Start by marking “My Struggle with Faith” as Want to Read:
My Struggle with Faith

My Struggle with Faith

The author of the bestselling Joshua series and other popular inspirational books chronicles his own spiritual journey and describes with stunning honesty the difficult decisions he made along the way.
Joseph Girzone has attracted a tremendous following with his series of novels that imagine Jesus living in the contemporary world. His nonfiction writings and talks on spiri
Published December 31st 2006 by Doubleday Books (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about My Struggle with Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Struggle with Faith

Linda
Dec 21, 2016 Linda rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful book. Starts out a bit slow but eventually manifests into an enlightening testimony of what all people of faith can recognize which are institutions of peace, respect, acceptance, and service. I read the Joshua series years ago which allowed me to understand some of his concepts on the importance of Jesus in our world. His holiness cannot be underestimated.
Diane
Jun 29, 2009 Diane rated it liked it
Author of the JOSHUA series of books has written a refreshing and enlightening series of short essays about his faith/doubt/search journey. Particularly appealing to me were his fresh insights into the old familiar gospel stories about Jesus, and his rationale for his close reading of the early church fathers. Girzone relies on the earliest believers who did not know Jesus personally -- called the Desert Fathers and early Church Fathers -- to give him (and us) additional insights about the conti ...more
Dave Mackey
Joseph Girzone's book is amazing. While I don't agree with more than a few points of his theology, his clarity and passion is evident throughout and I highly recommend this small volume. I hope to write a multi-part response to his book, highlighting both what hit me strongest and also the areas in which Girzone's theology most significantly deviates from 'evangelical' theology.
Beth
Aug 17, 2012 Beth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspirational
It wa so refreshing to read that not everyone affiliated with the Catholic Church is out of touch with the needs of people today. Such a shame Father Girzone is retired - I would still be a member of the Catholic Church if there were more priests like him.
Troy
Nov 22, 2009 Troy rated it it was ok
Shelves: theology
A light read. He seemed to focus on alot of flimsy annecdotes to provide examples which made most of his points weak. I thought this would be a little more personal story, given the title. He just didn't speak to me, or strike any intrest.
Malcolm
Jul 25, 2010 Malcolm rated it liked it
Good book by a retired catholic priest. His comments about the church, Jeusus and God are interesting however, given the title of the book, I finished it with little sense of his struggle. He is author of the Joshua books which I have not read, but would like to read sometime.
Laurie
Jul 22, 2013 Laurie rated it really liked it
I loved Fr. Girzoze's insights into his struggles with his faith. I have read his Joshua books and would never have thought that he would have the same struggles as we all do keeping our faith.
Belva
Jun 28, 2009 Belva rated it really liked it
Joseph Girzone brings up a lot of questions I had but hadn't articulated even to myself. I plan to reread it a little slower and check into some of the answers he gave to questions he had.
John Zak
John Zak rated it did not like it
Jun 12, 2016
Alan
Alan rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2010
Ken Sorrell
Ken Sorrell rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2015
Roger E Birk
Roger E Birk rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2016
Kent Little
Kent Little rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2012
Andrew Mantle
Andrew Mantle rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2009
Rowena Holloway
Rowena Holloway rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2015
Elaine Byrd
Elaine Byrd rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2015
Julienne
Julienne rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2013
M. Aileen
M. Aileen rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2014
Teresa
Could not get into this one!
Robby
Robby rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Peggy Wagner
Peggy Wagner rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2007
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it it was ok
Mar 13, 2012
Conrad Lehman
Conrad Lehman rated it it was ok
Jan 30, 2012
Andrew Minneman
Andrew Minneman rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2015
Patrick
Jul 14, 2007 Patrick rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ANYONE
this book should be read by every Catholic who has ever strugled with their faith.
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Jeanne
Jeanne rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2015
Tammie McElligott
Tammie McElligott rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2009
Jenny (Jenny's Book Bag) Baker
I love his books!
Dan
Dan rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2008
« previous 1 3 next »
FROM PUBLISHER:
JOSEPH F. GIRZONE retired from the active priesthood in 1981 due to health reasons, and embarked on a second career as a writer and speaker.

In 1995 he established the Joshua Foundation, an organization dedicated to making Jesus better known throughout the world.

His bestselling books include Joshua, A Portrait of Jesus, and Never Alone. He lives in Altamont, New York.
More about Joseph F. Girzone...

“If you want to have peace of soul, learn to forgive. Jesus' secret was His ability to see into people's hearts. Seeing their anguish and pain helped Him to understand their nastiness. So He could pity them rather than become angry with them. That is what we have to do: try to understand the pain in people's lives...and not take personally what they do to us.” 16 likes
“I learned that I was never alone, that there was Someone always very close by and, indeed, within me, giving me strength in times of weakness and desolation, light in times of darkness, joy in times of great sorrow and pain, and the will to struggle on when continuing seemed futile.” 9 likes