Start by marking “The Night Drifter (St. Leger, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Night Drifter (St. Leger, #2)

The Night Drifter (St. Leger #2)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  569 ratings  ·  31 reviews
In this sequel to "The Bride Finder, " Lance St. Leger leaves his body behind as he lets his spirit drift into the night and into the home of a sheltered widow. When she mistakes him for the ghost of Sir Lancelot, Lance teases and tempts her and fills her with yearning. Little does he know then that a murderous enemy threatens his inherited powers.
Published February 1st 2000 by Ivy Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Night Drifter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night Drifter

Kathy
This is the second book in the St. Leger series. I didn’t like this one as much as I liked The Bride Finder. This is the story of Lance St. Leger, son of Anatole and Madeline, who were the main characters in The Bride Finder. As with all St. Leger’s, Lance has a special magical kind of ability. He can “night drift” out of his body to wherever he wants to be.

Lance, the eldest twin son and heir has returned from battle while his parents are away. The story begins with Lance losing the St. Leger S
Christine
In this second book of the St. Leger series, Lance St. Leger is presented with his destined bride, a fanciful lover of Arthurian legends who first meets Lance while he's night drifting -- leaving his body behind at night to wander the earth. She mistakes him for Sir Lancelot and his lost sword for Excalibur.

This premise was awkward. Rosaline falls in love with Sir Lancelot, but dislikes Lance on sight. I had trouble buying this. And when I did manage to suspend disbelief I found Rosalind to be
Sarah Raplee
The Night Drifter is a gem of an escapist book! The second in a trilogy, this book was an enjoyable read even though I hadn't (yet!) read the others. Susan Carroll builds a believable world in which a nineteenth-century family is rumored to have magical abilities--rightly so! The naive heroine hides from the bleakness of her life by pursuing an interest in legends. When she meets the hero in his magical form and mistakes him for the ghost of Sir Lancelot du Lac, she thinks she has fallen in love ...more
TJ
I found the storyline with the heroine refusing to acknowledge the man who loves her and wants to marry her because she is in love with a ghost really silly and, as that plot continues through the book, very annoying. Even when she accepts her love for Lance the plot twists remain too unbelievable to interest me.
Rachel
Such an interesting concept - night drifting. But really inventive. I love the Camolot subplot to this story. She is so dazzled by the ghost of Lancelot that it makes this book fun to read. (Again, you'll have to skip a couple pages.)
Erin
The first book in the series is much better. I read this one to see what had happened to the characters from the first one. I thought that Rosalind loved the ghost a bit too much. Read the first one.
Lycerlene
This book was the first one that belongs to this genre that I have read and by far, it had set my ratings high. The story Miss Carroll had weaved brought me into a world that I wish I have lived in.The tales of knights, magic, and true love as well as the elegance of the era had really caught my attention that willed me to hunt down the third book for I am unable to move on from the story. I wanted to be part of the legend, see what's the next chapter for the St. Legers. And now I also wish to g ...more
Deirdre
Lance St Leger is the eldest son and heir to Castle Leger and he's restless. He can allow his spirit/soul/consciousness/whatever to drift around in the night while his body remains behind (he/the author refer to it as "Night Drifting", most others call it Astral Travel). When he loses the family sword he decides to go hunting in this way, seeing as he had been at a fancy dress party as Lancelot the Knight this is what he appears to be when he's travelling and how he appears to the young widow Ro ...more
Melanie
I could not wait to read the 2nd book of The Bride Finder series this book begins with the two of the children from our main characters in book one, Lancelot the eldest twin son and heir has returned from the war and his parents are away and he is left in charge. Lance would rather not have these responsibilities, but oldest son it is his responsibility. The story begins with the loss of the St. Leger Bride Sword - a priceless family heirloom that gets passed on to the brides found for St. Leger ...more
Karen Wilson
Rachel
took a bit to get into. but i like the characters & stayed with it to the end. very enjoyable.
I found this second book in the St. Leger trilogy to be a little silly. I don't read books like this expecting literary masterpieces, but it just seemed silly and contrived to me. The magical talent of Lance St. Leger is that his soul can leave his body and drift through the night. And then when he does this and is caught by a Rosalind, a lovely young widow, he pretends to be the ghost of Sir Lancelot of the Arthurian legend. Really, is that the best Carroll could come up with? I'm hoping that t ...more
Cristina Contilli
"Tu eri una damigella in ambasce, avevi bisogno di un eroe, di quel genere di eroe che io ho sempre desiderato essere, un cavaliere in armatura scintillante, e mi vedevi proprio come se lo fossi stato... per qualche tempo ho potuto fingere di esserlo."

