Start by marking “South Coast (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper)” as Want to Read:
South Coast (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper)

South Coast (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper)

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  655 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
A Shaman's Tale from the Golden Age of the Solar Clipper

Otto is Richard Krugg's only son and heir to the Shaman's gift. The only problem is Otto doesn't want it. He wants to be a fisherman. When company policies force unwelcome changes onto his life and threaten even the security of the village, Otto discovers that being a shaman isn't optional.

Jimmy Pirano is caught betwe
audiobook
Published 2007 by Durandus

To ask other readers questions about South Coast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about South Coast

Infected by Scott SiglerEarthcore by Scott SiglerThe Rookie by Scott SiglerNocturnal by Scott SiglerAncestor by Scott Sigler
Best Free Audiobooks
28th out of 157 books — 484 voters
The Bridge To Caracas by Stephen DouglassShadow Hills by Anastasia HopcusThe Secret Magdalene by Ki LongfellowKerri's War by Stephen DouglassThe Tainted Trust by Stephen Douglass
Lesser Known Authors
389th out of 3,567 books — 4,221 voters

More lists with this book...

BigJohn
Apr 15, 2013 BigJohn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-books
Nathan Lowell has a strking ability to make the ordinary extraordinary, without the conceits of fiction that are found in so much mainstream literature. I'm sure his next project will be about painting a room, and it will be tremendously exciting and a thrill to read.

In the Trader Tales series, he wove lessons on economics into the story and showed us how he could apply and extend his own shipboard experience to space travel in the future. In Ravenwood, Lowell flexed his literary muscles, effort
Melissa Hayden
The synopsis for this book is right on the money. So I'm not going to go into the details, just to my thoughts.

There is a true family aspect here with Richard, Rachel, and Otto. I love it. They are a family and love each other, don't always agree but work through it as a unit. This is wonderful to see.

We see welkies! If you listen/read Golden Age of the Solar Clipper series with Ish, you know what a welkie is. Shamans make them. And we see them right here where they start and how they evolve to
Jason Braida
Dec 31, 2015 Jason Braida rated it it was amazing
If you enjoyed the Solar Clipper series then you will enjoy South Coast. Once again Nathan Lowell uses Science Fiction to concentrate on the everyday life of worker bees as opposed to focusing on those with their hands on the levers of power. In this case, fishing quotas for the fisher folk of the South Coast are drastically increased due to mega corporation moving into the Dunsey Roads sector resulting in a huge increase in the amount of food required sector wide. The problem: South Coast is se ...more
Pontus Liljeblad
Jun 26, 2012 Pontus Liljeblad rated it liked it
Was tipped off to Nathan Lowell's Quarter Share by the excellent podcast starshipsofa's excellent cheapskate review. Available as free audiobook download from also excellent podiobooks. Ended out reading the entire excellent series and (obviously) paying for it. A low key personal and at times somewhat wistfully melancholic adventure.
Pat Cummings
Mar 11, 2015 Pat Cummings rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
It is a powerful world-builder who can create a tale where incidental characters have a viable back-story.

Here again is a series about a young man's discovery of his own power to succeed at life. If you have read Lowell's previous novels in the "Golden Age of the Solar Clipper", you are familiar with this theme.

Without any spoilers: In the Trader's Tales from that age (Quarter Share, Half Share, etc.), young Ishmael Wang comes of age through a series of positions on merchant spaceships. Wang's "
James Brackett
May 08, 2015 James Brackett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shaman's Son

Another of Powell's coming of age tales with a uniquely spiritual slant, the slant similar to the character of Mother Fairport in another of his stories. As always, the characters are endearing and the story line compelling. I like Lowell's stories; I read them over and over. I'm sure I'll get my money's worth out of this one as well. Even though I proofread them, too, the enjoyment is worth it.
Ryan Burt
Jul 22, 2012 Ryan Burt rated it really liked it
1) Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

2) Genre: Fantasy

3) Synopsis: Join Otto, Richard, and Rachel Krugg as they struggle with what it means to be the son of a shaman. Cast off with Jimmy, Tony, and Casey as they navigate the shoals and shallows of corporate fishery along the South Coast.

4) Feelings: When you read a synopsis about a Nathan Lowell book, it never sounds that exciting. There is something about his books that I truly enjoy. I love to hear about the day-to-day operations of his characters. Not
Alice Sabo
Jun 06, 2015 Alice Sabo rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-read, series
This one didn't wow me as much as the Tanyth Fairport series. I was more interested in the shaman's family than the company people. And I felt that the company people were a little 2 dimensional.

For my taste, there was a little too much information about commercial fishing.

But I will continue to check out any books by this author.
Pocosnoopy
Oct 02, 2015 Pocosnoopy rated it really liked it
This is a very good writer. Read the Share series first, if you can, as this book fits into that series but you can read it as a stand alone. Lowell makes every day life interesting and at times even compelling. He is a wonderful writer who handles the day to day life of a person extremely well.
Anita
Dec 09, 2014 Anita rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-read
I've waited eagerly to read in print the book I first heard as a podiobook. As I see it, the book is about people coming into their real personal power. One person has this strength at the beginning of the story, and her goodness is key in opening others to theirs. That's why I like this book so much besides the fact that it's just a great story to be immersed in. Nathan Lowell does tell good stories.

