Start by marking “Treatises on Friendship and Old Age” as Want to Read:
Treatises on Friendship and Old Age

Treatises on Friendship and Old Age

Cato maior de senectute est dialogus philosophicus a M. Tullio Cicerone anno 44 a.C.n. scriptus, paulo antequam mortuus est. Qui dialogus in colloquio inter tres personas consistit: Cato Maior disputat de senectute cum P. Scipione Aemiliano et C. Laelio.
Laelius de amicitia est dialogus philosophicus M. Tulli Ciceronis, quem scripsit anno 44 a.C.n., post Caesaris mortem, qu
Published November 3rd 2006 by Hard Press

To ask other readers questions about Treatises on Friendship and Old Age, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Treatises on Friendship and Old Age

Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BCE)

For not only is Fortune herself blind; often, too, she makes blind men of those whom she has taken to her bosom. In the end they are virtually driven out of their minds by pride and arrogance - and nothing in creation is more unbearable than an imbecile blessed by Fortune.

Cato Maior de Senectute (literally, something like Cato the Elder on Old Age) - usually just referred to as On Old Age - and De Amicitia (On Friendship) are two of the philosophical dialogue
Roy Lotz
Jun 15, 2016 Roy Lotz rated it liked it
It’s about time that I read some Cicero. In the history of writing, it is difficult to overstate Cicero’s influence. To quote the most authoritative source I know, Wikipedia: “His influence on the Latin language was so immense that that the subsequent history of prose in not only Latin but European languages up to the 19th century was said to be either a reaction against or a return to his style.” It does seem that, until recently, everyone with any pretensions to education read him. I can’t cou ...more
Italo  Perazzoli
Oct 13, 2016 Italo Perazzoli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was now lunch time and they were all sitting under the double green fly of the dining tent pretending that nothing had happened"

This is the key reading of this short story, it is a continuous question on why this happens and by its reasons..

The first question is to understand why Francis Macomber is a coward and why, being afraid by the lions, he is in Africa for a safari.

Margot Macomber is an handsome woman, Francis "loves" her because she is a "trophy wife" and she "loves" him because he is
Libby Bishop
Dec 29, 2015 Libby Bishop rated it really liked it
I have read and enjoyed Robert Harris trilogy about Cicero. In the spirit of trying to always go back to original sources, I wanted to read more by Cicero, rather than just about him.

In this treatise, Cicero writes about old age using the form of a dialogue between Publius Scipio and Marcus Cato. Cato begins by saying he does not have any special wisdom about aging, he is merely following Nature. The best way to prepare for old age, then, is to have "lived much as well as long." The core of the
Mohammad Ali
Nov 16, 2014 Mohammad Ali rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: فلسفه
از این دو رساله که به طور خلاصه و به صورت آزاد ترجمه شده اند، عیش پیری را می پسندم اما راز دوستی را نه چندان. البته پسندیدن صرفا به عنوان نوعی اندرز و حکمت نه همچون نوشتار دقیق فلسفی - که البته خود سیسرو ( یا کیکِرو ) هم چنین ادعایی ندارد.

رساله ی دوم یعنی راز دوستی بر دوستی مبتنی بر تقوا و فضیلت تأکید فراوان دارد - به پیروی از ارسطو. اما من دوستی را چنین مقید نمی بینم. اتفاقا دوستی در افت و خیزهای انسانی بارزتر است تا فضایل و کمالات. دوستی پشتوانه ای است برای آدمیان تا بدانند حتی اگر خطایی کنند
Jun 11, 2012 Dolmar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: filosof-a
Libro entretenido, claro y con una prosa, por momentos poética; recomiendo -sobre todo a los jóvenes- el "Tratado sobre la Vejez". Ellos pueden preprarse para esa vejez que todos quisiéramos y que, como dice Cicerón:

"Pero tened presente que en todo este discurso mío, yo elogio aquella vejez que descansa sobre los fundamentos de la juventud. De lo que resulta aquello que dije una vez con gran aplauso de todos: que es mísera la vejez que se defiende con palabras. Ni canas ni arrugas pueden repent
Apr 10, 2016 ReneeS rated it liked it
Když si člověk uvědomí, že texty byly napsány před více než 2000 lety mísí se v něm obdiv a pocit nicotnosti (jak málo se toho změnilo). Hrozně ráda bych si s Cicerem sedla v jedné místnosti a probrala spoustu jeho tvrzení. S jeho textem o stáří mám trochu problémy. Vadí mi jeho zjednodušování, vybere pár příkladů, řekne - podívejte, stáří není špatné, protože ten a ten se ve stáří měl dobře, neměl problémy, zůstala mu bystrá hlavička a rozkoše mládí mu vlastně vůbec nechyběly - a pak to zobecní ...more
Nov 13, 2013 Galicius rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: latin
Cicero lists four reasons why old age is considered an unhappy phase:
“The fact is that when I come to think it over, I find that there are
four reasons for old age being thought unhappy: First, that it withdraws
us from active employments; second, that it enfeebles the body; third,
that it deprives us of nearly all physical pleasures; fourth, that it is
the next step to death. Of each of these reasons, if you will allow me,
let us examine the force and justice separately.”

