Start by marking “Somewhere Between Life and Death (Erin Bennett, #1)” as Want to Read:
Somewhere Between Life and Death (Erin Bennett, #1)

Somewhere Between Life and Death (Erin Bennett #1)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  891 ratings  ·  40 reviews
The celebration isn't supposed to end in tragedy. The night of their high-school drama group's cast party starts out as fun for sisters Amy and Erin.
Their lives come crashing down when Amy takes the car to get more food and has a horrible accident. Erin and her family pray for Amy to awaken from her coma. But as the monitor bleeps and the respirator hisses, Amy lies somewh
Mass Market Paperback, 160 pages
Published October 27th 2010 by Laurel Leaf (first published December 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Somewhere Between Life and Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Somewhere Between Life and Death

Don't Die, My Love by Lurlene McDanielSix Months to Live by Lurlene McDanielSo Much to Live for by Lurlene McDanielA Rose for Melinda by Lurlene McDanielAngels Watching Over Me by Lurlene McDaniel
Lurlene McDaniel Novels
16th out of 62 books — 87 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingSpeak by Laurie Halse AndersonThe Giver by Lois Lowry
Teen Novels of the 90s
26th out of 152 books — 66 voters

More lists with this book...

Why was I surprised when this story turned out to have such a sad topic. The book begins off really nice and light. I can tell that Erin is bugged by her sister at times but she loves Amy. Erin can't help but feel some of the things she feels but when everything ends in tragedy, Erin is heartbroken.

For the longest time, she blames her sister's death on herself. If only she'd done this or if only she'd done that. This book is not for the faint of heart because there's a lot of gory and sadness a
Brittney Hurley
this book was another quick read, I'm the beginning two sisters Amy and Erin was arguing about how Amy was never on time for anything. the two sisters was so different. Erin was the responsible child, who wanted to peruse a professional career as a dancer, on the other hand her younger sister Amy was the class clown. literally, Amy was the one who took it one day at a time. she was always up to help someone. but that all changed when Amy talked Erin into letting her drive Erin's car to get more ...more
Courtney Seymore
I really enjoyed this book by Lurlene McDaniel. I have been currently reading a lot of books by this author and i've loved them all. Just like most of her novels, this book is filled with sadness and anger. Although this is a good book, it doesn't contain character development or plot but it does inflict a lot of mood. I experienced mostly sadness throughout most of the book. Also, it contained a very powerful story, filled with excitement. I would most certainly recommend this to everyone, espe ...more
Somewhere Between Life and Death Death/Sisters/Family
Rating: 2.5/5 stars
I like to call this book "the Babysitter's Club book of Dying Teenagers". The focus of the novel is not so much character development or plot but how the death of a family member. Two sisters, Amy and Erin, are at a dance recital one night when Amy, who has just gotten her license, goes out for more sodas. She gets in a car accident and ends up in a coma in intensive care. Now Erin must deal with the tragedy and the feelin
Somewhere between life and death by Lurlene McDaniel, is a great and interesting book. It is about a girl named Erin, and her little sister named Amy. Amy is not like the Erin, she is messy, strange, and doesn’t care what people think about her. On the day of Erin’s dance recital, they had an after party. When they ran out of sodas, Erin was supposed to go get some more drinks, but Amy convinced her to let her go instead. Instead of coming back, Amy ran into a pole. Now she is in a comma, and Er ...more
Nov 17, 2007 Jasmine rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Somewhere between life and death by Lurlene McDaniel is a wonderful book about two sisters. Erin, the older sister, and Amy, Erin’s little sister. They are sisters, but Erin envies her sister. She wanted her sister’s life. To have Amy have to cover for her one time, or to have Amy get in trouble for something she did. But most of all she hated that her sister had a boyfriend in which she wanted. Erin liked her sister’s boyfriend a lot, but knew she could never have him. He loved Amy way too much ...more
Jessica Hall
So sad. I was just introduced to these characters and barely got to know them and then something so tragic has to happen? I was in denial. Like Erin was. How can life change so quickly and so drastically?

I want Amy back and for them to go on fun, sisterly adventures! That would make a good book too you know.
Emily Townsley
Tragedy/Fiction/Cybling rivalry

This book is about two sisters who seem like complete opposites. Amy is the younger obnoxious sister with the cute boyfriend and all the attention. Her sister is a talented dancer, yet lacks Amy's social appeal. In a tragic car accident Amy is brain damaged and her sister has to deal with the pain and grief of Amy's condition.

