Start by marking “The Reluctant Buddhist: A Personal Look at Buddhism in the Modern World” as Want to Read:
The Reluctant Buddhist: A Personal Look at Buddhism in the Modern World

The Reluctant Buddhist: A Personal Look at Buddhism in the Modern World

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  120 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
This book is about Buddhism, and the pursuit of happiness. The author takes us on an intensely personal journey into the practice of Nichiren Buddhism, which has now been embraced by many millions of people around the world. It is not in any way about a remote, abstract, inaccessible, philosophy. It is about Buddhism in daily life; about learning in a wholly practical way, ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Grosvenor House Publishing Limited (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Reluctant Buddhist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reluctant Buddhist

Emily
Nov 01, 2012 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddhism
William Woollard broke many complex concepts down into very interesting, readable and understandable parts. I was very pleased to read his own interesting explanations and deeper understandings of Nichiren Buddhist teachings, they were new, fresh and helped me have a greater insight into concepts I thought I had grasped.

What I really appreciated was that William Woollard didn’t water down any concepts or teachings, instead I found him to do the opposite, he elaborated, and that is one of the rea
Victoria Radford
Aug 07, 2015 Victoria Radford rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic and inspiring book: I'd absolutely recommend it to anyone looking for an introduction to Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism, as it writes about key concepts in a clear and lucid voice, managing to be both thoughtful and matter of fact. It explains in simple terms, without being simplistic, and balances the theoretical with the practical beautifully. William Woollard also includes the personal experiences of practising Buddhists, which were immensely inspiring.
I'd also recommend
Fabio Parisini
Jun 23, 2014 Fabio Parisini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Fabio by: Elisa
Judy Juanita
Mar 08, 2015 Judy Juanita rated it it was amazing
I read this several years ago and immediately gave it to one friend, then another, another and another. I've probably bought 5 copies. It explains my practice of chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo in such a reasonable yet very poignant story. The author goes on a journey to disprove Soka Gakkai Buddhism's veracity and is very honest about his surprising experience. He doesn't convert and that's not the point. He understands the phenomenon, the principles and the passion.
Paul Bombach
Jan 25, 2014 Paul Bombach rated it it was amazing
This is an insightful book that gives the perspective of a Buddhist who came to Buddhism as an extreme skeptic. The branch of Buddhism discussed in Nichiren Buddhism which seems to be different from the branch of Buddhism most Americans are familiar with. This is a great read if you have any interest in Buddhism.
G
Feb 02, 2015 G rated it it was amazing
Libro semplice e chiaro che coglie la vera essenza del Buddismo di Nichiren Daishonin. Lo consiglio a chi si vuole avvicinare a questa pratica o ne è semplicemente incuriosito!
pah21
Jan 11, 2011 pah21 rated it it was amazing
This is a GREAT book for anyone interested in Nichiren Buddhism or is looking to find out more information about Buddhism in general. The first person perspective makes it a very relatable read. The author's pursuit to dissuade his partner's Buddhist practice only brings him a much clearer understanding of what Buddhism is really about. Totally recommend it (and will let you borrow my copy once I get it back from another friend) (^_^)
Jennifer K
Feb 22, 2012 Jennifer K rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All Nichiren Buddhists
Recommended to Jennifer by: Found it on Amazon
I haven't finished this one yet, but it is a moving account of one man's journey from being a "I do not need spirituality to be happy" to embracing Nichiren Buddhism with all of his heart and life. i expect the second half to be as good as the first.
Deborah J.
Sep 05, 2012 Deborah J. rated it it was amazing
A very interesting book about Lotus Buddhism written about a man who, at first, set out to find proof that it was all nonsense. This perspective from a skeptic-turned-buddhist is priceless!
by Ax
Da lontano

A grandi linee illustra alcuni aspetti del pensiero buddista e li rende comprensibili per chi li affronta per la prima volta. Tutto qui.
Alesa
Jun 18, 2013 Alesa rated it liked it
An interesting introduction to the Soka Gakkai movement, from a Western perspective. But somehow, I got bogged down in the middle and didn't finish it.
Jul 03, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
Great book for people interested in Buddhism or just starting the study of Buddhism.
Jamey
Jun 17, 2011 Jamey rated it it was amazing
Great introduction to Nichiren Buddhism.
Joe
Aug 24, 2013 Joe rated it it was amazing
Well-done!
Brooke
Aug 23, 2012 Brooke rated it it was amazing
So interesting!
Vandana Shah
Vandana Shah rated it it was ok
Feb 09, 2016
Diwas Gahatraj
Diwas Gahatraj marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Heidi Sampson
Heidi Sampson rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2016
Chiara
Chiara is currently reading it
Jan 23, 2016
Padmini Roy
Padmini Roy marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Jørgen Leangen
Jørgen Leangen rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2016
Niccolò Collini
Niccolò Collini rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2016
Anjali
Anjali marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Lowell Johnson
Lowell Johnson marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Deborah
Deborah rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Nicholas Sturtevant
Nicholas Sturtevant rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Navita
Navita is currently reading it
Jan 02, 2016
Sheila LaPoint
Sheila LaPoint rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Michelle Callicott
Michelle Callicott marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2015
Aylin
Aylin rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Buddha In Daily Life: An Introduction to the Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin
  • The Buddha in Your Mirror: Practical Buddhism and the Search for Self
  • Unlocking the Mysteries of Birth & Death: . . . And Everything in Between, A Buddhist View Life
  • Waking the Buddha: How the Most Dynamic and Empowering Buddhist Movement in History Is Changing Our Concept of Religion
  • The Accelerated Learning Handbook: A Creative Guide to Designing and Delivering Faster, More Effective Training Programs
  • The Essential Canon of Classical Music
  • Hypnosis for Beginners: Reach New Levels of Awareness & Achievement
  • An Integrated Approach To Business Studies
  • Sorrow Mountain: The Journey of a Tibetan Warrior Nun
  • The Malice of Unnatural Death (Knights Templar, #22)
  • A Brief History of British Kings and Queens: British Royal History from Alfred the Great to the Present
  • The Buddha, Geoff and Me: A Modern Story. Edward Canfor-Dumas