Harpo Speaks...About New York

Harpo Speaks...About New York

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Long before vaudeville, Broadway, and the silver screen, Harpo Marx had triumphed on the greatest stage of all: New York City. For a kid on the streets in 1902, every day demanded wit and improvisation. Beyond the door of the tenement at 179 East 93rd Street lay rival gangs, lucky breaks, failed hustles. While his mother, Minnie, was occupied elsewhere—planning her unruly...more
Published January 1st 2000 by Little Bookroom

To ask other readers questions about Harpo Speaks...About New York, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harpo Speaks...About New York

Michele Hush
Although this book is brief — 55 pages — it holds a ton of enjoyment. Harpo's memories of growing up poor on the streets of New York City at the end of the 1800s and the early days of the 1900s are vivid and unforgettable. I got it from my local library on the recommendation of a friend. Ask for it.
Joyce
A gem! Funny and concise. Summary: Long before vaudeville, Broadway, and the silver screen, Harpo Marx had triumphed on the greatest stage of all: New York City. For a kid on the streets in 1902, every day demanded wit and improvisation. Beyond the door of the tenement at 179 East 93rd Street lay rival gangs, lucky breaks, failed hustles. While his mother, Minnie, was occupied elsewhere--planning her unruly brood's ultimate destiny--Harpo roamed the streets doing what any self-respecting second-...more
Tony
HARPO SPEAKS...ABOUT NEW YORK. (2000). Harpo Marx and Rowland Barber, with an introduction by E. L. Doctrow. ***.
This is really a bogus book. It is an extract by Harpo’s book, “Harpo Speaks,” published in 1961. Maybe it’s because the original is so hard to find, or for a reason I haven’t figured out yet, this small publishing company put this together and – voila! – put a book on the stand. Doctorow’s introduction adds nothing special. After we read it we know that he likes the Marx brothers. W...more
Suzanne
I loved this book and savoured each page of it. It was well written and a quick read.

If you are interested about New York in the early 1900's you probably would enjoy this short read about the times of young man growing up poor but who was making life an adventure no less.

I would have also loved it to have gone on to the size of a normal book at least.

Lea
It was really interesting and had me running to my computer to research 1890s New York City, but it was way too short. Isn't there a longer autobiography?
Diane
Sep 14, 2007 Diane rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
I have always liked reading about actors, especially funny ones (actors, I mean, not books). Their lives outside out of their movies are so much more interesting!

I most especially liked Harpo's "Rules of the House" that he listed in the book.
Michael
I didn't realize that this was pretty much a chopped up version of Harpo Speaks, where it just talked about New York. I can't bitch about that because Speaks is one of my favorite books. I just wish it was just more.
Angela
While not a big fan of the Marx brothers, their early life if very interesting. This book is really just a short essay on living in NYC at the turn of the century from the Jewish immigrant perspective.
Kitty Myers
At 55 pages, this memoir was pure enjoyment. An absolute gem!
Dej
Funny and well done. I wish it went on longer.
Siobhan
Just read "Harpo Speaks". This is excerpts.
Siany
It's hard to imagine Harpo with a voice!
Susan
Very short and funny and poignant.
tom
Well written and a lot of fun.
George Huner
Short but sweet.
Joey
Dec 11, 2009 Joey is currently reading it
Great read about one of the most talented funny men in show biz. I wouldn't want to be reading anything else at this time right now, it's helping me get through the rough patches. I wish the would come out with an audio version so my 96 year old grandmother could listen too it.
Leo Keil
Leo Keil marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Quinn
Quinn marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Cassandra Wodicker
Cassandra Wodicker marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Aral
Aral added it
Apr 20, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Miik
Miik marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014