Start by marking “Saving Jessica” as Want to Read:
Saving Jessica

Saving Jessica

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  1,145 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Jessica McMillian and Jeremy Travino are a perfect couple. But now Jessica has been diagnosed as having kidney failure. She is on dialysis three days a week and is so depressed that she's not sure she wants to live.Her one hope for a normal life is a kidney transplant, but she's an only child and her parents aren't suitable donors. Jeremy is determined to donate one of her ...more
Published April 1st 1996 by Laurel Leaf (first published 1995)

Madison ♡
Mar 31, 2013 Madison ♡ rated it really liked it
This was a cute book.
NOTE: This review is being written after the second read.
Anyway, let's get on with the review!
For starters, I seriously hate this cover. I know the cover doesn't determine the story, but ugh. I hate when books have covers/titles that make you embarrassed to read them in public.
Oh, well.
There isn't much to say about this book other than it was really really cute. Jeremy is amazing, of course. Jessica is okay. All the other characters are pretty fetch.
The plot was fast-pa
Amy *Sparks Fly*
Jan 22, 2011 Amy *Sparks Fly* rated it it was amazing
So far this book is super good.It's about this girl who is having kidney failure and she is 18.Her name is Jessica. Her boyfriend,Jeremy wants to save her he would rather halve himself in Jessica's place. Basically he would rather be having kidney failure instead of Jessica.He loves her so much and that is pretty much what he is proving. Jesica has to go through dialysis and is doing so well the first couple of times. Jeremy wants to come up with a solution to help her survive. It turns out that ...more
Feb 24, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jessica by: Michelle
Shelves: advisory-07-08
Saving Jessica by Lurlene McDaniel talks about how sixteen year old, Jeremy deals with Jessica’s kidney failure after his brother, Tom’s death in a car accident. Without having any scratch from the accident, Jeremy feels like he was responsible for the incident therefore, he wants to help save Jessica’s life. Jeremy goes through extreme measures including going through a lawsuit against his parents to gaining emancipation after knowing that he is eligible to donate one of his kidney to Jessica ( ...more
Aug 31, 2011 Jessica rated it it was ok
When Jessica is diagnosed as having kidney failure near the end of her senior year in high school, her boyfriend Jeremy, nearly two years younger but only a grade behind, wants to be her kidney donor. Dialysis is not going well for Jessica, her doctor says she is not a good candidate for a cadaver donor, and her parents, who had Jessica late in life, both have too many health problems to be suitable living donors. When Jeremy turns out to have compatible typing, it seems the solution is obvious. ...more
Maggie
Jul 09, 2009 Maggie rated it really liked it
Shelves: july-09
This was a pretty good book in itself, but I wouldn't consider it one of my favorites of Lurlene McDaniel. It had romance, a person in danger, tension between some characters, and hope. It gave a great message, and it was sweet how Jeremy fought so much and so hard to help save Jessica.

The thing about Lurlene McDaniel's works, is that they always give you such insight about different diseases. I know from reading almost every Lurlene McDaniel book that she does her research about the topic she'
Brittany
Mar 28, 2011 Brittany rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2014 Jessica rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, own, read-2014
During Jessica's senior year she had been diagnosed with kidney failure that was cause by a late treatment of strep. The only available option of survival is a dietary change, an extensive variety of medication, and a lifetime of dialysis. But what happens when the medication doesn't take? Jessica is becoming more ill by the day. Will anyone save Jessica, or is she doomed to fall?

