Start by marking “Shakespeare Stories” as Want to Read:
Shakespeare Stories

Shakespeare Stories

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  142 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Twelve of Shakespeare's plays are presented here in a fresh narrative form with much of the original language skillfully woven into the author's own prose.
Published January 1st 1991 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Shakespeare Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shakespeare Stories

Anna Kļaviņa
12 Shakespeare plays retold as short stories.

The Prince was also reading; but there was a deeper likeness between Hamlet and Ophelia than such outward show. Each had been commanded by a father, one living, one dead, to play a part for which nature had not fashioned them: Ophelia for deceit, and Hamlet for murderous revenge.

♥Xeni♥
Dec 07, 2010 ♥Xeni♥ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, fiction, classic
This book frightened me a youngster. I think it was mainly the very disturbing artwork, although Shakespeare himself did come up with some bizarre scenes!

Still, this book did contribute to my modern-day love of Shakespeare's works, something that I will always be grateful for. You can't really count yourself a great reader (in my eyes anyway) if you don't find yourself with an affinity for some of the prose and verse that this man (or whatever, conspiracies aside, for this review) had used/inven
Tso William
Read this book with my student. A serviceable introduction to Shakespeare's plays with some beautiful rhyming writing.
Marta Asensio
Great to catch up on all the plots. Not as exciting as the plays themselves though.
dale paul
Jul 12, 2007 dale paul added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: A beginner
This book aids in one's first attempt at tilling the garden that is the mind for the arduous task of planting Shakespeare in the brain. The plays are broken down into detailed summaries that would make great bedtimes stories for young ones, save a few. It doesn't have all the plays, but most of the good ones. It does include snip-its from Shakespear's pen which is a plus.
Suzanne Vincent
Feb 02, 2011 Suzanne Vincent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book and it's companion volume II are an excellent way to introduce young readers to Shakespeare. Read-alouds for 2 through 5 graders, and read-alones for 6th through 9th, they are well-written, include numerous direct quotes from the plays, follow the storylines faithfully, and are punctuated with some beautiful ink and watercolor illustrations.
Gwennie
Apr 11, 2007 Gwennie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
I bought this book with my allowance when I was in 6th grade...adn I still love it to this day. These are faithful retellings of Shakespeare's plays in story form...and they include much of the beautiful language. Reading these helped me learn to love the plays as I got older.
Xandie
Dec 22, 2015 Xandie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theatre
While this is not a collection of Shakespeare's plays, it is the basic stories that Shakespeare wrote. It is a good book to give to children in order to introduce them to Shakespeare.
Holly
Shakespeare Stories is perfect for introducing the Bard to readers who are uncomfortable or unfamiliar with reading in play format.
Leah
Oct 27, 2007 Leah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was my first introduction to Shakespeare. My dad read the stories to me when I was little. I love the illustrations.
Kathleen
Aug 03, 2013 Kathleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Starting with King Lear, my daughter's gruesome choice. She's a rapt audience so far.
Elise
Jul 31, 2014 Elise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Read frequently by Constance. She likes it every much.
Concordian Library
29 Copies Available
2014-2015:

G7/8 Set
Marwa
Marwa marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Kate
Kate is currently reading it
Jan 28, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie is currently reading it
Jan 28, 2016
Sami
Sami rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
MinoMininni
MinoMininni rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Laura added it
Jan 22, 2016
Shana
Shana is currently reading it
Jan 20, 2016
Alina
Alina marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Karis
Karis is currently reading it
Jan 19, 2016
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Samantha Campbell
Samantha Campbell marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Jan 14, 2016
  • The Canterbury Tales (Puffin Classics)
  • The Friendly Shakespeare: A Thoroughly Painless Guide to the Best of the Bard
  • Becoming Shakespeare: The Unlikely Afterlife That Turned a Provincial Playwright into the Bard
  • A Pair of Red Clogs
  • Cleopatra
  • The Adventures Of Marco Polo
  • Around the World in a Hundred Years
  • A Midsummer Night's Dream for Kids
  • The Handy History Answer Book (1st Ed.)
  • Michelangelo
  • William Shakespeare & the Globe
  • City: A Story of Roman Planning and Construction
  • The Ark
  • The Boy's King Arthur: Sir Thomas Malory's History of King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table
  • Stories of the Pilgrims
  • Short Story Masterpieces
  • Dangerous Journey: The Story of Pilgrim's Progress
  • Wise Words
Leon Garfield, the distinguished author of more than thirty books for children and adults, has won numerous literary awards and honors, including the Carnegie Medal. Before his death in 1996, he lived in London with his wife, author Vivien Alcock, and their daughter.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Gar...
More about Leon Garfield...