Start by marking “Smart and Simple Financial Strategies for Busy People” as Want to Read:
Smart and Simple Financial Strategies for Busy People

Smart and Simple Financial Strategies for Busy People

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Are you too busy to pay much attention to your money? Do you worry that maybe you haven't been doing the right things? This book is for you, from Jane Bryant Quinn, the most trusted voice in personal finance today. Her classic bestseller, Making the Most of Your Money, guided a generation toward smart and sensible financial choices. Here she strips away the extras, choosin ...more
Published January 1st 2006 by Simon & Schuster

Be the first to ask a question about Smart and Simple Financial Strategies for Busy People

Greta
A good overview of the financial basics, with a heavy emphasis on how you can automate the process (set up direct deposits, automatic bill pay, etc.) to streamline your investing, savings, and debt repayment. Although the tone was heavy on the "fear factor" in some places (particularly in the retirement and insurance chapters) compared to Suze Orman's optimistic tone, but overall, Jane Bryant Quinn provided good, basic advice in the major areas of personal finance: debt repayment, insurance, wil ...more
Javier
I'm not that busy.
Dwain
Quinn's book was pleasant. Quinn's voice is very motherly and it is so much more comfortable to hear financial advice from somebody's mother than it is to hear it from some overbearing Wall-Street guru. Most of the book is a very quick read, or listen, as the case may be; however, she goes into a lot of detail about very specific products, which can get a little tiresome. For example, Quinn talks about many different kinds of 529, and tells you which states and which companies offer the best opt ...more
Steve
"Smart and Simple Financial Strategies for Busy People" is a good comprehensive general overview of personal finances in life. It introduces most of the types of financial accounts and products one needs to be aware of.

Quinn recommends making a list of all your bank accounts, debts, insurance, retirement accounts, college savings, brokerage house or mutual fund accounts, real estate holdings, and other investments, along with their current values. The list doesn't stop here, though--next to each
Leanda
I enjoyed this book and learned a lot of useful tips. I liked her "hands off" saving and investing approach. I'd reccomend this book to anyone who wants a basic introduction to investing, saving, and insurance plans.
Matt
This is a great step by step book that covers everything and gives instruction on who to contact or what to look for when doing all your financial planning. This includees, Insurance, Wills, Trusts, Mortgages, 401Ks, IRAs, what mutual funds to buy, what to avoid, all about diversification, college tuition, and the list goes on. If you want a general understandig of this get the book on tape and listen to it with a pad of paper and a pen.
Lisa
(Non-Fiction, Financial) This book provides a great overview for financial strategies. Quinn lays a fantastic groundwork for anyone with any amount of money to get their finances headed in a positive direction and keep them headed that way with minimal work. Her book is set up as a to-do list, so I found myself marking steps and to-dos to become more financially organized. Highly recommended!
Janelle
Simple and straightforward guide to basic financial health and investing. I recommend the audiobook if you want a good introduction to these concepts; if you want to actually put the program she describes and the included exercises into practice, get the book itself, as one is unlikely to take notes while, for example, listening to the audio book in the car.
Kelly
I am very hesitant to read anything with the author pictured on the cover—especially any sort of financial advice book. That said, this short and sweet book has good basic advice for anyone who doesn't want to delve too deep into personal finance but does not want to raked over the coals by the financial products industry.
Lychee
I finally have a financial plan thanks to this book (on cd)! I've listened to three or four books about financial management and this one reinforced what I learned from the others, helped me choose between competing adivce, plus put it all together. Now I have to enact my plan.
Asriel
A must-read for anyone looking to set their financial house in order. Quinn details everything from how to set up automatic bill payments to wills and living wills to retirement savings.
Carmen
I read this for the advice on how to save for kids college and invest for retirement. Solid, straight forward advice and detailed when I wanted it to be.
Tara
This book has a lot of clear, simple financial and organizational advice that I still refer to today, several years after first reading it.
Cari
I read it a few years ago and just borrowed it again to re-read the mortgage chapter.

For a book about personal finance, it's very good.
LK
Feb 19, 2008 LK added it
Not a fun read -- what's fun about finances? -- but I do think this is going to help me make some choices. I wish I'd read it 10 years ago.
Aaron Beitch
Very clear summary of a ton of different investing topics and good advice as well.
Lucy
very helpful for people who want to build up our financial health.
Zain
Zain marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Tifosi
Tifosi marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Jacob
Jacob marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Lisa
Lisa is currently reading it
May 14, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Making the Most of Your Money: Completely Revised and Updated for the Twenty-First Century Making the Most of Your Money Now (Revised) Everyone's Money Book How to Make Your Money Last: The Indispensable Retirement Guide How to Use the Power of the Printed Word