This is honestly my least favourite book of Lurlene McDaniel's up to date. The emotional depth of this novel seemed n
Hadley
Oct 02, 2012 Hadley rated it really liked it
Paige V
Mar 09, 2011 Paige V rated it it was amazing
I read Saving Jessica by Lurlene McDaniel. I gave this book five stars because it was a great book. It was about a girl named Jessica who is really sick in the hospital and the doctors don’t know what is wrong with her. She sits there everyday waiting for results. Finally one day the doctors figured it out. They found that her kidneys were not working properly and the only two ways she would live is if she was in dialysis her whole life of if she could find a donor. Her boy friend Jeremy offers ...more
Zoey Dowdell
Sep 09, 2013 Zoey Dowdell rated it it was amazing
Saving Jessica is a great book its based on a girl name Jessica who has a very bad kidney failure and for the rest of her life she would have to be on a machine what is called Dialysis. She goes to Dialysis three day a week. During her dialysis she had to watch what she ate and watch on how she drink. Jessica also date this young man name Jeremy. Jeremy new that Jessica condition would never get better,she would never get to live a normal life. So Jeremy decide that he would like to give her one ...more
Cierra
Feb 16, 2011 Cierra rated it it was amazing
This book is about two teenagers falling in love and going to great lenghts for their love. Jessica has kidney failure and isn't doing very good at all. She doesn't have much time left, she hates dialysis and it isn't working anyways. Her parents aren't a match for her, and she is along ways down on the waiting list. Her only shot of making it is her boyfriend Jeremy giving is kidney to her. But, his parents won't approve of him giving his kidney away. Will he be able to get his kidney to Jessic ...more
Brittany Kammerer
Aug 23, 2014 Brittany Kammerer rated it it was ok
I'm rating 2.5 stars. I think years ago when I first started to read Lurlene McDaniel's books I loved them. I enjoyed the way she wrote, but now that I am older I am finding that the books aren't as enjoyable as they once were. I think "Saving Jessica" is my least favorite books of the many I have reader. Not only was there really no emotional build up but the characters at many points in the story were too whiny for me to handle.
Rebecca Rolfe
Apr 06, 2013 Rebecca Rolfe rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Rebecca by: Noone
This is the 3rd time i have read this book i love all Lurlene Mcdaniels Book.... i may be 29 now and a parent but it still causes Tears in my eyes this is a WONDEFUL READ.... it is well written.... and it gives you get insight to what a person having Kidney Failure has to go thru every day to stay alive....
Ariel
May 28, 2010 Ariel rated it it was ok
i thought this was one of lurlene's lower class novels, with the girl tragically with a death threat and her loving boyfriend wanting to help her--at any cost. it was so anticlimatic and too much arguing (selfish people, i might add) for my taste.
Jacquelyn
Nov 28, 2014 Jacquelyn rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and I loved the emotional factor of this book. Lurlene really knows how to write emotional books! Although, I do wish we could see more of the events that occurred between the (view spoiler) The end seemed a bit rushed in my opinion.
Courtney
Jul 17, 2012 Courtney rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-to-re-read
I read this book when I was a young teenager and I still remember this book, it brought tears to my eyes, just like any other Lurlene McDaniel book. I most definitely recommend this book!!
Devon
Nov 26, 2009 Devon rated it really liked it
Another amazing Lurlene McDaniel book! I was a little disappointed with the ending because it didn't make me cry :P
Darius Christian
Definitely the BEST book I've read in a long time! I recommend it to everybody. Lurlene McDaniel is an awesome author and I can't wait to read more of her books!
Ankita M.
Aug 22, 2008 Ankita M. rated it it was amazing
This book was pretty dang good. I really liked the main plot. But, as my friend said, the book did go really slow. But that didn't stop me from giving it 5 stars!!!
Melissa
May 03, 2008 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
This book is amazing and it shows what someone who really loves someone will do in order to help the person they love.
Pamela
Sep 15, 2013 Pamela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-read-2013
very quick read, and even though I thought it ended at a stopping point, I wanted to know more about Jessica and ?(mind blank on male boyfriend name)
Caroline
Aug 08, 2008 Caroline rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of the author
Shelves: young-adult
Jessica's boyfriend wants to give her a kidney, but his father says "no way!" A kind of boring book.
Haley R.
Aug 21, 2008 Haley R. rated it really liked it
So far, out of all Larlene McDaniel books I've read, this is the worst one. The book moves really slow to me in the beggining but eventually speeds up.
*Has a cute ending
Ashley
Mar 13, 2009 Ashley rated it it was amazing
I HAD THIS BOOK IN HARDBACK BUT IT IS THE SAME BOOK LOL. I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!! LURLENE IS MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE AUTHOR I COULD READ HER BOOKS ANY DAY ANY TIME ANY PLACE!!!!!
super captain man
The titles and covers for McDaniel's books sometimes seem a little bit corny, but don't be put off by that. This is actually a really good book
Shannen
Shannen rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2009
Hannah
Hannah rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2011
Aj
Aj rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2011
Leeanne Kosovich
Leeanne Kosovich rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2008
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2012
  • Nilda
  • earthgirl
  • The Shape of Water
  • Savage Sam (Old Yeller, #2)
  • Letters From Wolfie
  • Snap
  • Hindenburg, 1937
  • Heart & Soul (Clearwater Crossing, #3)
  • Butterface
  • The Mammoth Book of 20th Century Ghost Stories
  • Hero-Type
  • Brave New Girl
  • Listen!
  • Double Jeopardy (Sweet Valley High Super Thriller, #1)
  • Albatross
  • Life in the Fat Lane
  • The Deep End of Fear (Dark Secrets, #4)
Lurlene McDaniel (born c. 1948) is an author who has written over 50 young adult books. She is well known for writing about characters struggling with chronic and terminal illnesses, such as cancer, diabetes, and organ failure.

Other places to find her are...
More about Lurlene McDaniel...