Start by marking “Divided Highways: Building the Interstate Highways, Transforming American Life” as Want to Read:
Divided Highways: Building the Interstate Highways, Transforming American Life

Divided Highways: Building the Interstate Highways, Transforming American Life

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  14 reviews
In "Divided Highways," Tom Lewis tells the monumental story of the largest engineered structure ever built: the Interstate Highway System. Here is one of the great untold tales of American enterprise, recounted entirely through the stories of the human beings who thought up, mapped out, poured, paved - and tried to stop - the Interstates. Conceived and spearheaded by Thoma...more
Published March 1st 1999 by Penguin Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Divided Highways, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Divided Highways

Converse

The subject of Divided Highways is broader than the subtitle implies, as it also sses federal aid for road building before Eisenhower's initiation of the interstate highway program. Tom Lewis is also the author of Empire of the Air: the men who made radio a book I enjoyed more than the present one. After a long period in the nineteenth century in which the federal government did nothing to fund road construction, federal support for road construction was discussed from the late nineteenth centu

Ian
"But engineers had little understanding of, nor did they care about, socioeconomic and environmental considerations that should also be factors in the decision of where to place a highway. The Interstates planned for the center of Boston, across Manhattan, into the center of Chicago posed a series of technical problems of soils and land contours, entrances and exits, and the like; but never the very real human problems of lives disrupted, neighborhoods destroyed, and livelihoods lost" (pg. #134)...more
Cat
Aug 26, 2007 Cat rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: infrastructure nerds.
Shelves: americanhistory
Too bad I only read one book every couple of weeks. Lewis's "Divided History" is somewhere in between a conventional history of the building of the interstate highway's in the United States and a journalistic account of the builiding of the interstate highway's in the United States. Either way you want to slice it- that's nearly three hundred pages on the building of interstate highway's in the United States. It's a boring book- not just because the subject matter itself, but also because Mr. Le...more
Mickael Broth
Pretty fascinating look into something used by almost every single American on a daily basis but taken completely for granted at this point. Somehow the author managed to make fairly boring parts of history into a really enjoyable and lively read.. quite a feat indeed!
Phil
If you are into bridges, roads, tunnels, transportation, engineering and/or politics mixed with a bit of history, this book is for you. Very interesting.

It is however very wordy. Informative but dry.
Alex Eddy
A lovely, if slightly depressing , history of ground transportation in the US. It starts with Eisenhower and meanders through history from there. Lewis even touches on racial politics and the power of grassroots movements. Overall, it was a satisfying read.
Rebecca Henderson
Good, detailed overview of the building of the Interstate system. I was disappointed that no mention was made of the building of I-20, since that's the Interstate I'm particularly interested in for the book I'm writing - but the points the author loses for overlooking I-20 are gained back by quoting poetry throughout.
Barbara Brannon
Lewis's study is one of the most thorough and thought-provoking of the many treatments of American "road history" -- it brings to light the very real sociological effects of roads on our cities, towns, and countryside. If you enjoy road memoirs/travelogues, read this for excellent context.
Catherine
I was interested mostly in the sociological aspects of building the interstate highway system -- the politics, decision-making process, and how it affected society. There was enough of that to keep me interested, but also plenty of info about the construction.
Peter Boody
A little dreary here and there. It seemed repetitive. A lot of focus on bureaucrats and plodding processes. Still, it is a subject about which I've always been interested and the book delivered the goods.
Howard Mansfield
In this detailed history of the building of the Interstates, Lewis shows that he's a good storyteller with a good eye for politics and a revealing quote.
Elly
Sep 06, 2008 Elly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who ask "why you so crazy about bicycles?"
Big, cheesy pop history that tells you everything you ever wanted to know about the interstate highway system, which in my case is a lot.
Ben
Really interesting history of the Interstate Highway System. Features prehistory, obstacles, effects on culture, urban elements.
Michael
A decent history of the development of the US Interstate system. Not as critical as one might expect.
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Samuel Gale
Samuel Gale marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Lawrence
Lawrence marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Tejas
Tejas marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Daphne Hawk
Daphne Hawk marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Eddie Pombier
Eddie Pombier marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Siri Jellen
Siri Jellen is currently reading it
Jun 23, 2014
Sunday's Child My King The President Hitler's Judas: Book Ii Of The Pea Island Gold Trilogy The Hudson: A History Sons of Their Fathers