Start by marking “Never Be Lied to Again: How to Get the Truth In 5 Minutes Or Less In Any Conversation Or Situation” as Want to Read:

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  751 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
How many times have you been manipulated or taken advantage of by someone's lies? Are you tired of being deceived, tricked, and fooled? Finally, renowned behaviorist David J. Lieberman shows you how to stop the lies and uncover the truth-- in any conversation or situation. In a simple, user-friendly format, Dr. Lieberman gives you the tools to determine, with uncanny accur ...more
Published May 15th 1998 by St. Martin's Press (first published 1998)

Breakdown
Mar 30, 2009 Breakdown rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Not anyone really
This book doesn't really give out much new information about picking up when a person is lying. It covers body language and the like, nothing really new.

My problem with the book are a couple of things; One, it doesn't talk about what to do with the information once you know if someone is lying, and that sometimes you're just better off letting people lie. Two, it asks you to lie in order to catch a person in the lie; where does it make sense to lie to catch a lie? Aren't you just as bad as the l
May 17, 2009 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GhaDeeR
Feb 18, 2011 GhaDeeR rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
من أروع الكتب التي قرأتها .. لغه بسيطه .. أمثله رائعه يمكن تطبيقها بسهوله .. يظهر لنا مدى صدق البعض من خلال الكثير من المواقف .. والتشديد على بعض الألفاظ أثناء أحاديثهم .. باختصار هذا الكتاب يعلمك كيف تستدرج الشخص الذي أمامك للإعتراف بما تريد بمنتهى الهدوء .. ربما هناك بعض الحيل التي نطبقها بعفويه وبعضها يأتي بنتيجة عكسيه لكن في النهاية يمكن اعتباره دورة تدريبيه ممتازة إذا ماتمت قراءته بشكل متأني ومدروس وتطبيقه بالشكل الصحيح .. شخصياً أعتقد أن هذا الكتاب يحتاج لأكثر من قراءة
Sabrina Singer
Aug 21, 2011 Sabrina Singer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
amazing book! great stuff to be aware of its something i like to read over and over again to to refresh my mind. the doctor who wrote this really knows his stuff and makes it simple for all to understand
Huma Rashid
Now I know how to respond to questions when I'm lying to someone. :D
Melissa
I won't quite call this quackery, but I'm pretty dubious as to the actual uses of this book. I even tried out some of the methods in here and even though I knew the people I asked weren't going to lie to me, according to this book, they were. But I'll get into that later.

Never Be Lied To Again goes through all the different ways of lying, how to determine if someone is lying, how to get to them to tell the truth, and other strategies you could ever want to know. It helps determine body language,
Allison Ball
Apr 25, 2014 Allison Ball rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fun read, this book was. I really enjoyed learning the techniques in this book and practicing them in real life. I love Lieberman's fun facts randomly thrown into this book.

Anyone who enjoys watching the television show, Lie to Me, will also enjoy this book. I had actually only became interested in the show after reading this book. Prior to this book I had no interest in the show or didn't get it. Well, I get it now and it is utterly fascinating!

I look forward to reading more from David
Rob
Jan 26, 2016 Rob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this along with a "softer" approach to negotiating (getting to yes) and think this is much more applicable in a scenario where the relationship is FAR less important than getting to the facts - e.g. between employer/employee, teacher/student, police officer/accused.

The structure of the book and its recommendations is extremely aggressive. "Attack plans" and "Silver Bullets" - a win at all costs way to ensure that you can uncover the truth, even if that means totally blowing up your exist
Robert L.
Mar 24, 2010 Robert L. is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This book talks about non-verbal and verbal language. This book is better than many books in this category. It doesn't just talk about what a behavior means, which oftentimes is debatable. It explains why the behavior can be interpreted a certain way given natural human inclinations. That allowed me to understand why a given interpretation has behavioral validity. It also suggests eliciting additional data to determine if original assessment of veracity is correct.
Konn Lavery
Jan 19, 2015 Konn Lavery rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: people
Great introduction to body language and how to identify when people aren't being fully honest. I found a lot of it was basic knowledge if you have been reading similar/more in depth books however it covers a lot of foundations that I would recommend to anyone new to studying human interaction.
Ahmed AlThobaiti
Because I am not a master of deception and lies, I couldn't spot subtel sign of lies. This book would be a great addition to such naive person. But for expert, it sound too basic. It did change my perspective, the way I look into things. It so rewarding when you catch someone with his lie :)
Karan Goel
This book was a quick short to the point read. I like the way everything is laid out in sections with sensible bullets. As for the content itself, I don't think most of it is practical. Take for example the clues that someone is lying - the author has listed 48 of those and I don't think anyone can I remember them all, much less use them. It would have been useful if he also listed when to use which clues in what combination.

The probing techniques mentioned in the book are interesting and intrig
Jennifer Varnadore
This book is alright as a beginner book into the study of deception, however, much of the information that lies within is fairly common knowledge otherwise. I have studied deduction, micro expressions, and other types of body and deception tells to a fairly good extent. This book glanced over the same information I'd learned just by watching a few crime dramas.
Mary Karpel-Jergic
Some interesting information about detecting lies but I think you'd need to be an official investigator to be able to apply some of the techniques. I really don't think it is possible to detect lies very easily but this book sells the notion that you can.
Chris Fanning
This has good content and the author, David Lieberman, makes an attempt to abandon the jargon of psychology but often is too vague to hold the reader. It is nicely segmented in small chunks for the reader. Although the brevity was nice, often I found Lieberman's style to become lost in itself where abbreviations became confusing and references make reading burdensome. In addition, some conclusions were hastened and lacked the finality of a deductively reasoned point.

