Start by marking “How to Make a Journal of Your Life” as Want to Read:
How to Make a Journal of Your Life

How to Make a Journal of Your Life

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  1,252 ratings  ·  41 reviews
When nomad artist and free spirit Dan Price began jotting down his musings in the form of whimsical drawings and inspired prose, he hardly could have imagined that his self-published journal-zine, the MOONLIGHT CHRONICLES, would earn him a cult following across the country. Now in its twentieth edition, the MOONLIGHT CHRONICLES has brought Dan's creed of "truth, beauty, an ...more
Published September 1st 1999 by Ten Speed Press (first published August 1999)

To ask other readers questions about How to Make a Journal of Your Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Make a Journal of Your Life

Wreck This Journal by Keri SmithThis Is Not a Book by Keri SmithSteal Like an Artist by Austin KleonThinking with Type by Ellen LuptonLet's Make Some Great Art by Marion Deuchars
Artsy & Cute Non-Fiction Books
28th out of 111 books — 58 voters
The Power of Myth by Joseph CampbellThe Hero With a Thousand Faces by Joseph CampbellThe Selfish Gene by Richard DawkinsThe Man Without Qualities by Robert MusilThe Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge by Rainer Maria Rilke
How we see the world
58th out of 171 books — 58 voters

More lists with this book...

Daniela
A tiny, inspirational book about keeping a diary including the art of writing, sketching, collage and photography. I especially enjoyed the chapter about photography since this is a topic rarely mentioned in books about journaling (at least to my knowledge). Since this is only 100 pages and small format, most topics are only briefly touched upon, but it can whet your appetite to learn more about the techniques mentioned.

What I like most about it is that Dan's writing is so laid-back and encourag
Angela
I originally picked up this little book at the library book sale to pass this on to my Mom-in-law, who does keep a journal, mostly of little paintings. but as I started to peruse this little book, I decided to read it first, and THEN pass it on to her. I have kept a diary on and off since I was 4? maybe. I remember mom used to put down what I did in a day book (it was a cool diary that had five years in one book -- I may try to find another like it.) -- Anyway, I would like to start doing so aga ...more
Kate  Maxwell
What a neat, little book on journaling. And not just journaling...but documenting life around you. First, write about whatever, but more importantly, ADD to the journal, with drawing, photos, snippets and pieces found around you. There is a small portion on taking good photos, how to sketch with the right side of your brain, and saving those little mementos from life and add them to your journal with a note. There is even a small piece on making your own journal to fill and how rewarding it is t ...more
Bonnie Burton
If you've ever thought of starting a journal but didn't know where to begin you have Dan Price to show you the way. His handwritten book on how to write, document, illustrate and doodle a journal is priceless. He makes it look easy and super fun! I suggest you get this book to help get you excited about journaling!
T.
Dan Price gets it. There are so many struggles in really embracing and living a creative life, but sometimes more than the people around me, the only real obstacle is myself. This book is a good reminder of that. I have scribbled all over the margins (only to find out that there are some spaces provided at the end of the book for notes!), and well -- here are some of the things I liked:

