Start by marking “Mum's the Word (A Flower Shop Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mum's the Word (A Flower Shop Mystery, #1)

Mum's the Word (A Flower Shop Mystery #1)

3.77  ·  Rating Details ·  4,261 Ratings  ·  311 Reviews
Abby Knight is the proud owner of her hometown flower shop, but a new low-cost competitor is killing her profits-and a black SUV just rammed her vintage Corvette in a hit-and-run. She's determined to track down the driver, but when the trail turns deadly, the next flower arrangement might be for her own funeral.
Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Published November 2nd 2004 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about Mum's the Word, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mum's the Word

CJ - It's only a Paper Moon
I was excited to start this book and had it on my wishlist for awhile. I finally got the chance to get it and within the first twenty pages I was happy that I got it for free.

Abby Knight is a meddler and an annoying one at that. She is to put it simply, TSTL. Going into dangerous situations with no back up, no training and paying no attention to her personal safety Abby is the type of character that should be dead but due to luck is not. That in and of itself is not the issue, lots of cozies are
Ana T.
Jan 20, 2008 Ana T. rated it it was ok
Ever since I joined CozyMystery I've been trying new authors. The genre really appeals to me and every month we're supposed to read and discuss a book. This month it was my choice and I decided on an author I had never tried.

So maybe Abby’s life isn’t the bed of roses she was hoping it would be. She adores her little flower shop, BLOOMERS, but a new low-cost competitor is killing her profits—and a black SUV just rammed her vintage Corvette in a bold hit-and-run. Determined to track down the driv
Dolly
Feb 06, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
This is the first book in A Flower Shop Mystery series by Kate Collins. I discovered this series through the Cozy Mystery Group here on Goodreads. Ms. Collins was the Featured Cozy Author for January 2012 and I thought I would read this book to see if I'd be interested in reading more of the books in this series. (Not that I need another series right now...)

The story involves drugs, flowers, bad clay art, abusing husbands, corrupt cops, stuck up country club snobs, and more. It was a bit of a wh
Chaitra
I wonder why no one killed Abby. Not the villains I mean, but the people who dealt with her on a day to day basis. She's a small redhead with big boobs, and I can see why the men might not want to kill her, but honestly, I can't think of a single reason why the women wouldn't. Or the cat. That's without even considering all the events of this particular book.

Because she's a meddler of the worst sort. Unlike other cozies, where amateurs just happen to be there during trouble or discover a body or
Jonathan
Really I had two problems with this book. One, Abby started off as an intelligent person, but towards the middle of the book she suddenly became really dumb. I mean, a few of the vital clues were directly in front of her face and she didn't even notice them until 30 pages later. It was really frustrating. Secondly, this could be just me, but the story started off with a bang but around page 100 (in my nook edition from Overdrive) it really slowed down and I lost interest for awhile. However, abo ...more
Carrie
Jan 05, 2012 Carrie rated it it was ok
This book, Mum's the Word, is the first in the "Flower Shop" mystery series. Its cover has flattering blurbs written by the authors of the "Dead-End Job" mystery series, and the "Bad Hair Day" mystery series.

It just makes you think...I should write a mystery series like these too! I'll be rich! I just need a good gimmick, something that I know a lot about. I know! I'll write about a Goodreads book reviewer, who solves mysteries by finding clues in other people's book reviews. Now I just need a
Michelle
Jun 24, 2011 Michelle rated it it was ok
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I have to admit, I found Abby slightly annoying. I also wish there had been more development of both Marco (other than the fact that he is hot, a former cop, and now a PI) and Nikki (boy crazy and great roommate). The mystery was alright, but the red herrings were annoying rather than good, and I am not sure I want to spend my money on the next book in the series. Especially if it takes place 3 days later, as it seems to according to the preview in the back.
Oh well, its always good to try somet
Diane Morasco
Abby Knight is an intelligent, engaging character that is wrapped in spark & humor. She is a welcome addition to the amateur sleuth genre.

The mystery genre is saturated w/ writers chomping @ the bit to find their place in a market that many enter but few remain.

Where standouts are few & far between. Trust me. I am a cozy mystery aficionado.

I am picky when it comes to my mysteries. Downright critical actually but Abby Knight shines!

Mum's the Word kicks off the first of the Flower Shop Mys
Vicki
Oct 01, 2015 Vicki rated it liked it

This was a great cozy mystery and am now on a mission to finish the entire series.

There’s a lot in the series, but that’s ok.

