Never Be Lied to Again: How to Get the Truth In 5 Minutes Or Less In Any Conversation Or Situation

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  499 ratings  ·  56 reviews
How many times have you been manipulated or taken advantage of by someone's lies? Are you tired of being deceived, tricked, and fooled? Finally, renowned behaviorist David J. Lieberman shows you how to stop the lies and uncover the truth-- in any conversation or situation. In a simple, user-friendly format, Dr. Lieberman gives you the tools to determine, with uncanny accur...more
Published May 15th 1998 by St. Martin's Press (first published 1998)

Lbrownblack
Breakdown
Mar 30, 2009 Breakdown rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Not anyone really
This book doesn't really give out much new information about picking up when a person is lying. It covers body language and the like, nothing really new.

My problem with the book are a couple of things; One, it doesn't talk about what to do with the information once you know if someone is lying, and that sometimes you're just better off letting people lie. Two, it asks you to lie in order to catch a person in the lie; where does it make sense to lie to catch a lie? Aren't you just as bad as the l...more
GhaDeeR
من أروع الكتب التي قرأتها .. لغه بسيطه .. أمثله رائعه يمكن تطبيقها بسهوله .. يظهر لنا مدى صدق البعض من خلال الكثير من المواقف .. والتشديد على بعض الألفاظ أثناء أحاديثهم .. باختصار هذا الكتاب يعلمك كيف تستدرج الشخص الذي أمامك للإعتراف بما تريد بمنتهى الهدوء .. ربما هناك بعض الحيل التي نطبقها بعفويه وبعضها يأتي بنتيجة عكسيه لكن في النهاية يمكن اعتباره دورة تدريبيه ممتازة إذا ماتمت قراءته بشكل متأني ومدروس وتطبيقه بالشكل الصحيح .. شخصياً أعتقد أن هذا الكتاب يحتاج لأكثر من قراءة
Melissa
I won't quite call this quackery, but I'm pretty dubious as to the actual uses of this book. I even tried out some of the methods in here and even though I knew the people I asked weren't going to lie to me, according to this book, they were. But I'll get into that later.

Never Be Lied To Again goes through all the different ways of lying, how to determine if someone is lying, how to get to them to tell the truth, and other strategies you could ever want to know. It helps determine body language,...more
Robert L.
Mar 24, 2010 Robert L. is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This book talks about non-verbal and verbal language. This book is better than many books in this category. It doesn't just talk about what a behavior means, which oftentimes is debatable. It explains why the behavior can be interpreted a certain way given natural human inclinations. That allowed me to understand why a given interpretation has behavioral validity. It also suggests eliciting additional data to determine if original assessment of veracity is correct.
Ahmed Thobaiti
Because I am not a master of deception and lies, I couldn't spot subtel sign of lies. This book would be a great addition to such naive person. But for expert, it sound too basic. It did change my perspective, the way I look into things. It so rewarding when you catch someone with his lie :)
Sabrina Singer
amazing book! great stuff to be aware of its something i like to read over and over again to to refresh my mind. the doctor who wrote this really knows his stuff and makes it simple for all to understand
Huma Rashid
Now I know how to respond to questions when I'm lying to someone. :D
Christine
This has some basic useful information on the subject matter.
Chris Fanning
This has good content and the author, David Lieberman, makes an attempt to abandon the jargon of psychology but often is too vague to hold the reader. It is nicely segmented in small chunks for the reader. Although the brevity was nice, often I found Lieberman's style to become lost in itself where abbreviations became confusing and references make reading burdensome. In addition, some conclusions were hastened and lacked the finality of a deductively reasoned point.

Despite these criticism, the...more
Derrick
I saw this at the library as a part of my interviewing preparation. I get nervous very easily, and I think sometimes just being nervous is enough to make people think I am lying. I'm trying to correct that with this tape, to try to be relaxed enough that when I'm being honest I look honest.

I relearned some things about making eye contact, keeping an open posture, make physical contact. One thing I learned is that when trying to remember something you look to your opposite hand side and up. I do...more
Cody Sexton
The experience of reading this book is very much like being thrown a life vest. What I mean by this of course is that among the varying techniques outlined in this book for detecting deception the techniques for detecting bullshit were, to me, the most relevant, considering the fact that we're practically drowning in it, hence the life vest reference. Overall its one of the better books I've read on deception and how to detect it.
Emily
In theory, I enjoyed this book. It started by setting out very clear things to look for and observe to determine if you're being lied to. These were practical and interesting. Then the book goes into all of these confrontational ways to catch people in lies. My main problem with this is that as the asker, you have the be lying since you don't know for sure that the other person is. If I were the recipient of some of these questions, I'd probably admit to things I hadn't done just to make the que...more
Allison Ball
What a fun read, this book was. I really enjoyed learning the techniques in this book and practicing them in real life. I love Lieberman's fun facts randomly thrown into this book.

