Start by marking “Raised Catholic” as Want to Read:
Raised Catholic

Raised Catholic

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Stivender's Irish Catholic mother prayed for him to become a priest, but his Protestant Navy father warned him to "never get a job where you have to wear a dress to work". Stivender compromised--he taught religion in Catholic high school and found his true calling as a jongleur, telling stories, sometimes with music and often from the Bible. "The Robin Williams of storytel ...more
Published December 19th 2005 by August House Publishers (first published September 25th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Raised Catholic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raised Catholic

Betty
Anecdotal memoir of growing up in the early 1950s in Philadelphia. Lovely and light. The nuns are kind and not mean. The boys' mischief is playful. A pleasurable read of an innocent time. Not at all like his storytelling, at least not like the fractured fairy tales that I am so fond of. Am passing it along to a raised Catholic friend who will get more out of it than I, a former Lutheran.
Cynthia
The author is a professional storyteller and his stories about his youth in Catholic school, being an altar boy, etc. are well-told and very amusing.
Shannon
The book is a look back at his growing up years as a child in a Catholic school and family. They're reminiscent of a Catholic version of Leave It To Beaver, cute but not laugh out loud funny. It was a loving look at his childhood that I enjoyed being shown, but I have a feeling he's even more entertaining as an oral storyteller.
Andy
An interesting look at growing up in institutional Catholicism during a particular time (the 1950's), mining, from a pointedly different point of view, the same territory covered by comedian George Carlin. Fair warning: a little schmaltzy at times.
Sherry (sethurner)
I've heard Ed Steivender tell stories from this collection, and when I read it I laugh out loud once more. You don't need to be raised Catholic to appreciate these stories from Stivender's youth.
A humorous and nostalgic memoir of a catholic childhood.
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Rachel Ruiz
Rachel Ruiz marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2013
Benito
Benito marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2011
Laura marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2011
dancingbuddha
dancingbuddha marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2011
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2011
Teddie
Teddie marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2011
Rae
Rae added it
Mar 15, 2009
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2009
Still Catholic Raised Catholic: Can You Tell? Still Catholic after All These Fears