Start by marking “Somewhere Between Life and Death (Erin Bennett, #1)” as Want to Read:
Somewhere Between Life and Death (Erin Bennett, #1)

Somewhere Between Life and Death (Erin Bennett #1)

The celebration isn't supposed to end in tragedy. The night of their high-school drama group's cast party starts out as fun for sisters Amy and Erin.
Their lives come crashing down when Amy takes the car to get more food and has a horrible accident. Erin and her family pray for Amy to awaken from her coma. But as the monitor bleeps and the respirator hisses, Amy lies somewh
Mass Market Paperback, 160 pages
Published October 27th 2010 by Laurel Leaf (first published December 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Somewhere Between Life and Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Somewhere Between Life and Death

Kailia
Why was I surprised when this story turned out to have such a sad topic. The book begins off really nice and light. I can tell that Erin is bugged by her sister at times but she loves Amy. Erin can't help but feel some of the things she feels but when everything ends in tragedy, Erin is heartbroken.

For the longest time, she blames her sister's death on herself. If only she'd done this or if only she'd done that. This book is not for the faint of heart because there's a lot of gory and sadness a
Keshia Burchette
Jan 17, 2017 Keshia Burchette rated it it was amazing
I have always loved Lurlene McDaniel books and now as an adult I still love them!
Jasmine
Nov 16, 2007 Jasmine rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
Somewhere between life and death by Lurlene McDaniel is a wonderful book about two sisters. Erin, the older sister, and Amy, Erin’s little sister. They are sisters, but Erin envies her sister. She wanted her sister’s life. To have Amy have to cover for her one time, or to have Amy get in trouble for something she did. But most of all she hated that her sister had a boyfriend in which she wanted. Erin liked her sister’s boyfriend a lot, but knew she could never have him. He loved Amy way too much ...more
Toughlove
Nov 18, 2007 Toughlove rated it really liked it
Somewhere between life and death by Lurlene McDaniel, is a great and interesting book. It is about a girl named Erin, and her little sister named Amy. Amy is not like the Erin, she is messy, strange, and doesn’t care what people think about her. On the day of Erin’s dance recital, they had an after party. When they ran out of sodas, Erin was supposed to go get some more drinks, but Amy convinced her to let her go instead. Instead of coming back, Amy ran into a pole. Now she is in a comma, and Er ...more
Brittney Hurley
May 04, 2014 Brittney Hurley rated it it was amazing
this book was another quick read, I'm the beginning two sisters Amy and Erin was arguing about how Amy was never on time for anything. the two sisters was so different. Erin was the responsible child, who wanted to peruse a professional career as a dancer, on the other hand her younger sister Amy was the class clown. literally, Amy was the one who took it one day at a time. she was always up to help someone. but that all changed when Amy talked Erin into letting her drive Erin's car to get more ...more
Saundra
Nov 24, 2010 Saundra rated it liked it
Somewhere Between Life and Death Death/Sisters/Family
Rating: 2.5/5 stars
I like to call this book "the Babysitter's Club book of Dying Teenagers". The focus of the novel is not so much character development or plot but how the death of a family member. Two sisters, Amy and Erin, are at a dance recital one night when Amy, who has just gotten her license, goes out for more sodas. She gets in a car accident and ends up in a coma in intensive care. Now Erin must deal with the tragedy and the feelin
Emily Townsley
Dec 02, 2009 Emily Townsley rated it it was ok
Shelves: english-420
Tragedy/Fiction/Cybling rivalry

This book is about two sisters who seem like complete opposites. Amy is the younger obnoxious sister with the cute boyfriend and all the attention. Her sister is a talented dancer, yet lacks Amy's social appeal. In a tragic car accident Amy is brain damaged and her sister has to deal with the pain and grief of Amy's condition.

