Start by marking “The Mystic Rose” as Want to Read:
The Mystic Rose

The Mystic Rose (The Celtic Crusades #3)

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  1,383 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
The conclusion to this historical trilogy about a Scottish family's rise to power during the Crusades. When the Knights Templar attempt to reclaim a holy relic from Duncan, his family are drawn into a web of danger that stretches from the Holy Land, to distant Scotland, and to Moorish Spain.
Published March 2002 by Harper Voyager (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystic Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystic Rose

Annette
Not as good as the first two, but worth the read to finish out the series. The characters were in general less believable and largely one dimensional and a few plot points and reversals of fortune strained credibility still further. More than in the fist books, the "Crusaders" (in particular the Templars) were presented as black to the more nuanced gray-to-white of other groups such as the Moors. To be fair not all Christians were painted with the same brush: the Cele De continued to "shine" as ...more
Lance
Aug 04, 2016 Lance rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
"It is in God's good pleasure that all of his many children might sit with one another so that harmony and understanding may increase."

This was the final instalment in the Celtic Crusades series - and I am happy to say that this was the best yet. The vibrant and atmospheric descriptions and a cast brimming with complex and intriguing characters made for a suspenseful climax to the series. Lawhead has shown his mastery of the trilogy by crafting the series so that the final book is even more dens
Neil
This is the third and final book in the Celtic Crusade series. I thought it was a good book, overall. It had a nice flow to it; it introduced the reader to other cultures and experiences throughout Europe and parts of the Middle East. It also had some weird leaps and jumps in logic, but c'est la vie. I am not quite sure how much it took away from the story, but the ending was a nice twist.

This one starts out with Duncan and Cait in Constantinople attending the wedding of one of the Emperor's rel
Brian Donahue
Dec 15, 2016 Brian Donahue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the first two but a nice wrap up to the series. If you like Lawhead, you'll like the series.
Jefferson Coombs
This series was a pretty good read. Some of it was a little overly violent.
Elaine
Sep 10, 2011 Elaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A most satisfying conclusion to this stunning trilogy by gifted author Lawhead.The responsibilty for the grail is passed down to the grandaughter of Murdo, the original pilgrim and guardian. Although there isn't as much action as there was in the previous two segments, this final installment nonetheless is simply page turning. Some wonderful characters (especially Cait, and the Nordic contingent), ensure that speculation and twists in the plot are never far away. The more up to date segments imp ...more
Josiah DeGraaf
Aug 06, 2014 Josiah DeGraaf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had great character arcs and a strong villain. While I didn't enjoy it as much as the previous book, it was still a good finish for the series. Lawhead knows how to write, and there were several very poignant scenes in the book that are able to create very clear images in your head about what's going on. Like with the other books, I feel like it exalts "Christian artifacts" too much, however, barring that, it was an otherwise good read.

3.5-4 stars. (Very Good)
Jared Leonard
Apr 14, 2007 Jared Leonard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
In this last installment we find Caitriona, the granddaughter of Murdo and the daughter of Duncan, embarking on what will be the final relic collected by this family. The "mystic rose" is another name for the Holy Grail, as those of you who've read the Davinci Code probably already know. Lawhead brings this adventurous trilogy to a fine conclusion and if you've made it through the previous two books, this is a must read.
Keith
Feb 23, 2009 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as compelling as Black Rood, but still well done. Mystic Rose is a nice rap up of the series. I’m not exactly sure where others get pagan mysticism from this, but the secret society bit I found distracting not only in this book but the series as a whole. Not that it was poorly done, just that I didn't see that it was at all necessary.
Tom Lambrecht
May 27, 2016 Tom Lambrecht rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great finish to the trilogy. Not as much action as the previous volumes, but still suspenseful. I liked the way the author wove an authentic Christian faith throughout the series, and no less in this book.
Kate
Mar 25, 2008 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my absolute favorite book in the Celtic Crusades trilogy. I love the main character, Cait. She is everything I could hope to be as a woman! Adventuresome, fiery, honest, struggling... This story is one that I will read and read again.
Meghan
Oct 11, 2011 Meghan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed this one. A couple of plot twists that weren't quite believable, but on the whole an excellent story and conclusion to the series. I loved the main character and her transformations, as well as finding out what the purpose of the young Scottish narrator was.
Arnoud Visser
Jan 24, 2016 Arnoud Visser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The heroin character is great. Headstrong, not always making the right decisions, but very believable. A pity that her main opponent, the head of the Templars, is so evil that it is no longer a character.
Annika
Jan 24, 2013 Annika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final book in the trilogy. I'm a bit sad to see it end. This one didn't seem to have quite the same drama as the first two, but I still enjoyed the read. Look forward to exploring more by Lawhead.
Adam Ross
Jan 17, 2009 Adam Ross rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Again, compellingly written and I think that Lawhead's other works are of excellent quality, but he tries to mix Christianity and pagan mysticism together and the effect is distracting to the believer.
Dom&Karen
Dom: Good historical fiction, quick read. I like stories with the plot of 'you meant it for evil but God meant it for good'.
Tome Addiction
The third book in the series better than the second book but not as good as the first.

You have to start at the beginning so go read the 'The Iron Lance".
Georgie Penn
This series was getting just a little old by the third book. It took me forever to read it, not just because I was busy, but it really didn't hold my interest. Rather cliche as well.
Rob
Oct 17, 2012 Rob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Mystic Rose I believe was my favorite book from the Celtic Crusades series! I thought Lawhead's depiction of the vision Cait had was beautifully written.
Amber
Amber rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2008
Crystal Jeffries
Crystal Jeffries rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2012
Cindy
Cindy rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2014
Darren Westerhuis
Darren Westerhuis rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2014
Carol Keen
Carol Keen rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2014
Gonçalo Almeida
Gonçalo Almeida rated it it was ok
Jan 27, 2014
Michael Willieme
Michael Willieme rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2013
David Staples
David Staples rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2014
Tim Blok
Tim Blok rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2012
Jacob
Jacob rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2012
  • The Mosaic of Shadows (Demetrios Askiates, #1)
  • Behold the Dawn
  • Undercurrent
  • The Winning of Barbara Worth
  • My Merlin Series (The Complete Trilogy)
  • Warrior Poet: Before David Was King
  • The Realms Thereunder (The Ancient Earth, #1)
  • Haunted Tree (The Magus Family Chronicles, #1)
  • The Hand That Bears the Sword
  • Rite of Conquest (William the Conqueror, #1)
  • Harald Hardrada: The Last Viking
  • Not for Glory (The Douglas Trilogy #3)
  • The Amber Room
  • The Griffin's Boy (The Griffin Riders' Chronicles, #1)
  • Lion Of The Sun (Warrior of Rome, #3)
  • The Book of the Sword (Hallowed Isle, #1)
  • The Lazarus Trap
  • Isle of Fire (Isle of Swords, #2)
Stephen R. Lawhead is an internationally acclaimed author of mythic history and imaginative fiction. His works include Byzantium, Patrick, and the series The Pendragon Cycle, The Celtic Crusades, and The Song of Albion.

Also see his fanpage at Myspace:

Stephen was born in 1950, in Nebraska in the USA. Most of his early life was spent in America where he earned
More about Stephen R. Lawhead...

The Celtic Crusades (3 books)
  • The Iron Lance (The Celtic Crusades, #1)
  • The Black Rood (The Celtic Crusades, #2)