Anyone who enjoys watching the television show, Lie to Me, will also enjoy this book. I had actually only became interested in the show after reading this book. Prior to this book I had no interest in the show or didn't get it. Well, I get it now and it is utterly fascinating!

I look forward to reading more from David...more
Bailey Olfert
This book has nice short chunks of information, making it very readable. There is lots of good information, but you'd need to have a better memory than I do to use it properly. In most instances, the examples were so far from the realm of my life that they were useless. What I found most useful were the reminders of ways to appear genuine - things that don't come naturally to me such as an open posture and looking people in the eye; I need to remember these things even though for me it isn't abo...more
Rajesh
This is good site.
Rosemary
This book was divided into two parts: behavioral characteristics typically displayed by a deceiver and ways to interrogate a perceived deceiver a in order to get to the truth. I found the first half fascinating and helpful. The second half, unfortunately, was a little too complicated and detailed for me. Quick easy read either way --about 2 hours or less. Really good information.
MVV
Listened to the audio abridged edition. First part on signals was ok, but second part on pressuring a person to tell you the truth seemed like outright interrogation and hostile alienation; "How to Lose Friends and Alienate People".
Anton Klink
Having read it quite a number of years ago, I remember thinking it was OK but not much else. Neither can I seem to be able to remember too many specifics about it. Obviously it wasn't awful, otherwise I would have remembered that, but neither was it good enough to burn a vivid image into my mind, so two stars is the most I can give it in hindsight.
Sheilah
Dec 07, 2009 Sheilah rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone wanting not to be lied to
Recommended to Sheilah by: a co-worker
This New York Times bestseller utilizes newly developed techniques in hypnosis and psycholinguistics to show you how to easily influence anyone to tell the truth within minutes. The book is full of examples and scenarios to help you keep from being taken advantage of and give you that extra edge in both personal and business situations.
Brian
Look at what people are saying to you and how they are saying it. Find out when you are being lied to very easily.
Dwayne
Have you been lied to before? Probably so! Well, if you are tired of the lies, especially when they surprise you, here is a book that helps you learn how to stay watchful for the typical ways people try to lie. Being prepared really can make all of the difference in the world!
Erica
I finally finished this book. It's very interesting and discusses many techniques that could prove to be useful. Some of them are obvious, but not all. I liked it and recommend it to anyone who is even remotely interested in psychology and/or human behavior.
Amanda Seats
Cärpë Diem
I was a bit disappointed given the fact that I was hoping to become a human lie detector after reading this, but I've learned a few tricks, like when to catch someone manipulating the truth, and I really liked the eye rolling technique
Elizabeth
Was an interesting read, but quite a lot of things to try to keep in mind to actually put into practice. Would have to read again and use as reference for all the information and techniques to sink in...
Chris
The book provides clear-cut techniques on how to spot a liar. Although some techniques given are common knowledge, the author provides other straightforward stratagems which can be very useful.
Geir
A collection of techniques of manipulation. I found it a very mixed bag, with some obvious, some useful, some far-fetched and some downright nasty. Still, doesn't hurt to be aware of these things.
Amarta Adi
ingin belajar ilmu mendeteksi kebohongan? bacalah buku ini (tapi jangan membelinya). bahasanya rumit, berbelit- belit dan serba kasuistis. mendeteksi kebohongan tidak semudah yang ditawarkan ya?
Rashidul K
Other than some parts, found the book pretty detailed on how to deal with a liar. Lots of examples throughout. Was getting bored at one point. Some images/photos could have spiced it up lil bit.
  • Reading People: How to Understand People and Predict Their Behavior- -Anytime, Anyplace
  • How to Read a Person Like a Book
  • The Science of Influence: How to Get Anyone to Say Yes in 8 Minutes or Less!
  • You Can Have an Amazing Memory: Learn Life-Changing Techniques and Tips from the Memory Maestro
  • The Art of Speed Reading People: How to Size People Up and Speak Their Language
  • Show Me How: 500 Things You Should Know Instructions for Life From the Everyday to the Exotic
  • Liespotting: Proven Techniques to Detect Deception
  • How to Make Anyone Fall in Love with You
  • Unmasking the Face: A Guide to Recognizing Emotions from Facial Clues
  • Magic Eye 1: A New Way of Looking at the World (Magic Eye, #1)
  • Dom Scripting: Web Design with JavaScript and the Document Object Model
  • How to Make People Like You in 90 Seconds or Less
  • How to Win Every Argument: The Use and Abuse of Logic
  • The CSS Anthology
  • In Sheep's Clothing: Understanding and Dealing with Manipulative People
  • The Self-Publishing Manual : How to Write, Print, and Sell Your Own Book, 15th Ed. (Self-Publishing Manual: How to Write, Print, & Sell Your Own Book)
  • Violence: Reflections on a National Epidemic
  • Pulling Your Own Strings
David J. Lieberman, Ph.D., is an internationally recognized leader in the field of human behavior and interpersonal relationships. He is the creator of NeuroDynamic Analysis for short-term therapy.