The Tutor's First Love

The Tutor's First Love

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  306 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Another classic love story retold for today's reader. Deep spiritual insights are artfully woven into the intriguing plot.
Published July 1st 2000 by Bethany House Publishers (first published 1862)

To ask other readers questions about The Tutor's First Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tutor's First Love

Cindy Marsch
I have read only the eponymous selection, but this collection is ENORMOUS, and I hope to dip into it throughout my life! After reading Michael Phillips's adaptations of several of MacDonald's novels I was keen to read some in the original form, Scots and all. This collection meets that need, and I'm glad to have read the first story as G.M. intended it.
Charis
MacDonald was a spiritual genius. He was not a psychological genius; some of his characters are ridiculously saintly. The story itself could have been excellent if the characters were a little more believable, but I wasn't reading it for the story; I was reading for the spiritual insights, which, as I mentioned, were genius.
Glen Grunau
The more I read George MacDonald, the more I find in his writing the soul of a contemplative. Here a few of my favourite quotes from this book.

This quote challenged my view of God, which is still in need of further refining: "My father used to say that God was always finding every excuse for us that could be found; every true one, you know; not one false one."

One of the reasons I have found much of conservative evangelicalism so unsatisfying is because of the proud certainty with which so many c...more
Brian
Ebb and Flow was theme of my experience with this book. There were definitely some slow parts to this book, but - like every MacDonald book - lots of wonderful insights. Some nights I would get 7 or 8 chapters in - couldn't put it down... other nights I couldn't get past one chapter. At one point, the book took an unexpected turn and became pleasantly terrifying - this was the best part for me. Unfortunately, by chapter 60, I was ready for it to be done... definitely too long. Also, while I'm fa...more
MaryBliss
A edited version of George MacDonald's "David Elginbrod". I am grateful for the elimination of the writing in dialect that MacDonald used when he first wrote this. 19th century Scottish brogue in written form is a challenge for me. At the same time I am told that the editor also did some cutting of the text and that makes me wonder what good stuff I missed.

It's an interesting read, giving thoughtful insight into MacDonald's theology and his response to the practice of religion in his day as wel...more
Elizabeth Kipps
I have been all but absorbed in George MacDonald's non-fanciful novels for the past several months. This is the first of the Michael Phillips edited versions that I've read. I was wary of them to begin with, but I found this volume at a thrift store and decided to give it a go. Mr. Phillips' edition obviously made for a quicker, lighter read, but there was little of the luster and richness to which I've grown accustomed in George MacDonald's other wonderful works. Alas! Lesson learned. I will st...more
Lynda Newman
Story was very good, but hard to read. Takes place in Scotland and the conversations make for slow going.
Amber
2.5

I like George McDonald's writing style, it's classic and nostalgic. But the story itself did not come together for me. In the beginning two characters meet, the stage is set for what is to come, but it doesn't happen until the end. It felt like all the rest was filler, just because it's pretty obvious what will happen, right from the beginning.
Becky Mackey
This was my second read of this book. I was in high school the first time I read it. In this second reading, I was struck by different things since I now twice the age of my first reading and mother of two. I love books that take you along on the path of personal and spiritual development without beating you over the head about it.
Hope
Beautifully written. More of a story about grace than a love story.
Rebecca
I loved this book. It had been a while since I had read a book by MacDonald and now I remember why I enjoy his stories so much.
Charity U
MacDonald is such an interesting author! This story had some strange twists, but was overall enjoyable.
Elsbeth
Though the Scottish was somewhat difficult by times, I enjoyed this book immensely.
Christian
It is always a pleasure to be reminded of just how deep and pure God's love is for us.
Eileen
An old fashioned book but such beautiful characters. An engaging plot, too.
Karen L.
Romantic and inspiring, of course it's a George MacDonald!
Marty Love
Still one of my favorite books.
Cws
Dec 04, 2008 Cws added it
Shelves: young-adult
YA Mac
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Yolanda Chapa
Yolanda Chapa marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Marissa
Marissa marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
  • Stranger at Stonewycke (Stonewycke Legacy, #1)
  • Dana's Valley
  • Papa's Wife (The Franzons, #1)
  • A Thousand Shall Fall (Shiloh Legacy #2)
  • Heirs of the Motherland (The Russians, #4)
  • The Disappearing Stranger (Adventures of the Northwoods #1)
  • Song Of The Silent Harp (Emerald Ballad #1)
  • Hymns to the Night (English and German Edition)
George MacDonald was a Scottish author, poet, and Christian minister.

Known particularly for his poignant fairy tales and fantasy novels, George MacDonald inspired many authors, such as W. H. Auden, J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, and Madeleine L'Engle. It was C.S. Lewis that wrote that he regarded MacDonald as his "master": "Picking up a copy of Phantastes one day at a train-station bookstall, I be...more
More about George MacDonald...
The Princess and the Goblin The Princess and Curdie Phantastes At the Back of the North Wind The Light Princess

“It would hardly be kindness if he didn't punish sin, not to use every means to put the evil thing far from us. Whatever may be meant by the place of misery Mr. Sutherland, it's only another form of his love. Love shining through the fogs of evil, and thus made to look very different.” 3 likes