Start by marking “So Much to Live For (Dawn Rochelle, #3)” as Want to Read:
So Much to Live For (Dawn Rochelle, #3)

So Much to Live For (Dawn Rochelle #3)

4.13  ·  Rating Details ·  2,174 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Fifteen-year-old Dawn Rochelle has survived cancer not once, but twice. No one knows the battle better than she does. That's why Dawn agrees to be a camp counselor for young kids with cancer--the same camp she and her best friend Sandy had attended. Now Sandy is gone. Can Dawn handle the memories? How can she help the kids if she is still hurting so much?
Published September 1st 2003 by Darby Creek Publishing (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about So Much to Live For, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about So Much to Live For

Don't Die, My Love by Lurlene McDanielSix Months to Live by Lurlene McDanielSo Much to Live For by Lurlene McDanielA Rose for Melinda by Lurlene McDanielI Want to Live by Lurlene McDaniel
Lurlene McDaniel Novels
3rd out of 62 books — 93 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
Books girls 10-14 will enjoy
107th out of 120 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Books Kids Like
Since her bone marrow transplant, Dawn Rochelle has been free of leukemia symptoms. It is summer, and she is off to cancer camp. Dawn had planned on working the whole summer with Rhonda in her uncle's ice cream parlor. She really wanted to put the whole idea of leukemia behind her, but Joan Clark talks her into becoming a counselor-in-training. Soon after she arrives she meets a vaguely familiar boy who is also a CIT. Dawn is not surprised when she finds out that he is Brent Chandler, Sandy's ...more
Kimberlyn Schilke
Mar 05, 2008 Kimberlyn Schilke rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Kimberlyn by: Sister
I learned from this book is to be nice to everyone no matter how mean they are to you because they may have something wrong with them and you could give them hope.
Traceylee
Oct 31, 2016 Traceylee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why

I have read three of this series and will start 4. Dawn has a way with being a good camp counsel for cancer since she went through it. Great book
Frank
May 04, 2012 Frank rated it it was amazing
Book three of the Six Months to Live series is as powerful and exciting as "Six Months" to live. It takes a little different twist by introducing a new friend into Dawn's life but this new girl was mean and spiteful. She was angry with the world for the cancer it had given her and took it out on everyone around her. At first I thought this out of place but as the story unfolds I could see how this was all part of the cancer story, or rather the living life of those who had cancer. Her big wish ...more
Teaha
Dec 14, 2008 Teaha rated it it was amazing
this book was really sad,well dawn rochelle had cancer 2 times and both times survived it. when she goes to this camp where kids who has cancer or who are in remission can go and have fun, well when dawn goes there this year she has to deal with meeting her friend brother brent and deal with the lost of his sister and her best friend (sandy) from cancer. dawn meets this girl marlee and at first she is a spolt brat but then she softens up a little when her and dawn starts a friendship, marlee ...more
Morgan Lemke
Oct 16, 2012 Morgan Lemke rated it it was amazing
this is the best book i have read by lurlen! this book is about a 15 year old girl who had cancer... her best friend died of cancer 2 years ago abd she cries everytime she even hears her name... she decides to be a counceler at a cancer camp for children... there she meets a brat named merlylee...merlylee has gone through a lot in her life including both of her parents dying, cancer, and a fake eye... merlylee gets cancer again and dawn (main character) is the only one there for her... merlylee ...more
Megan S
Oct 19, 2010 Megan S rated it it was amazing
I gave it five stars because I thought I could relate to what Dawn is thinking. She is fifteen years old Dawn has survived cancer not once, but twice. No one knows the battle better then she does. That’s why Dawn agrees to be a camp counselor for young kids with cancer the same thing that Dawn and her friend Sandy had attended when they were little. But now that Sandy is dead she can not live without her. What I didn’t like about it was it kept on dragging on so I just wanted to know what will ...more
Robin Conley
Another good addition to Dawn's story. I really enjoyed this book, though again, it was heartbreaking. I think I liked the second one better than this one, just because it focused more on Dawn and the ending was so well written. This book was good as well, but I think it didn't keep my attention as much as the last book did. One thing I enjoy about Lurlene McDaniel's books is the fact that she doesn't just focus on the main person, Dawn, she spends some time telling the story of those around ...more
Molly
Apr 18, 2016 Molly rated it liked it
Shelves: childhood, 2014
Dawn Rochelle is ready to put Leukemia behind her and spend the summer working in an ice cream parlor and hanging out with friends, but she is convinced to become a counselor-in-training at the camp for kids with cancer she has gone to in the past. While there, she makes new friends that will change her life.