Despite these criticism, the
Jeff Brateman
May 14, 2016 Jeff Brateman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was great. I listened to the audiobook, and need to listen to it again someday. These techniques are useful for everyone, but especially businessmen and politicians. Good luck to everyone out there in this lying world.
Derrick
I saw this at the library as a part of my interviewing preparation. I get nervous very easily, and I think sometimes just being nervous is enough to make people think I am lying. I'm trying to correct that with this tape, to try to be relaxed enough that when I'm being honest I look honest.

I relearned some things about making eye contact, keeping an open posture, make physical contact. One thing I learned is that when trying to remember something you look to your opposite hand side and up. I do
L
Aug 03, 2015 L rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure if everything is that applicable. But there are some interesting psychology here. Main point, understand the intentions behind every reaction and be perceptive enough to see it.
Jennifer Taylor
Jan 23, 2016 Jennifer Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brings back a lot of tactics I learned in college and I also learned a few new ones. Must read for every honest person out there to easily get at the truth in every situation.
Cody Sexton
Jan 06, 2014 Cody Sexton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The experience of reading this book is very much like being thrown a life vest. What I mean by this of course is that among the varying techniques outlined in this book for detecting deception the techniques for detecting bullshit were, to me, the most relevant, considering the fact that we're practically drowning in it, hence the life vest reference. Overall its one of the better books I've read on deception and how to detect it.
Matt Clem
Another good book about how to phrase questions to make it easy to gain confessions. Similar to "We Get Confessions."
Emily
Mar 08, 2013 Emily rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In theory, I enjoyed this book. It started by setting out very clear things to look for and observe to determine if you're being lied to. These were practical and interesting. Then the book goes into all of these confrontational ways to catch people in lies. My main problem with this is that as the asker, you have the be lying since you don't know for sure that the other person is. If I were the recipient of some of these questions, I'd probably admit to things I hadn't done just to make the que ...more
Carolyn
Apr 27, 2016 Carolyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing. Very good information!
Bailey Olfert
This book has nice short chunks of information, making it very readable. There is lots of good information, but you'd need to have a better memory than I do to use it properly. In most instances, the examples were so far from the realm of my life that they were useless. What I found most useful were the reminders of ways to appear genuine - things that don't come naturally to me such as an open posture and looking people in the eye; I need to remember these things even though for me it isn't abo ...more
Jade
May 08, 2015 Jade rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book by my dad, so i felt obligated to read it haha. It turns out that this book is actually really great. I found myself eagerly reading it and highlighting bits so I can easily go back and refresh my memory. It is straighforward and easy to understand. After reading a few chapters I started to be able to detect if someone i was speaking to was lying. If you want to be able to detect deceit, from small lies to huge one, this is the book to read!
Rajesh
This is good site.
Yves
Apr 06, 2015 Yves rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I set this book aside for a while because it was "a little light". My hobby is playing at the World Poker Tour level a game where lying is just part of the game. Some good parts though and every technique has a use. I know I have used the material in this book a few times in context of a poker game with an accurate result, though the poker players detected were amateurs and pretty transparent themselves.
Rosemary
Nov 18, 2013 Rosemary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was divided into two parts: behavioral characteristics typically displayed by a deceiver and ways to interrogate a perceived deceiver a in order to get to the truth. I found the first half fascinating and helpful. The second half, unfortunately, was a little too complicated and detailed for me. Quick easy read either way --about 2 hours or less. Really good information.
MVV
Apr 08, 2014 MVV rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
Listened to the audio abridged edition. First part on signals was ok, but second part on pressuring a person to tell you the truth seemed like outright interrogation and hostile alienation; "How to Lose Friends and Alienate People".
Anton Klink
Having read it quite a number of years ago, I remember thinking it was OK but not much else. Neither can I seem to be able to remember too many specifics about it. Obviously it wasn't awful, otherwise I would have remembered that, but neither was it good enough to burn a vivid image into my mind, so two stars is the most I can give it in hindsight.
  • Adult Children of Abusive Parents
  • The Psychology of Persuasion: How to Persuade Others to Your Way of Thinking
  • Details Men's Style Manual: The Ultimate Guide for Making Your Clothes Work for You
  • Show Me How
  • An Adult Child's Guide to What's Normal
  • Reading People: How to Understand People and Predict Their Behavior- -Anytime, Anyplace
  • Miracle Math: How to Develop a Calculator in Your Head
  • Squawk!: How to Stop Making Noise and Start Getting Results
  • When Friendship Hurts: How to Deal with Friends Who Betray, Abandon, or Wound You
  • Emotional Blackmail: When the People in Your Life Use Fear, Obligation, and Guilt to Manipulate You
  • The Art of Speed Reading People: How to Size People Up and Speak Their Language
  • Hypnosis for Beginners: Reach New Levels of Awareness & Achievement
  • Magic Eye 1: A New Way of Looking at the World (Magic Eye, #1)
  • Telling Lies: Clues to Deceit in the Marketplace, Politics, and Marriage
  • How to Read a Person Like a Book
  • Children of the Self-Absorbed: A Grown-Up's Guide to Getting over Narcissistic Parents
  • Who am I?: 16 Basic Desires that Motivate Our Actions Define Our Personalities
  • 100 Things You're Not Supposed to Know: Secrets, Conspiracies, Cover Ups, and Absurdities
David J. Lieberman, Ph.D., is an internationally recognized leader in the field of human behavior and interpersonal relationships. He is the creator of NeuroDynamic Analysis for short-term therapy.