Start by marking “Treatises on Friendship and Old Age” as Want to Read:
Treatises on Friendship and Old Age
Preview

Treatises on Friendship and Old Age

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Cato maior de senectute est dialogus philosophicus a M. Tullio Cicerone anno 44 a.C.n. scriptus, paulo antequam mortuus est. Qui dialogus in colloquio inter tres personas consistit: Cato Maior disputat de senectute cum P. Scipione Aemiliano et C. Laelio.
Laelius de amicitia est dialogus philosophicus M. Tulli Ciceronis, quem scripsit anno 44 a.C.n., post Caesaris mortem, qu
Published November 3rd 2006 by Hard Press (first published -44)

To ask other readers questions about Treatises on Friendship and Old Age, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Treatises on Friendship and Old Age

Mohammad Ali
از این دو رساله که به طور خلاصه و به صورت آزاد ترجمه شده اند، عیش پیری را می پسندم اما راز دوستی را نه چندان. البته پسندیدن صرفا به عنوان نوعی اندرز و حکمت نه همچون نوشتار دقیق فلسفی - که البته خود سیسرو ( یا کیکِرو ) هم چنین ادعایی ندارد.

رساله ی دوم یعنی راز دوستی بر دوستی مبتنی بر تقوا و فضیلت تأکید فراوان دارد - به پیروی از ارسطو. اما من دوستی را چنین مقید نمی بینم. اتفاقا دوستی در افت و خیزهای انسانی بارزتر است تا فضایل و کمالات. دوستی پشتوانه ای است برای آدمیان تا بدانند حتی اگر خطایی کنند
Lotz
It’s about time that I read some Cicero. In the history of writing, it is difficult to overstate Cicero’s influence. To quote the most authoritative source I know, Wikipedia: “His influence on the Latin language was so immense that that the subsequent history of prose in not only Latin but European languages up to the 19th century was said to be either a reaction against or a return to his style.” It does seem that, until recently, everyone with any pretensions to education read him. I can’t cou ...more
Fausto
Buen par de ensayos o monólogos. Desde las perspectivas estoicas y del neoplatonismo hace una introducción en estos 2 temas, que se van ramificando en varios asuntos. Aparte de su punto de vista filosófico, hace una exposición bastante clara desde la sencillez, el sentido común, y basándose en sus propias experiencias. El lenguaje es claro y fácil de leer, no hay ninguna dificultad. También ayuda un excelente prologo que da un repaso a la biografía de Cicerón, su obra y las corrientes filosófica ...more
Noah
These are two conversations that were told to Cicero and recorded by him in letters to friends. Reading these treatises has given me the desire for closer friends and has stayed my fears concerning old age and death. These are refreshing and enlightening treatises and were a delight to read.
Krollo
On Friendship - quite an interesting read, especially his belief that friends should share all interests and pursuits.

On Old Age - This was one of the most beautiful pieces of writing I have ever read. Old age is not something to be feared, it is something to be enjoyed. His discussion of death, and why we should not fear it, is great for everyone.
Brent Jefferson
An excellent read full of wisdom. Short enough for anyone to get through. Free download on Ibooks or at Gutenberg.org.
Volkan Yaşarlar
Yaşlılık üzerine olan bölüm bir çeşit ölümle yüzleşme terapisi olarak da okunabilir ki ben bu bölümü daha çok sevdim. Her şekliyle klasiklerden biri ve mutlaka okunmalı.
Karen
Read On Old Age. Doesn't apply to our times.
Galicius
Cicero lists four reasons why old age is considered an unhappy phase:
“The fact is that when I come to think it over, I find that there are
four reasons for old age being thought unhappy: First, that it withdraws
us from active employments; second, that it enfeebles the body; third,
that it deprives us of nearly all physical pleasures; fourth, that it is
the next step to death. Of each of these reasons, if you will allow me,
let us examine the force and justice separately.”

He goes and examines these a
Edwin Roman
Terrific insights into the problems of youth and old age: ideas that will live forever. Contemporary people can learn some valuable lessons from this book, especially in view of our current culture's treatment of the subject of friendship as if it's just a matter of two people having similar tastes in smart phone apps.
Tim Gannon
It was really worth at least 3.5 on my Likert scale. As the title implies, Cicero talked about friendship and old age. My life is more complete for having read it. It is brief and an easy read. It deals with 2 topics that, if applied, will make us better people : )
Daniel
Verbose, but that was the style of the time. As relevant today as it was 2000 years ago.
Onyango Makagutu
A book for all times
Zanzavil
Zanzavil marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Santiago Mtz
Santiago Mtz marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Doug Lawrence
Doug Lawrence is currently reading it
Apr 03, 2015
Joshua Shetter
Joshua Shetter marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Catherina Wojtowicz
Catherina Wojtowicz marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Carl Bailey
Carl Bailey marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
E L
E L marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Bryan
Bryan marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Kz
Kz marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Ruby-rose Niemann
Ruby-rose Niemann marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
  • Spiritual Friendship
  • The Victorian Age In Literature
  • The Portable Greek Historians: The Essence of Herodotus, Thucydides, Xenophon, Polybius
  • Selected Tales
  • Spiritual Friendship: Finding Love in the Church as a Celibate Gay Christian
  • The Complete Stalky and Co.
  • London Journal, 1762-1763
  • Religio Medici
  • Ten Ways to Destroy the Imagination of Your Child
  • The Thirty Six Dramatic Situations
  • Cassell's Concise Latin-English, English-Latin Dictionary
  • God's Philosophers: How the Medieval World Laid the Foundations of Modern Science
  • How to Read the Bible as Literature: . . . and Get More Out of It
  • Love Into Light: The Gospel, The Homosexual and The Church
January 3, 106 BCE – December 7, 43 BCE

Marcus Tullius Cicero, Roman philosopher, statesman, lawyer, political theorist, and Roman constitutionalist. Cicero is widely considered one of Rome's greatest orators and prose stylists.
More about Marcus Tullius Cicero...
Selected Works On the Republic/On the Laws Selected Political Speeches On the Good Life On Duties (Cambridge Texts in the History of Political Thought)

“The shifts of fortune test the reliability of friends.” 152 likes
“...Ey yüksek bilgelik! Dostluğu yaşamdan kaldırmak isteyenler, güneşi dünyadan ayıranlara benzerler; ölmez tanrılar insanlara dostluktan daha iyi, daha tatlı bir şey vermedi...
...Ruhta eylem olmazsa, insanla hayvan arasında demiyorum, ama insanla ağaç kütüğü, kaya ya da bu gibi bir eşya arasında ne ayrım kalır? Çünkü kendisinin sert, hem de demir gibi sert olmasını isteyenlerin sözlerini dinlemeyen erdem, aslında bir çok işte olduğu gibi, özellikle dostlukta yumuşaktır ve işlenebilir; öyle ki, dostun mutlu günlerinde sanki genişler, kara günlerinde sıkışır. Bu yüzden dost için duyulacak kaygı, dostluğu yaşamdan kaldıracak denli büyük değildir. Aynı biçimde kimi sıkıntı ve üzüntüler doğurabilir diye erdemden vazgeçilecek de değildir.”
0 likes