Keys to Great Writing

Keys to Great Writing

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Keys to Great WritingEmpower your writing! "Keys to Great Writing" covers every aspect of the craft, showing you how to develop a writer's voice that is unique, precise, and effective.

From grammar rules to revision strategies, you'll find the crucial information you need in short, easy-to-browse sections that enable you to hone your own signature writing approach. No more...more
Published February 1st 2007 by Writer's Digest Books (first published July 2000)

Emily
This is my favorite "How-to" writing book. It is easy to reference, the author's voice isn't dry and discouraging, and he emphasizes action, conciseness, precision, and practice. I actually gained many specific and useful NEW ideas about writing from this book. I appreciate his professional and creative approach.
Titus Hjelm
Absolutely essential reading for any writer. Tackles complex topics in simple language--just as the reader should after reading this!
Danna
Aug 05, 2008 Danna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: English & Creative Writing Students, Writers - Struggling and Established
Recommended to Danna by: Writer's Digest (Special Offer)
Keys to Great Writing was a free offer with purchase of a Writer's Market membership in 2003. Stephen Wilbers' writing guide came with a handy Roget's Super Thesaurus, which I have also used often (but not abused) in my poetry, music articles, and reviews. There was a lot I skipped in this handy guide the first time I read it, but I'm making up for it now. It's proving to be a great copy editing guide. I have the original hardback version, and would gladly purchase the latest (2007) paperback e...more
Kony
Solid tips on big-picture and small-picture, form and content, process and product. Fairly engagingly written and well organized. (I might not have placed the topics in this order, but it's laid out clearly enough that you can find what you want.)

My main gripe is that, like most books on writing, it commits a bunch of the flaws it warns against. I have excruciatingly high standards, though. (Which is arguably legit: if you're writing a book on writing, you'd better write it awesomely. Right?)
Matt Burgess
A great book for anyone that would like to improve their writing. Stephen Wilbers walks us through researched techniques and tips that will enable you to communicate more effectively with written word. He also challenges the reader with exercises dispersed at the end of each chapter that allow you to practice these techniques as you go.

Writing is one of the four ways we communicate and therefore I recommend this book as an excellent tool for improvement.
Robert L.
Very good on writing. It talks about how to structure sentences, how to give emphasis, and how to edit. The examples are good. However, the materials are presented in a manner more technical than I would have preferred. The book could have been written in a lighter style.
Michelle
This is a great book for anyone who is writing ANYTHING (pretty much anyone in this world right now.) I'd give it a 5 stars, but I can't say that it was completely engrossing considering the subject.
Jeff
Of all the writing books I've read, this one was the least-bad :) It's very pragmatic and the checklists in the appendices are worth the $8 or so I paid for it.
Eva Blaskovic
I loved this book. Stephen Wilbers has a great tone and useful advice for writers about writing well. It's one of my favourite writing books of all time.
Phil Obi
A wonderful book on how to write well. I enjoyed it, and will return to it frequently as a reference.
Mark
A practical and readable book on writing well
Graham Rollins
Graham Rollins is currently reading it
Jul 11, 2014
bob
bob added it
Jul 02, 2014
Darlene Reilley
Darlene Reilley marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Saltydog 01
Saltydog 01 marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Matt White
Matt White is currently reading it
Jun 03, 2014
Kate P
Kate P marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
A Boundary Waters History: Canoeing Across Time Canoeing the Boundary Waters Wilderness: A Sawbill Log The Iowa Writers' Workshop Mastering the Craft of Writing: How to Write With Clarity, Emphasis, and Style Mastering the Craft of Writing: How to Write with Clarity, Emphasis, and Style