Start by marking “Love @ First Site” as Want to Read:
Love @ First Site

Love @ First Site

Spunky, sweet-natured Jessica Monroe is thirty-four years old and perfectly happy being single. Her girlfriends, however, disapprove. And when they secretly place a personal ad on a hot singles website on her behalf, Jess is reluctantly hurtled into the topsy-turvy world of online dating. A laugh-out-loud whirlwind of disastrous dates ensues, from Simon, who seems dreamy o ...more
Published May 9th 2006 by Broadway Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Love @ First Site, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love @ First Site

My Life in Pink & Green by Lisa GreenwaldConfessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaPrincess in Pink by Meg CabotThe Princess Diaries by Meg CabotThe Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig
pretty in pink!
226 books — 83 voters
He Typed. She Typed. by Mark Van WyeThe Guy Next Door by Meg CabotPlay It Again, SAHM by Meredith EfkenLove @ First Site by Jane MooreThe Cubicle Next Door by Siri L. Mitchell
Desks
27 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Emilie
Mar 19, 2012 Emilie added it
This type of chic lit is normally not my thing. I'm talking this formula:

*London
*Single girl in her 30's
*Friends who simply cannot accept that
*A gay friend acting like a manual for the gay stereotype handbook
*An idiot friend who she hates but needs because she thinks she owns her
*A job at a television channel with an idiot boss
*A superficial hot guy she hopes is the one
*The nice guy who actually is the one

But this book was a little bit deeper, having issues like sick children, breast cancer etc
Amy
Nov 06, 2015 Amy rated it it was ok
About 100 pages in with no predictable love interest on the horizon, my hopes perked up. Maybe this wouldn't be another vapid, predictable, unsatisfying chick lit novel about a British girl looking for love. Maybe our heroine would actually learn there is more to life than men and drinking and do something. When the lighthearted, predictable plot turned somber, I figured it might just happen too.
Alas, for wasted hopes.
It isn't that the book utterly fails. From one angle, it actually s
Noe Crockett
Feb 10, 2009 Noe Crockett rated it really liked it
I think it's important to note that I gave this book four stars not because it was an incredible book or because it was superiorly (is that a word?) well written, but because it was fun and I really enjoyed reading it.

It's funny how I found this book. I was at the library and I was looking for a different book and this one was on the same shelf. I read the book description and was interested by similarities I shared with the main character of the novel. Thirty four years old, check. Single, chec
Amy
Jun 22, 2013 Amy rated it it was ok
I got this book as a random library pick. I figured if I hated it, it was still free. I didn't end up hating it, but I'm very glad I didn't pay for it.

This book had potential. It really did. Single lady looking for love in all the wrong places and with all the wrong people lands Mr. Right. I mean that is what all the single ladies want, correct? Mr. Right? ... However, I think this book took the slow boat to China to get there. With me thinking the whole time.. isn't this Jess character 34? Shou
Senator
Mar 17, 2011 Senator rated it did not like it
It has all the makings to be an English chick-lit novel (30 something single gal with hip, trendy job, gay friend, supportive, attached friends, a crises and that one frienemy) but falls short on an actual plot or development of characters. It’s like reading lots of drama and then peaks to a boring halt all wrapped up with a pretty bow called the last chapter.

To be honest, I read the first two chapters, got bored, and then read the last page to figure out the name of the bloke she was going to e
Casey
Feb 12, 2014 Casey rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Eh, I mean, I felt the random desire to read some chick lit. And I thought it might be fun to read about online dating, and this was (surprisingly, actually) pretty much all I could find. It was not terrible, evidenced by the fact that I actually read the whole thing, but it wasn't great. I can't say I was terribly fond of the protagonist, to be honest, which I think is important for this sort of story. But as far as books from this genre goes, it was probably still above the curve!
Erina
Dec 21, 2013 Erina rated it it was ok
For me, its an ok read to pass the time though the storyline does disappoint me because its just way off from what the title of the book scream out. It does pinned point some of the idea of "love @ first site" but didn't really quite deliver for me and the ending is just to all of sudden wrap it up style. On the bright side, the story does touched regarding what important in life most.
Kristy
Jan 17, 2008 Kristy rated it really liked it
Started out light and fun, but takes a more serious turn. It touched me personally, because I've been through it and my mom as well. I would have cried at parts, but I read most of this book while at work. (Gotta love those slow days lol)

Great book all in all.
PatronGirl100
Apr 06, 2014 PatronGirl100 rated it did not like it
bad writing, plot all over the place. don't waste your time.
JM
Jul 05, 2017 JM rated it liked it
Oh, I cannot believe it. I finally got to finish this book. It does't normally take me long to read a novel but this book somehow dragged unbelievably long.

