Start by marking “Keys to Great Writing” as Want to Read:

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Keys to Great Writing

Empower your writing! "Keys to Great Writing" covers every aspect of the craft, showing you how to develop a writer's voice that is unique, precise, and effective.

From grammar rules to revision strategies, you'll find the crucial information you need in short, easy-to-browse sections that enable you to hone your own signature writing approach. No more
Published February 15th 2007 by Writer's Digest Books (first published May 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Keys to Great Writing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keys to Great Writing

Justin Y. O'Donnell
Many writers on the blogoshpere have probably heard of Strunk and White’s Element’s of Style, but I bet most of you have never read Keys to Great Writing by Stephen Wilbers.

keystogreatKeys to Great Writing was recommended to me by a lawyer. He came to America from Egypt and told me this book helped him immeasurably. At the time, I was preparing to start a double major in history and English at college. Judging by my course outline, I knew I had a voluminous portion of written material waiting fo
This is my favorite "How-to" writing book. It is easy to reference, the author's voice isn't dry and discouraging, and he emphasizes action, conciseness, precision, and practice. I actually gained many specific and useful NEW ideas about writing from this book. I appreciate his professional and creative approach.
Titus Hjelm
Absolutely essential reading for any writer. Tackles complex topics in simple language--just as the reader should after reading this!
Aug 05, 2008 Danna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: English & Creative Writing Students, Writers - Struggling and Established
Recommended to Danna by: Writer's Digest (Special Offer)
Keys to Great Writing was a free offer with purchase of a Writer's Market membership in 2003. Stephen Wilbers' writing guide came with a handy Roget's Super Thesaurus, which I have also used often (but not abused) in my poetry, music articles, and reviews. There was a lot I skipped in this handy guide the first time I read it, but I'm making up for it now. It's proving to be a great copy editing guide. I have the original hardback version, and would gladly purchase the latest (2007) paperback ...more
Solid tips on big-picture and small-picture, form and content, process and product. Fairly engagingly written and well organized. (I might not have placed the topics in this order, but it's laid out clearly enough that you can find what you want.)

My main gripe is that, like most books on writing, it commits a bunch of the flaws it warns against. I have excruciatingly high standards, though. (Which is arguably legit: if you're writing a book on writing, you'd better write it awesomely. Right?)
Matt Burgess
A great book for anyone that would like to improve their writing. Stephen Wilbers walks us through researched techniques and tips that will enable you to communicate more effectively with written word. He also challenges the reader with exercises dispersed at the end of each chapter that allow you to practice these techniques as you go.

Writing is one of the four ways we communicate and therefore I recommend this book as an excellent tool for improvement.
Robert L.
Very good on writing. It talks about how to structure sentences, how to give emphasis, and how to edit. The examples are good. However, the materials are presented in a manner more technical than I would have preferred. The book could have been written in a lighter style.
This is a great book for anyone who is writing ANYTHING (pretty much anyone in this world right now.) I'd give it a 5 stars, but I can't say that it was completely engrossing considering the subject.
Of all the writing books I've read, this one was the least-bad :) It's very pragmatic and the checklists in the appendices are worth the $8 or so I paid for it.
Eva Blaskovic
I loved this book. Stephen Wilbers has a great tone and useful advice for writers about writing well. It's one of my favourite writing books of all time.
Phil Obi
A wonderful book on how to write well. I enjoyed it, and will return to it frequently as a reference.
Surprisingly helpful and instructive book even for experienced writers.
A practical and readable book on writing well
Iowazzz marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Lily Buck
Lily Buck marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
Jng is currently reading it
Sep 13, 2015
Paola is currently reading it
Sep 08, 2015
Gregg Bing
Gregg Bing is currently reading it
Sep 03, 2015
Joy marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Bob marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Aeriven marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Jennifer Yip
Jennifer Yip marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Pratik Bhavsar
Pratik Bhavsar marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
  • Plot Versus Character: A Balanced Approach to Writing Great Fiction
  • The Elements of Editing
  • Garner's Modern American Usage
  • Creating Short Fiction: The Classic Guide to Writing Short Fiction
  • Get Known Before the Book Deal: Use Your Personal Strengths to Grow an Author Platform
  • The Writer's Idea Book
  • Writing Past Dark: Envy, Fear, Distraction and Other Dilemmas in the Writer's Life
  • Word Painting: A Guide to Writing More Descriptively
  • The Book on Writing: The Ultimate Guide to Writing Well
  • Grammatically Correct
  • Characters and Viewpoint (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • 100 Ways to Improve Your Writing
Mastering the Craft of Writing: How to Write With Clarity, Emphasis, and Style From Good to Great Writing: 52 Strategies for Writing with Style A Boundary Waters History: Canoeing Across Time Canoeing the Boundary Waters Wilderness: A Sawbill Log The Iowa Writers' Workshop