Start by marking “Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 18: Apocalypse” as Want to Read:
Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 18: Apocalypse

Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 18: Apocalypse (Ultimate X-Men trade paperbacks #18)

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  663 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
The sinister Shadow King is desperate to escape from the mental prison he was placed in centuries ago - and he'll destroy Storm to do it But will his freedom also unleash the horrifying swarm of the alien Brood? And will even the X-Men be enough to battle a being who has plotted our death and destruction for ages? Collects Ultimate X-Men #89-93.
Published July 30th 2008 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 18, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 18

Nicolo Yu
Nov 30, 2011 Nicolo Yu rated it it was ok
Shelves: collected-comics
This is the third part of Robert Kirkman’s final three arc story on Ultimate X-Men, a nostalgic retelling of the Nineties X-Men stories and characters. This is supposedly where everything he has been building up in his entire run pays off. But I’m afraid the reader would think that the ending is rather abrupt and made inconsequential everything in the last two arcs that came before this.

(view spoiler)
Craig Williams
Aug 18, 2010 Craig Williams rated it liked it
I'll start off by saying, firstly, that I never liked Apocalypse. I always thought the character design was cool, but the actual character is just a hollow, all powerful bad guy with designs for world domination. His dialogue consists of nothing more than variations of this phrase: "You are fools to think you can defeat me!" His Ultimate counterpart is, disappointingly, not very different. Most of this book is spent watching Apocalypse effortlessly wail on all of the Marvel heroes (except for th ...more
John White
Sep 02, 2015 John White rated it it was ok
The culmination of Kirkman's run the journey too this point has been mostly fun it is a bit of a shame the ending is a bit of a let down. Mostly the story is there to facilitate a final show down, it is a bit of a shame that culmination of this is a big reset button.

The art across the editon is up and down Larroca and Tolibao really bring the action scenes to life but the reinterpretation of the characters at the end is weirdly grotesque which I don't believe is intended.

All in all a little di
Edward Cheer
Jun 16, 2016 Edward Cheer rated it it was ok
Well... here it is. A little late, but who really cares? I'm finally review X-Men: Apocalypse to tie in to the film of the same title being released.

I was planning on reading Volume 17 sooner, but Sentinels seems to be in the same grubby child's hands that prevented me from reading Ultimate Comics Spider-Man Vol. 1, and Star Wars Legacy Vol. 6 until almost a year later. I'll review Sentinels when I get it.

But, hey! Something big happened between volumes 16 and 18 that immediately pissed me off.
Charles
Aug 20, 2012 Charles rated it really liked it
Federiken Masters
En realidad, 2 y medio, demasiados deus ex machina y volantazos derrapadores para mi gusto. Promedio para arriba porque tengo que admitir que la etapa de Kirkman en general me entretuvo y porque los dibujos de Larroca suben bastante la calidad visual promedio que ha tenido la serie hasta ahora.
Bodie Aland
Nov 09, 2015 Bodie Aland rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book as well, I didn't like angel dying but that was for the plot and the ending was truly amazing
Lovish
Jul 14, 2015 Lovish rated it liked it
The fight I had been waiting for, Apocalypse vs The Phoenix. So disappointing :(
Manal
Jul 23, 2014 Manal rated it really liked it
very cool and action packed but the ending wasn't very fulfilling. also where is nightcrawler
Justin Cubillas
May 04, 2015 Justin Cubillas rated it liked it
The story was nice from the start but the ending was just nothing at all
Variaciones Enrojo
Coleccionable Ultimate, tomo dedicado a UXM.
Annette McIntyre
Jan 30, 2016 Annette McIntyre rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-book
Who is Mr Sinister and why is he killing mutants?
Sha Hernandez
Oct 30, 2014 Sha Hernandez rated it liked it
2.5/5 stars
M
Jul 30, 2011 M rated it it was ok
Not even fan-favorite writer Robert Kirkman can fix the train wreck that the Ultimate X-Men have become. Bishop is still leading a team of unproven soldiers as the X-Men (Pyro - really?) and Storm is dealing with the revelation that Beast is not dead, and neither blue nor furry. Between a mental plane revamp for the Brood and Shadow King to the time-travel armor for Professor X and Cable, the end result of Apocalypse is a reboot. Let's hop Ultimate X gives us a true Ultimate X-Men...
Evan
Sep 21, 2008 Evan rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
Read during the great blackout of '08...

Desperate for more reading material during the power outage, I grabbed this new collection, knowing full well that I had not read the last five or six. Say what you will about the Ultimate line of comics, they are fairly easy to dive into without a lot of catching up beforehand. Of course, that could be because the book itself is pretty much all action and explosions and very little exposition.
Shaun
Apr 29, 2013 Shaun rated it liked it
The first issue in this volume was filler with the Shadow King, I felt that the amount of time given to this character is not enough compared to its original counterpart. The main arc is about Ultimate Apocalypse. He is obviously an evil entity. I liked that he could control mutants and that his immense power brought out the Phoenix. I wish more was done on this iconic villain.
Rob
The best part of this volume was the Phoenix tie-in at the end, handled really well I think this version of Jean Gray’s storyline feels more naturalistic and casts her transformation in a much more benevolent light.
Jensownzoo
Jan 08, 2009 Jensownzoo rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009-reads, comics
I've liked this series so far. This offering just seemed to be a bunch of pieces thrown together without anything to make them gel together. There were some bright points, but otherwise disappointing.
Michael
Sep 08, 2009 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Arggghhh! Kirkman's Apocalypse is violent, quick, and somewhat entertaining. He certainly picked the right narrative to tell before quitting X-Men.
sixthreezy
Oct 08, 2012 sixthreezy rated it really liked it
Shelves: x-men, marvel, ultimate
Good volume but a fairly weak run at the X-Men by Apocalypse.. Phoenix is so bad ass though :)
Jeff Raymond
Really crazy X-Men arc here, although the pseudo-retconning makes me more than a little wary.
Zach Danielson
Crazy world-changing stuff, then reboot as if nothing happened.
Roberta
Jan 21, 2011 Roberta rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphicnovel
The ultimate tale of Apocalypse and how the X-men wage battle against him.
Brian
Aug 08, 2012 Brian rated it liked it
Apocalypse and the Phoenix. That's all you need to know, heh.
Sean Mcevilly
Jan 03, 2011 Sean Mcevilly rated it liked it
Interesting concept for Sinister...horrible execution
Frank Taranto
Oct 08, 2009 Frank Taranto rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, comics
The battle with Apocalypse and the return of the Phoenix.
Joe
Aug 28, 2013 Joe rated it liked it
Good stuff
Ken
Ken rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Danica
Danica marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 4: Hellfire and Brimstone
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 13: Magnetic North
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 19: Absolute Power
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 7: Blockbuster
More about Robert Kirkman...

Ultimate X-Men trade paperbacks (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 1: The Tomorrow People