Having also read the Trader's Tales, I like the perspective seen in this book from those who liv
Norman Prather
Mar 10, 2016 Norman Prather rated it liked it
It's been awhile so no start or finish dates.
I can say it was good, definitely worth reading.
Alan
Aug 06, 2011 Alan added it
Pretty good, but I liked the Ismael Wang stories much better. I didn't listen to this story quite as compulsively. Nathan Lowell writes good narrative and reads very well. I just wasn't as attached to these characters. This story revolves around Fishermen on a company world. They have just been given a seemingly impossible quota of fish to fill or they risk being deported. This book follows the son of a shaman and his family and the head of fishing operations for the planet.
Jeremiah Kaye
Jan 27, 2014 Jeremiah Kaye rated it it was amazing
the Magic in this is so real and feels like life.
Cmoore
Dec 26, 2015 Cmoore rated it it was amazing
I just finished my third read through... I love this book... I love Jimmy Pirano's dilemma, how to find more fish, from a limited fishing ground... I love Otto's relationship with his family as he grows into the young man that he is destined to become... I love the Shamans spirituality that's reveled in this book... Nathan Lowell is an amazing wordsmith... Do yourself a favor and discover the books that Nathan has written...
Jeff Little
Jun 19, 2011 Jeff Little rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books written in the Golden Age of the Solar Clipper universe. The characters were interesting and I was very invested in their personal journeys as well as the overall arc of the novel. I also loved reading more about the welkies and how they are made. I am really looking forward to a sequel to this one!
Laz the Sailor
Jan 19, 2016 Laz the Sailor rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
This is a tangential book to the Ishmael Wang series. Some clever bits, but mostly meh.
Jeffrey Paris [was Infinite Tasks]
The South Coast definitely warranted a book of its own, following the brief mention in the Quarter Share series. The end is dreamy and lovely, even if the "politics" of the book are resolved a bit early, leaving nothing but crabbing for what seemed like a lot of the last chapters.
Marciealana
Dec 04, 2008 Marciealana rated it it was amazing
Another book in the Quarter Share universe, but this one is different. It's about a fishing village on a single planet and how the larger picture affects things. A wonderful mix of the traditional and the new. This book stands alone quite well.
Brian
Dec 11, 2008 Brian rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, podiobook
Expanding his Solar Clipper universe, Nathan Lowell focuses on the goings on of the fishing community on one planet. He also broadens the scope by following not one, but two characters this time around. A great read. Can't wait till the next one!
Martha
Feb 16, 2009 Martha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, podiobooks
This is my favorite Nathan Lowell podiobook, although all his books are wonderful. My grandson and I listen to his stories, he loves them even though they don't have fighting or weird aliens. Good stories, engaging characters
Keith Bell
Interesting addition to the Golden Age of the Solar Clipper universe. I found the description of fishing and economy behind it more interesting than the Shaman's story though.
Emmanuel
Similar in tone to Solar Clipper with a little slower and less immediate pace probably because of the different setting and more spread out cast of characters.
B. Ross Ashley
Aug 03, 2013 B. Ross Ashley rated it really liked it
very good standalone in the universe of the Solar Clipper series. The making of a South Coast shaman ... well, actually two of them.
Crystal Ledger
Mar 21, 2011 Crystal Ledger rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this podcast. Love the characters. Can't wait to listen to more of Nathan's podcast.
Sam
Sep 11, 2008 Sam rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, wonderful, absolutely enthralling novel of magic, science, and work.
Jul 07, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: podiobook
I'm courious to see what else comes with this series
kory kuhlmann
Dec 11, 2008 kory kuhlmann rated it it was amazing
So far the best book of a very good collection.
DAMAAR
DAMAAR is currently reading it
May 01, 2016
Darrell E.
Darrell E. rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2016
David
David rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2016
  • 7th Son: Deceit (7th Son, #2)
  • Max Quick: The Two Travelers (Max Quick, #2)
  • Murder at Avedon Hill
  • Crescent
  • Space Casey
  • Hell
  • The Case of the Singing Sword
  • Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era
  • The Rookie (Galactic Football League #1)
  • Tumbler
  • Morevi: The Chronicles of Rafe and Askana (Book 1)
  • Digital Magic (Fey #2)
Nathan Lowell has been a writer for more than forty years, and first entered the literary world by podcasting his novels. His sci-fi series, The Golden Age of the Solar Clipper grew from his long time fascination with space opera and his own experiences shipboard in the United States Coast Guard. Unlike most works which focus on a larger-than-life hero (prophesized savior, charismatic captain, or ...more
More about Nathan Lowell...

Golden Age of the Solar Clipper (6 books)
  • Quarter Share (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper, #1)
  • Half Share (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper, #2)
  • Full Share (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper, #3)
  • Double Share (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper, #4)
  • Captain's Share (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper, #5)
  • Owner's Share (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper, #6)

“Damn it, Jimmy, I’m an accountant—not a fishermen.” 2 likes
“Even with all the technology, information, and communications that they had, it still came down to men and women in frail boats doing hard, dirty work over long hours in an environment that would kill them if they weren’t both careful and lucky.” 2 likes