In the debut novel Abby Knight (the main character) is targeted by not only the killer but also the police force. Her dad is an ex cop who got shot in the line of duty. The story follows Abby tracking down who is targeting her, helping a friend out, meddling where she shouldn’t be, trying to figure out who the murderer is all while t
Kavita
Aug 28, 2016 Kavita rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
Sigh. I’m having trouble relating to these silly women who are forever obsessed with their looks and have neither self confidence nor self respect. What woman would blush at having her nose tweaked at the third meeting or have her anger at a wrongful parking ticket simply melt away on being called cute by some fellow she hardly knows.

“I’m small and busty—a terrible combination for any female who has ever had aspirations of being taken seriously.” So the author is making the point that women need
Text Addict
I kept trying to read this, but it's just not doing it for me. I'm totally not connecting with the protagonist - I think in part because one of the things I look for is a strong connection between the amateur sleuth and their vocation or avocation, which I'm not detecting here. That is, Abby owns a florist shop, but other than being happy about owning it and worrying about not getting enough business, she doesn't act like flower arranging is an art form that she enjoys and strives to perfect.

Sh
Pooch
Aug 02, 2010 Pooch rated it did not like it
Hoping to find another cozy mystery series to enjoy, I read MUM'S THE WORD by Kate Collins, her first effort in "A Flower Shop Mystery" series. It seemed like a series I would enjoy. It isn't. The story line is unbelievable,OK enough for a cozy. The characters are varied with the requisite personality types...check. The writing. That's the weak point. The story is padded with so much repetition that it becomes a distraction. Once we know that Abby's flaming red hair is instantly recognizable and ...more
Jan 18, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
The first in the Flower Shop mystery series.

I thought this was a really good start-up book for a series. I often feel like you have to get past the first book to really enjoy a series - as the first book has to acquaint you with the main character - their friends - the townspeople - the victim of the crime...... Once that is out of the way the books can get more focused on plot rather than all the set up. So when I read a first book in a series and enjoy it - I know I will be hooked.

I thought
Grey853
Apr 16, 2010 Grey853 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, cozy
I won't be looking up other books in the series. This one has a lead character who is really foolhardy and rather silly. Barely a two star read.
Sherri Hunter
Feb 28, 2010 Sherri Hunter rated it did not like it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Couldn't hold my interest
C.
Aug 21, 2016 C. rated it it was ok
I bought nine from this series! I sweated over a writing style that didn't impress me: placing attention on Abigail's hair, instead of emotions.... but I am against bailing-out on books. An unfinished journey is a severer waste. Dissatisfying, compared to skipping a few hours of content and it isn't right to rate a book one did not finish. I did and am free. This novel and protagonist were enjoyable. I praise Kate Collins's (Linda Tsoutsouris's) free-flowing dialogue and humour. I am kind, alway ...more
Min
Nov 20, 2010 Min rated it really liked it
This is the first book in The Flower Shop Mystery Series, and I was turned on to these books by the "Mystery Book Talk" group on Ravelry (a knitting/crocheting site). It's your basic cosy, starring Abby, a law school dropout-turned-florist. She owns Bloomers, a local flower shop, competing with a new, larger discount flower shop who has just moved into the neighbourhood. She isn't a trained detective or PI, although her friends accuse her of being a chronic meddler.

This story starts out with her
Luffy
Mar 07, 2016 Luffy rated it really liked it
Abby Knight is a florist who moonlights as what in a saner universe would be termed as dead meat. The book took a while to get going and I wasn't immediately sold on the style of the story but gradually I warmed up to the main character. For such a good book, it's surprising that the other characters weren't fleshed out. But such is the predicament of the heroine that her troubles make for an empathy ridden read.

As cozy mysteries go, this one was pretty dark. At least in my book it is. In many
Marilyn
Jul 14, 2012 Marilyn rated it did not like it
Jo
Jun 15, 2009 Jo rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, cozy-mystery
Abby Knight owns Bloomers, a flower shop in her hometown of Indiana. Due to her brief venture into law school before dropping out, people like to come to Abby for advice and Abby, who has a strong nose for injustice thanks to her ex-cop father, just can't say no when it comes to helping people.

