Start by marking “Be a People Person” as Want to Read:
Be a People Person

Be a People Person

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  580 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Being a leader means working with people, and that's not always easy! Interpersonal relationships can make or break a leader-whether in the office, the church, or elsewhere.
Published April 5th 2002 by Victor (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Be a People Person, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be a People Person

Relațiile, fie cele profesionale, de amiciție sau familiale, joacă un rol important în viață fiecărei persoane. Fie că suntem extroverți sau introverți, sociabili sau nu, nu putem nega faptul că în fiecare zi din viață ne ciocnim de oameni, în mediul profesional, colegi, prieteni, cunoștinte, familie, chiar și persoana din fața tejghelei de la magazin. Dar cum ne raportam la cei din jur? Cum putem avea o influență în viețile celor din jur? Cum putem avea succes în afaceri și familie? Acestea sun ...more
Take Aways:

- Leaders have two important characteristics: they are going somewhere, and they are able to persuade other people to go with them.

- The key to greatness is to be in reality what we appear to be - Socrates

- Remember these truths: A person must soon forget himself to be long remembered. He must empty himself in others to discover a fuller self. He must lose himself to find himself. Forget yourselves into greatness. Empty yourself into adventure. Lose yourself into immortality.

- The me
Nathan Schneider
This was a helpful read with principles that could be applied immediately. Maxwell speaks a lot about being an encourager, who equips people to be their best. This is the way to be a people person and to encourage a successful team. He also addresses some issues that will prove to be helpful for anyone, such as how to handle conflict and how to deal with difficult people. This was one of Maxwell's best and it's also one of his earliest. He uses more Scripture than usual, which I found beneficial ...more
Dave Courtney
And easy read, but yet full of great bits of wisdom that can transform how you look and deal with with and find success with the relationships around you. While the book is geared towards leaders, but at the same time anchors itself in the old adage that everyone is a leader in some capacity. The truth is much of what you will find in these pages can apply to our everyday interactions, although there certainly are a few chapters that dive more explicitly in to a defined leadership role that some ...more
John Maxwell is one of the leading authorities on how to be an effective leader. This book contains a wealth of great examples and anecdotes to help illustrate his principles, but I found most of the principles to be based on common sense (but nevertheless very good reminders).
• Treat others as you would want to be treated: encourage them, appreciate them, forgive them, listen to them, understand them.
• In life you’re either going to see people as your adversaries or your assets and that is how
Paul Charles
Well worth reading with sound advice concerning what it means to lead people and help them to achieve what they're capable of. Doesn't mince it's words at points, because when you're leading people you must be able to make the tough decisions. Has a good focus on servant leadership.
Sam Belsterling
Don't waste your time reading this. Instead, go to any generic quote website, and read a couple dozen quotes about being a good person. Boom. You've done the same work as Maxwell. I really don't know how he sells books.
Had quite a few good points about leadership and relationships in general. Also contained many short quotes/references to make the points. It was a useful read; tended to be a little 'jumpy' though.
Maria Miaoulis
Some may be turned off by the constant religious references, but the author does provide valid points on what it takes to become a people person using his own experience from his life's work.
Good interpersonal leadership principles worth considering and implementing. However, there's one thing with John Maxwell: once you've read one of his books, you've kind of read 'em all.
I liked most of the book but it got super religious midway through, which doesn't appeal to me. Towards the end, it felt really light on actual substance.
Chad Manske
An exceptional read on people skills, leadership, and working with people for maximum effectiveness. Maxwell's books never fail to motivate!
Eh. Some good stuff in it. Seemed to have a focus on leadership skills rather than practical skills for everyday laymen like me.
G. Jorge Medina
Now I know where preachers get so many of their illustrations and leadership sermons. It was good, just not as great as the name Maxwell seems to portray.
Helped me at a time I was really having trouble in a hostile workplace.
Venus Guyos
Great dig from this one:
The secret of "The People Person" is CHARISMA (gift of grace)which stands for:
I: Influence/to lead
S: Sensitivity/to feel and respond
M: Motivation/to give hope
A: Affirmation/to build up

Bagi yang membaca versi terjemahannya seperti saya, ada dua pilihan:

Fokus pada maksud dan tujuan John C. Maxwell menulis buku ini. Artinya kamu harus benar-benar fokus sehingga tidak sempat memperhatikan hasil terjemahan yang bisa membuatmu merobek-robek halaman-halaman yang tengah kamu baca ini.

simpan di sudut yang tak terlihat atau letakkan dengan baik dalam kotak berisikan barang-barang yang sudah tidak terpakai, lalu pergilah ke toko buku dan beli english version saja.