I don't really have anything different to say about this one from the other books in the series, but readers will be satisfied.
Lisa Buccieri
Nov 03, 2010 Lisa Buccieri rated it it was amazing
Out of all the Dawn Rochelle books this one was defenitly the best..at least for me anyway. The ending was so sweet and sad and the whole story just made me want to cry, even though it was short it had so much dept and meaning and i lovvvvveddd it, go out and read this right now!!! You wont regret it (=
Amanda
This was a really sad book but it was also really good. I like this series so far and am hoping that it has a good ending. I think these books bother me because it's hard to think how come it wasn't me? Even thought these books are fiction this accually happens to kids thats why it's so heartbreaking.
Ms. Mielke's Class Make sure you post how your sheets tell you to!!!!
It was a sad and caring book about a girl who had cancer and is now in remission and goes to a camp for cancer kids and is a cit and helps the cancer kids. She is a girls councelor and she keeps remembering when her and her friend were at that camp together. Something happens after camp that she will never forget.... LJ
Corie
Oct 31, 2010 Corie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fiction
A wonderful book and I loved reading more about Dawn Rochelle's life and how cancer has effected her. If you are like me, and "Six Months to Live" and "I Want to Live" are books that were significant to you, "So Much to Live For" is definitely worth picking up. Even if you are almost 35 and carrying around a teen novel.
Maria
May 07, 2007 Maria rated it liked it
Shelves: teen
I was addicted to Lurlene McDaniel books when I was in the 4th-6th grade. This is the one that always made me cry so I figure I'll review it. These books are teen braincandy all about teens (mostly gals) with life-threatening/fatal diseases. I can't explain the morbid curiosity that I had for these novels but they were great at the time.
Jaelyn O
Dec 17, 2009 Jaelyn O rated it it was amazing
This book so far is about a girl who has cancer and she goes to this camp where cancer kids go to in the summer. And she is a counsler there it is her first time being there because last time she was there her best friend was there too but she died of cancer so it is really hard for her and in her cabin there is a really mean girl her name is Marlee.
Dorel
Jun 02, 2013 Dorel rated it it was amazing
In this 3rd book I love how the bone marrow transplant is working for Dawn. I love how strong Dawn is, you can help but to root for her. I love how Dawn helps the kids at the camp. Some parts of this story is very sad. I also love how Ms. McDaniel introduces the reader to another type of Cancer.
Kennan Hickman
Apr 02, 2014 Kennan Hickman rated it liked it
So Much To Live For is truly a touching book. Between the loss of Dawn's friend, Sandy, to having to be a CIT at the cancer camp she previously went to, this story really gives you an idea of how it feels to be a cancer patient and what it's like trying to readjust back into life.
=PKatie=P
Oct 14, 2008 =PKatie=P rated it liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
This series is really good, you learn about Leukemia..everyone needs to read! I think there are four books but now....I am looking on here and it says 5..i think idk someone tell me!
Culleen
Apr 16, 2014 Culleen rated it really liked it
McDaniel did a great job connecting characters from the 2 previous books to this one. The story continues on with the same intensity and emotion as the first 2 books.
Samantha Osborne
sad book she loses two friends sandy then marlee yet i still loved the book and when she fell in love with sandy's older brother it was good
Mary Bronson
I thought this was a very great book. Dawn is stilling growing and getting so much better as a character. Very heartwarming.
Caroline
Aug 07, 2008 Caroline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, series
Dawn is working at a counselor at the Cancer Camp, along with Sandy's brother. There is a difficult girl named Marlee whom they have to deal with, but will Dawn get through to her?
Clare
Mar 29, 2008 Clare rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 13-??
Dawn was helped with her cancer since she was thirteen, now at 15, she's going to help cancer victims at a cancer camp.
Taylor
Oct 05, 2008 Taylor is currently reading it
It is getting so good:)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jennifer Dudley
Jul 09, 2016 Jennifer Dudley rated it liked it
Shelves: teen, 2016, tearjerker
WHYYYY do I read these books!?!?!?!?
Finished this one in near tears. One more left in the series.
Discoverylover
Third book in the Dawn Rochelle series. I don't remember reading this one as a teen, it's possible that my public library didn't have it, so it was good to read the middle of the series!
Madeline
I was in california when I read this series, it really helped me get threw being in a car with my family for 1 month!
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2013
Adrianna
Adrianna rated it really liked it
May 11, 2011
Erika
Erika rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2008
  • Who Do You Love? (Love Stories For Young Adults, #13)
  • Kiss and Tell (Love Stories For Young Adults, #29)
  • Some Girls Do (Love Stories For Young Adults, #11)
  • My Girl
  • Swimming Naked
  • The Arrest (Sweet Valley High, #96)
  • Goodnight Kiss (Fear Street Superchiller, # 3)
  • The Big Shuffle (Hallie Palmer, #3)
  • Hindenburg, 1937
  • Flight #116 Is Down!
  • Maggie: Diary 3 (California Diaries, #13)
  • When She Was Good
  • Magician of Hoad
  • PaperQuake: A Puzzle
  • Memories of Summer
  • Heart & Soul (Clearwater Crossing, #3)
  • Autobiography of My Dead Brother
Lurlene McDaniel (born c. 1948) is an author who has written over 50 young adult books. She is well known for writing about characters struggling with chronic and terminal illnesses, such as cancer, diabetes, and organ failure.

Other places to find her are...
More about Lurlene McDaniel...

Dawn Rochelle (5 books)
  • Six Months to Live (Dawn Rochelle, #1)
  • I Want to Live (Dawn Rochelle, #2)
  • No Time to Cry (Dawn Rochelle, #4)
  • To Live Again (Dawn Rochelle, #5)