"You see, your mind will be saying obnoxious things like this: 1. WHAT MAKES YOU THINK YOU HAVE ANYTHING WORTHW
Brittanie
I've been keeping a journal since I was 13 years old. This book is a cute, somewhat useful itty bitty guide to journaling. I especially liked the section on sketching, and others might find the collaging and photography sections helpful, but in all, a little too cutesy and not as in-depth as I would have liked.
Julie Macaller
I liked the encouraging tone throughout and the sections on sketching, photography, and collage. Definitely some good ideas in a whimsical format.
Vicky
This book is cute and creative but I much more prefer Danny Gregory's books. They are filled more ideas and a bit more inspiring
Kelly Leigh
A great little treat of a book that will forever live off the bookshelf.
Kelly Pratt
Loved the possibilities this book inspired.
Greta
I liked this book better the second time around and would give it four stars now. The author gives some good advice for journal-keeping and using drawings and photos and found objects to document your journey through life. The book is all hand-drawn and illustrated and the author was a bit of a nomad who has a zest for life all of which is motivating and contagious. And he lives in Joseph, Oregon which is a great place I spent a lot of summers in when I was a child. Extra points for that.
Stephanie Dalphin
AUTHOR: PRICE, Dan
TITLE: How to Make A Journal of Your Life
DATE READ: 2/06/2011
RATING: 4.0/B
GENRE/PUB DATE/PUBLISHER/# OF Pages: Self Discovery/1999/Ten Speed Press/116 pages
SERIES/STAND ALONE: Stand Alone
TIME/PLACE: N/A
CHARACTERS: N/A
FIRST LINES: Has your intuition been telling you to get an empty journal and begin filling it with all the interesting events of your life? Well, time is racing by.
Comments: Inspiring quick read. Now where is my journal?
Diva
A beautiful,lovely, childish book, you will feel that the guy is actually talking to you.
and I realised, a little be amusedly, that I was already doing all those things he was talking about so fascinated!that didn't deduce at all from the pleasure of reading, it was like he was opening up his own personal, creative journal for me to peep in to,and take notes and store up memories.
a must read.
Tristy
This is a sweet book full of jubilant inspiration and great drawings. Dan Price is like a best friend who is always calling to get you to come on a hike with him and draw. This is a great little book to check in with when you need a little reminder about what is important in life.
Judy
Nov 07, 2008 Judy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: writers
Recommended to Judy by: marne
Shelves: book-making, art
A quick read with some good advice. I rather didn't like his tone with the photography chapter even if he is an expert and all. I don't think it's wise to make fun of someone's choice of subject (ie close ups of flowers). So I knocked off a star. Sorry dude.
Mike
This book is mentioned in Danny Gregory's the Creative License, which I can see how Danny was inspired by Dan Price. For me though, having been introduced to Danny's work first, this book seems a bit lack luster to me. Still a fun and quick read though.
Kim
Such a neat little book full of encouragement and inspiration for anyone looking to begin - or continue - journalling. Well designed, full of practical ideas, great illustrations, and lots of good stuff. A great addition to my studio library!!
Colleenish
This book inspired me to draw, think, look, and commemorate. Some of the ideas that Price advocates I do naturally; Some I don't care to do. Still, it gave me suggestions so that I don't get into a journaling rut.
Rosemary
I teach watercolor journaling and I'm always on the lookout for good books/information that I can share with my students - and use myself. Dan Price's books are always inspiring and filled with good stuff!
Minay
Jan 14, 2008 Minay rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: wishful journal keepers
Recommended to Minay by: saw online
Shelves: non-fiction
Off-beat and amusing book to enjoy reading or to launch you onto the journal-keeping experience. Very short, yet informative and lots of thoughtful ideas. A little hippy style, but very enjoyable.
Pamela
Sep 22, 2014 Pamela marked it as to-read
I was recently given a copy by a friend of mine....I wish I'd had it when I was in college, it would have helped so much! I'm only on page 32 but so far it's a delightful little arty book.
Wendi
Good to help inspire, encourage, and jump-start journaling. Drawing to remember intuitively seems more sensical as we are primarily visual beings.
Amy
fun, inspiring book on journaling. It has me desiring to make illustrated pages of my life now.
(The info about photos is a little dated.)
Paulette
Really helpful for anyone who wants to journal in a different way. Good suggestions for photography and drawing in your journal.
Syndee
This was the first book I found on illustrated journaling back in 1999. I love that it's all hand-drawn and simple yet detailed.
Alohadudenyc
dan price encourages all to stop--pick up a pen/pencil/whatever!--and record some of the moments in your life. what a gift!
Megan
I read aloud to my 5 year old. She loved it too. It's concise well written fun. Thought provoking.
Steve Burgon
Feb 28, 2008 Steve Burgon rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Steve by: sl co library system
If you're into this sort of thing, it's the best, scrapbooking holds no value compared to this.
Sarah O'Flaherty
Again, inspiring. This is brilliant for anyone wanting to add some creativity to their life.
Deloris
Add interest to journal with photos, flat things, drawings - short - a few good tips
  • The Decorated Page: Journals, Scrapbooks & Albums Made Simply Beautiful
  • Everyday Matters
  • 1000 Journals Project
  • Living Out Loud: Activities to Fuel a Creative Life
  • Cover to Cover: Creative Techniques for Making Beautiful Books, Journals & Albums
  • Kaleidoscope: Projects and Ideas to Spark Your Creativity
  • The Complete Guide to Altered Imagery: Mixed-Media Techniques for Collage, Altered Books, Artist Journals, and More
  • Art Journals and Creative Healing: Restoring the Spirit Through Self-Expression
  • 1,000 Artist Journal Pages: Personal Pages and Inspirations
  • Visual Chronicles: The No-Fear Guide to Creating Art Journals, Creative Manifestos & Altered Books
  • Living the Creative Life: Ideas and Inspiration from Working Artists
  • Drawing From Life: The Journal as Art
  • The New Diary: How to use a journal for self-guidance and expanded creativity.
  • 52 Projects: Random Acts of Everyday Creativity
  • Artists' Journals and Sketchbooks: Exploring and Creating Personal Pages
  • Drawing Lab for Mixed-Media Artists: 52 Creative Exercises to Make Drawing Fun
  • True Vision: Authentic Art Journaling
  • A Trail Through Leaves: The Journal as a Path to Place
Radical Simplicity Moonlight Chronicles The Braces Journal My Tiny House Holden's Flight