Start by marking “There Are No Accidents” as Want to Read:
There Are No Accidents

There Are No Accidents

A woman is set up on a blind date with the same man twice, years apart, on two different coasts. A singer's career changes direction when she walks into the wrong audition. A husband gives his wife an unexpected gift—after she repeatedly dreams about that very same item.... It was Carl Jung who coined the term "synchronicity" for those strange coincidences, when events ...more
Published July 1st 1998 by Riverhead Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about There Are No Accidents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There Are No Accidents

One by LeighAnn KopansCinder by Marissa MeyerMasked Love by Nicole ZoltackThe Love Game by Emma  HartMiss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Amazing Cover Art
129th out of 133 books — 12 voters
The Selection by Kiera CassClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareAcross the Universe by Beth RevisIgnite Me by Tahereh MafiThe One by Kiera Cass
Most Beautiful Book Covers!
206th out of 305 books — 150 voters

More lists with this book...

Vanessa
Aug 02, 2011 Vanessa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Chances are, if this book has found its way into your hands, you are supposed to read it", said the book jacket. So how could I resist? Now that I have read it, I don't know what to make of it. The main premise of it is the author's belief in the Jungian concept of "synchronicity", although he takes synchronicity a step further and adds that for events to be synchronous they also have to be transformative in nature. Essentially then, that there are no accidents; that chance events are ...more
Diane
Apr 28, 2015 Diane rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I have been having so many moments of synchronicity in my life in the past few years, and it is just increasing. Nice to know I'm not going crazy. ;)
Frank
Jun 22, 2012 Frank rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: acquisto
La lettura di un libro di questo genere necessita di un atteggiamento particolare; ciò che va assolutamente evitato è il tipo di approccio di chi vuole sapere come stanno le cose nella realtà.

Non è questo lo scopo del libro, né il tipo di risposta che esso può dare al lettore.

Nel senso che l’autore dice e spiega quello che secondo lui è il motivo per cui tutte queste coincidenze vengono da noi notate, a differenza di tante altre che invece ci lasciano indifferenti.

Per spiegarmi meglio voglio dir
Heidi The Hippie Librarian
My takeaway from There Are No Accidents is the definition of synchronicity and where it originated in the first place. Jung was trying to describe "meaningful coincidences" intellectually without dismissing the emotional content as meaningless or relying solely on metaphysical explanations (i.e. God, religion). The author's definition of synchronicity (combined with Jung's)(from pg 23)
1. acausal (so no definite cause)
2. deeply emotional (for the person involved)
3. content of the synchronicity i
Qu
Jul 13, 2009 Qu rated it liked it
Shelves: psychological
The final chapter (Every story has a Beginning and an Ending) I found to be the most interesting. His statements about how hard it is to let go of cause-and-effect ways of thinking when it comes to such things that flatter our ego gave me a lot to think about. I learned quite a bit form Hopcke’s explanation of why he chooses to refer to dreams and other phenomenon that are usually described as predictive, extrasensory or prophetic as synchronistic. Another important thing that I learned from ...more
David
Jul 12, 2012 David rated it liked it
Hopcke, Jungian psychotherapist, explores all the moments of synchronicity surrounding our lives if we'd only look around. It's organized well with some good food for thought. unfortunately, it's drier than stale bread.
Sammy Sutton
Jun 20, 2011 Sammy Sutton rated it really liked it
'Synchronicity and The Stories of Our Lives' The author uses real life stories to reinforce the theory. He seems to be a long time student of the teachings of Carl Jung. His writing is delightful as he works hard to support the theory.
Arlene
Mar 12, 2011 Arlene rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I found the concept of synchronicity very interesting and I enjoyed the stories, but I got lost in the Jungian terminology sometimes.
Vincenzo Politi
Oct 09, 2016 Vincenzo Politi rated it really liked it
A fascinating and rather entertaining account of he phenomenon of synchronicity (i.e., "significative coincidences"). It's not about fate or destiny, but it's all about how our mind interprets accidents and coincidences in order to include them in the grand and ongoing narrative of ourselves. Interesting stuff. The author comes across as a really good chap.
Tifnie
Feb 02, 2015 Tifnie rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
I'm still reading this book but I had an itch to write now before I finish reading it in it's entirety.

