Start by marking “The 4 Day Win: Change The Way You Think About Food And Your Body In Just 4 Days” as Want to Read:
The 4 Day Win: Change The Way You Think About Food And Your Body In Just 4 Days

The 4 Day Win: Change The Way You Think About Food And Your Body In Just 4 Days

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  319 ratings  ·  36 reviews
'The 4-Day Win' is fun to read and full of new ideas that are effortless to try and which will help you modify your attitude to food in a series of tiny steps which will lead to permanent change. Beck gives all dieters hope that at last they will be able to succeed in losing and keeping those extra pounds off.
Published January 1st 2008 by Piatkus Books (first published December 19th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The 4 Day Win, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 4 Day Win

Kathleen Heuer
After losing and regaining the same 60 lbs twice (not counting all the attempts in between), I finally concluded that the key to taking weight off and keeping it off can't be just working out and eating right.

It had to be something psychological. Maybe something hardwired. Something I couldn't quite put my finger on.

Martha Beck's book showed me where exactly to put my finger, so to speak. She covered a myriad of obstacles that present themselves along one's weight loss journey.

And blessedly, she...more
Helynne
"The only diet skill you'll ultimately need is the ability to create inner calm" says wise and funny author Martha Beck (325). The Four-Day Win is a down-to-earth and often hilarious read about getting off the diet carousel and establishing a lifetime of sensible eating habits. I know that certain LDS people may not want to support a work by Martha Beck because of her book of a few years ago called Leaving the Saints in which she not only describes her exit from Mormonism, but also bad-mouths h...more
Tami
We all know that in order to lose weight we have to eat less and move more. This seems like a simple and obvious concept, so why doesn't it work. Why is it that the harder you try to lose weight (eating less and less and exercising more and more) the more likely that you end up craving junk food, binging, and eventually giving up? The Four Day Win gives us the answer.

Losing weight and being healthy isn't about willpower, starving ourselves to death, or exercising until we pass out. In fact, stu...more
Susan
I started reading this last month around the time I joined weight watchers. Between this program and that, I was losing weight very quickly -- too quickly, according to the eTools on WW's website. Then I stopped. Reading, that is, and doing the exercises Beck recommends. Big mistake. My weight started climbing again because I wasn't feeding the Wild Child that seeks food when it can't have what it wants. Lesson learned. Beck is back in my regime and this time, with her help and Weight Watchers',...more
Lauren
I read this book in spurts. I originally picked it up from the library but it was a new book and could only be checked out for a measly 7 days! I checked it out again (but after a lengthy break) and couldn't finish it in time. I finally bought it and yes it took me forever to finish but not because I don't find it to be an excellent book and resource.

I am a fan of Martha Beck's candid and conspiratorial style of writing. I wish I could handle all of her Four Day win suggestions. I am going to ha...more
While she does try a little too hard to be witty, the book does have some really good stuff about why trying to eat right isnt about "will power" and ways to get in better touch with what your body needs. While it is a "diet book" in the sense that she says that the end result of learning to eat this way will be weight loss, it's actually more of a psychology book, helping you observe your own eating habits and finding a way to be more at peace. It's helping me in the quest to overcome sugar add...more
Caryl Morgan
May 10, 2007 Caryl Morgan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Women; Dieters
I love Martha Beck since I read Finding Your True North Star.
This book gave me wonderful added insights about how to lose weight and stay thin forever! Understanding the interplay between my Dictator, Wild Child (synonymous with our inborn primitive drive to stay alive in times of LACK-ATTACK) and the Watcher who sends them both Compassion, Understanding and Love - make for a Zen of Dieting kind of read which I appreciate. It throws light on the emotional hunger side of dieting and I for one am...more
Kristen
Excellent book! I originally bought it at the recommendation of my therapist. The Four-Day Win uses the transtheoretical model of change to teach your brain and body to work together so that eating less and moving more becomes natural and ingrained.

I did not do the exercises as I read, as I am the type that has to read all of the instructions before starting something, but now that I have read it, I am excited to start the activities.

So much of what Martha Beck wrote made sense on an innate lev...more
Patrice
I am still reading this, but dont know how to edit this. I heard lots of positive feedback from others who read it . I will let you know soon.
so I have finished this, it is really a workbook and reflective push for a person. I will keep it handy for rereads, as it is a book to go back to and keep the work going, why we are who we are, what we do and why, whether excercise, diet or relationships. Liked it a great deal, and feel is is a good help for me. The writer is funny, tells it like it is,...more
Kelly
Apparently either one loves Martha Beck or detests her. I have enjoyed all of her books. This allegedly is a "diet" book but 200 pages in I have yet to read a recommendation about exercise or food. Indeed, Beck writes about our interior belief system that affects our relationship with our bodies, our lives, and ultimately our figure. I think that this is a fabulous book for anyone, regardless of where s/he is on the weight continuum. Beck reminds us that it is our interior reality that determine...more
Cara
Sep 15, 2011 Cara marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This book demands I turn my attention to a problem that's not very high on my priority list right now. Also, I'm finding the author's self-deprecating humor grating. May be returning unfinished. I think she's right about the scarcity mentality being a big part of many people's problems with losing weight--I had a brush with that myself a few years back and dropped it like a hot potato.
...

