Start by marking “Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 18: Apocalypse” as Want to Read:
Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 18: Apocalypse

Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 18: Apocalypse (Ultimate X-Men trade paperbacks #18)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  480 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The sinister Shadow King is desperate to escape from the mental prison he was placed in centuries ago - and he'll destroy Storm to do it But will his freedom also unleash the horrifying swarm of the alien Brood? And will even the X-Men be enough to battle a being who has plotted our death and destruction for ages? Collects Ultimate X-Men #89-93.
Published July 30th 2008 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 18, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 18

Nicolo Yu
This is the third part of Robert Kirkman’s final three arc story on Ultimate X-Men, a nostalgic retelling of the Nineties X-Men stories and characters. This is supposedly where everything he has been building up in his entire run pays off. But I’m afraid the reader would think that the ending is rather abrupt and made inconsequential everything in the last two arcs that came before this.

(view spoiler)
Craig Williams
I'll start off by saying, firstly, that I never liked Apocalypse. I always thought the character design was cool, but the actual character is just a hollow, all powerful bad guy with designs for world domination. His dialogue consists of nothing more than variations of this phrase: "You are fools to think you can defeat me!" His Ultimate counterpart is, disappointingly, not very different. Most of this book is spent watching Apocalypse effortlessly wail on all of the Marvel heroes (except for th ...more
Charles
Manal
very cool and action packed but the ending wasn't very fulfilling. also where is nightcrawler
M
Not even fan-favorite writer Robert Kirkman can fix the train wreck that the Ultimate X-Men have become. Bishop is still leading a team of unproven soldiers as the X-Men (Pyro - really?) and Storm is dealing with the revelation that Beast is not dead, and neither blue nor furry. Between a mental plane revamp for the Brood and Shadow King to the time-travel armor for Professor X and Cable, the end result of Apocalypse is a reboot. Let's hop Ultimate X gives us a true Ultimate X-Men...
Evan
Read during the great blackout of '08...

Desperate for more reading material during the power outage, I grabbed this new collection, knowing full well that I had not read the last five or six. Say what you will about the Ultimate line of comics, they are fairly easy to dive into without a lot of catching up beforehand. Of course, that could be because the book itself is pretty much all action and explosions and very little exposition.
Shaun
The first issue in this volume was filler with the Shadow King, I felt that the amount of time given to this character is not enough compared to its original counterpart. The main arc is about Ultimate Apocalypse. He is obviously an evil entity. I liked that he could control mutants and that his immense power brought out the Phoenix. I wish more was done on this iconic villain.
Rob
The best part of this volume was the Phoenix tie-in at the end, handled really well I think this version of Jean Gray’s storyline feels more naturalistic and casts her transformation in a much more benevolent light.
Jensownzoo
I've liked this series so far. This offering just seemed to be a bunch of pieces thrown together without anything to make them gel together. There were some bright points, but otherwise disappointing.
Michael
Arggghhh! Kirkman's Apocalypse is violent, quick, and somewhat entertaining. He certainly picked the right narrative to tell before quitting X-Men.
sixthreezy
Good volume but a fairly weak run at the X-Men by Apocalypse.. Phoenix is so bad ass though :)
Jeff Raymond
Really crazy X-Men arc here, although the pseudo-retconning makes me more than a little wary.
Zach Danielson
Crazy world-changing stuff, then reboot as if nothing happened.
Roberta
The ultimate tale of Apocalypse and how the X-men wage battle against him.
Brian
Apocalypse and the Phoenix. That's all you need to know, heh.
Sean Mcevilly
Interesting concept for Sinister...horrible execution
Frank Taranto
The battle with Apocalypse and the return of the Phoenix.
Joe
Good stuff
Kaleb
Kaleb marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Joey Heflich
Joey Heflich is currently reading it
Dec 27, 2014
Jake
Jake marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Devin
Devin marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 4: Hellfire and Brimstone
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 11: The Most Dangerous Game
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 7: Blockbuster
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 19: Absolute Power
More about Robert Kirkman...
The Walking Dead, Vol. 01: Days Gone Bye The Walking Dead, Compendium 1 The Walking Dead, Book One The Walking Dead, Vol. 08: Made to Suffer The Walking Dead, Vol. 02: Miles Behind Us