Start by marking “Return of the Home Run Kid” as Want to Read:
Return of the Home Run Kid

Return of the Home Run Kid

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  453 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Sylvester's baseball has been so dismal that the coach has him warming the bench. So when Cheeko offers to show him a few pointers, he eagerly accepts his offer. But Sylvester can't help thinking there's something fishy about Cheeko.
Published May 2nd 1994 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Return of the Home Run Kid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Return of the Home Run Kid

John F
Oct 23, 2009 John F rated it it was amazing
This book is realistic fiction. I really liked this book especily the beginning. I like how he didnt give up when he was doing bad and when people would put him down. he still kept trying his hardest. I also liked how the book would give you the play by play of the game so you could under stand what was going on. The main charector Sylvester had an amazing baseball season last year and he even got an award for his home run streak. But this year he is having a really bad start. Then a guy named c ...more
Jack T.
Apr 19, 2014 Jack T. rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. I liked it because it is about baseball, which is my favorite sport. It is realistic fiction and sports. This is the sequel to "The Kid Who Only Hit Homers", by Matt Christopher. Sylvester Coddmeyer starts out daydreaming on the bench in the dugout. He is in a very big hitting and fielding slump. He meets a man named Cheeko and he helps Sylvester out. Read the book to find out the rest!! I recommend this book to anybody that loves baseball!!
Owen Kowatch
Sep 14, 2015 Owen Kowatch rated it liked it
Sylvester sat the bench the whole game and rarely played, so when Cheeko gave him some pointers and said he would coach him he said yes. All of a sudden it is like Syl turns a switch on, he can do it all, field, hit and run. Then his friend shows him a baseball card and it looks exactly like Cheeko. This is a great sports book and I recommend it.
Nathaniel
Jun 04, 2014 Nathaniel rated it really liked it
It was ok. I would rate it more a 4 and 1/2. During one game, he hit one home run, struck out once and then hit one that it was almost a home run, but the person jumped and caught it before it was a homerun. Then in the same game, he made a bunch of diving catches every time he caught it.
Michael
Sep 24, 2015 Michael rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book. In this book sylvester is a kid who plays baseball for the redbirds. Sylvester is in a slump after Mr.Baruth left town suddenly and stopped practicing with him. I would recommend this to someone who likes books about sports.
Luke
Oct 21, 2011 Luke rated it really liked it

The book I read was called “The Return of the Home Run Kid”, it is about a boy named Sylvester. He was the king of homeruns the year before on his elite team. His coach the year before named Mr. Baruth helped him so much but then later moved away, Sylvester was never the same. This year not so much, he is struggling to just get in the lineup, he plays in the outfield and is struggling to in that. Just when he is about to give up, a guy walks up to him and they start talking, later the guy that i
Will M.
Nov 10, 2013 Will M. rated it liked it
This book was good, but not what I expected. It would have been a great interesting book, if the author used more details and good names of teams. The book got really interesting when Sylvester and his friend looked through the baseball cards and found out the true identity of Sylvester coach's is.Sylvester lead the league in homers last season, but could not follow it up the next season. He needed help and thats what he got, a personal coach to help him.The year before when he could hit he had ...more
Wyatt Price
I thought that it was a pretty good book. The main character , Sylvester, starts out in the book daydreaming on the bench of a dugout. You could call him a bench warmer. He has messy hair, which is dirty blonde. His day dream was about last season when he would hit home runs and that was it. This year he can't even hit the ball a foot.
Last season he met a mysterious guy who gave him some pointers to become a better ball player. This season the mysterious guy is not there to help. He thought
Jared Cervantez
May 22, 2012 Jared Cervantez rated it really liked it
This is the sequel to the "Kid Who Only Hit Homers" and this one was just as good as the last one. This one is like the last ine. I like how he was in a slump and then when he met a new mentor. Then all of a sudden he was back. Just like the last one another famosu ballplayer may have been mentioned. He was famous for the wrong reason though. (Black Sox Scandal)
Spencer G
Oct 19, 2010 Spencer G rated it really liked it
I thought the book was very good. The book paints a very vivid picture in your mind. Right away when I read this book I thought that I didn’t like it but it turned out a very well written book. This book make me think twice about the game of baseball. I would recamend this book to anyone looking for a realistic fiction about baseball.

Pj Neubauer
This is a really good book. Sylvester always hits home runs when he is at bat and then the next season comes he can't hit anything. But he found his rythm again and in the end he was a normal hitter not just hitting home runs.
I'm just the wrong audience; my baseball-mad sons really enjoyed it, especially the pitch-by-pitch narratives of the Red Birds' games.
Mitch Johnston
Nov 30, 2013 Mitch Johnston rated it liked it
Tween baseball player getting hitting tips from the ghosts of Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb. Good, clean fun. Enjoyed reading with my boys.
Bob
Jul 11, 2010 Bob rated it liked it
Decent book for baseball lovers. If you don't like baseball this book will bore you to death.
Darning
I LIKE THIS STORY OF THIS BOOK
Adonis Cruz
Oct 30, 2007 Adonis Cruz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Not really
The story line were confusing.
Danny Routh
it was pretty good
Cws
JAR4-Chr
Mason Blair
Mason Blair rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Hkwok
Hkwok rated it it was ok
Feb 02, 2016
Jordan Phillips
Jordan Phillips rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Jake
Jake rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Connor Able
Connor Able rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Cameron Prochaska
Cameron Prochaska rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Ethan Beneke
Ethan Beneke marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Zack
Zack rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Kristie
Kristie marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
  • Finding Buck McHenry
  • Jackie & Me (A Baseball Card Adventure #2)
  • Danger Zone
  • Nasty, Stinky Sneakers
  • Class President (An Apple Paperback)
  • The Star Fisher
  • The Sports Pages (Guys Read, #3)
  • Two-Minute Drill (Comeback Kids)
  • Baseball Great
  • Maximum Ride Boxed Set #1
  • Trickle Up Poverty: Stopping Obama's Attack on Our Borders, Economy, and Security
  • Dad, Jackie, and Me
  • Is That A Dead Dog In Your Locker?
  • Horrible Harry and the Dungeon
  •  A Good Night for Ghosts (Magic Tree House, #42)
  • The Battle of the Red Hot Pepper Weenies and Other Warped and Creepy Tales (Weenies series, #4)
  • The Winners Manual: For the Game of Life
Matt Christopher is the writer young readers turn to when they're looking for fast-paced, action-packed sports novels. He is the best-selling author of more than one hundred sports books for young readers.

Matt Christopher is America's bestselling sports writer for children, with more than 100 books and sales approaching six million copies. In 1992, Matt Christopher talked about being a children's
More about Matt Christopher...