This book wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The story kept me reading and the plot was ok. While it is a little outdated, McDaniel's me
Courtney Seymore
Oct 26, 2015 Courtney Seymore rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book by Lurlene McDaniel. I have been currently reading a lot of books by this author and i've loved them all. Just like most of her novels, this book is filled with sadness and anger. Although this is a good book, it doesn't contain character development or plot but it does inflict a lot of mood. I experienced mostly sadness throughout most of the book. Also, it contained a very powerful story, filled with excitement. I would most certainly recommend this to everyone, espe ...more
Lexi W
Dec 17, 2009 Lexi W rated it really liked it
i gave this book four stars because it really demonstrated a life lesson. I liked it because it was really about how you should love and care about your family. It was about how her sister got into a car accident and went into severe coma. She ended up not living but her family stuck together and went through it. I liked this book because it jerked with your emotions and you felt like you were right there. One moment you could be happy and the next you could be crying. that is why i gave this bo ...more
Madison
Jul 25, 2009 Madison rated it it was amazing
Lurlene Mcdaniel is my second favorite author (#1:Scott Westerfeld) She never fails to catch you attention. I cry in every single one of her books because thay are all about some life-theatening disease. This one was though one girl's point of view as her sister gets in a terrible accident and is dying. The books always help me to see what a dangerous place the world is. But, it also teaches you to be strong. You are put through these trials for the better.
Kristin
May 24, 2007 Kristin rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Lurlene Mcdaniel's books
The book was sad and I even teared up a little bit at the end. Lurlene Mcdaniel's books always get to me. lol.I've had the book for awhile and decided to get it out of the way. The book was pretty predictable & too easy of a read.
My favorite Lurlene Mcdaniel books are "Don't Die My Love" and "I'll Be Seeing You" THEY ARE AMAZING!! I definetly reccomend those 2 books!
Gisbelle
It wasn't a surprise that I cried reading this book. Well, I've always cried reading any of her books. However, this book was a bit bland at times. I felt the sister love and the emotional roller coaster, but somehow, I didn't feel the connection with the characters like I've usually experienced when reading her other books.
Valencia
Sep 30, 2010 Valencia rated it it was amazing
I thought that this book was the best! It was about 1 or 2 years ago that I've read this, and it was amazing. I had just re-read it about a month or two ago. This book had honestly touched my heart because the fact that Amy died and Erin blamed herself with it, just made me break down and cry. I would definitely reccomend this book to anyone.
Jacquelyn
Jul 27, 2013 Jacquelyn rated it liked it
I read this book right after I finished Breathless by Lurlene McDaniel. I liked Breathless a whole lot more. I still liked this book though. Just boring at times. I loved Amy's writing at the end! It was amazing! I also liked the ending!
Jessica
May 28, 2015 Jessica rated it it was amazing
So sad. I was just introduced to these characters and barely got to know them and then something so tragic has to happen? I was in denial. Like Erin was. How can life change so quickly and so drastically?

I want Amy back and for them to go on fun, sisterly adventures! That would make a good book too you know.
Erin Brawner
Somewhere Between Life and Death is about two sisters and how one night can change everything. Due to a car accident, Amy ended up in a coma and on life support. The family has to decide if they will donate her organs to save other lives. This book could help students cope with accidents and deaths.
TEENS Holmes County
Jul 28, 2010 TEENS Holmes County rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Review by Chantrelle K.

Erin realizes how much she loves her little sister, Amy, when Amy has a care accident and is comatose. Erin learns how to deal with the pain.