sekian :)
Josh L.
One of Maxwell's early books- chock full of classic Maxwellisms- solid and broad ranging advice
Heather Denigan
Good, basic principles (you know, the kind you need CONTINUOUS help to remember!) soundly applied. Someone once said that simple principles when applied become profound. Maxwell does that here. He seems to address pastors more particularly in this book than in "Developing the Leader Within You;" taking note of the lessons here, combined with sound Christian doctrine, ought to make for an effective minister, shepherd, and servant in God's kingdom. Good stuff for parents too.
Steve Campbell
If you can get through the cliches and humorous stories on every other page, you will get some choice nuggets of wisdom concerning how leaders can improve their people skills.
John Maxwell este cunoscut in lumea evanghelica pentru abilitatile sale de oratorie si leadership. Titlul in romana are aceasta forma probabil din ratiuni de marketing, titlul original fiind Be a people person (Cum sa fii la dispozitia oamenilor). Traducerea este importanta deoarece strategii de leadership sunt prezentate dintr-o perspetiva crestina fara ca aceasta carte sa fie una de nisa evanghelica.
Gracielle Balantakbo
It's a very short book but it took me some time to finish when I could have easily breezed through a 500-page fiction novel in a single day. I guess because of all the years I've spent reading fiction, my thoughts tend to drift away when my imagination is not being stretched. Still, I learned a lot from this book and I hope to apply them in life.
Jonathan Tomes
There are some great principles to think on and revisit. The author has an odd way of using Scripture to appeal to authority for his points. Often, the text doesn't have anything to do with what he is saying. Still, Maxwell knows a thing or two about leadership and it is worthwhile to pay attention.
All very good information. My biggest challenge with this book is that it was clearly written before my intellectual time. His stories and examples are interesting but it isn't until he actually explains afterwards that I understand the point he was trying to make. The people and events he refers to have no meaning for me. I did like the book however and took notes to look back on.
This book would be a good read for someone who is challenged with dealing with or getting along with other people. It shares basic concepts that help build better working relationships and increase communication. Since I have read so many of Maxwell's books, it was a good reminder of these skills, but did not keep my total interest like some of his other books.
Kevin Spear
This book did an outstanding job of showing how your attitudes towards others can help or hinder your goals. It starts with how you can be a someone likes and respects, then how to deal with people around you. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a well-rounded strategy on working with those we come into contact with every day.
Chola Mukanga
I have enjoyed reading this book. It does exactly what it says on the tin. I particularly liked what he has to say about how we can grow as individuals - as well as how best to give and receive criticism. I must read it again soon!
Gordon Alley
This book should be read by every leader who desires to influence people around him. This book was one of the earlier books that was written while John Maxwell was pastoring. It contains a wealth of biblical truth to help people from all walks of life develop their relationship skills.
I usually like this author. Not as good as I hoped.
AyЯa Acuña
The first few chapters really got me hooked so I was sort of disappointed when I lost interest at the middle part to the end. Basically, the things this book is teaching us is something that not only the people person does. It's what every good leader does I reckon.
DATC Book Club: Be a People Person 1 3 Oct 22, 2014 03:04PM
  • Christianish: What If We're Not Really Following Jesus at All?
  • Astonished: Recapturing the Wonder, Awe, and Mystery of Life with God
  • Better: How Jesus Satisfies the Search for Meaning
  • Be Committed (Ruth & Esther): Doing God's Will Whatever the Cost (The BE Series Commentary)
  • 19 Gifts of the Spirit
  • Cross Talk: Where Life and Scripture Meet
  • Vertical Church: What Every Heart Longs for. What Every Church Can Be.
  • Indescribable: Encountering the Glory of God in the Beauty of the Universe
  • Shame Interrupted: How God Lifts the Pain of Worthlessness and Rejection
  • Nothing Is Impossible with God: Reflections on Weakness, Faith, and Power
  • The Juggling Act: Bringing Balance to Your Faith, Family, and Work
  • Start Here: Beginning a Relationship with Jesus
John C. Maxwell is an internationally recognized leadership expert, speaker, and author who has sold over 16 million books. His organizations have trained more than 2 million leaders worldwide. Dr. Maxwell is the founder of EQUIP and INJOY Stewardship Services. Every year he speaks to Fortune 500 companies, international government leaders, and audiences as diverse as the United States Military Ac ...more
More about John C. Maxwell...
The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership Developing the Leader Within You Failing Forward: How to Make the Most of Your Mistakes Winning with People The 360 Degree Leader: Developing Your Influence from Anywhere in the Organization

“if you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you.” 170 likes
“When you realize that people treat you according to how they see themselves rather than how you really are, you are less likely to be affected by their behavior.” 6 likes