So this book was supposedly about a thirty-four year old single british woman who found herself with a dating site profile, thanks to her not so friendly friend. Most of her dates were disappointment but one was more pleasing than other except she was left in the restaurant with the bill. Then supposedly an unexpected e-mail suitor showed up
Kourtney
Mar 15, 2017 Kourtney rated it really liked it
Classic chick lit formula, complete with a predictable ending, but with an added bonus of heartfelt family drama that worked with the "finding love" storyline. I wish I didn't wait so long to pick this one up. I was looking for a light read, and I am happy that I found this on my shelf. Perfect beach read, or when you just want a pick-me-up!
Tin
Feb 26, 2017 Tin rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, 2017
There's a portion in the book that went:

"I came home from the hairdresser's on Thursday afternoon, and Araminta greeted me with the words 'Herro, Mammy,'" she says, mimicking a Filipino accent. "I mean, can you imagine? The nanny will have to go."

I'm Filipino, and I just want to clarify, though we speak with an accent, we still pronounce L as Ls and R as Rs. The author was probably thinking of another nation when she wrote this part.
norcalgal
Aug 20, 2015 norcalgal rated it it was ok
Shelves: rom-com
This novel is deceptive for its “chick lit” genre. It was not at all what I expected. It starts out fun, funny and breezy, then takes a dark turn with a cancer storyline.

The MC, Jessica, starts out as the chick-lit staple of a confident, self-assured career woman, with a stable of good, loyal friends (with the exception of the heinous Kara), but Jess later devolves into a self-pitying, judgmental, hypocritical b*tch. It was especially galling in the beginning phase of learning about her sister’
Clare
Aug 24, 2009 Clare rated it really liked it
I'm so glad I'm married.

Jessica Monroe is given the passive-aggressive "gift" of someone posting her profile on an on-line dating site. Gamely, she agrees to go on these dates, hoping eventually to find someone to love and marry. She is 34, after all, and her biological clock is ticking... The dates are so terrible (adulterers, know-it-all do-gooders, swingers, cheapskates) they seem contrived rather than based on someone real dating experience. However, I was rolling with laughter. True or not,
Michael Ann
Aug 14, 2013 Michael Ann rated it liked it
Jess is thirty four with a great job, great friends, wonderful flat and no boyfriend. No boyfriend in the past year, six months, or on the horizon. Her friends decide its high time she find love and sign her up for the world of Internet dating. Amongst the bad dates and wonderful shags she must face truths about what she's really looking for in a companion and in life.

Riding on the success of Bridget Jones' Diary, Moore creates a character that is the typical literary British woman - lovely frie
Julie
Apr 12, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Woman's Book Clubs, Beach Reading
Shelves: chick-lit, 2010
I thought this was a light, fun book to read. It had me laughing in quite a few chapters and made me realize how lucky I am to not be single! The relationships that were described in the book were pretty true to life--Jess's relationship with her friends, sisters, parents; they were all believable and narrated well. I feel that the serious health issue that emerged in the story was handled wonderfully and actually added some depth to the book overall. Jess was a good main character with a lot of ...more
Andrea
Feb 25, 2010 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
The characters are fine, plot and side plots ideas are good, but the execution is a bit spotty--some flow issues, some roughness--the whole is not greater than the sum of its parts. British, so nice British-isms and good one-liners. A fluff book. Might read it again.

