Start by marking “The Shape of the Beast: Conversations with Arundhati Roy” as Want to Read:
The Shape of the Beast: Conversations with Arundhati Roy

The Shape of the Beast: Conversations with Arundhati Roy

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  192 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The Shape of the Beast is our world laid bare, with great courage, passion and eloquence, by a mind that has engaged unhesitatingly with its changing realities, often anticipating the way things have moved in the last decade.

In the 14 interviews collected here, conducted between January 2001 and March 2008, Arundhati Roy examines the nature of state and corporate power as
Published January 4th 2008 by Viking Penguin

To ask other readers questions about The Shape of the Beast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shape of the Beast

Palash Bansal
This book is a collection of interviews of Arundhati Roy. Even though I have watched some of her interviews and talks, the book deeply moved and to a large extent convinced me of her views, which are often criticized as anti-modern, old-school and tried-tested-failed societal ideology.
Her thoughts kept resonating in my mind and at times made me wonder how mean, people can possibly be. Her essays on terrorist attacks, politics and Indo-US nuclear deal etc will be the next on my to-read list.
I was
Dennis Dason
This book is collection of interviews with Arundhati Roy published on various Indian and International Magazines & newspapers between1998 (the year she won Booker's Prize) and 2008. It provides some further insights on her stand on various political issues, her thoughts while she was writing "The God of Small things", her personal life and much more. In the last issue of Ananda Vikatan, there was an interview of Roy in which in the preface, the magazine states that conversing with Roy was li ...more
Jodi
2013-01-03 -- interesting and thought-provoking, and I learned a little more about India (perhaps from a subjective author but nonetheless she spoke about things I didn't know about). I liked her comments about how being a writer influences her activism. She talks about wanting to use people's stories to highlight the effects of certain events and raise people's consciousnesses. Her style of speech does make it easier to listen to her explanations. I was struck mostly by this quote, "Some of the ...more
Theshigen Navalingam
An insight into the mind of 1998 Booker price winner, Arundhati Roy. The book offers a look into her activism in India. Pretty good primer on the whats what on the dam front. I dont quite fall in line with her potrayal of Americans... the ineffective as just as guilty as the terorist(only to a certain point, it does feel like she goes overboard). She is, despite this, a woman with great courage and tenacity.

The final chapter is especially speial as she talks about her book, her life and how it h
Nanda Rajanala
Arundhati Roy made a very interesting and meaningful transition from being a world famous writer of an award winning book (The God of Small Things) to a very vociferous defender of democratic rights and human life in several of her future books and speeches. She has continually exposed the evil designs of the American Empire, the India Empire and every other institution or Country that she can safely handle without being violently targeted. This has attracted the attention of several secessionis ...more
Sameen Mohsin
This is the book that made her my favorite female activist, gives you such an insight on how humanity is being commercialized and exploited according to the whims and desires of a few.
A must read, especially for people interested in South Asian politics.
Stantontas
Within the first 40 pages there were 4 or 5 deadly effective quotes. Made me see vaguely familiar events in crystal clear focus. Great writing and great political mind.
Ashish
The language is as beautiful and elocutionary as it can get, but the message is NOT. It's totally anti-establishment and it keeps asking it readers to revolt against the society at large and in a way is a proponent of anarchy. It's a collection of interviews but the central message remains, 'go back to stone age, leave behind nuclear age'.
It disappoints me as how people like her incite the common villagers rather than becoming a mediator between the aggressor and the aggrieved.
Bhavesh Mehta
I picked this one because I was searching was something that was different from regular STUFF, It is a good interview documentary book that is highly enlightening as well as interesting. Although I don't agree with all the views of Arundhati Roy, yet some of her words are thought provoking. A fine read.
Irfan
Mar 31, 2010 Irfan added it
wow! wat a buk...this buk taught me a vy gud learned lesson i.e india only pretends to be a democracy, in real its a totalitarian state...
Harminder Kailey
I had been sleeping on this book, for long long time.Now that I have read it, my conscience is a bit more clear.
Isha
Interesting insight into the injustices perpetrated by the world's 'democratic' governments and big multinationals.
Umesh Kesavan
A peek into the mind of the Indian Chomsky.
Amit
Jan 13, 2009 Amit is currently reading it
Words matter more than content.....
Alis Rhinne
Alis Rhinne marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Sudheer Madhava
Sudheer Madhava is currently reading it
May 21, 2015
Anya
Anya is currently reading it
May 17, 2015
Abilash
Abilash is currently reading it
May 13, 2015
Casey
Casey marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Khalid Bashir
Khalid Bashir marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Neha
Neha marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
  • Living My Life, Vol. 1
  • Dancing at the Edge of the World: Thoughts on Words, Women, Places
  • Woman, Native, Other: Writing Postcoloniality and Feminism
  • Seeing Like a Feminist
Arundhati Roy is an Indian writer who writes in English and an activist who focuses on issues related to social justice and economic inequality. She won the Booker Prize in 1997 for her novel, The God of Small Things, and has also written two screenplays and several collections of essays.

For her work as an activist she received the Cultural Freedom Prize awarded by the Lannan Foundation in 2002.

More about Arundhati Roy...
The God of Small Things An Ordinary Person's Guide to Empire The Algebra Of Infinite Justice Power Politics War Talk