The World's First Love: Mary, Mother of God

The World's First Love: Mary, Mother of God

4.53 of 5 stars 4.53  ·  rating details  ·  214 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Fulton J. Sheen tells the story of Mary and examines Marian beliefs ranging from the Immaculate Conception to the miracle of Fatima, from the angel's announcement that Mary was to be the mother of Jesus to the time of her assumption into heaven.
Published September 1st 1996 by Ignatius Press (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about The World's First Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World's First Love

Catechism of the Catholic Church by The Catholic ChurchConfessions by Augustine of HippoOrthodoxy by G.K. ChestertonThe Imitation of Christ by Thomas à KempisMere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
Books that explain the Catholic faith
31st out of 137 books — 32 voters
Advent Meditations with Fulton J. Sheen by Fulton J. SheenTreasure in Clay by Fulton J. SheenLife of Christ by Fulton J. SheenFrom the Angel's Blackboard by Fulton J. SheenThe World's First Love by Fulton J. Sheen
Fulton J Sheen
5th out of 24 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Michele
turned it back in to the church I borrowed it from. I liked the story about how the city of Fatima was named after a Muslim princess that married a Catholic. I also liked his insights into the mysteries of the Rosary. Moral of the story: Our Lady is everything the world needs: fullness of grace & love - fullness of God's Love...having all the virtues that women should strive for and men should want.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with you
Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the...more
Anne
This is the first Sheen book I ever read. This is what made me fall in love with Fulton Sheen. Now I want to name one of my kids Fulton, but Peter won't go for it.
Richard Grebenc
Read as a devotional to Our Lady while also reading Kempis's "Imitation of Christ," I came away enriched due to Bishop Sheen's extraordinary ability to weave theology, philosophy, history, and spirituality in such an effortless manner. In Part I: "The Woman the World Loves," Sheen has us walk with him through all the significant events of Mary's life, contemplating her reactions and the significance of them for all time and for each of us personally. The second part, "The World the Woman Loves,"...more
Jenn
Jan 29, 2014 Jenn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jenn by: Fr. John
It took me a little while to get into this book, but I found in Chapter 12 a section on the nature of men and women that was fascinating as well as insightful. I would read this book just for this section, but there's more!

This book wins just for these sentences: "Which stands up better in a crisis - man or woman? The best way to arrive at a conclusion is to go to the greatest crisis the world ever faced, namely, the Crucifixion of Our Divine Lord. When we come to this great drama of Calvary, th...more
Jim Gallen
“The World’s First Love” is a collection of Archbishop Fulton Sheen’s writings on the Blessed Virgin Mary. In this book, as on his television programs, the Archbishop Sheen weaves together scripture, theology and human experience with his own unique insights. His chapters deal with Love, that begins as a dream, the relationship of love and freedom , the origins of belief in the virgin birth, Mary as compared to all mothers, the marriage of Mary and Joseph, the role of the Marriage Feast at Cana...more
Even though I grew up in the Catholic Church, I was never raised to have a strong Marian devotion and indeed was hesitent to develop one based on a slew of misconceptions. Fulton Sheen does an incredible job of explaining why Mary, Mother of God, is to be the Mother of us all. He discredits heresies regarding her perpetual virginity, immaculate conception, and assumption. He shows why a lesser love for Our Lady corresponds with a lesser love for Our Lord. By using the Biblical references we know...more
Lindsay Wilcox
I've loved all of the episodes of Life Is Worth Living I've seen, so I expected more of the same awesomeness from this book. I was not disappointed. Archbishop Sheen shares a series of masterful reflections on the Blessed Virgin Mary and her role in Catholic theology and Catholic life and worldview. He makes compelling arguments for the Virgin Birth being a secret until after the Resurrection and for St. Joseph's being a young man. The level is pretty highly academic, but if you chew on it, you...more
Jane Francis
My favorite Marian book so far. Need something simple and down-to-earth, yet enlightining and theologically rich? Something to kindle, rekindle, or enrich your personal Marian devotion? Just want to know why Catholics love Mary so much, and why you should?
If you will read only one book about Mary,choose this one!

Great book for anyone, but I'd recommend this one especially for:

*Those in RCIA, or interested in Catholicism
*Teens and young adults, especially those preparing for Confirmation or othe...more
Dionne
I am a bit torn on this one. I did not fully agree with a tiny bit of comment regarding another faith in one of the chapters, but it's still an excellent piece of work, re-acquainting me to Our Lady, and for which fact I am entirely grateful.