I wasn't expecting to like this book as much as I did but it had everything necessary for a great cozy mystery: an engaging mystery that kept me interested and guessing right until the end, a set of quirky
Dlora
Apr 04, 2016 Dlora rated it it was ok
Shelves: murder-mystery
A cozy murder mystery with a florist setting but there wasn't all that much about flowers. Main character Abby Knight is short, busty, feisty, and an incurable "meddler," which allows the plot to move forward. The story opens with her beloved 'vette being bashed in a hit and run right in front of her eyes and she is determined to find out who did it, even if it develops that it is tied into a murder and the suspect is connected to a powerful, vindictive commissioner. She isn't so smart in tracki ...more
Babs
Feb 06, 2015 Babs rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes mysteries
I personally thought this book was wonderful. Abby the main character is a hoot with her meddling. Marco who tries to help her with her hit and run that leads to more is starting to look pretty good to her and he makes the whole story a funny and interesting read.
Becky Grove
Sep 01, 2016 Becky Grove rated it really liked it
Can't wait to read the next in this series!
Eileen
Indiana
Abby was a little too Abby the annoying as opposed to Abby the amateur detective for me. She behaved foolishly, took too many unnecessary risks, ignored danger signals and warnings from multiple sources. Seemingly caring nothing for her personal safety. All based on scant motivation other than her nosiness.
I repeatedly wondered why she would keep driving a car that's been targeted like her corvette? Leave it at the garage, get a ride to work for goodness sake. (view spoiler)
Erin L
Nov 22, 2016 Erin L rated it really liked it
Review of the audiobook.

This is actually a pretty good first book in a series. I liked the characters and the author mingles plot and character development quite well.

I liked Abby as the main character and didn't really think she was too stupid to live (this happens all too often in cozy series). The love interest(s) seem good as well and I look forward to seeing how things develop.

Glad I started this series. (Not another series!)
Lisa Thomas
Dec 03, 2016 Lisa Thomas rated it it was ok
Was interested in the book due to the Hallmark movies. Love the movies and like that an older character is a love heroine. In the book, it is completely different. Love the movie, like the book. Too many differences.
Brenda
Dec 12, 2016 Brenda rated it liked it
I had high hopes for this one, but I found Abby to be way too noisy. I enjoy cozy mysteries that the crime or mystery just sort of happens to the main character, but Abby seemed to go out of her way to snoop and be involved.
Star
Dec 08, 2016 Star rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book and will be making sure to continue with this series as well. I really like Abby, she is spunky. And then like Grace and Lottie too. Kate Collins did really good on character development and makes me want to spend more time with them as well.

I give it an A+ or 5 stars.
Luanne Castle
Dec 17, 2016 Luanne Castle rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
An engaging mystery plus romance with humor and a variety of intriguing characters. One thing to note: I love the character of the cat Simon, but his habit of playing with rubber bands is dangerous--and he shouldn't be drinking milk which is bad for cats.
Stephanie
Dec 28, 2016 Stephanie rated it liked it
OK, but VERY predictable. Would continue with the series if desperate for something to read...
  • Pick Your Poison (A Yellow Rose Mystery, #1)
  • The Diva Runs Out of Thyme (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #1)
  • Cooking Up Murder (A Cooking Class Mystery, #1)
  • I Scream, You Scream (A Mystery A La Mode, #1)
  • This Pen for Hire (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #1)
  • Sprinkle with Murder (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #1)
  • Murder is Binding (Booktown Mystery, #1)
  • Sew Deadly (A Southern Sewing Circle, #1)
  • The Missing Ink (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Murder 101 (A Murder 101 Mystery, #1)
  • Glazed Murder (Donut Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Steamed (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #1)
  • The Quick and the Thread (An Embroidery Mystery, #1)
  • Buzz Off (Queen Bee, #1)
  • Tressed to Kill (Southern Beauty Shop, #1)
  • A Killer Plot (A Books by the Bay Mystery #1)
  • How to Host a Killer Party (Party Planning, #1)
  • Sit, Stay, Slay (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #1)
Indiana native and former teacher Kate Collins is the author of the New York Times best-selling Flower Shop Mysteries, featuring feisty florist Abby Knight and the zany crew at Bloomers. Her books have made the New York Times Best-seller's list, Barnes & Noble mass bestsellers lists, the Independent Booksellers lists, and are available in large print editions in the U.S. and the UK.

The Flower
More about Kate Collins...

A Flower Shop Mystery (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Slay It with Flowers (A Flower Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Dearly Depotted (A Flower Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Snipped in the Bud (A Flower Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Acts of Violets (A Flower Shop Mystery, #5)
  • A Rose from the Dead (A Flower Shop Mysteries, #6)
  • Shoots to Kill (A Flower Shop Mystery, #7)
  • Evil in Carnations (A Flower Shop Mystery, #8)
  • Sleeping With Anemone (A Flower Shop Mystery, #9)
  • Dirty Rotten Tendrils (A Flower Shop Mystery, #10)
  • Night of the Living Dandelion (A Flower Shop Mystery, #11)