Start by marking “Saving Jessica” as Want to Read:
Saving Jessica

Saving Jessica

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  1,066 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Jessica McMillian and Jeremy Travino are a perfect couple. But now Jessica has been diagnosed as having kidney failure. She is on dialysis three days a week and is so depressed that she's not sure she wants to live.Her one hope for a normal life is a kidney transplant, but she's an only child and her parents aren't suitable donors. Jeremy is determined to donate one of her ...more
Published April 1st 1996 by Laurel Leaf (first published 1995)

Don't Die, My Love by Lurlene McDanielSix Months to Live by Lurlene McDanielSo Much to Live for by Lurlene McDanielA Rose for Melinda by Lurlene McDanielAngels Watching Over Me by Lurlene McDaniel
Lurlene McDaniel Novels
12th out of 62 books — 87 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingSpeak by Laurie Halse AndersonThe Giver by Lois Lowry
Teen Novels of the 90s
35th out of 152 books — 66 voters

More lists with this book...

Madison ♡
This was a cute book.
NOTE: This review is being written after the second read.
Anyway, let's get on with the review!
For starters, I seriously hate this cover. I know the cover doesn't determine the story, but ugh. I hate when books have covers/titles that make you embarrassed to read them in public.
Oh, well.
There isn't much to say about this book other than it was really really cute. Jeremy is amazing, of course. Jessica is okay. All the other characters are pretty fetch.
The plot was fast-pa
During Jessica's senior year she had been diagnosed with kidney failure that was cause by a late treatment of strep. The only available option of survival is a dietary change, an extensive variety of medication, and a lifetime of dialysis. But what happens when the medication doesn't take? Jessica is becoming more ill by the day. Will anyone save Jessica, or is she doomed to fall?

This is honestly my least favourite book of Lurlene McDaniel's up to date. The emotional depth of this novel seemed n
Amy *Sparks Fly*
So far this book is super good.It's about this girl who is having kidney failure and she is 18.Her name is Jessica. Her boyfriend,Jeremy wants to save her he would rather halve himself in Jessica's place. Basically he would rather be having kidney failure instead of Jessica.He loves her so much and that is pretty much what he is proving. Jesica has to go through dialysis and is doing so well the first couple of times. Jeremy wants to come up with a solution to help her survive. It turns out that ...more
When Jessica is diagnosed as having kidney failure near the end of her senior year in high school, her boyfriend Jeremy, nearly two years younger but only a grade behind, wants to be her kidney donor. Dialysis is not going well for Jessica, her doctor says she is not a good candidate for a cadaver donor, and her parents, who had Jessica late in life, both have too many health problems to be suitable living donors. When Jeremy turns out to have compatible typing, it seems the solution is obvious. ...more
Feb 24, 2008 Jessica rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jessica by: Michelle
Shelves: advisory-07-08
Saving Jessica by Lurlene McDaniel talks about how sixteen year old, Jeremy deals with Jessica’s kidney failure after his brother, Tom’s death in a car accident. Without having any scratch from the accident, Jeremy feels like he was responsible for the incident therefore, he wants to help save Jessica’s life. Jeremy goes through extreme measures including going through a lawsuit against his parents to gaining emancipation after knowing that he is eligible to donate one of his kidney to Jessica ( ...more
This was a pretty good book in itself, but I wouldn't consider it one of my favorites of Lurlene McDaniel. It had romance, a person in danger, tension between some characters, and hope. It gave a great message, and it was sweet how Jeremy fought so much and so hard to help save Jessica.