Added 2012 while purging books:
I still think about this one occasionally, which means some of the characters were more memorable than originally thought and the plot made more of a point. I probably identify with the main character
Elizabeth
Jul 15, 2012 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Fast, easy read that was very enjoyable to speed through. It was funny and decently honest. I thought it would be more of description of hilarious dates the main character goes on, but it was really more about the character's development with her friends, family, and her own life, which I much preferred. The only downside to this was the contrived, abrupt ending. The whole book sets the main character up as someone who is taking control of her life, but the ending is completely counter to that d ...more
Mayda
Jan 25, 2013 Mayda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, audio
At times pure fluff with raucous and irreverent overtones, this romance is nevertheless infused with a deadly serious subplot. Being a single, 30-something career girl, Jessica’s friends decide that she needs to meet new people, that is, guys, and so they sign her up for online dating. A good sport, her dates are highly entertaining, if not productive. But her life turns upside-down when her sister becomes ill. Though the ending is predictable, the tale is a romp on the single side of life, with ...more
Mary Elizabeth Morton
Jun 09, 2014 Mary Elizabeth Morton rated it did not like it
I tried to like this book...I really did...even enough to score it at least 2 stars...but I just couldn't. There was way too much use of the F-word...the main character even said it when she was being proposed too. The casualness they spoke about sex & other sexual acts was inappropriate and definitely did not add to what could have been a fun chick-lit novel. The only authentic moments in the novel centred around the sister's breast cancer diagnosis & treatment. Her reactions along with ...more
Adriana
Sep 01, 2010 Adriana rated it liked it
As negative as this may sound of me to say this, but this story was higly predictable. Here you have a single woman in her 30's, desperately seeking to find a soulmate. She encounters with multiple asswipes (some of the situations are funny) but then gets serious, she finally meets a guy she thinks he's gay, then ends up staying with him and being engaged with him on her 35th birthday party while her sister is suffering from cancer. I liked it, but I don't know, it could've been better.Almost so ...more
Michelle
Aug 22, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
I picked this up because disastrous internet dating stories are pretty funny. This book was entertaining, and with the plight of the sister with breast cancer, it gained a little depth and soul. The love story was not so believable, and sort of just summarized at the end, so read it for the rest of the story, not for the romance, though it was nice to have a happy ending, it just seemed a bit rushed and patched together.

Also, what is it about British chick lit that makes constant overindulgence
Kaitlin
Jun 19, 2014 Kaitlin rated it did not like it
Hands down one of the worst books I have ever read. It was constantly all over the place and more often than not, so incredibly boring that I gave up 3 or four times to go read something else. I usually sell or donate my books but honestly, this one should just go in the trash. I wouldn't force my worst enemy to read this. She obviously got bored the last two chapters because seriously. Come on, really? Dont even read this.
Dec 18, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, 2012
I picked this book up because I've been overdoing the dystopia/post-apocalyptic fiction and I needed a little bit of happy. Although it starts out happy-go-lucky, it quickly packs an emotional wallop. I'll admit it -- at first, I was not pleased to have my chick lit interrupted by "serious." However, I'm glad I stuck with it. It ended up being a cute book to read and I enjoyed seeing the main character grow.
Sherri Hunter
Feb 28, 2010 Sherri Hunter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
I absolutely loved this book! What a wonderful story! I thought Jess was a very likeable character. She is someone that I could imagine being a good friend or a sister. Jess's friends were a riot as well. I enjoyed the side story involving Jess's sister, Olivia.

A couple of interesting plot twists took me by surprise towards the end that I really enjoyed. I'm so glad this book grabbed my attention as I don't know how long I would have gone before picking it up. Highly recommended!
Katie
Oct 20, 2007 Katie rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
I'd forgotten about this one, but it wasn't bad. Any online dating book I've read has gone for the "oh, dear! Look who's out there!" jokes without being overly cognizant that the main character is also one of the problems. I personally found Jessica - at times - to be overly sharp and uncaring of other people's feelings. But I vaguely recall that she got better and I did like the ending.
Nancy
Jul 29, 2010 Nancy rated it really liked it
Predictable, easy read but with a great narrator and characters we all have in our own lives. Jess is a thirty-something Londoner with a fun life but lacking a relationship. She's got kind of an enviable life - but also her fair share of problems loaning to a believable narrative that's quick and fun.
Morgan
Jan 05, 2010 Morgan rated it it was ok
This book was ok. It was cute and fun and kept me interested and entertained. I really liked the ending and thought it was really cute, although it wasn't original at all. there wasn't a whole lot of romantic suspense in this one, but it was still fun. it does have some language and sex, so i don't feel like i can really recommend it. but it was a fun read for vacation.
Maureen
Jul 21, 2014 Maureen rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
Not the greatest...a lot of it was very predictable and a lot of the characters I didn't like. I think I was about 10 years too late on the topic but since I met my husband online 12 years ago, I thought why not!
Michelle
Mar 19, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Chick lit lovers
I had the audio version of the book and enjoyed the it. Towards the end it was somewhat predictable but still enjoyable. This is a woman's story through dating specifically internet dating. The story follows the trial and tribulations of the her life whether it be family or dating.
  • Name & Address Withheld
  • A Girl's Best Friend
  • Dominant Blonde, The
  • Fashionably Late
  • The Scent of Scandal
  • The Hostile Takeover Trilogy (Hostile Takeover, #1-3)
  • I Did (But I Wouldn't Now) (Crandell Sisters, #2)
  • The Girlfriend Curse
  • Always the Bridesmaid
  • The Breakup Club
  • Mine Are Spectacular!
  • Udda Verklighet (De sära, #1)
  • It Had to Be You