Furthermore, Archbishop Sheen is an intelligent writer and one hardly comes across logical fallacies in his arguments that when one actually does, it becomes a little difficult to let it go. At one point, and only one, I felt that he - intelligently and smo...more
Sunni
Fulton Sheen is an excellent writer. He has the ability to put beautifully into words mysteries that are naturally difficult to verbally pin down. His insights helped me to appreciate and understand more completely the significance of Our Blessed Mother.
Ian
This is one of the greatest works on Mary that exists. Fulton Sheen clearly brings to light many aspects of Our Lady and what it means to Christians. It is a good introduction to anyone who needs to know anything about Marian devotion.
Fr. Ryan Humphries
Jun 21, 2012 Fr. Ryan Humphries rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All Catholics, especially those struggling intellectually with the BVM.
Sheen brings his mastery of language and devotion to Our Lady. It's a great book and a necessary one for Catholics who have a hard time understanding why Mary is so important (and really necessary) for the Catholic Faith.
Chad
I love the works of Fulton Sheen, but this one is a little light on research and heavy on assumption and opinion. Not the best book by Sheen and not the best book on Mary, but still worth a read.
Lauren
Although it did not captivate me as well as Life of Christ, it was still a marvelous book about Our Lady and well written by Bishop Sheen. I am glad to own a copy to return to it again and again.
Leigha Doerrer
Mar 16, 2008 Leigha Doerrer marked it as to-read
Highly recommended by my priest to me a few months ago, Lent would have been a perfect time to read this one, but it continues to sit on my nightstand. He says it is great though.
Ana Hlucny
A great man's letter to the world about the Woman he loves. What a beautiful book! I have already recommended it to several people and look forward to reading it again.
Nanci
As only Archbishop Sheen could do, this book ran me through the gauntlet of emotions, all while keeping my mind busy with new thoughts on The Blessed Mother.
Emily
A beautiful explanation and exposition of Marian belief and doctrine.
Mark Kuberski
Great first half, second half was interesting, but I skimmed it, good work
TheRose
As always, Bishop Sheen takes my breath away with his eloquence.
Jon
Dec 18, 2007 Jon rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who wants a good book on Mary, the Mother of God.
A great read...I think I want to pick it up a second time!
Jeanie Mccarthy Pityinger
I love Fulton Sheen and have been blessed MANY times to see his program on EWTN and have heard his messages on CD - this book was truly a blessing. Seeing/reading of his devotion to our Blessed Mother was beautiful and only encouraged mine. Truly a wonderful book
K L
Excellent book about our Blessed Mother. She was chosen as are we all. She responded differently than most of us and it is very clear why she is the Mother of God. Self sacrifice and pure love overcome all obstacles.
Ange
Incredible reflection on the Mother of God and how she can help us. I think I highlighted a good 85% of this book. So much wisdom, yet so easy to understand. Fulton Sheen at his best. Full of love and devotion.
Steve
Great read. This book is focused on Mary, but has strong undercurrents of the role of women in all aspects of life. This should be read by all who want to draw closer to Mary and who want to understand (at least in beginning) the unique feminine genius of Woman.
Zuzu Madanat
Beautiful book about Our Lady that I had the privilege of writing a talk about. I have not picked up a book of Blessed Fulton Sheen's that I have not loved. He had a special God given gift with words.
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
  • Letters to a Young Catholic
  • True Devotion to Mary
  • Lord, Have Mercy: The Healing Power of Confession
  • The Spirit of the Liturgy
  • Love and Responsibility
  • The Fulfillment of All Desire: A Guidebook for the Journey to God Based on the Wisdom of the Saints
  • Fire within: Teresa of Avila, John of the Cross and the Gospel - On Prayer
  • I Believe in Love: A Personal Retreat Based on the Teaching of St. Therese of Lisieux
  • The Shadow of His Wings
  • Mother Angelica: The Remarkable Story of a Nun, Her Nerve, and a Network of Miracles
  • The Privilege of Being a Woman
  • He Leadeth Me
  • Theology for Beginners
Fulton John Sheen, born Peter John Sheen (May 8, 1895 – December 9, 1979) was an American archbishop of the Roman Catholic Church known for his preaching and especially his work on television and radio. His cause for canonization for sainthood was officially opened in 2002, and so he is now referred to as a "Servant of God".
More about Fulton J. Sheen...
Life of Christ Three to Get Married Treasure in Clay: The Autobiography of Fulton J. Sheen Life Is Worth Living Peace of Soul: Timeless Wisdom on Finding Serenity and Joy by the Century's Most Acclaimed Catholic Bishop

“The mark of man is initiative, but the mark of woman is cooperation. Man talks about freedom; woman about sympathy, love, sacrifice. Man cooperates with nature; woman cooperates with God. Man was called to till the earth, to "rule over the earth"; woman to be the bearer of a life that comes from God.” 25 likes