The thing about Lurlene McDaniel's works, is that they always give you such insight about different diseases. I know from reading almost every Lurlene McDaniel book that she does her research about the topic she'
Brittany Kammerer
I'm rating 2.5 stars. I think years ago when I first started to read Lurlene McDaniel's books I loved them. I enjoyed the way she wrote, but now that I am older I am finding that the books aren't as enjoyable as they once were. I think "Saving Jessica" is my least favorite books of the many I have reader. Not only was there really no emotional build up but the characters at many points in the story were too whiny for me to handle.
I really enjoyed this book and I loved the emotional factor of this book. Lurlene really knows how to write emotional books! Although, I do wish we could see more of the events that occurred between the (view spoiler) The end seemed a bit rushed in my opinion.
Zoey Dowdell
Saving Jessica is a great book its based on a girl name Jessica who has a very bad kidney failure and for the rest of her life she would have to be on a machine what is called Dialysis. She goes to Dialysis three day a week. During her dialysis she had to watch what she ate and watch on how she drink. Jessica also date this young man name Jeremy. Jeremy new that Jessica condition would never get better,she would never get to live a normal life. So Jeremy decide that he would like to give her one ...more
This book is about two teenagers falling in love and going to great lenghts for their love. Jessica has kidney failure and isn't doing very good at all. She doesn't have much time left, she hates dialysis and it isn't working anyways. Her parents aren't a match for her, and she is along ways down on the waiting list. Her only shot of making it is her boyfriend Jeremy giving is kidney to her. But, his parents won't approve of him giving his kidney away. Will he be able to get his kidney to Jessic ...more
Paige V
I read Saving Jessica by Lurlene McDaniel. I gave this book five stars because it was a great book. It was about a girl named Jessica who is really sick in the hospital and the doctors don’t know what is wrong with her. She sits there everyday waiting for results. Finally one day the doctors figured it out. They found that her kidneys were not working properly and the only two ways she would live is if she was in dialysis her whole life of if she could find a donor. Her boy friend Jeremy offers ...more
Trish Boese
3* I enjoyed reading this simple novel about a girl who needs a kidney transplant.
Darius Christian
Definitely the BEST book I've read in a long time! I recommend it to everybody. Lurlene McDaniel is an awesome author and I can't wait to read more of her books!
Jasmine Laurel
Shows true love can conquer all
Rebecca Rolfe
Apr 06, 2013 Rebecca Rolfe rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Rebecca by: Noone
This is the 3rd time i have read this book i love all Lurlene Mcdaniels Book.... i may be 29 now and a parent but it still causes Tears in my eyes this is a WONDEFUL READ.... it is well written.... and it gives you get insight to what a person having Kidney Failure has to go thru every day to stay alive....
i thought this was one of lurlene's lower class novels, with the girl tragically with a death threat and her loving boyfriend wanting to help her--at any cost. it was so anticlimatic and too much arguing (selfish people, i might add) for my taste.
I read this book when I was a young teenager and I still remember this book, it brought tears to my eyes, just like any other Lurlene McDaniel book. I most definitely recommend this book!!
Haley R.
So far, out of all Larlene McDaniel books I've read, this is the worst one. The book moves really slow to me in the beggining but eventually speeds up.
*Has a cute ending
Ankita M.
This book was pretty dang good. I really liked the main plot. But, as my friend said, the book did go really slow. But that didn't stop me from giving it 5 stars!!!
super captain man
The titles and covers for McDaniel's books sometimes seem a little bit corny, but don't be put off by that. This is actually a really good book
very quick read, and even though I thought it ended at a stopping point, I wanted to know more about Jessica and ?(mind blank on male boyfriend name)
Another amazing Lurlene McDaniel book! I was a little disappointed with the ending because it didn't make me cry :P
May 03, 2008 Melissa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
This book is amazing and it shows what someone who really loves someone will do in order to help the person they love.
Aug 08, 2008 Caroline rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of the author
Shelves: young-adult
Jessica's boyfriend wants to give her a kidney, but his father says "no way!" A kind of boring book.
I dont remeber much about this book i just remeber it was really really good, and i liked it.
Definitely a touching story, very well written and another great book by this author.
Jul 17, 2013 Beth added it
Very good book. Couldn't put it down. Love feel good books!!
  • earthgirl
  • Katherine: Heart of Freedom (Hearts and Dreams, #1)
  • Letters From Wolfie
  • The Shape of Water
  • Listen!
  • Snap
  • Savage Sam (Old Yeller, #2)
  • Butterface
  • Brave New Girl
  • Hero-Type
  • The Deep End of Fear (Dark Secrets, #4)
  • Get a Life (Clearwater Crossing, #1)
  • wtf
  • Too Good to be True (Sweet Valley High, #11)
  • Life in the Fat Lane
  • After the Strawberry
Lurlene McDaniel (born c. 1948) is an author who has written over 50 young adult books. She is well known for writing about characters struggling with chronic and terminal illnesses, such as cancer, diabetes, and organ failure.

Other places to find her are...
More about Lurlene McDaniel...
Don't Die, My Love Angels Watching Over Me (Angels Trilogy, #1) Six Months to Live (Dawn Rochelle, #1) I'll Be Seeing You Telling Christina Goodbye