Start by marking “Silent Witness: How Forensic Anthropology Is Used to Solve the World's Toughest Crimes” as Want to Read:

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  68 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
" "Bones have an uncanny knack of holding important clues as to the fate of the individuals to whom they belonged." "

As portrayed in mystery novels and more than nine television shows including "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation," "American Justice" and "City Confidential," forensic anthropologists work in an environment where the stakes are high, the pressure is intense, and
Published September 7th 2002 by Firefly Books (first published September 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Silent Witness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silent Witness

Jim
Mar 01, 2009 Jim rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2non-fiction, 1paper
I was disappointed that this was a book on disasters & killings, not on Forensic Pathology as described. It started out with some decent descriptions of the science, but it quickly dissolved into simply describing disasters in fair detail & then saying, "forensic pathologists helped..." without really saying how. The Case Studies were pretty good, if you want to know about murders & disasters. Generally a page or two, they gave a good overview of some of the more gruesome moments in ...more
Todd Stockslager
Jun 09, 2015 Todd Stockslager rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other
Textbook level treatment never rises above that pedestrian level. Some gross pictures are mildly interesting, but even the case studies aren't well done.

If you want more interesting forensic science for general readers, look at these books I've read and reviewed:

A Question of Evidence: The Casebook of Great Forensic Controversies, from Napoleon to O.J.
Murder Two: The Second Casebook of Forensic Detection
Carol
Jan 07, 2015 Carol rated it it was amazing
This book presented a great deal of information and adds to your knowledge of how forensic science works.
Oct 16, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THERE'S A LOT MORE TO SOLVING CRIME THAN DNA! A great book, wonderful full-color pictures, exceptional graphic illustrations. Obviously, a great deal of work went into putting this book together. Looking at 29 different cases, the author explores the study of the crime using anthropology, bones, exhumations, outdoor settings, fabric analysis, identification by body parts/reconstruction, video/image superimposition, air/fire/explosive disasters to genocide and massacres (that's not everything eit ...more
Carrie
Aug 23, 2015 Carrie rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this book, lots of photos, case files and interesting facts.
Leandra
Jan 10, 2014 Leandra rated it it was ok
Shelves: writing, historic
Drier and more technical than I expected. I skimmed over quite a bit of the material introducing each section, though the 'case studies' were interesting (even if the author did like tooting the forensic anthropologist horn a bit).
Zoe Cuevas
May 12, 2014 Zoe Cuevas rated it it was amazing
good book
John
Jul 18, 2011 John rated it liked it
The ability to use forensic techniques to discover the cause of death, time of death, and the physical characteristics of humans is fascinating. Unfortunately this was written like a text book, and consequently wasn't very interesting.

I'm hoping there is another book about forensic anthropology that is more interesting. I'll read it.
Ingrid Foster
Jul 20, 2013 Ingrid Foster rated it really liked it
As a writer researching the field of forensic anthropology for one of my novels, I found this book to be an especially helpful resource. The basic introduction and case studies were fascinating and informative. I strongly encourage anyone interested in this particular field of study or career choice to read this book.
Callie
Dec 27, 2013 Callie rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. it showed great detail and photos. it went into all the topics one doesn't even think about when you think of death and crimes.
Sep 19, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
I read this book for an assignment on forensic anthropology, and it really explained things that I didn't understand previous to reading this book. Although written in a very factual and textbook like way, I found it extremely intriguing!
Juliet
Jul 19, 2007 Juliet rated it really liked it
- Definitely a must-read for all those with an interest in all areas of forensic science and not just forensic anthropology. There are a lot of very interesting case studies and the photographs used are just amazing.
Mariola Turnbough
Aug 28, 2008 Mariola Turnbough rated it liked it
This was a basic book that told some interesting CSI info. The show does the same thing.
Ms.
Mar 09, 2013 Ms. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
Really liked this book alot. Lots of info presented in an interesting way.
Carla
Interesting
Ras Salassie
Ras Salassie marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Joann Urban
Joann Urban marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Paula
Paula rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2016
Paula Peterson
Paula Peterson marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Britni
Britni marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Hilary
Hilary added it
Feb 08, 2016
Amy Beth
Amy Beth rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Michelle Matsuura
Michelle Matsuura marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
Samantha
Samantha rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2015
Mariah
Mariah marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016