Start by marking “Shakespeare Stories” as Want to Read:
Shakespeare Stories

Shakespeare Stories

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Twelve of Shakespeare's plays are presented here in a fresh narrative form with much of the original language skillfully woven into the author's own prose.
Published January 1st 1991 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Shakespeare Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shakespeare Stories

♥Xeni♥
This book frightened me a youngster. I think it was mainly the very disturbing artwork, although Shakespeare himself did come up with some bizarre scenes!

Still, this book did contribute to my modern-day love of Shakespeare's works, something that I will always be grateful for. You can't really count yourself a great reader (in my eyes anyway) if you don't find yourself with an affinity for some of the prose and verse that this man (or whatever, conspiracies aside, for this review) had used/inven
Concordian Library
29 Copies Available
2014-2015:

G7/8 Set
dale paul
Jul 12, 2007 dale paul added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: A beginner
This book aids in one's first attempt at tilling the garden that is the mind for the arduous task of planting Shakespeare in the brain. The plays are broken down into detailed summaries that would make great bedtimes stories for young ones, save a few. It doesn't have all the plays, but most of the good ones. It does include snip-its from Shakespear's pen which is a plus.
Suzanne Vincent
This book and it's companion volume II are an excellent way to introduce young readers to Shakespeare. Read-alouds for 2 through 5 graders, and read-alones for 6th through 9th, they are well-written, include numerous direct quotes from the plays, follow the storylines faithfully, and are punctuated with some beautiful ink and watercolor illustrations.
Gwennie
I bought this book with my allowance when I was in 6th grade...adn I still love it to this day. These are faithful retellings of Shakespeare's plays in story form...and they include much of the beautiful language. Reading these helped me learn to love the plays as I got older.
Azriella
While this is not a collection of Shakespeare's plays, it is the basic stories that Shakespeare wrote. It is a good book to give to children in order to introduce them to Shakespeare.
Holly
Shakespeare Stories is perfect for introducing the Bard to readers who are uncomfortable or unfamiliar with reading in play format.
Leah
This book was my first introduction to Shakespeare. My dad read the stories to me when I was little. I love the illustrations.
Kathleen
Starting with King Lear, my daughter's gruesome choice. She's a rapt audience so far.
Elise
Read frequently by Constance. She likes it every much.
Narin
Narin is currently reading it
Apr 26, 2015
Maryam
Maryam added it
Apr 25, 2015
Charlynn
Charlynn marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Amanda Deary
Amanda Deary marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Helen
Helen added it
Mar 30, 2015
Tory
Tory marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Elisheva
Elisheva is currently reading it
Mar 08, 2015
Victoria Webber
Victoria Webber marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
  • The Canterbury Tales (Puffin Classics)
  • The Friendly Shakespeare: A Thoroughly Painless Guide to the Best of the Bard
  • Cleopatra
  • Becoming Shakespeare: The Unlikely Afterlife That Turned a Provincial Playwright into the Bard
  • The World of Columbus and Sons
  • The Boy's King Arthur: Sir Thomas Malory's History of King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table
  • Wise Words: Family Stories That Bring the Proverbs to Life
  • The Handy History Answer Book (1st Ed.)
  • Free?: Stories About Human Rights
  • Short Story Masterpieces
  • The Story of Rolf and the Viking Bow
  • The Kingfisher History Encyclopedia
  • Beowulf: A New Telling
  • Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found
  • The Wanderings of Odysseus: The Story of "The Odyssey"
  • The Tale of the Firebird
  • Beorn the Proud
  • City: A Story of Roman Planning and Construction
Leon Garfield, the distinguished author of more than thirty books for children and adults, has won numerous literary awards and honors, including the Carnegie Medal. Before his death in 1996, he lived in London with his wife, author Vivien Alcock, and their daughter.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Gar...
More about Leon Garfield...
Smith Black Jack A Midsummer's Night Dream (Shakespeare Stories) Macbeth: From Shakespeare Stories The God Beneath the Sea