He goes and examines these a
Aug 03, 2014 Fausto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buen par de ensayos o monólogos. Desde las perspectivas estoicas y del neoplatonismo hace una introducción en estos 2 temas, que se van ramificando en varios asuntos. Aparte de su punto de vista filosófico, hace una exposición bastante clara desde la sencillez, el sentido común, y basándose en sus propias experiencias. El lenguaje es claro y fácil de leer, no hay ninguna dificultad. También ayuda un excelente prologo que da un repaso a la biografía de Cicerón, su obra y las corrientes filosófica ...more
Matthew Dambro
Sep 08, 2016 Matthew Dambro rated it it was amazing
An aristocratic look at friendship and old age. Typically Ciceronian in quality, which means the best that Rome had to offer. Delightful insights into both aspects of a good life. Stoic in philosophy but has been used by Christian authors for two thousand years. At age 65 the treatise on old age speaks to me personally across the millennia.
Edwin Roman
Apr 27, 2013 Edwin Roman rated it really liked it
Terrific insights into the problems of youth and old age: ideas that will live forever. Contemporary people can learn some valuable lessons from this book, especially in view of our current culture's treatment of the subject of friendship as if it's just a matter of two people having similar tastes in smart phone apps.
Apr 29, 2014 Krollo rated it it was amazing
On Friendship - quite an interesting read, especially his belief that friends should share all interests and pursuits.

On Old Age - This was one of the most beautiful pieces of writing I have ever read. Old age is not something to be feared, it is something to be enjoyed. His discussion of death, and why we should not fear it, is great for everyone.
Nov 05, 2014 Noah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
These are two conversations that were told to Cicero and recorded by him in letters to friends. Reading these treatises has given me the desire for closer friends and has stayed my fears concerning old age and death. These are refreshing and enlightening treatises and were a delight to read.
Steve Delaney
May 19, 2016 Steve Delaney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic Ethics Treatise

I especially like the treatise on growing old where Cicero mocks those who resent having successfully live a long life. He then goes on to point out some f the advantages of being an elder man.
Tim Gannon
Apr 29, 2012 Tim Gannon rated it liked it
Shelves: philosophy
It was really worth at least 3.5 on my Likert scale. As the title implies, Cicero talked about friendship and old age. My life is more complete for having read it. It is brief and an easy read. It deals with 2 topics that, if applied, will make us better people : )
Gail Ann Gibbs
Nov 28, 2015 Gail Ann Gibbs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, philosophy
Although the description is in Latin, the book is not. I chose this edition because Copley's translation is modern and readable. Cicero provides insights on both these subjects that are as relevant today as they were in ancient Rome.
Volkan Yaşarlar
Sep 14, 2014 Volkan Yaşarlar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yaşlılık üzerine olan bölüm bir çeşit ölümle yüzleşme terapisi olarak da okunabilir ki ben bu bölümü daha çok sevdim. Her şekliyle klasiklerden biri ve mutlaka okunmalı.
Brent Jefferson
Jul 14, 2014 Brent Jefferson rated it it was amazing
An excellent read full of wisdom. Short enough for anyone to get through. Free download on Ibooks or at
Marko rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2016
David rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2013
Courtney Smith
Courtney Smith rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2016
Jessica rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2013
NeferLili Chopinovsky
NeferLili Chopinovsky rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2011
Eric rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2011
Monica Moura
Monica Moura rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2014
Yinzadi rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2012
jochem rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2009
Kristian rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2016
Erlend Landrö
Erlend Landrö rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Marta Skoober
Marta Skoober rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Spiritual Friendship
  • The Portable Greek Historians: The Essence of Herodotus, Thucydides, Xenophon, Polybius
  • The Victorian Age in Literature
  • The Apocrypha: King James Version
  • The Complete Stalky and Co.
  • London Journal, 1762-1763
  • The Thirty Six Dramatic Situations
  • Spiritual Friendship: Finding Love in the Church as a Celibate Gay Christian
  • Beauty for Truth's Sake: The Re-Enchantment of Education
  • How to Read the Bible as Literature: . . . and Get More Out of It
  • On the Unseriousness of Human Affairs: Teaching, Writing, Playing, Believing, Lecturing, Philosophizing, Singing, Dancing
  • God's Philosophers: How the Medieval World Laid the Foundations of Modern Science
  • The Travels of Sir John Mandeville
  • The Metaphysical Elements of Ethics
Marcus Tullius Cicero, Roman philosopher, statesman, lawyer, political theorist, and Roman constitutionalist. Cicero is widely considered one of Rome's greatest orators and prose stylists.
More about Marcus Tullius Cicero...

“The shifts of fortune test the reliability of friends.” 185 likes
“Just as apples when unripe are torn from trees, but when ripe and mellow drop down, so it is violence that takes life from young men, ripeness from old. This ripeness is so delightful to me that, as I approach nearer to death, I seem, as it were, to be sighting land, and to be coming to port at last after a long voyage.” 4 likes