Hacking Matter: Levitating Chairs, Quantum Mirages, and the Infinite Weirdness of Programmable Atoms

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Programmable matter is probably not the next technological revolution, nor even perhaps the one after that. But it's coming, and when it does, it will change our lives as much as any invention ever has. Imagine being able to program matter itself-to change it, with the click of a cursor, from hard to soft, from paper to stone, from fluorescent to super-reflective to invisi
Published March 19th 2003 by Basic Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Hacking Matter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hacking Matter

Julia
I genuinely enjoyed reading Hacking Matter. The language was complicated, but attempting to decipher McCarthy’s meaning was a challenge I relished. Reading his vision for the future, one of glowing cities and homes that are electrically self-sufficient, renewed my interest in physics and engineering. I became excited about the future again. I also appreciated the tone McCarthy used when discussing quantum dots. Using phrases like, “Their finding: much weirdness,” and “Alchemist Roger Bacon, in h...more
Michael Hall
A good introduction to the possible future applications of programmable matter and quantum physics applied to technology in general for those who might have heard of such things before. It makes for an interesting read but the non-physics and/or computer minded need not bother.
David
This is heady stuff, but the science may fly over the heads of many (myself included) at least part of the time. A knowledge of physics and electronics is helpful. This is not nanotechnology he's writing about, which funcions on a mechanical model, this is quantum dot technology, which attempts to harness the mind-warping physics of Eistein and beyond. Short book, imaginative and informative.
Jef
Well, can you say pretty paint. That's what the quantum dots have been used for, mostly in biological dies. I can't find any further evidence of the wellstone of quantum technology. Though I find the research aspects of the quantum wells fascinating.

Paul
The technology described in this book is super cool, creating materials using silicon chips. Who knows if this will ever come to fruition, but if it did we could have super-efficient solar cells and highly energy efficient buildings and homes.
Deanna Knippling
Fun stuff. I think the book did a good job of explaining both the basic science (for those of us who don't do this on a daily basis) and the ideas behind the quantum dots.
BAKU
This is all about quantum dots ( which I think should be called quantum cells ) and it doesn't skip on details
Mike
A super well written book detailing the world of Quantum Physics.
Tom
Whew! Calls for occasional breaks for brain cell recovery.
Gary Levin
A very interesting read!
Kunal Lyf
Feb 06, 2013 Kunal Lyf marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
gud
Bryan Cross
Bryan Cross marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Toma Chicerman
Toma Chicerman marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
John
John is currently reading it
Jun 25, 2014
Erik
Erik added it
May 03, 2014
Marco
Marco marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Ryan
Ryan added it
Dec 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Science fiction author and Chief Technology Officer for Galileo Shipyards

Engineer/Novelist/Journalist/Entrepreneur Wil McCarthy is a former contributing editor for WIRED magazine and science columnist for the SyFy channel (previously SciFi channel), where his popular "Lab Notes" column ran from 1999 through 2009. A lifetime member of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, he has been...more
More about Wil McCarthy...
The Collapsium (The Queendom of Sol #1) Bloom The Wellstone (The Queendom of Sol #2) Lost in Transmission (The Queendom of Sol #3) To Crush the Moon (The Queendom of Sol #4)