Start by marking “The Body in the Library: Level 4 (Penguin Longman Active Reading)” as Want to Read:
The Body in the Library: Level 4 (Penguin Longman Active Reading)

The Body in the Library: Level 4 (Miss Marple #3)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  30,026 ratings  ·  1,131 reviews
Early one morning the Bantrys wake to find the dead body of a young woman in their library. Who is she? How did she get there? The police are called, of course, but Dolly Bantry quickly invites her friend Jane Marple to solve the mystery.
Published October 16th 2008 by Pearson Education ESL (first published 1942)

To ask other readers questions about The Body in the Library, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Wendy Stanford
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Azur
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Barry Pierce
There's a small note to the reader at the very beginning of this novel in which Agatha Christie basically writes, "the trope of the body in the library is very common throughout detective fiction so I wrote this novel to fuck shit up". Good old Agatha. This is a Miss Marple story... well... I think it is, because our beloved Miss Jane Marple is in fact missing from quite a lot of this novel. Thankfully the crime is exciting enough for us to overlook that minor setback. It's a classic Christie, f ...more
Kwoomac
Someone here on Goodreads has a shelf called "cozy mysteries" and I think this is a perfect description of Agatha Christie's Miss Marple series.You can't get much cozier than a tea-drinking elderly spinster in a tiny English village. The Body in the Library is a clever little book. Miss Marple is called in to investigate when her friend finds a dead body (in the library). What I enjoy about Christie is she doesn't take her mysteries too seriously. There's lots of room for humorous little bits. I ...more
Madeline
This was my first foray into the Miss Marple series of Agatha Christie mysteries, and I have to admit first and foremost that this story has one of the best setups I've ever read in a detective novel: one morning Colonel and Mrs Bantry, the owners of a big English country house, are woken by their staff and informed that a dead body is in their library. It's a young blond woman in a cocktail dress, strangled to death and sprawled on the library rug. No one recognizes her, or has any idea how she ...more
Bonnie
This was my first Agatha Christie novel. It's kind of a random one to start with. It's not Murder on the Orient Express or And Then There Were None or any of her other famous works. I chose it purely because I liked the cover. But you know what? I think it was a perfect choice.

Miss Marple is absolutely delightful. No ego, just a keen insight into the human psyche. She's also far more clever than me; I didn't spot the killer until it was too late.

It's almost a quintessential British village life/
Phrynne
Agatha Christie is one of my favourite authors when I want to read something light, entertaining and always well written. This book did not let me down. Miss Marple was at her very best, guessing who the murderer was quite early in the piece but of course not letting the reader know who it might be. As usual I had no idea but just kept happily reading, letting her do all the detective work and enjoying how smart she is.
Noha Basiouny

كالعادة تقف الترجمة حائلا ثلجيا بين الإثارة والتشويق المميزان لقصص أجاثا كريستي.
لم تكن بهذا السوء بالطبع ولكنها إشارة إلي أفضلية قراءة الروايات الأجنبية بلغتها الأصلية.
ما علينا ... القصة لجريمة قتل تتعقد خيوطها منذ اكتشافها وما أن تلبث الأحداث بالانسياب حتي تكتشف جريمة أخري يتبين ارتباطها بخيط أرفع من الشعرة بالجريمة الأولي.
الآنسة ماربل عجوز عانس تتميز بذكائها وقوة ملاحظتها وكثيرا ما تساعد الشرطة في فك طلاسم القضايا المعقدة وهي بالطبع الشخص الذي سيتسني له حل لغز هذه الجريمة. الكاتبة أكثرت من ال
Laurel Young
I've read this one repeatedly and always seem to come back to it. Partly this is because it actually took more than one reading to get the denouement clear in my mind--it's rather complicated, and at first it wasn't clear to me how the murderer's alibi was meant to work. However, the bigger reason to return to this one over and over is the wealth of fascinating detail about what it meant to be a "lady" in the 1940s and how clothes, makeup, etc. identify one. I could read Miss Marple's analysis o ...more
Heena P.
After reading 4:50 from Paddington, I was expecting much more from this one, but unfortunately it's not as good as other Christie's books. It was a quick read and I guess that was the only good thing about it. As I'm planning to read all the books in Miss Marple series, I really hope that the rest of the books are better than this one.

Personally I won't recommend it to anyone. This book is definitely not for me!

You can read this review at The Reading Bud
Misha
*Maxine's Review*

Sophie Hannah
One of Agatha's finest. The writing is clear, elegant and sparkling; the plot is fantastic: unguessable but perfectly simple once everything is explained. Miss Marple is in it from the start too, so we get to see more of her and hear more of her words of wisdom, which is always a good thing!
Kevin
Embarrassed to say I've never read an Agatha Christie novel. But since there are 80 of them and everyone I've spoken to says one is pretty much the same as the next, why not start here?

