Start by marking “I Love Led Zeppelin” as Want to Read:
I Love Led Zeppelin

I Love Led Zeppelin

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  343 ratings  ·  49 reviews
I Love Led Zeppelin is a long-awaited collection of strips by the Harvey and Eisner Award-nominated cartoonist Ellen Forney. This book includes full-page comics published in prestigious weeklies such as the L.A. Weekly and Seattle's The Stranger, as well as the leading feminist magazine Bust, and the Oxford American. Her strips are characterized by bold, sensual brushstrok ...more
Published July 17th 2006 by Fantagraphics

To ask other readers questions about I Love Led Zeppelin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Love Led Zeppelin

Persepolis by Marjane SatrapiFun Home by Alison BechdelAnya's Ghost by Vera BrosgolHark! A Vagrant by Kate BeatonFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu Arakawa
Comics & Graphic Novels by Women
200th out of 411 books — 324 voters
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo IshiguroNorthanger Abbey by Jane AustenEmma by Jane AustenWatership Down by Richard AdamsThe Code of the Woosters by P.G. Wodehouse
Light Reads for Heavy Readers
62nd out of 107 books — 29 voters

More lists with this book...

Meen
I was a Led Zeppelin FREAK in high school!

(And it never hurts to get more pointers on how to fuck a woman with your hands.)
Tatiana
SWOON. I want to be Ellen when I grow up. This is the coolest, most beautiful, most inspiring book of art ever. Her brushwork knocks me over with a 2x4. The beautiful paper used makes her formerly-newsprint-published work gleam like the magnificent museum-quality specimen it is. ALL HAIL ELLEN FORNEY!
Erika
Hilarious. Fantastically gay and hilarious. There is a how to section in the beginning and if I had never made it past those pages I still would have given it 5 stars. Who doesn't want to know how to twirl your tassels in opposite directions or become a successful call girl?
jess
ellen forney's comics are hotter than five-star curry (?) and there's a reasonably good chance they could cause some panty-dropping. there's an adorable scrabble-playing gramma alongside all the homos you could shake a stick at. hair cuts, love stories, courtney love, military funerals, and a smattering of drug stories: this is the material of our lives. forney's comics tell us something about how we feel about the world. she gives us one moment to decide for ourselves - funny, or tragic? dan sa ...more
Mark Desrosiers
First section offers pragmatic instructions that say more than what they're really saying ("How to Twirl Your Tassels in Opposite Directions", "How to Fold the Flag and Present it to the Next of Kin", "How to Roller Skate Backwards").

Second section is a handful of bent, heartfelt excursions into blacksmithery, alligator-gazing, and yoga.

The section entitled '92-'94 makes you wonder what else you were missing. Includes her date with Camille Paglia and the wonderful metaphor (simile?) (interpret
Magic Mike
This is a collection of comics both educational and humorous. The first section of the book is filled with how to guides. Some examples are how to sew an amputated finger back on and how to become a successful call girl. The rest of the book is filled with comics that are profiles of a person, experiences with a person, or just a short story such as the story of someone's first time. You will learn about many different interesting people in this book, most real, but some, I think, maybe fictiona ...more
Betterthanfiction
Sweet! Forney illustrates "How to be a Fabulous Fag Hag" with Margaret Cho, "How to Twirl Your Tassels in Opposite Directions" with Teresa Dulse, Forney's almost-kinda date with Camille Paglia and her friend's incredibly embarrassing meeting with Tom Waits. Heckuva good collection.
Brad
Aug 05, 2007 Brad rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Having read the Stranger for awhile, I feel familiar with Ellen Forney’s comics, but hadn’t read many of them (besides her Lustlab personals gags) until I picked up this book today. I really enjoyed the first section full of various “How to” diagrams—ranging from a guide to erogenous zones to performing a military funeral. Her art reminds me a lot of Joe Sacco’s—it’s heavy on interestingly-lettered text—but she doesn’t crosshatch nearly as much as is a bit more cartoony. Forney is really good a ...more
Ben
Sarah bought this for me, I think. I loved this. My first introduction to Ellen Forney. A little scattered, but each short story or helpful article was really great!
Mel
I came across this very cheap in the fantagraphics sale and as I'm always interested in reading comics by women writers and artists (especially queer ones) so I decided to get it. I enjoyed parts of it but I didn't love it as much as I thought I would. I think this is cause I always prefer comics to cartoon strips, I just want more plot and character development. But there were some funny moments and some that I really did enjoy. (It also explained a bit of Dan Savage's prejudice against bisexua ...more
Alison
I love Led Zeppelin, too!
I really wanted to like these comics and some of them I did (the ones about drugs and transvestites towards the back made me giggle), but this book sat on my shelves for months and months. I think it took me so long because It's not a graphic novel with a main character and plot; rather it's alot of fragmented comics. I wasn't lured in by a story. It seemed to me the artist creates alot of her comics for sheer shock and punk value which I guess I can appreciate, but overall I'd say this is a cof ...more
James
The Pekaresque confessional pieces (the best is about a near-date with Camille Paglia) are combined with quirky and catholic graphic expository non-fiction ("How to Re-attach a finger"). I especially enjoyed the collaboration with Dan Savage relating his first time in drag (Brownie drag at age eight), in which he describes his parents as "alarmingly supportive."
S Laddon
I enjoyed everything about this graphic novel, even the panels/story boards that took me out of my comfort zone. I want to BUY a copy of this particular novel, not to mention check out/read the rest of Forney's collection. A talented outspoken voice of (essentially) my generation, This was a fabulous read.
Steve
Loved this. The "How To" section was fun and weirdly (wildly) informative. Really liked the page layout and the info design aspects. Lots of great artwork here (reminiscent of the Hernandez Bros. "Love and Rockets" stuff) AND a heartfelt, rambling intro by Serman Alexie.
James Specht
"I Love Led Zeppelin" is a bit of a hodge podge of Ellen Forney's work from the past 15 years or so. It's all interesting and Forney's thick inking style has great stylized (and pretty sexy) lines. It's a lot of fun and her work with Dan Savage is a hoot.
James
I love these comics. There's a lot of how-to, like how to make love, how to be a call girl (the honest version), romances, coming-out stories, and lots of fun stories. Real good art too. I absolutely loved these and I gotta read more stuff by Ellen Forney.
Imogen
I have such a crush on Ellen Forney. Seriously. It's gross. I want to do it with Ellen Forney and Justin Hall at the same time.