Non sentendosi "degno" della donna che ama il protagonista di questo romanzo sceglie di essere ciò che lei desidera per essere ricambiato, ma quando l'inganno si svela dovrà faticare non poco per riconquistare la fiducia di Rosalind... un romanzo d
Marianne
About 4.5 stars. Carroll writes the exact type of hero I love best. Tortured, honorable, and genuinely nice underneath his rough exterior. I thought Rosalind was kind of dopey at times, which is the only thing that brought this down from a pure 5. Just a very sweet, satisfying story with plenty of additional plot lines to make it into something even better. WANT MORE!! WANT MORE NOW!!
Chris
I love Susan Carroll's stories of the St. Leger family. This 2nd book of the St Leger series is the enchanting tale of widow Lady Rosalind Carlyon and the eldest St Leger son and rake, Lance St Leger. Lady Rosalind is an imaginative and romantic dreamer who crosses paths with Lance while in his ghost like persona using his unusual night drifting gift. It's a sometimes amusing, emotional and romantic story of love and forgiveness.
A. R.
Have read all three of the St. Leger series and like this one the best. I read them out of order which eliminated some of the surprise in the ending of this book, but still enjoyed the story. I like her style, although not a huge fan of the ripling muscle romance. In her writing I think it is a little tongue in cheek (as in he wore indecently tight breeches) and found myself chuckling over the descriptions.
Judith (Judith'sChoiceReads)
definitely not as stunning as the first one, I found myself skipping some pages with this one - yes, guilty! it just didn't grab me, but Carroll's writing was still stellar, read this book for that. Because I'm a fan of hers I couldn't give this a two, it's the curse of the 2nd book in action and it happens.
Irishgirl1247
reread Sept 2013

My favorite St. Ledger book. I really liked Lance and Rosalind. Yes both of them can be a little stupid at times, but I felt like it was a realist stupid, if that make sense. As opposed to an annoying stupid, both of them always mean well.
Katherine
Okay, I probably enjoyed this one more than I should have. I knew ahead of time, though, that I would have to skip a couple of parts. I'm not sure how graphic they got, I just skipped ahead when it started to get iffy for me. So, not exactly clean, but a fun story!
Trisha
I have read the book before this story - The Bride Finder, and once again an okay read.
We are with 2 of the children of the previous characters in The Bride Finder. The 2 boys (twins) are set to use the services of the bride finder for themselves
Haley
This is the second book in the series and I really enjoyed it. Like I said before, this is a paranormal series but I thought I am getting more used to it and it is definitely a different idea. I like it.
MAP
One of those guilty pleasures. Ultimately, this series is kind of cheesy, but the fact remains that I finished the book the same day I picked it up. So it's got something going for it.
Karen Hogan
A young widow falls in love with Lance St. Leger who magically appears to her as a ghost in the night. This book was good, but I loved "The Bride Finder", first book in this series...
Shannon
Book was good. I guess I am used to a different style of PNR. May have helped if I had actually read The bride finder first. DUH!!!
Brittany
This was my favorite in the series. I loved the romance and mystery involved.
Roxanne
Aug 23, 2009 Roxanne rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Roxanne by: Mike Carcel
Really silly, really fun historical fantasy romance. An enjoyable fluffy read.
Mary Ann

Seemed more suitable for a romantic teenager

Emaline Lapinski
A bit too short for my liking, but a good book
Fareeha
A sweet, sweet tale. Brings a smile to my face :)
  • The Star Witch (Fyne Witches, #3)
  • The Hidden Heart (Aincourt's Hearts, #2)
  • The Indiscretion
  • Surrender to a Wicked Spy (Royal Four, #2)
  • The Cursed One (Wild Wulfs of London, #3)
  • My Shadow Warrior (MacDonell Brides, #3)
  • The Portrait
  • Beyond Sunrise
  • Untouched
  • The Sword Maiden (Celtic Nights, #3)
  • The Stolen Bride
  • The Blood of Roses (Highlands, #2)
  • Touched by Fire
  • Miss Lockharte's Letters (Regency Romance)
22042
Born Susan Carol Cute in 1952, Susan Coppula obtained a Degree in English with complementary studies in History in the University of Indiana. Since 1986, Susan has published books under three different pseudonyms: Susan Carroll, Susan Coppula, andSerena Richards

More about Susan Carroll...
The Dark Queen (The Dark Queen Saga, #1) The Courtesan (The Dark Queen Saga, #2) The Silver Rose (The Dark Queen Saga, #3) The Huntress (The Dark Queen Saga, #4) The Bride Finder (St. Leger, #1)