Yep, returning unfinished. Just don't feel like reading this. Maybe some day it will bubble up to the top.
Dorothy Sander
Practical, step by step guidance for taking control of your life and your dreams.
Lychee
Nov 20, 2010 Lychee marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I've enjoyed Beck's previous efforts (Finding Your Own North Star, Steering by Starlight, and The Joy Diet), so although I am not undertaking any kind of effort to end my diet war or achieve thinner peace, I am curious about the four day win approach/tool. Especially now that I'm moving into moonlighting as a life coach, it gives reading self-help books a whole new added layer of analysis.
Liz
Completely based on outdated theories of weight loss, it is a good thing that the author herself has naturally been more of an anorexic, not true "heavy." Some of her mental exercises could be useful, but the book needs to be entirely re-written with someone who understands the body in a scientific manner, rather than folklorically.
Jacqueline
There were some good things in here, but it was one of those books that I kept plodding along with hoping for inspiration in the next chapter and not finding. It wasn't bad. It just wasn't what I was looking for. When I realized that continuing was like pushing through molasses, I decided to stop.
Jun 27, 2009 Jennifer is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book so far. It is already helping me eat healthier because of asking me to be less ambitious in my eating goals, thus making them attainable and I go well beyond my goal each day. Martha Beck makes me laugh out loud.
Laila
I didn't make it all the way through this one, but it's something I'm glad that I bought. I can go back when I feel like I need a little reminder. This is a great book if you have emotional eating issues.
Lisa
Best book on the relationship we have with food! It take Geneen Roth's ideas (don't overeat), and has many brain exercises to help you shift the way you act around food. I highly recommend it.
Shaina Leis
This book is great if you're struggling with your weight or you're interested in weight loss coaching. Since this isn't my forte, I gave it 3 stars, but I love Martha Beck's writing!
Jill Gilbert
This is a book that does not promise a quick fix for weight loss, but rather a gradual retraining of your mind for a permanently different mindset about food.
Janet Sorenson
This is a good book and helped me find a different idea to the stuggle to lose weight. I listened to the book on tape and now I'm reading it. I liked this book.
Kimberly Calderon
I love Martha Beck! If you haven't read "Finding Your Own North Star," do it! I'm just getting into this one, but it promises to be just as good. I'll check back..
Jenive
This self help book extends beyond your relationship with food and can apply to so many other areas of your life. Truly powerful and well written.
Selena Thomason
More brain-science than diet-science but that's the way I like it. Besides, I've yet to read anything of Martha Beck's that I *didn't* like.
Gloriavirtutisumbra
Once again, Martha has made sense and made me laugh doing it.

2/13/2012 - just reread this, still hysterically funny and wise!
Laurie
I can't say this book has changed the way I eat, but that's on me and not the advice in this book. Just love Martha Beck!
Jamie
Amazing, excellent book on changing your relationship with food. Martha Beck is pretty much a genius in all areas of life. :)
Denise
This is a really cool book. Although it's a diet book, it could really be used in other ways as well.
April
Actually.... I didn't quite finish this one. It was good, but not enough to make me want to finish.
Victoria Weinstein
Dear Martha Beck, would you PLEASE STOP trying so hard to be hip and funny? JESUS.

Sincerely, Vicki
  • When Food Is Love: Exploring the Relationship Between Eating and Intimacy
  • Circle of Stones: Woman's Journey to Herself
  • The Gabriel Method: The Revolutionary DIET-FREE Way to Totally Transform Your Body
  • The Truth about Beauty: Transform Your Looks and Your Life from the Inside Out
  • Changing for Good: A Revolutionary Six-Stage Program for Overcoming Bad Habits and Moving Your Life Positively Forward
  • Potatoes Not Prozac
  • Co-active Coaching: New Skills for Coaching People Toward Success in Work and Life
  • The Prosperous Heart: Creating a Life of "Enough"
  • The Diet Cure
  • Live the Life You Love: In Ten Easy Step-By Step Lessons
  • Immunity to Change: How to Overcome It and Unlock the Potential in Yourself and Your Organization
  • The Power of Mindful Learning
  • Curious?: Discover the Missing Ingredient to a Fulfilling Life
  • The Exquisite Risk: Daring to Live an Authentic Life
  • The Creative Fire
  • This Is Not the Life I Ordered: 50 Ways to Keep Your Head Above Water When Life Keeps Dragging You Down
  • Awakening Joy: 10 Steps That Will Put You on the Road to Real Happiness
  • The Cultural Creatives: How 50 Million People Are Changing the World
Martha Beck is a writer and "life coach" who specializes in helping people design satisfying and meaningful life experiences. She holds a bachelor's degree in East Asian Studies and master's and Ph.D. degrees in sociology, all from Harvard University.

She worked as a research associate at Harvard Business School, studying career paths and life-course changes in today's economic and social environme...more
More about Martha N. Beck...
Expecting Adam: A True Story of Birth, Rebirth, and Everyday Magic Finding Your Own North Star: Claiming the Life You Were Meant to Live Leaving the Saints: How I Lost the Mormons and Found My Faith Steering by Starlight: Find Your Right Life, No Matter What! The Joy Diet: 10 Daily Practices for a Happier Life