Start by marking “Love First: A New Approach to Intervention for Alcoholism and Drug Addiction (A Hazelden Guidebook)” as Want to Read:

If alcoholics and addicts won't accept help until they're ready, what gets them ready? This book provides an answer in clear, concise terms. Dispelling two damaging myths -- that an addict has to hit bottom and that intervention must be confrontational -- the authors' proven approach puts love first and shows families, step by step, what to do next. "A convincing new appro ...more
Published September 1st 2000 by Hazelden

To ask other readers questions about Love First, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love First

Todd
Jan 24, 2009 Todd rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
This is a great discovery. I have always been of the "you can't help the addict until the addict is ready to help themselves" mentality. This book challenges that tenet. The authors believe that the those of us faced with dealing with an addict need to ask what will it take to get the addict ready to accept help.

They quote from the work of Dr. Vernon Johnson who some consider to be the grandfather of intervention techniques back in the 1960's.

A couple of quotes that really struck me are as follo
Judy Herzanek
Very Practical. One of the best resources on intervention.

I have personally loaned this book to friends who needed immediate help.

Very practical.

This book is something anyone should read if they are thinking about attending an intervention.

Judy Herzanek, Co-Author:
Why Don't They Just Quit? What families and friends need to know about addiction and recovery by Joe Herzanek
90-Minute DVD: Why Don't They Just QUIT? DVD Roundtable Discussion: What families and friends need to know about addiction and recovery.
Kerry
Sep 23, 2010 Kerry rated it it was amazing
I read this book in the summer of 2005 and it inspired me to initiate an intervention for my dad. He is now celebrating five years of sobriety. I'm so glad that I found this book, that my family followed the advice that it provides and that my dad had and still has the courage and desire to fight the disease of alcoholism.
Timi Carter
Sep 16, 2007 Timi Carter rated it really liked it
Shelves: selfhelp
Fortunately, I never needed to implement this but it is a step by step concrete guide and is quite helpful.
Wany
Wany marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Cindy Bjerkaas
Cindy Bjerkaas marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Galadali
Galadali marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Jane Graham
Jane Graham marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Emily Joyce
Emily Joyce marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Modiga Melo
Modiga Melo marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Barbara Wilbur
Barbara Wilbur marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
John Wurtenberger
John Wurtenberger marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Leo Tan
Leo Tan rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Sherida Hudak
Sherida Hudak rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Kendra
Kendra marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Mattie
Mattie marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Mari
Mari marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
Patti
Patti rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2015
Tara
Tara added it
Jul 05, 2015
Edith DeVilbiss
Edith DeVilbiss rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2015
Peter Joseph
Peter Joseph marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015