Uh, I've gotta go.
Jackie "the Librarian"
Dec 19, 2007 Jackie "the Librarian" rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: open-minded adults
An eclectic series of short comics, many just one page, addressing adult issues such as drugs and sex(orientation, technique, etc.). I enjoyed the longer collaborations more, as there was more story to them, but it was all fascinating.
HeavyReader
Jun 20, 2007 HeavyReader rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Ellen Forney
This is a fun collection of comics from the great Ellen Forney. I especially like the first part of the book which gives instructions for how to do a bunch of things, like how to reattach severed fingers and how to be a call girl.
Jenna
Very fun, and full of life. I don't care if she's doing a comic about yoga or drugs or reattaching a severed finger. Whatever filters through Ellen's brain comes out fun, interesting and full of life.
Leilani
Sherman Alexie wrote the forward to this book. That's all I needed to know to read it. Glad I did, because this book is hilarious. Especially her awesome story of her non-date with Camille Paglia. Awkward.
Kyla Li
I have loved Ellen Forney since I first read her in Tomato -- I love her art, I love her storytelling. This is a slapdash little collection of random stuff, but it's definitely worth reading.
Chadwick
She's a great cartoonist; this is a slapdash collection. If you can read one or two at a time, you'll enjoy it a lot more than if you plow through it. But no joke, there's gold here.
Jess
Funny part in there on how to smoke pot and not get caught. Very humorous and a bit mind-blowing. X-rated stuff included as well. So this is not for the sensitive or young.
Manintheboat
I loved "I was Seven in '75" and was happy to find this at the library (which other branch has it been hiding at?).

Very funny, sexy, and educational!
Natalie
you rock my world. studies of human behavior, an almost-date with camille paglia, how-to guides to fingering a girl and other stuff. a good time illustrated.
Danielle
Jan 22, 2008 Danielle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: comic fans
Shelves: graphic-novels
I randomly found this on a table at the library and started flipping through. This is fantastic and funny (and a little dirty).
Jerman
I adored this. Coming of age as a feminist is a little easier with Ellen to guide you. Good drawing, smart writing.
Jenny
How funny. I finished it last night, and on the way into Seattle today saw the penis building & cracked up!
  • A Child's Life and Other Stories
  • THEY CALL ME MAD DOG!: A Story for Bitter, Lonely People
  • Anything That Loves
  • Deogratias, A Tale of Rwanda
  • Need More Love
  • The Girl from H.O.P.P.E.R.S.
  • No Straight Lines: Four Decades of Queer Comics
  • Girl Stories
202782
Ellen Forney grew up in Philadelphia and has lived in Seattle since 1989. She has been a professional cartoonist/ illustrator since 1992, and also sometimes paints, and dabbles in other artsy pursuits. She teaches Comics at Seattles Cornish College of the Arts. She drives a silver 1968 Mercury Cougar.
More about Ellen Forney...
Marbles: Mania, Depression, Michelangelo, and Me Monkey Food: The Complete "I Was Seven in '75" Collection Lust: Kinky Online Personal Ads I Was Seven in '75 The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian