking this series in a whole new direction. I hope she goes back to some of the original characters eventually, but for now, this one was really enjoyable. I especially loved how she tied up a loose end in the epilogue.
Suzanne
4th book in the Daughters of the Glen series by Melissa Mayhue. Once again, I really enjoyed this book. It was great to spend more time with Rosalyn and her family. Especially Caden from book 3 and now Ellie who received a fae mark due to Mairi's demand of Pol to protect and provide powers to daughters of sons of the fae.
Jocelin
Finally, A Daughters of the Glen series that completely captured my attention. I really did like this story. Loved the characters, the storyline, the action. Even though this book is part of a series it was a perfect stand alone read.
Barbara ★
Feb 11, 2009 Barbara ★ rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Barbara ★ by: anyone who enjoys Highlander tales
What an excellent book. It combines the Scottish Highlands and time travel...my two favorite genres. Caden MacAlister is a super hero and he sounds hot as hell. I wish I had a highlander of my own. :)
Rachel
this has to b my most absolute favorite book out of the highlanders!! i relate most w the character Ellie n this book she is amazing and Caden! oh boy dont get me started! LOVE THIS BOOK!!
Michelle
This was a decent book. It was a good story with a likeable hero, but I'm not sure I could really identify with Ellie - she seemed like a wimpy girl trying to be tough.
Sherry
Third in Mayhue's series and not a disappointment! Though I have to say the portrayal of Texan speech was a bit exaggerated, I did love that the heroine was a strong Texas gal.
Lori Yvette Fernandez Lopez
This book focused more on the romance than the faerie war crap. It was a nice change. The book was well written and I love the author's characterization of Ellie's animals!
Kendra
Bk 4, Caden and Ellie. Time-jump one. Liked the "talking to animals" power that this one had. Another fun read.
Pamela(AllHoney)
Apparently part of series. I didn't feel like I missed anything by not reading the previous books, though.
♥ Nell ♥
I really liked this book! It was so fun to read. I especially liked the dogs. Jeez it made me laugh!!
Justine saulnier
It was so good I loved every second of it could not put it down I recomend it to everyone
Denise
I do love the mid evil Highlanders. Another enjoyable read in the series.
Maya
Even with all the loose ends at the end it was the best of the series.
Missy
What can I say?.....It's a Highlander novel, of course I love it!
Jade aka MrsTosh
I loved this book I had read it in a few hours :)
  • Wedding the Highlander (Highlander, #3)
  • Warrior of the Highlands (Highlands, #3)
  • Highlander in Her Dreams (Highlander #2)
  • Highland Knight
  • Warrior of the Isles (Men of the Isles, #2)
  • Highlander's Challenge (Challenge, #1)
  • Highland Rogue (Highland Dream, #4)
  • Binding Vows (MacCoinnich Time Travels #1)
  • Return of the Highlander (Immortal Warriors, #1)
  • Highland Magic (Druid's Glen, #5)
  • Viking Unchained (Viking II, #8)
  • Dark Victory (Rose Trilogy, #2; Masters of Time, #4)
  • Till There Was You (MacLeod, #12) (De Piaget #12)
Melissa Mayhue lives in Colorado, in the shadow of the beautiful Rocky Mountains, with her family, two insanely spoiled dogs, one domineering cat, a turtle with an attitude, and way too many fish in their aquarium. If any one thing is obvious about the books I like best, it's that I love my Happy Ever After endings!!
More about Melissa Mayhue...
Thirty Nights with a Highland Husband (Daughters of the Glen, #1) Soul of a Highlander (Daughters of the Glen, #3) Highland Guardian (Daughters of the Glen, #2) A Highlander's Homecoming (Daughters of the Glen, #6) A Highlander's Destiny (Daughters of the Glen, #5)