Start by marking “The Daily Writer: 366 Meditations To Cultivate A Productive And Meaningful Writing Life” as Want to Read:

Make Writing a Part of Your Daily Routine

It isn't always easy to carve out time to devote meaningful thought and energy to your writing. Hectic schedules, distractions, and creative blocks all too often interrupt the dream - postpone it for another day.

But with 366 provocative entries - each addressing a specific facet of the writing craft, and accompanied by an in-depth r
Published October 24th 2008 by Writer's Digest Books

To ask other readers questions about The Daily Writer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Daily Writer

The Intellectual Devotional by David S. KidderThe Intellectual Devotional Biographies by David S. KidderPoem a Day, Vol. 1 by Nicholas AlberySimple Abundance by Sarah Ban BreathnachThe Intellectual Devotional by David S. Kidder
Secular Daily Readings
17th out of 29 books — 11 voters
Self-Publishing In the Eye of the Storm by Karl WigginsHow to Format Your Book by Dorothy May Mercer2003 - Thanks for the Vodka by HarpieThe Writer's Idea Book by Jack HeffronWriting 21st Century Fiction by Donald Maass
Writing Self-Help
23rd out of 29 books — 42 voters

More lists with this book...

Nytetyger
Feb 13, 2009 Nytetyger rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009-challenge
It was an interesting read, but the author is more aimed at the type of writer who has unlimited time to do some of the DAILY multi-page exercises offered. Some of the insights were great, and some of the daily prompts interesting to contemplate and even complete, but if I had the time to write 5 page essays on the motivations of all the main heroes and villains in what I am currently working on, I'd be doing it. What I had hoped this would be, mainly daily prompts for the days when you are stuc ...more
Adrienne
Mar 11, 2015 Adrienne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
This was a pleasant read with a short entry-a-day style which was perfect for my difficulty in focusing as of late. It also had some really great ideas for me to step up my writing, and it also opened my eyes to the fact that it's okay to have several works-in-progress, that you don't have to be completely dedicated to one manuscript and ignore the others until one is done. I filled the book with post-it-note tabs so I can refer back to my favorite passages and most inspiring entries. Great book ...more
Mike Shaw
Mar 09, 2015 Mike Shaw rated it it was amazing
I have owned The Daily Writer for over a year.I continue to learn about the skill sets of writing and authors style and mindset.Recently I have taken the day to day work to heart.There is a lot to learn about life,even without the writing instruction.My mornings are spent with The Daily Writer and The Free Dictionary.Combined,I have plenty of material to practice.Encouragement is the word that sreams to me,everyday I delve into The Daily Writer.
Vanessa
Mar 05, 2009 Vanessa rated it liked it
This is sitting next to our coffee machine at work, and so every day, when I go get my afternoon java, I read a page of it while it's brewing. This, like many things of its type, has meditations that are more helpful than others, but that lies inasmuch in its universal inclusion as it does in the book itself-- in other words, there's something for everyone, but not everything is for everyone. Clear as mud? Great!

In any case, it has useful ideas, and it certainly gets me thinking -- one of the me
Mary Brace
Feb 21, 2016 Mary Brace rated it really liked it
Short little daily reads about writing. Some I liked, some just made me shrug my shoulders because I felt they didn't pertain to me. Others may find what I didn't like useful though. I found some very good quotes.
Melodie
I feel that this book could be very useful to a young person, say around age 12. I mean no disrespect when I say this. But having done so, I also feel that if you need this kind of advice as a grown-ass human, then whether or not you're motivated to write is the least of your problems.
Samantha Wade
Feb 21, 2013 Samantha Wade is currently reading it
I'm taking this book a little at a time. Unfortunately, I don't have the time of day to write as much as it suggests. I make time to write as much as possible, but I can't do one exercise a day. I also didn't start January 1st as it suggests, and it includes February 29th for a leap year. I really don't know if they author really expects the readers to follow it like this, but I certainly don't, and I'm loving it anyway. It exercises the writer to work in different forms and techniques, but stil ...more
Debbie Dadey
Sep 12, 2014 Debbie Dadey rated it liked it
Has some great ideas.
emm
Jul 27, 2016 emm rated it it was ok
I discovered this at the library earlier and decided to give it a try. It's a day to day style (which I like ). I began on July 12 and it suggests to read your writing out loud... I look forward to July 12, 2016 to see what I've accomplished.