I didn't guess who the murder was. I was a little said there wasn't more Ms. Marple because the novel coasted brilliantly when she was onscreen. But mostly I was impressed as hell and how much ground AG covers in just 160 pages. A dozen main characters, a setting real enough to touch, a detective I'd follow into h
SiMo
Il giallo perfetto e il più bel romanzo della Christie letto finora. Naturalmente non ho capito la modalità del delitto (o meglio, dei delitti) finchè Miss Marple non l'ha spiegata, nè chi tra i vari personaggi fosse davvero coinvolto: ho sospettato di tutti.
Jessica-Robyn
Agatha Christie knows a thing or two about creating an interesting mystery with a cast of characters a mile long. In the murder of a young, pretty girl the suspects are many and all are suspect in some respect, but only Miss Marple will solve the crime.

Unfortunately, compared to my previous experiences with Miss Marple, this book was a disappointment. The murdered girl was unspectacular, the characters were all somewhat unspectacular, and the way everything came together would have me interested
Kirstine
While reading this I had no effing clue who to suspect or what had actually happened. So that was very well done, one of the more intriguing mysteries, especially because it involves some of Jane's old friends, so you know they can hardly be suspects, but then how the hell did they end up with a body in their library?

It actually starts with one of the greatest opening chapters, where the husband of the house doesn't believe there's actually a body in the library, because that doesn't happen in r
Fiona
Zu diesem Buch kann ich eigentlich nicht viel sagen. Wer Miss Marple mag, wird dieses Buch mögen. Es ist ein klassischer Fall, sehr mysteriös, verstrickt und Miss Marple hat natürlich sofort eine Spur. Man konnte ab einem gewissen Punkt recht schnell darauf kommen, wie der Fall zusammenhängt, trotzdem hat es Spaß gemacht bis zum Ende zu warten und die Auflösung zu lesen.
ChiaraRouge
Il primo giallo di Agatha Christie che leggo e l'ho amato (e divorato!)
Bello, intrigante, per nulla scontato e ben scritto, cercando di capire chi fosse l'assassino ho accusato tutti i personaggi del libro (anche se poi era realmente la prima persona a cui ho pensato).
Una lettura veloce e intrigante, perfetta per l'estate. Sicuramente non sarà l'ultimo libro della Christie che leggo.
Yvensong
Classic Agatha Christie mystery starring Miss Marple, a sweet, unassuming elder who is very observant and known to be of great help solving mysteries. This starts with a great setup -- a young woman's body has been found in the library of a very well-to-do household, yet, no one there seems to know know who she is. (I *love* the description of the library! I would love to have a library like this one!)
ثامر الحمدان
فتاة وجدت مقتولة في مكتبة عائلة بانتري الذين يزعمون أنهم لم يروها من قبل !
رواية تبدأ إثارتها في نصفها الأخير ونهاية غير متوقعة كعادة أجاثا كريستي
Ririn
My second Miss Marple.

This time we can see Miss Marple getting more active role in the investigation, compared to the first one where she was only monitoring everything from her own garden!

A light reading for a mystery novel, but excellent nonetheless. Miss Marple using her expertise in human behavioral and her unique source of investigation - the village gossip - to put things together and come to the right conclusion. Cozy, but still beat me in every turn!
Susan
I don't remember many details about this story, except that it was entertaining enough to distract me from increasingly sharp labor pains during the very early hours of June 18, 1987!
Myonlycookie
I'm feeling a little torn with this one. It's Agatha Christie, so I love her easy and clever writing style. I liked this mystery and its solution well enough, but I felt it was a little convoluted.

Basic premise: Mysterious body in a library. Christie deliberately chose a stereotypical murder set up. I really like the idea of experimenting with this.

This was my first Miss Marple book. I've read a bunch of Poirot, and seen the Marple TV series. I'm curious as to if all the Marple books bounce bac
Cheryl Kennedy
A Miss Marple mystery by Agatha Christie, THE BODY IN THE LIBRARY grabs you from the beginning when a young woman's body is found in the library of Colonel and Mrs. Bantry, wealthy, upright citizens of St. Mary Mead. To squelch the town gossip and to enjoy the investigation into the only murder that will happen in her home, Mrs. Bantry calls on her friend, Jane Marple to solve the mystery and save her husband's reputation.

