Start by marking “What It Takes to Be Number One: Vince Lombardi on Leadership” as Want to Read:
What It Takes to Be Number One: Vince Lombardi on Leadership

What It Takes to Be Number One: Vince Lombardi on Leadership

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  215 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Legendary leadership lessons from the greatest football coach of all time

Leadership continues to be one of the most trained-for skills in business today. And no figure so fully embodies the leadership qualities managers hope to cultivate in their professional and personal lives than Vince Lombardi, the greatest NFL coach of all time.

In "What It Takes to Be #1," author Vinc
Published September 12th 2003 by McGraw-Hill Companies (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about What It Takes to Be Number One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What It Takes to Be Number One

David Glad
This was a decent quick book by his son (not really junior given a different middle name, but called himself such to avoid confusion) and he is right that his father's legacy does shine over people who were born well after he died. From all accounts, he would have been an excellent influence on all those who knew him.

Many good lines in this book, including:
The Jesuits believed that humans could perfect themselves through hard work and dedication to excellence, principles that guided Lombardi for
Michael Watson
This book opened my eyes on what it takes to be a leader and how to achieve success. If you want to be the greatest at your game you have to dedicate yourself to that cause and let nothing get in your way. To achieve greatness mental attitude and the will to do anything are always going to have to be better than the competition.
Dante
What it takes to be number one By: Vince Lombardi and Vince Lombardi jr.. what does it take to be number 1? Winner of five championships and super bowl one and two. Green bay Packers coach Vince Lombardi, no single name in football history communicates with such strong visions, disipline,commitment, and of coursewinning. his secrets to winning are very well written in this book. What it Takes To Be Number One is based on Vince's most famous speech and provides a game plan for you to be a winner ...more
Roberto
Excellent read full of quotes and ideas to help you discover the leader within you. The book is actually by Lombardi's son, however there are plenty quotes from his father. This is a quick read, that engages your thinking power from the beginning, and helps you set a course of action throughout the book. After reading it I feel empowered that I too can become a successful leader, whether be in my organization, community, family, etc.
Bob Wallner
I'm not sure really what I was expecting with this Audiobook. I found it very difficult to keep my attention. The narrator was good, the content was good, I learned a little bit. I liked the commentary on Winning isn't everything It's the only thing.

Maybe I was just expecting more of a biography or more in Lombardi's own words. Or maybe it was just "good".

It's short so it may warrant a relisten down the road.

The Scrivener's Quill
There is a lot of great information in here and plenty of quotes by the father. The son however made this book a bit longer than it needed to be apparently using his dad as far as he could. I could say this in other less admiring ways, but I don't get the impression that the son is overtly exploiting his father. It just starts to happen towards the end, or at least that is how it feels.
Brian
Wish it was longer..But what I learned from this quick read is "Continuous Renewal". That is to say that every day from the day that you identify your goal, or what it is you want to strive for you should be taking steps in that direction...renewing the path and keeping your eyes focused to what you want....every day.
Maggie
This was an interesting book about leadership and the great Vince Lombardi. This book mainly talked about leadership qualities and tips to becoming a good leader. If you want to read a book about Vince Lombardi I would suggest finding his autobiography instead of this book.
Sharice
great book. I like when he writes Lombardi believed in No excuses. His three steps for building accountability were: 1. Let players know exactly what is expected of them (paint the picture). 2. Give them the tools to succeed And 3. Get out of their way.
Sandra
Filled with great leadership insights and great stories about how an ordinary coach excelled while others haven't. I really like Lombardi Jr's style of writing. It's a layman's look at football leadership. Worth the read if you are into leadership.
Malinda F.
This is a favorite I come back to each year. It is written by Vince Lombardi, Jr. and weaves Vince Lombari's story through the filter of his great leadership skills and principles.
Jack
Written by Vince Jr. Still good insight into his father's ideals, drive and success, but would have been better if it could have been written by the man himself.
Sarah Senft
I loved this book!! I hought it was very interesting to read about his life. I hope my life will be half as good as his but, I don't want to die young.
Troy Kuhn
Ok book that is an interpretation of the great Lombardi's son. Not the way I would expect to get things if written by the football guru himself
Michelle
Great book on leadership principles. And if you're a sports fan, you'll get something out of it too. Who doesn't love Vince Lombardi? :)
Linda
I thought this was going to be a book about football, but it was so much more. A great book on leadership.
Amy
This was one of the last books I read in school. I still have, and remember it. It is great for leadership.
DaraB
Work Book. Contains Lombardi's famous speech and other anecdotes.
Aimee
Great book on leadership and winning! It is also a quick easy read.
Rachel
A good read about leadership and different styles.
Becks
It was alright, not what I was hoping for.
Lorilewis
Inspiring. Must read book for leaders.
Desi herrera
Jan 31, 2008 Desi herrera rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: sports fans
Very sport specific. Motivational
Tanner Rust
Tanner Rust marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Steve Edmunds
Steve Edmunds marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Lacy Lovett
Lacy Lovett marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
  • Success Is a Choice: Ten Steps to Overachieving in Business and Life
  • Robert E. Lee on Leadership: Executive Lessons in Character, Courage, and Vision
  • Attitude Is Everything: Change Your Attitude...and You Change Your Life!
  • The Score Takes Care of Itself: My Philosophy of Leadership
  • Little Green Book of Getting Your Way: How to Speak, Write, Present, Persuade, Influence, and Sell Your Point of View to Others
  • When You Come to a Fork in the Road, Take It!: Inspiration and Wisdom from One of Baseball's Greatest Heroes
  • How Great Generals Win
  • One Soldier's Story: A Memoir
  • The 17 Essential Qualities of a Team Player: Becoming the Kind of Person Every Team Wants
  • Positive Words, Powerful Results: Simple Ways to Honor, Affirm, and Celebrate Life
  • 8 Attributes of Great Achievers
  • I Wonder as I Wander: An Autobiographical Journey
  • Wooden on Leadership: How to Create a Winning Organizaion
  • The Next Millionaires
  • The Return of the Ragpicker
  • Napoleon Hill's Keys to Positive Thinking: 10 Steps to Health, Wealth, and Success
  • The One Minute Entrepreneur: The Secret to Creating and Sustaining a Successful Business
  • Real Influence: Persuade Without Pushing and Gain Without Giving In
The Lombardi Rules: Twenty-Six Lessons from Vince Lombardi--The World's Greatest Coach Run to Daylight! The Essential Vince Lombardi Winning Is A Habit: Vince Lombardi on Winning, Success, and the Pursuit of Excellence Vince Lombardi on Football