Start by marking “Superman: The Greatest Stories Ever Told, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Superman: The Greatest Stories Ever Told, Vol. 1

Superman: The Greatest Stories Ever Told, Vol. 1 (The Greatest Stories Ever Told)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  75 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
SUPERMAN: THE GREATEST STORIES EVER TOLD features the first and greatest super hero the world has ever known: Superman Witness the events that have made The Man of Steel one of the most recognizable icons on the planet, captivating audiences and sparking imaginations
Published 2004 by Titan Books (UK) (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Superman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Superman

Matt Garcia
Jun 03, 2014 Matt Garcia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great introduction to the character of Superman. His origin, morals, motives and personality are explored throughout this collection and his evolution over the years was intriguing to see. While I am not a big Superman fan, I now have a newfound respect for the character that was previously lacking. Solid collection showcasing "The Man of Steel"
Adam Graham
Dec 27, 2013 Adam Graham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This second take on the Greatest Superman Stories divides the collection into two volumes. This first volume collects 10 Superman stories.

Most of these have been reprinted elsewhere either in Decade collections or in the previous version of the Greatest Superman Stories ever told, but that can also be taken as a measure of the quality of the work and that the compilers generally got things right.

The book begins with a somewhat dry introduction by Michael Uslan.

Next up is the origin of Superman
Patrick
The best story in the whole book, by far is the very first story. Superman takes Hitler and Stalin to the World court.
Meghan
Feb 05, 2016 Meghan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Definitely liked this one more than the last one I read. I really liked the progression it showed of Superman's character over the decades and how he transformed to a wish fulfillment thug to the legend of truth and justice we know today.
Dominique
Jun 29, 2015 Dominique rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, dc
Since I've mostly bee inundated with Batman, Superman seemed kinda boring, but the early comics were hilarious, and the later ones were really interesting. It was a good overview since I had never read a Superman comic before. And I learned lots of stuff!
Lloyd
This one is another step along my personal journey to discovering what everyone says are the best Superman stories ever done. I had pooled resources and a few of the stories on everyone's lists appeared in this book, so I picked it up.

While I'm not anywhere near the encyclopedic knowledge I wish to have of Superman and his adventures, I've read a good many Superman stories... and I'm sad to say that this book does not have many of what I myself consider the greatest.

I mean, this book is a grea
L.A.
May 14, 2015 L.A. rated it liked it
This is the first volume of a collected set of "best of" stories. From a neophyte's pov, it's cool to see what storylines are considered best/most important, and I'm really interested in reading more now (questions, I have them!). Superman is a lot more interesting than I gave him credit for being, and this is why reading is fundamental.
Kiril
Kiril marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Ji Mei
Ji Mei rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Emmanuel Camargo
Emmanuel Camargo marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Andrew Vickers
Andrew Vickers marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
James
James marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Safraz
Safraz marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Quentin
Quentin marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Donovan
Donovan marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2015
Patrick O'Loughlin
Patrick O'Loughlin rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2015
David Borg
David Borg marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Emma Shipman
Emma Shipman rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2015
Edward McWhirter
Edward McWhirter marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Brandon Ball
Brandon Ball rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2015
Derya Kosucuoglu
Derya Kosucuoglu marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Kholoud
Kholoud marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Rie Conley
Rie Conley marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
The3rdman
The3rdman rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2015
Karlene
Karlene rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2015
Jospinad
Jospinad marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Leonardo
Leonardo rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Jerome "Jerry" Siegel, who also used pseudonyms including Joe Carter, Jerry Ess, and Herbert S. Fine, was the American co-creator of Superman (along with Joe Shuster), the first of the great comic book superheroes and one of the most recognizable icons of the 20th century.
He and Shuster were inducted into the comic book industry's Will Eisner Comic Book Hall of Fame in 1992 and the Jack Kirby Hall
More about Jerry Siegel...

The Greatest Stories Ever Told (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • The Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told
  • Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told: Catwoman and the Penguin
  • Batman: The Greatest Stories Ever Told
  • Batman: The Greatest Stories Ever Told, Vol. 2
  • The Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told
  • The Joker: The Greatest Stories Ever Told (Batman)
  • The Greatest Superman Stories Ever Told