This book wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The story kept me reading and the plot was ok. While it is a little outdated, McDaniel's me
Claudia Cook
I read this book when I was about in sixth or seventh grade. I borrowed it from my English teacher and wow was I surprised at how the author went about this topic. Sadly I don't own a copy (ebook or other wise) but I'm trying to find it.
Sydney Erickson
Captivating novel, gut-wrenching. A novel that seems so far fetched, but also hits home on a topic tragedy that could take place anytime for anyone. An absolutely moving novel
Fanny Lundgren
I've read this more times than I can count! I remember that it always made me cry.
Lexi W
i gave this book four stars because it really demonstrated a life lesson. I liked it because it was really about how you should love and care about your family. It was about how her sister got into a car accident and went into severe coma. She ended up not living but her family stuck together and went through it. I liked this book because it jerked with your emotions and you felt like you were right there. One moment you could be happy and the next you could be crying. that is why i gave this bo ...more
Lurlene Mcdaniel is my second favorite author (#1:Scott Westerfeld) She never fails to catch you attention. I cry in every single one of her books because thay are all about some life-theatening disease. This one was though one girl's point of view as her sister gets in a terrible accident and is dying. The books always help me to see what a dangerous place the world is. But, it also teaches you to be strong. You are put through these trials for the better.
May 24, 2007 Kristin rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Lurlene Mcdaniel's books
The book was sad and I even teared up a little bit at the end. Lurlene Mcdaniel's books always get to me. lol.I've had the book for awhile and decided to get it out of the way. The book was pretty predictable & too easy of a read.
My favorite Lurlene Mcdaniel books are "Don't Die My Love" and "I'll Be Seeing You" THEY ARE AMAZING!! I definetly reccomend those 2 books!
Hazel McHaffie
This one came into my radar because of its subject matter - organ donation. It's teen fiction written in 1991, telling the story of two sisters, family tensions and a tragic accident. It usefully alerts youngsters to the importance of organ donation, and made me realise all over again the importance of balancing an agenda with a story line.
Jaclyn Goss
Read this book when I was ten or eleven. I loved all of her books, and as a result thought I was sick with something or another most of the time :). this book was my notebook. I was miserable about the seperation between the sisters! A very moving book, about growing up a bit to fast, and loosing someone you'd thought be at your side forever.
I thought that this book was the best! It was about 1 or 2 years ago that I've read this, and it was amazing. I had just re-read it about a month or two ago. This book had honestly touched my heart because the fact that Amy died and Erin blamed herself with it, just made me break down and cry. I would definitely reccomend this book to anyone.
I read this book right after I finished Breathless by Lurlene McDaniel. I liked Breathless a whole lot more. I still liked this book though. Just boring at times. I loved Amy's writing at the end! It was amazing! I also liked the ending!
It wasn't a surprise that I cried reading this book. Well, I've always cried reading any of her books. However, this book was a bit bland at times. I felt the sister love and the emotional roller coaster, but somehow, I didn't feel the connection with the characters like I've usually experienced when reading her other books.
TEENS Holmes County
Review by Chantrelle K.

Erin realizes how much she loves her little sister, Amy, when Amy has a care accident and is comatose. Erin learns how to deal with the pain.

I thought it was interesting how each person deals with the sorrow. I liked this book because Erin is a likable character and relate-able.
Erin Brawner
Somewhere Between Life and Death is about two sisters and how one night can change everything. Due to a car accident, Amy ended up in a coma and on life support. The family has to decide if they will donate her organs to save other lives. This book could help students cope with accidents and deaths.
Liz Marnell
This book is one of those books that touched me and stayed with me to this day. It also helped me make a decision concerning Organ Donation. Needless to say this book was of particular importance to me as a adolescents. And has had long reaching effects into my adult life. Wonderful story.
Alexander David
Awesome book, It was sad, I recomend all readers to read all of Lurlene's books. I liked this one !
This was a really, good book. I wasn't expecting this, but the author got me attached to the characters. When I finished reading, I was in a bad mood, because I was thinking about how much of a (view spoiler)
I thought that this was a wonderful book. The sisters didn't really care about each other. But after the tragedy they really became close! If you haven't read this book I don't want to ruin the ending but i completely recommend it! READ this book!!
Mandi Murphy
McDaniel's books tend to be a bit dramatic and melancholy. That said, I keep reading them. And I really liked this one. It made me cry, and of course it is the first in a series which means that I have to read the others!
I read a few of her books when I was a teen, but can't remember which ones (and she has so many!) Each one of them has made me all choked up and this one was no exception.
Sarah Rochelle
This was one of the first books I read as a teen. I read it years ago. I highly recommend it if you're looking for a good laugh and a good cry. :]
Pretty good, except I can't remember what it's about. It's because I've read so many of Lurlene's books. They're all so redundant.
Aug 08, 2008 Caroline rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fanso f the author
In a tragic accident, Amy learns about how much her sister meant to her and how much it hurts when someone you love dies.
  • Welcome Home, Jellybean
  • Heart & Soul (Clearwater Crossing, #3)
  • In Too Deep (Fear Street Seniors, #2)
  • Just a Summer Romance
  • Nobody's There
  • Battlecry Forever! (Thoroughbred: Ashleigh's Collection)
  • On My Own (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Caitlin, #4)
  • No Time to Die (Dark Secrets, #3)
  • Taking Terri Mueller
  • Jeff Foxworthy's Redneck Dictionary: Words You Thought You Knew the Meaning Of
  • Silver Days (Journey to America, #2)
  • Haunted Waters
  • The Way to Yesterday
  • A Playdate With Death (A Mommy-Track Mystery #3)
  • Coach Carter
  • Party Line
  • Runaway (Sweet Valley High, #21)
  • Hidden Passions: Secrets from the Diaries of Tabitha Lenox
Lurlene McDaniel (born c. 1948) is an author who has written over 50 young adult books. She is well known for writing about characters struggling with chronic and terminal illnesses, such as cancer, diabetes, and organ failure.

Other places to find her are...
More about Lurlene McDaniel...

Erin Bennett (2 books)
  • Time to Let Go (Erin Bennett, #2)

“Sisters are made by living everyday with each other and wearing each other down until the rough spots are smooth. They're made by sharing secrets you'd never tell mom, and out of doing things for each other just because you feel like it, not because you have to. I guess you could say sisters are 'grown,' not manufactured, in a very special place called a family.” 24 likes