Start by marking “The Dawn of a To-Morrow” as Want to Read:
The Dawn of a To-Morrow

The Dawn of a To-Morrow

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  80 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
This classic large print title is printed in 16 point Tiresias font as recommended by the Royal National Institute for the Blind
Paperback, Large Print Edition, 104 pages
Published January 1st 2006 by Echo Library (first published April 12th 1905)

To ask other readers questions about The Dawn of a To-Morrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dawn of a To-Morrow

Kat
Aug 06, 2014 Kat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful short story, which perfectly sets forth Francis Hodgson Burnett's philosophy of life in the form of an engaging narrative of a depressed and suicidal businessman who loses his way in a London fog and meets a number of strangers who change his outlook on life. It's a lot less cheesy than it sounds, I swear. The atmosphere of the writing perfectly fits the theme, and I really liked all of the characters, particularly the beggar girl, Glad.

As someone who has always enjoyed Burnett's nov
Thom Swennes
Mar 05, 2013 Thom Swennes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novella with a soap opera title surprisingly impressed me. When a depressed man decides to commit suicide, questions jump up in the reader’s mind like tin rabbits at a shooting gallery. The dismal fog that English cities are infamous for only adds to the dark powers gripping this unfortunate man. When a street urchin, prostitute and thief are added to the mix, you can be sure of a literary delicacy long to be savored and remembered. It is a truism that if others woes are known, yours don’t ...more
Jennice Mckillop
Dec 31, 2014 Jennice Mckillop rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all persons
Interesting story of a man intent on committing suicide. On the way to his place of demise, he threw a coin to a street urchin. She demanded to take him for a cup of coffee, where a thief grabbed the coin from her. Anthony chased the thief, caught him, and listened to his reason for stealing. This got him involved in the lives of the people in the neighborhood, who were in more dire conditions than he, which made him realize he had reasons to live. But there was much more to do and he got involv ...more
Sue
Jul 27, 2011 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A slightly strange short novel by an author better known for children's fiction. Antony Dart is the hero, and we meet him in dingy lodgings (despite being, evidently, a gentleman). He is depressed, and has determined to end it all.

The style is rather gothic at first with lengthy descriptions of the London fog that was common a hundred years ago, and which is responsible, a little later on, for Antony losing his way back to his lodgings after buying a hand gun. He throws a pound to an urchin gir
Wealhtheow
Jun 24, 2008 Wealhtheow rated it it was ok
Shelves: historical
This is an awful, heavy-handed, maudlin novella about a rich man who is saved from suicide by the pure, childlike faith of poor women. But amidst the sexism and classism and Faith In Jesus Solves Everything-ism, there lies Burnett's understanding of the evils of poverty. There is also a great little scene buried underneath dialect:

'"If you could do what you liked," he said, "what would you like to do?"
Her chuckle became an outright laugh.
"If I 'ad ten pounds?" she asked, evidently prepared to ad
Patricia
Jan 01, 2010 Patricia rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2010
I came across this book while moodily wandering the stacks and checked it out partially because I'd never read any adult fiction by Burnett, but primarily because it was incredibly short and I figured I could handle it.

Had I not started reading it at 1:23 am, I probably could have finished this in one sitting. This strikes me as something that originally was serialized in a magazine at the turn of the century. Unlike most books written before 1950 and written in dialect, this was an incredibly e
Gina House
Aug 11, 2014 Gina House rated it it was amazing
A beautifully simple novel reminding the reader that there is always love and hope in the world. We only need to look for it and believe in it's presence. I loved this book.
Lanelle
Jan 15, 2016 Lanelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: out-of-copyright
This is an amazing novella. It reminds me of the hymn 'God Moves in a Mysterious Way' and the story how the author came to write the lyrics.
Doreen
Feb 27, 2015 Doreen rated it liked it
the story remains relevant in the 21st century. if one is ever feeling depressed, this novella may well cure it.
Samantha Glasser
Read this book for free through Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/460/46...
Claudia Nelson
Feb 09, 2014 Claudia Nelson rated it liked it
Quite short novel, but yet inspiring enough to for anyone who needs a pick-me upper.
Angela
Sep 11, 2012 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
One of the collection of Burnett's works that I purchased in Nook compilation form. This is essentially a story of a man at the precipice of suicide who, in a most unlikely way, learns the value of life and a means of making his own life have value to others--saving himself in the process. For all of us who wish that we had in order that we might give, this is a very powerful story.
Tara Lynn
Apr 23, 2009 Tara Lynn rated it liked it
I've read all of her children's books so often, I know some of them by heart, but this was my first forage into her books written for an adult audience. I was pleasantly surprised. I think I'll try to find more. Gutenberg has a pretty good selection.
Bish Denham
Jun 28, 2012 Bish Denham rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is an EXCELLENT little story about hope and faith. I have no idea if Burnett wrote it for children or not, it seems a little mature for the younger set, and the written dialect may put some readers off. But I loved it.
Emily
Sep 25, 2013 Emily rated it it was amazing
A curious book, with unusual realism. I review it on my blog: http://surfeitofbooks.blogspot.com/20...
Judy
Jan 19, 2011 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another free Kindle book I read while in Tucson. I'll tell you about it after I finish entering all the books.
Nagisa
Aug 28, 2013 Nagisa rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1900-1949
I didn't expect that the story would be super religious.
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Jemma
Jemma rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2016
Becky
Becky rated it it was ok
May 05, 2016
Rick Vetrone
Rick Vetrone rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Charlotte Erin
Charlotte Erin marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
F.S.M
F.S.M marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Tobyleaf
Tobyleaf marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Rebekah
Rebekah rated it it was ok
Mar 11, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
2041
Frances Eliza Hodgson was the daughter of ironmonger Edwin Hodgson, who died three years after her birth, and his wife Eliza Boond. She was educated at The Select Seminary for Young Ladies and Gentleman until the age of fifteen, at which point the family ironmongery, then being run by her mother, failed, and the family emigrated to Knoxville, Tennessee. Here Hodgson began to write, in order to sup ...more
More about Frances Hodgson Burnett...