There Are No Accidents is about being aware of happenstance, synchronicity and the nature of synchronicity. Mr. Hopcke writes about things that happen in our lives that normally one can't explain; things that might change our lives, decisions or an outcome of something. He does extensive research with various people and their stories about how synchronicity worked in their life. For example, an
Guy
Dec 23, 2009 Guy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: multiple-reads
This is an excellent introduction to synchronicity! When I read it, I was well past requiring an intro to the concept, and hence my 4 star rating. However, included in the book is a fascinating example of a monastic society using synchronicity to choose their abbot.
...these monks choose an abbot by drawing lots from among the [names of every member of the monastery:]: after prayer and ritual, a senior member of the community uses chopsticks to pick out a name from a metal tube, and the person wh
Tracy K
Jan 03, 2016 Tracy K rated it it was ok
Some interesting stuff here but most of the examples of synchronicity are quite weak and this, in turn, weakens the author's entire argument. A lot of the examples are actually examples of intuition or psychosomatic illnesses etc rather than synchronicity, and some of them are also clearly contain an element of cause and effect which makes his argument even more tenuous. The involvement of symbol is what makes synchronicity so compelling and that is missing from the majority of the stories -- so ...more
Jessica Green
Sep 03, 2013 Jessica Green rated it really liked it
Pay attention; listen; trust; and act.

This book is a good introduction to Jung's synchronisity for those who are unfamiliar. Hopcke's last sentence sums it up:

"If we bring a symbolic attitude to our lives, searching out the meaning of what happens to us and thereby allowing our own capacity to make wholeness out of the random and disparate events of our lives, then, as this book has shown, no matter what happens in the plot, wherever the setting, whoever the characters, major or minor, we will
Aurora65
Mar 13, 2013 Aurora65 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fireplace
How can I expect too much from a book that starts with a passive title? I shouldn't have. The book is a dose of Jung-lite mixed with lots a stories of - You won't believe what just happened" stories.

In the end the author strains for serious notes- when bad things happen to good people- like the Holocaust. The small stitches of faith near the end also hint at a person who was left their faith for the altar of academia. So either it's not an accident, or it's explainable by a higher power. When i
Aleisha Z Coleman
Jul 07, 2012 Aleisha Z Coleman rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: some people
pleasantly surprised at how well this was written. it was socially scientifically written in that it made a claim, defined it and then gave examples to support that claim. it was easy for me to accept his claims of synchronisity because of this written format. It seems to be largely based on Carl Jung's work. My favorite chapter was the third, "Getting and Spending: Sychronicity and the Work of Our Lives". I have had several experiences that have led me to some of my favorite jobs and ...more
Sandra
Jul 12, 2016 Sandra rated it it was ok
Some of the short stories were interesting, but i read this book hoping it would have some substantial content on tragedies like holocaust, 9/11, etc... I was delightfully surprised to see the holocaust actually made an appearance towards the end of the book, but it was rushed and i was extremely disappointed by the authors "explanation." Tragedies happen so you can tell a story my ass. Meh, i guess i had it coming... it was silly of me to think that somebody could put some sense into the shit ...more
Nathalie
Dec 20, 2015 Nathalie rated it liked it
After reading this book, I became more aware of synchoronicity. I've always found coincidences to be fascinating but never put too much thought into them. I found his theory in the coincidences coming at a transitional period in our lives to be interesting - I wonder though, aren't we always in some sort of transition? I wrote about a recent "coincidence" that happened to me while traveling alone in Mexico. While I came up with a "meaning" I am sure there are other explanations... What do you ...more
John
Jun 29, 2009 John added it
The author emphasizes that synchronicities (as Jung meant) are meaningful subjectively; that is, they are meaningful to the person involved and that's enough. To others they are just coincidences, even if uncanny. But I finished the book with the feeling that the author believes there is more to them than that. The book has a lot of interesting and entertaining examples of synchronicities, some of them remarkable.
Karla
Feb 18, 2014 Karla rated it really liked it
Synchros are everywhere in our lives. Reading these stories makes you realize how often they happen and we don't even think to make the connections like we should. Since reading it, I am applying the realizations of connections to my life. Looking for the connections and what they mean makes a big difference in how I live my life.
Mary
Aug 24, 2007 Mary rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those who listen to their intuition and are willing to accept
Syncronicity deserves contemplation and this book does it well.