I gave this book two stars because I did not keep up with it and not because it was bad. I just kept missing days and towards the end I realized this was not the writer's aide for me... I honestly accomplished nothing with this book and that's because I coul
Nanako Mizushima
Jun 12, 2014 Nanako Mizushima rated it it was amazing
I definitely recommend this little book to anyone who is serious about writing. Keep it by your bed and read it first thing in the morning to get your writing brain started. I've enjoyed all of the "meditations".
Amanda
May 26, 2015 Amanda marked it as to-read

I think this book does a great Jon at giving useful and creative prompts to hone your writing skills. I would Say it would probably be more useful if you are writing fiction. As someone who only recently delved into fiction writing after doing grant and research writing for so long, it's really been a spark of creativity.
Julie
May 20, 2009 Julie rated it it was amazing
If you like learning something new every day, this is the book for you. It's geared towards writers, but any creative soul would probably really like the daily reflections and 'try this' portions.
If you are a writer, one who wants to hone their skills, you'll probably have a hard time only reading one page a day!
Tammy Hopkinson
Dec 04, 2012 Tammy Hopkinson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: educational
I love this book because it allows your creative side to come out. It allows your mind to work and bring what you think alive into a mind blowing story that adds excitement to anything that you may write. My sister gave this to me last Christmas, and I truly enjoy everything about this book.
Melissa
Jan 15, 2010 Melissa is currently reading it
I love, love, love this book! Wonderful meditations and inspirations on "the writing life." I began reading it in July, so started on page 192, for July 8. Now I'm circling back around to the beginning ... page 17, for January 15.
 ★ jazz ★
Got hints and insights and have a whole bunch of notes to being a writer and for all types of writing that has been helpful.
Stacy Renee
Oct 24, 2011 Stacy Renee rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
If you have the time to write at least once a day for a year, this book is actually very helpful in building your writing skill.
Ketutar Jensen
Aug 17, 2010 Ketutar Jensen marked it as to-read
Found in Gail's book shelf, went to Amazon to see what it is and found it interesting. It's now on my wishlist :-)
Lori
May 02, 2009 Lori marked it as to-read
I will need to put in an ILL for this book or request it to purchase for the library. :)
Lauren
Mar 03, 2010 Lauren is currently reading it
Helpful, even if you don't do the exercises. Helps seat me in the "writing mode."
Lisa J
Feb 12, 2012 Lisa J rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference, writing
Beside the computer, for inspiration. Is being constantly read.
David Roberts
Feb 27, 2013 David Roberts rated it really liked it
Stimulating and educational, great for new writers (like me)...
Robin
Apr 05, 2009 Robin marked it as reference-devotionals
Will be reading this throughout the year.
William
Dec 31, 2011 William rated it it was amazing
Good book for prompts.
Anne Marshall
Sep 01, 2012 Anne Marshall rated it did not like it
Shelves: writing
Didn't finish
Bruce Smith
Bruce Smith marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Annastasia Zellars
Annastasia Zellars marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
rafaartstudio
rafaartstudio rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2016
Sabina
Sabina marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Ginny
Ginny marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
  • The Pocket Muse: Ideas and Inspirations for Writing
  • The Write-Brain Workbook
  • 4 A.M. Breakthrough: Unconventional Writing Exercises That Transform Your Fiction
  • Page After Page: Discover the Confidence & Passion You Need to Start Writing & Keep Writing (No Matter What!)
  • One Year to a Writing Life: Twelve Lessons to Deepen Every Writer's Art and Craft
  • The Writer's Idea Book
  • Walking on Alligators: A Book of Meditations for Writers
  • Naming the World: And Other Exercises for the Creative Writer
  • The Writer's Guide to Character Traits: Includes Profiles of Human Behaviors and Personality Types
  • The Tao of Writing: Imagine. Create. Flow
  • The Complete Handbook Of Novel Writing: Everything You Need To Know About Creating & Selling Your Work (Writers Digest)
  • A Writer's Book of Days: A Spirited Companion and Lively Muse for the Writing Life
  • Writers Book of Matches: 1,001 Prompts to Ignite Your Fiction
  • 20 Master Plots: And How to Build Them
  • Now Write!: Fiction Writing Exercises from Today's Best Writers and Teachers
  • The 101 Habits of Highly Successful Novelists: Insider Secrets from Top Writers
  • Write Is a Verb: Sit Down, Start Writing, No Excuses