Agatha Christie is not a linear writer, as any reader of her more than ei
Tali
I gave this Miss Marple novel (the last of this series for me to read) three stars, although really I would've preferred if there was a 3.5 star option.
The plotline is interesting and the original concept is neatly set up - a body is found in the library of a young girl who the house owners don't recognise - but there's something about some of the characters that irritated me. Miss Marple is the same as she ever is and I still liked the Bantrys (the homeowners) and the rest of the residents of
Maxine Mathew
The people of St. Mary Mead get hold of some juicy gossip when a body of an unknown young blonde woman is found in the library of the respectable Bantrys. As the suspicion falls on Colonel Bantry, Mrs. Bantry calls on Miss Marple to help solve this perplexing case. Investigations performed by Colonel Melchett and Inspector Slack of Radfordshire force lead them to the rich invalid, Conway Jefferson. With the inclusion of Conway Jefferson in the case, the investigation spans to The Majestic Hotel ...more
Tim
I have never read Agatha Christie which is a bit surprising since I read so much. It’s also a bit surprising since I have seen and enjoyed plays, movies and television series based on her work since I was a kid. And finally it’s probably most surprising since my partner has been a life long fan…to the tune of collecting several editions of some of her books (some of the covers are not to be missed—apparently Christie hated most of them). I thought, I’d try listening to one & he suggested “Th ...more
Jenni Lou
Agatha Christie‘s The Body in the Library, published in 1942, is a light read, but sprinkled with a variety of unlikable characters, most which can be considered suspects. They are greedy, or indifferent about the murder of the poor young woman found dead in the library of Mr. & Mrs. Bantry.

The story flip-flops between characters. For awhile we follow the Inspector and then we will follow Miss Marple and/or Miss Bantry. This back and forth isn’t necessarily jarring but it seems to slow the a
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
Miss Marple's friends, Colonel and Mrs. Bantry, awake one morning to a horrible discovery in their Library - the body of a young blonde woman. She is soon identified as Ruby Keene, a dancer and Bridge hostess from a nearby hotel. Mrs. Bantry asks for Jane's help before the wagging tongues in St. Mary Mead socially castigate the old soldier. Also the Police are interested in the old spinster's thoughts on the murder, especially after iit is learned that an invalid older gentleman staying at the m ...more
Bill Meehan
Easy, quick, and fun read! Agatha Christie is perfect when searching for an easy and enjoyable story.
This story was hard to put down, quite funny at times, and had interesting characters.
I had the pleasure also of reading this from a 1947 Collins Crime Club paperback. Great antique advertisements on the inside and back cover.
Tami (synchro from BL)
Very good classic crime story. Miss Marple is a great character and very different in the books than the picture I have in mind from the numerous movie versions.

The plot was well-thought out and had a surprising twist at the end - in retrospective, like always with Mrs Christie, it all made perfect sense.
Jenny
Nice earlier Christie: well-paced, well-written, intriguing, suspenseful. Everything mattered to the plot, and everything led up to the climax. I was sort of surprised by the revelation at the end especially one aspect of it that I definitely didn't see coming. This isn't my favorite Christie, but it's definitely up there!
The Agatha Christ...: April 2014: The Body in the Library 12 35 May 01, 2015 06:06PM
2015 Reading Chal...: A Body in the Library by Agatha Christie 1 16 Feb 27, 2015 07:51PM
Klub Buku Sel-Sel...: Januari 2015 - Mayat Dalam Perpustakaan 5 16 Feb 06, 2015 05:15PM
Literary Adventure : The Body in the Library by Agatha Christie 2 7 Jun 23, 2014 10:26AM
Adding to Bookshelves 12 39 Jun 17, 2014 01:17PM
Agatha Christie L...: December 2013 - The Body in the Library 43 119 Apr 24, 2014 01:11PM
Mystery 21 121 Dec 10, 2013 03:46PM
  • Clouds of Witness (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #2)
  • Vintage Murder (Roderick Alleyn, #5)
  • They Found Him Dead (Inspector Hannasyde, #3)
  • The Franchise Affair (Inspector Alan Grant, #3)
  • Gambit (Nero Wolfe, #37)

Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller was born in Torquay, Devon, England, U.K., as the youngest of three. The Millers had two other children: Margaret Frary Miller (1879–1950), called Madge, who was eleven years Agatha's senior, and Louis Montant Miller (1880
More about Agatha Christie...

Miss Marple (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1)
  • The Thirteen Problems (Miss Marple, #2)
  • The Moving Finger (Miss Marple, #4)
  • A Murder Is Announced (Miss Marple, #5)
  • They Do It with Mirrors (Miss Marple, #6)
  • A Pocket Full of Rye (Miss Marple, #7)
  • 4:50 from Paddington (Miss Marple, #8)
  • The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side (Miss Marple, #9)
  • A Caribbean Mystery (Miss Marple, #10)
  • At Bertram's Hotel (Miss Marple, #11)
And Then There Were None Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1) Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1) The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)

“What I feel is that if one has got to have a murder actually happening in one's house, one might as well enjoy it, if you know what I mean.” 18 likes
“Downstairs in the lounge, by the third pillar from the left, there sits an old lady with a sweet, placid, spinsterish face and a mind that has plumbed the depths of human iniquity and taken it all as in the day's work....where crime is concerned, she's the goods.” 12 likes