Start by marking “Keys to Great Writing” as Want to Read:
Keys to Great Writing

Keys to Great Writing

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Keys to Great WritingEmpower your writing! "Keys to Great Writing" covers every aspect of the craft, showing you how to develop a writer's voice that is unique, precise, and effective.

From grammar rules to revision strategies, you'll find the crucial information you need in short, easy-to-browse sections that enable you to hone your own signature writing approach. No more
Published February 1st 2007 by Writer's Digest Books (first published May 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Keys to Great Writing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keys to Great Writing

Emily
This is my favorite "How-to" writing book. It is easy to reference, the author's voice isn't dry and discouraging, and he emphasizes action, conciseness, precision, and practice. I actually gained many specific and useful NEW ideas about writing from this book. I appreciate his professional and creative approach.
Titus Hjelm
Absolutely essential reading for any writer. Tackles complex topics in simple language--just as the reader should after reading this!
Danna
Aug 05, 2008 Danna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: English & Creative Writing Students, Writers - Struggling and Established
Recommended to Danna by: Writer's Digest (Special Offer)
Keys to Great Writing was a free offer with purchase of a Writer's Market membership in 2003. Stephen Wilbers' writing guide came with a handy Roget's Super Thesaurus, which I have also used often (but not abused) in my poetry, music articles, and reviews. There was a lot I skipped in this handy guide the first time I read it, but I'm making up for it now. It's proving to be a great copy editing guide. I have the original hardback version, and would gladly purchase the latest (2007) paperback ...more
Kony
Solid tips on big-picture and small-picture, form and content, process and product. Fairly engagingly written and well organized. (I might not have placed the topics in this order, but it's laid out clearly enough that you can find what you want.)

My main gripe is that, like most books on writing, it commits a bunch of the flaws it warns against. I have excruciatingly high standards, though. (Which is arguably legit: if you're writing a book on writing, you'd better write it awesomely. Right?)
Matt Burgess
A great book for anyone that would like to improve their writing. Stephen Wilbers walks us through researched techniques and tips that will enable you to communicate more effectively with written word. He also challenges the reader with exercises dispersed at the end of each chapter that allow you to practice these techniques as you go.

Writing is one of the four ways we communicate and therefore I recommend this book as an excellent tool for improvement.
Robert L.
Very good on writing. It talks about how to structure sentences, how to give emphasis, and how to edit. The examples are good. However, the materials are presented in a manner more technical than I would have preferred. The book could have been written in a lighter style.
Michelle
This is a great book for anyone who is writing ANYTHING (pretty much anyone in this world right now.) I'd give it a 5 stars, but I can't say that it was completely engrossing considering the subject.
Jeff
Of all the writing books I've read, this one was the least-bad :) It's very pragmatic and the checklists in the appendices are worth the $8 or so I paid for it.
Eva Blaskovic
I loved this book. Stephen Wilbers has a great tone and useful advice for writers about writing well. It's one of my favourite writing books of all time.
Phil Obi
A wonderful book on how to write well. I enjoyed it, and will return to it frequently as a reference.
Jonathan
Surprisingly helpful and instructive book even for experienced writers.
Mark
A practical and readable book on writing well
Penny
Penny added it
Jul 29, 2015
Gary
Gary marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Adna
Adna added it
Jul 22, 2015
Tom Kerwin
Tom Kerwin marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Scott Goodwin
Scott Goodwin marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Ilya
Ilya marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Janinie Beanie
Janinie Beanie marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Harold
Harold marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Blixiris
Blixiris is currently reading it
Jun 18, 2015
Patrickd
Patrickd marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Marissa
Marissa marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
  • The Art of Styling Sentences
  • Between the Lines: Master the Subtle Elements of Fiction Writing
  • A Dash of Style: The Art and Mastery of Punctuation
  • Line by Line: How to Edit Your Own Writing
  • Plot Versus Character: A Balanced Approach to Writing Great Fiction
  • The Writer's Little Helper
  • Creating Short Fiction: The Classic Guide to Writing Short Fiction
  • Writing Past Dark: Envy, Fear, Distraction and Other Dilemmas in the Writer's Life
  • The Writer's Idea Book
  • Grammatically Correct
  • Writing with Style: Conversations on the Art of Writing
  • Creating Character Emotions
  • Room to Write: Daily Invitations to a Writer's Life
Mastering the Craft of Writing: How to Write With Clarity, Emphasis, and Style From Good to Great Writing: 52 Strategies for Writing with Style A Boundary Waters History: Canoeing Across Time Canoeing the Boundary Waters Wilderness: A Sawbill Log The Iowa Writers' Workshop