Start by marking “I Remember Running: The Year I Got Everything I Ever Wanted - and ALS” as Want to Read:
I Remember Running: The Year I Got Everything I Ever Wanted - and ALS

I Remember Running: The Year I Got Everything I Ever Wanted - and ALS

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  23 reviews
A little over a year ago, Darcy Wakefield was a single, 33-year-old, athletic, workaholic English professor, a vegetarian who had never had a serious health problem or injury. Then she was diagnosed with ALS, and her world turned upside down. I Remember Running is Darcy's story of change and loss and challenges during her first year with ALS, as she struggles to make sense ...more
Published August 29th 2006 by Da Capo Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about I Remember Running, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Remember Running

TL Sumner
Let me start of by saying - ALS SUCKS. Like SUCK - SUCK - SUCK - SUCKS! My mother-in-law died after an incredibly short battle with ALS. I was with her during her last days and hours and let me just say again - ALS SUCKS.

So... I've had I Remember Running, and another memoir about ALS on my bookshelf for almost a year, emotionally not ready to read them.

I was certain I Remember Running would be a heart wrenching story about 33 year old Darcy Wakefield's struggle with this horrendous disease. I
Riley
Before reading this book I knew a little background information about ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease. I have seen stories about how it affect the loved ones around an ALS patient, but I had never seen what it was like to actually have ALS and what it did to a person, both physically and mentally.

Picking this book up caused me to see through the eyes of Darcy Wakefield, and what it was like to have a perfectly normal life and then have it "disappear" because you knew it wouldn't be norma
Kathleen
A series of essays written by an active, athletic young woman who learns she has ALS. She gets married shortly after her diagnosis and becomes pregnant. Very moving, very poignant book.

Please, readers, do what you can to help find a cure and support your local ALS chapters so families living with ALS can cope and have the medical equipment they need to make their lives easier.
BHodges
As a family member of a loved one who lost their life to ALS, I strongly recommend this book to people with ALS as well as their family and friends. I recognized so many pieces of my own experience here, and the experience of my loved one, clothed in Darcy's excellent prose. This book tells difficult truths about ALS without dwelling on them. If you're concerned that any book on ALS might be too much, given the frightening nature of the disease, I think Darcy struck a nice balance of acknowledgi ...more
Cheryl
If you think you are having a bad day, read this book. You'll never think the same again.
Diana

I enjoyed the book, as far as it went. It has a lighter tone than other books I've read by authors who had ALS. This book, however, seemed incomplete--it ends after the author gives birth to her son, who she conceived knowing she had ALS. The author seemed to have a rapidly progressing form of ALS, and we learn that she was weakened by the pregnancy, and was unable to care for her baby. The book abruptly ends there, and we aren't told how the family manages, what type of care the author receive
Bex
The book ended before her life did so I was left with a feeling of needing closure and more information. She did a great job of documenting her illness in its early stages though. Great read. Wish an epilogue with more detail were added at the end to help us readers fully understand the grasp Als had on her till the disease took her.
Amy Richard
This is a book that touches me at my very core. This wonderful woman was a member of my community growing up. She was a few years older than me but I idolized her younger sister, Betsy. The setting of some of the story is my home town. Its neat to hear about the pond I grew up on and to hear about places within my local scene. The sadness of this story is Darcy's battle with ALS. Its such an amazing story....and a sad one. I read this for a book club that I was doing in the school I worked at in ...more
Catherine
I gave this five stars because as far as I'm concerned, when someone is brave enough to write about their battle with an illness like ALS, who am I to judge the quality of their words? Truth be told, her writing is great anyway. The book is set up as a set of essays, each reflecting on an aspect of her life that is affected by her diagnosis and spans just over a year. She writes not just about the diagnosis itself, but about her adjustment to her constantly-changing life and body, her experience ...more
Arvydas Sidorenko
I bought it based on excellent Amazon reviews, but I didn't feel that impressed. The message of the book felt almost like those terrible self-improvement books. If it wouldn't be under 200 pages, I would have given up.
Apr 26, 2008 Laura rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Laura by: Julie Beckwell
I've read many books in which the author describes what their life is like since they became ill. I liked her approach - dividing into chapters describing how different aspects of her life are changing since being diagnosed with ALS. One word chapter titles - when the reader starts a new chapter, he/she is prepared to think about how this aspect of the author's is now affected. Wonderful to know that her baby is not affected but sad also to realize that as her baby develops and grows, simultaneo ...more
Holly Tripp
Unbelievably beautiful.
Abby
I've put off reading this book, but I'm glad to have read it today. Written as she is living with a terminal and horrible illness, going through pregnancy, becoming dependent, I appreciated wakefield's reflections on joy amidst sorrow, on past pleasures and regrets, and on living life in fast forward. It made me sigh, cry and hug my little people a few more times today.
Mary
Jul 19, 2013 Mary rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: memoir
The title caught me, as I used to be a runner, and am no longer. Sadly. This woman is an excellent writer. She details, in short short chapters, the saga of her finding the love of her life, and also being diagnosed with ALS. Kudos to her for writing this in the midst of a damaging disease.
Randall
Darcy Wakefield grew up across the street from me. Beautiful and intelligent and stricken with ALS in the prime of her life. This amazing autobiography shows her courage and positive attitude as she worked so hard to squeeze every drop from the rest of her life.
Judith
Nov 27, 2012 Judith rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Judith by: Professor
Pretty interesting for a book about a woman with a degenerative disease. It wasn't as depressing as I expected, nor was it as boring. Perhaps, this was because Wakefield was mostly in denial throughout the novel, which kind of frustrated me.
Amy Richard
This book is about a woman who grew up in my home town a few years ahead of me in school who battled with ALS. I knew her family well and the story is so heartwrenching yet so inspiring. PLEASE pick this up...you wont' regret it.
Lisa
Aug 09, 2007 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Runners, mothers, biography fans
An autobiographical month-by-month look of the author's diagnosis with ALS; she also meets the love of her life halfway across the country, gets pregnant, quits her job and buys a house, as she manages to come to terms with her illness.
Alicia Kachmar
This book made me cry. A LOT. But I learned about my own illness and am working towards a new perspective because of what Wakefield writes. I only hope that I can face my disease like she faced hers.
Katie
This was written by a good friend's friend. I had the opportunity to meet Darcy and was moved by her spirit, which is conveyed through her book. An inspiration.
Amy
Amazing- a book that helped me to be grateful for each step of a run!
Rebecca Foster
Rebecca Foster marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Moving Violations: War Zones, Wheelchairs, and Declarations of Independence
  • The Lost Night: A Daughter's Search for the Truth of Her Father's Murder
  • Dear Marcus: A Letter to the Man Who Shot Me
  • Blood and Sand
  • Montana Secrets
  • To Love What Is: A Marriage Transformed
  • Donovan's Child (Bravo Family, #30)
  • His Poor Little Rich Girl
  • (Just Like) Starting Over
  • The Mother Knot
  • The Riemann Hypothesis: The Greatest Unsolved Problem in Mathematics
  • No Language But a Cry
  • Her Mother's Daughter: A Memoir of the Mother I Never Knew and of My Daughter, Courtney Love
  • Proverbs of Ashes: Violence, Redemptive Suffering, and the Search For What Saves Us
  • Baby Kisses (Romance on the Ranch, #3)
  • The Autoimmune Epidemic: Bodies Gone Haywire in a World Out of Balance--And the Cutting-Edge Science That Promises Hope
  • A Journey Into the Deaf-World