I thought it was interesting how each person deals with the sorrow. I liked this book because Erin is a likable character and relate-able.
Hazel McHaffie
Mar 22, 2012 Hazel McHaffie rated it it was ok
This one came into my radar because of its subject matter - organ donation. It's teen fiction written in 1991, telling the story of two sisters, family tensions and a tragic accident. It usefully alerts youngsters to the importance of organ donation, and made me realise all over again the importance of balancing an agenda with a story line.
Jaclyn Goss
Nov 16, 2008 Jaclyn Goss rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen-fiction
Read this book when I was ten or eleven. I loved all of her books, and as a result thought I was sick with something or another most of the time :). this book was my notebook. I was miserable about the seperation between the sisters! A very moving book, about growing up a bit to fast, and loosing someone you'd thought be at your side forever.
Mandi Murphy
Feb 28, 2012 Mandi Murphy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
McDaniel's books tend to be a bit dramatic and melancholy. That said, I keep reading them. And I really liked this one. It made me cry, and of course it is the first in a series which means that I have to read the others!
Liz Marnell
Jun 22, 2009 Liz Marnell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youth-fiction
This book is one of those books that touched me and stayed with me to this day. It also helped me make a decision concerning Organ Donation. Needless to say this book was of particular importance to me as a adolescents. And has had long reaching effects into my adult life. Wonderful story.
Fatima
Apr 26, 2012 Fatima rated it really liked it
This was a really, good book. I wasn't expecting this, but the author got me attached to the characters. When I finished reading, I was in a bad mood, because I was thinking about how much of a (view spoiler)
Claudia Cook
I read this book when I was about in sixth or seventh grade. I borrowed it from my English teacher and wow was I surprised at how the author went about this topic. Sadly I don't own a copy (ebook or other wise) but I'm trying to find it.
Staci
Oct 24, 2010 Staci rated it it was amazing
I thought that this was a wonderful book. The sisters didn't really care about each other. But after the tragedy they really became close! If you haven't read this book I don't want to ruin the ending but i completely recommend it! READ this book!!
Angel Cruz
Nov 25, 2012 Angel Cruz rated it it was amazing
this was the first book of her's that i read and i loved it i started reading all the books they had of her in my school library.
Melissa
I read a few of her books when I was a teen, but can't remember which ones (and she has so many!) Each one of them has made me all choked up and this one was no exception.
Sarah Rochelle
Jul 23, 2012 Sarah Rochelle rated it really liked it
This was one of the first books I read as a teen. I read it years ago. I highly recommend it if you're looking for a good laugh and a good cry. :]
Clare
Nov 16, 2008 Clare rated it really liked it
Pretty good, except I can't remember what it's about. It's because I've read so many of Lurlene's books. They're all so redundant.
Caroline
Aug 07, 2008 Caroline rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fanso f the author
In a tragic accident, Amy learns about how much her sister meant to her and how much it hurts when someone you love dies.
Sydney Erickson
Jul 30, 2014 Sydney Erickson rated it it was amazing
Captivating novel, gut-wrenching. A novel that seems so far fetched, but also hits home on a topic tragedy that could take place anytime for anyone. An absolutely moving novel
  • Get a Life (Clearwater Crossing, #1)
  • Nobody's There
  • The Mammoth Book of 20th Century Ghost Stories
  • The Way to Yesterday
  • Hidden Passions: Secrets from the Diaries of Tabitha Lenox
  • Silver Days (Journey to America, #2)
  • Coach Carter
  • Horsemen of Terror: The Unseen Judgment (Left Behind: The Kids, #23)
  • With You and Without You
  • Battlecry Forever! (Thoroughbred: Ashleigh's Collection)
  • Taking Terri Mueller
  • The Random House Book of Ghost Stories
  • I Do! (Diary of a Teenage: Caitlin, #5)
  • Jeff Foxworthy's Redneck Dictionary: Words You Thought You Knew the Meaning Of
  • In Too Deep (Fear Street Seniors, #2)
  • Stay: The True Story of Ten Dogs
  • St. Dale (St. Dale, #1)
Lurlene McDaniel (born c. 1948) is an author who has written over 50 young adult books. She is well known for writing about characters struggling with chronic and terminal illnesses, such as cancer, diabetes, and organ failure.

Other places to find her are...
More about Lurlene McDaniel...

Erin Bennett (2 books)
  • Time to Let Go (Erin Bennett, #2)

“Sisters are made by living everyday with each other and wearing each other down until the rough spots are smooth. They're made by sharing secrets you'd never tell mom, and out of doing things for each other just because you feel like it, not because you have to. I guess you could say sisters are 'grown,' not manufactured, in a very special place called a family.” 25 likes