Start by marking “Tribal Vision: A celebration of life through tribal belly dance” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Tribal Vision: A celeb...

Paulette Rees-Denis

Tribal Vision: A celebration of life through tribal belly dance

Tribal Vision is an inspired, insightful, and important account of the origins of Tribal Belly Dance and the author's personal journey through this brilliant and artistic community. Part of this dance movement from the beginning, Paulette Rees-Denis shares her vision of its past, present, and future. This is a deeply satisfying book for experienced dancers as well as new ...more
Published June 10th 2008 by Cultivator Press

To ask other readers questions about Tribal Vision, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tribal Vision

Joy
Oct 11, 2008 Joy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: feminists and dancers!
A beautifully written and picture filled history of Paulette Rees Denis, director of Gypsy Caravan dance company of Portland, Oregon, as she studied with American Tribal Style belly dance's creatrix, Carolena Nerricio and came to be one of leaders in ATS. A GREAT and rare book on the subject of ATS. beautiful!
Paulette Rees-Denis
Nov 18, 2009 Paulette Rees-Denis added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Since I wrote this one, I of course think it is grand! How about you?
Steph
Jun 12, 2010 Steph rated it it was amazing
First of all, I really enjoyed the many pictures scattered throughout this book. It was very well-written, and the pictures made the content seem all the more real. The author really knows what she is talking about. I also enjoyed how this book was able to allow me to understand belly dancing on a different level than what society drills into our heads about it. I can appreciate how the author talks about belly dancing from a personal and cultural level. Not just a how-to book, it also goes into ...more
Flissy
Apr 27, 2009 Flissy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: tribal bellydancers
Recommended to Flissy by: Amy
Shelves: 2009
I really enjoyed reading this personal account of the experiences surrounding the development of tribal bellydance. Paulette's vision is sincere, and her attitude towards dance is heartwarming. The photographs were absolutely stunning. This book left me wanting more! More thoughts from Paulette about dance, what she teaches, her community... everything! I look forward to more writings from Paulette and hope to have the chance to dance with her someday myself!
Melissa
Nov 27, 2009 Melissa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: every woman and any man who appreciates the womanly form
Recommended to Melissa by: I won a copy from the publishers through here.
This is a great book to read. There are amazing pictures and the words paint their own pictures. I was curious about belly dance before but this book just strengthened the interest.

Beside the point that it gives beautiful images of the subject, it shows how wonderful women are and how our bodies are beautiful. It makes one know they are attractive in their body and are not alone in their doubts about that. This is a wonderful book that I will keep forever and reread over and over.
MJ
Sep 24, 2008 MJ rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A beautiful pictorial work detailing the history of the troupe Caravan from Portland, OR. Their dance studio is only 4 blocks from my sister’s home! If you like to dance and dress up this books is for you! Couldn't figure out why one would choose the tribal style--after reading this book, I know.
Indigo Editing/Ink-Filled Page
Jul 29, 2008 Indigo Editing/Ink-Filled Page rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edited
Tribal Vision is a great book for summing up a brief history of Tribal Bellydance and drawing readers into the love of the dance. After editing this book, bellydance lessons have been undoubtedly on the top of my list of things to do!
Deborah
Deborah rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2014
Joanna
Joanna rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2011
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2012
Misha
Misha rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2016
Jo
Jo rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2010
Susan E. Schmidt
Susan E. Schmidt rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2015
Maria Stava
Maria Stava rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2012
Sarah SK
Sarah SK rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2012
Lysa
Nov 30, 2013 Lysa marked it as to-read
Received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Cindy
Apr 13, 2011 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-reading
i loved this book...the first time i read it, i read it straight through, it was so interesting!
Siobhan
Siobhan rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2014
Alicia
Alicia rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2014
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2013
Sharon
Sharon rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2011
Catty Confetti
Catty Confetti rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2011
Kika
Jan 17, 2013 Kika rated it it was amazing
Tribal.Bellydancers.Just.Have.To.Read.This.Book.
Alia
Alia marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2008
Jennifer Defoy
Jennifer Defoy marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2008
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2008
Lisa
Lisa is currently reading it
Oct 29, 2008
Brandyreeves
Brandyreeves marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2009
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2009
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2009
Amy
Amy added it
Aug 18, 2009
Stephanie Bolton
Stephanie Bolton marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2009
Arielle
Arielle marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2009
Meg
Meg added it
Oct 05, 2010
Amanda Chea
Amanda Chea marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2011
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2011
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2012
Littlemissnaz
Littlemissnaz marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2012
Paulette Rees-denis
Paulette Rees-denis marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2012
Isdihara
Isdihara marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2012
Abigail
Abigail marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2012
Bat
Bat marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2012
Bridgett
Bridgett marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2012
Kalyani Luna
Kalyani Luna marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2013
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2013

Combing her love of dance, words, and music with her desire for well-being, health, and fitness, Paulette is an advocate for her organic and vegetarian lifestyle, and a firm believer in cross-training. She has practiced Yoga for over 30 years, along with several varieties of fitness, including being a licensed Zumba instructor, and incorporates kick-boxing, Pilates, ballet, jazz, hip-hop, circuit
More about Paulette Rees-Denis...