The Hanging Tree

The Hanging Tree

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The stories in this book consolidate Dorothy M. Johnson's reputation for authenticity and artistic integrity. 'Lost Sister' is based on the recapture of Cynthia Ann Parker, a white woman abducted by the Comanche Indians. 'The Man Who Knew the Buckskin Kid' tells of two married people and an outlaw who share a secret. Fully as arresting are 'The Last Boast', 'Journal of Adv...more
Mass Market Paperback, 0 pages
Published November 12th 1985 by Ballantine Books (first published August 12th 1970)

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtryTrue Grit by Charles PortisBlood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthyBury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee BrownNo Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy
Best Westerns
161st out of 494 books — 613 voters

More lists with this book...

James Thane
This collection of stories by Dorothy M. Johnson takes its title from the novella that opens the book. Set in the early 1860s in a rough and tumble Montana mining camp named Skull Creek, the story opens when Dr. Joseph Frail rides into town. Frail is clearly a haunted man with a mysterious past involving a fire and a dead wife.

Shortly after arriving in town, Doc Frail saves the life of a young sluice robber named Rune. Frail initially hides the boy while treating his wound and then forces him to...more
Ron
The movie based on this novella would have you believe it’s mainly a story about a mining camp doctor (played by Gary Cooper). However, in her original version, Dorothy Johnson develops more fully the character of Elizabeth, the “lost lady,” who is brought to him for care.

Like Rance Foster, in “The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance,” she is a newcomer in the West, whose introduction to the frontier is violent and shattering. Each is the victim of a stagecoach holdup. Elizabeth’s father is killed, and...more
Elisabeth
I previously read the title story, "The Hanging Tree," as well as "Lost Sister" in another collection which I reviewed here. The eight other stories that accompany them in this collection are every bit as good. Flawlessly written, gripping and entertaining. One thing I really love about Johnson is how adept she is at portraying a variety of different characters and viewpoints. In this collection alone she writes from male, female, adult and child's perspective—and very nearly mixes all four in "...more
Randy
A fine collection of western stories by a writer people may be more familiar with than they know. Several of her tales have been made into movies; THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE, A MAN CALLED HORSE, and THE HANGING TREE.

She won the Spur Award for best short story for LOST SISTER, the first entry in the book. THE HANGING TREE takes up almost half the book, more of a short novel.

Not a bad story in the bunch.
José María Nebreda
Es una verdadera gozada leer estos cuentos de "indios y vaqueros". Los disfruto cual cerdo en su cochiquera. Me gustan todos, pero me he divertido mucho con "Bandido improvisado" o "El hombre que conoció a Buckskin Kid". Buenísimos "La hermana perdida", "El regalo junto a la carreta" y, claro, "El árbol del ahorcado".
Kristin
Amazing depth to the characters in such short stories and a fair-handedness to all the characters that I'm not used to expecting from westerns. Very very glad that I heard about this author on a little Montana history bit on the radio and decided to check her out.
Emily Mellow
I was not super into these stories, and since it was Jan's book I gave it back to her so she can read it to the kids if she wants. We only read the first couple of stories. They were interesting, but not my thing.
Trey Patton
5 for "The Last Boast"
Javier
Javier marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Nick Lugo
Nick Lugo marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Daryl Mitz
Daryl Mitz marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Jill
Jill added it
May 06, 2014
Val
Val added it
Apr 06, 2014
Carlos
Carlos marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Gmnaeem
Gmnaeem marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Karou!
Karou! added it
Jan 12, 2014
Benjamin Grullo
Benjamin Grullo marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Nicole Draven
Nicole Draven marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Wickstrom
Wickstrom marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Rebbie Jones wale
Rebbie Jones wale marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2013
Alberto Martín de Hijas
Alberto Martín de Hijas marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance: And a Man Called Horse, the Hanging Tree, and Lost Sister The Bedside Book of Bastards Buffalo Woman The Bloody Bozeman: The Perilous Trail to Montana's Gold Man Called Horse (Originally: Indian Country)