Proof that the premise is powerful. I found it in a key spot after my soulmate passed away. A yellow sticky in his beautiful handwriting was attached. "Mary, you might enjoy reading this."

We do learn from every experience... if we listen.
Joe Williamson
Jul 10, 2010 Joe Williamson rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone looking to better understand why "stuff" is happening
The author is a Jungian psychotherapist and presents several cases of synchronicity (or divine providence, depending upon your point of view)which confirms my understanding of the universe that the events of our lives have deeper meaning if we take the time to listen and can provide direction or a sense of calling, i.e. why we are here at this time and place in history.
Donna
Jan 30, 2008 Donna rated it really liked it
This guy is sort of a Robert Johnson wanna be. A cool book that has interesting things to say about syncronicity. More accessible than Jung but not as straightforward and applicable as Robert Johnson's work. A funny story: while I was reading this book, Ginger was reading a book entitled "Why People Believe Weird Things."
Kym Murphy
Sep 07, 2014 Kym Murphy rated it liked it
The first time I read this around 18 years ago I loved it. Due to events in my life I decided to pick it up again and got what I needed. With my knowledge of the universe now I found this book a little lacking on this second read... However I did get what I needed and that's all that counts.
Devika Koppikar
Oct 29, 2010 Devika Koppikar rated it it was amazing
I read this a while back, but I was quite impressed.

Hopke describes unique coincidences that often occur in our lives - as in the time someone saw a long lost high school classmate in a remote Pacific island.

Terra Bosart
Jun 06, 2009 Terra Bosart rated it liked it
A fun look at synchronicity through various tales of what appears to be coincidence, but proves to be much more. No profound research value, but fun stories all the same for establishing a definition of synchronicity for the uninitiated.
Lori Gertz
Sep 20, 2010 Lori Gertz rated it really liked it
I love reading about synchronicity and coincidence....it's not that I believe in determinism, but doesn't much of life feel very choreographed, as if planned way in advance of everything happening? Great book leaving a very thoughtful path in its wake.
Mark
Dec 26, 2009 Mark rated it it was ok
Some wonderful stories of amazing life-changing events, but from the perspective of a rather agnostic author. Ther real miracle is generally lost on him. A nice idea for a book, though!
Fishface
Feb 04, 2016 Fishface rated it it was ok
I have to give this a "meh." The author seems to state and restate his thesis, yet never comes to any real point about it.
_topo_
Nov 16, 2010 _topo_ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un pò prolisso (troppe storie tutte uguali), forse un pò troppo semplificatorio. Penso che convenga leggere direttamente Jung.
Verone
Apr 05, 2012 Verone rated it liked it
Started out interested in it but got bogged down with the extensive story-telling about half-way through. I liked some story-examples but wanted more of a tie to our faith.
coincidences.. 1 1 Dec 20, 2015 06:05AM
  • Synchronicity: The Bridge Between Matter and Mind
  • The Compassion of Animals: True Stories of Animal Courage and Kindness
  • The Essential Mystics: Selections from the World's Great Wisdom Traditions
  • Inside the Other Side: Soul Contracts, Life Lessons, and How Dead People Help Us, Between Here and Heaven
  • The Purpose of Your Life: Finding Your Place In The World Using Synchronicity, Intuition, And Uncommon Sense
  • Practical Intuition
  • Beyond Coincidence: Amazing Stories of Coincidence and the Mystery Behind Them
  • Strange But True: Mysterious and Bizarre People
  • Un cabinet d'amateur
  • The Crisis of Psychoanalysis - Essays on Freud, Marx & Social Psychology
  • The Language of the Body
  • Il mondo a piedi. Elogio della marcia
  • Cult Rapture
  • Jung to Live by
  • The Search for Omm Sety
  • The Celtic Shaman: A Handbook (Earth Quest)
  • Synchronicity: Science, Myth, and the Trickster