Start by marking “The Knight and the Dragon” as Want to Read:
The Knight and the Dragon

The Knight and the Dragon

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,116 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
What happens when a sheepish knight and a not-so-fierce dragon fight for the very first time? Well, it?s no ordinary battle since the knight has to go to the castle library to learn about dragon-fighting and the dragon must dig through his ancestor?s things to find out how to fight a knight!?Spontaneity of line and feeling are backed by zesty colors and a jovial, tongue-in ...more
Published February 2nd 1998 by Puffin Books (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Knight and the Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Knight and the Dragon

The Paper Bag Princess by Robert MunschDragons Love Tacos by Adam RubinIf I Had a Dragon by Tom ElleryA Dignity of Dragons by Jacqueline K. OgburnThere's No Such Thing as a Dragon by Jack Kent
Picture Books About Dragons
10th out of 128 books — 18 voters
Custard the Dragon and the Wicked Knight by Ogden NashLandon and the Dragon by Joy FridmanThe Tale of Custard the Dragon by Ogden NashThe Magical Flight of Dodie Rue by F.C. ShawThe Knight and the Dragon by Tomie dePaola
Dragon Books for Young Readers
5th out of 35 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

Miriam
Nov 19, 2013 Miriam rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, picture, books

What do you do when you need to fight a knight or a dragon but don't know how to go about it?

Obviously!
Evan
Apr 26, 2011 Evan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Item 1: Dragon + Knight + Librarian Princess = Awesome.
Item 2: The solution to most problems in the book is more books.
Item 3: Librarian Princess is the hero.
Item 4: (view spoiler)
Item 5: Tomie dePaola's drawings are adorable.

Conclusion: One of the best picture books ever.
Megan Palasik
Jan 31, 2011 Megan Palasik rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I am a speech-language pathologist and I like to use wordless (or almost wordless) books with my preschoolers sometimes to practice their speech sounds in a conversational context, as well as informally assess their sentence structure and story telling skills.

I first want to say that I love Tomie dePaola's books. His illustrations have a uniqueness about them where they show the story with a couple of extra details, but not so many details that the page is overwhelming and difficult for prescho
Denis A.
Dec 18, 2013 Denis A. rated it it was amazing
Half of the book has narrative and the other half is word-less. I might hold off introducing this one to little ones due to some of the more violent parts. That being said my three year old loves anything to do with dragons, dinosaurs, trucks, power tools, TMNT. But what draws him to the story is the cover that shows the dragon and knight. The part I found a little squeamish was the illustrated page of the knight honing all of his weapons in preparation to fight the dragon. Not anything horrible ...more
Micah Elliott
Jan 05, 2009 Micah Elliott rated it it was amazing
I am so sick of this book! My twin boys have been fascinated with this story for two years now. We are swimming in books here at home, but month after month this one continues to find its way to the evening "cuddle up with a book" time. The lack of words has encouraged a lot of sound effects, and there is just enough animosity between the knight and dragon to make it a little bit scary. Despite the failure at destroying each other, the two ultimately become business partners. The example is suff ...more
Amanda Grooms
Mar 09, 2016 Amanda Grooms rated it it was amazing
Super cute book, and Z loves the illustrations. I enjoy reading this to him, and he loves having it read to him. I love hearing him say "dragon" (he just makes a short, throaty growl). <3
Tory Haberman
Oct 11, 2014 Tory Haberman rated it it was amazing
The Knight and the Dragon by Tomie dePaola is about a knight who never fought a dragon and a dragon who never fought a knight. The knight spent the day reading books on how to fight a dragon in the castle’s library while the dragon rummaged through books in his cave on how to fight a knight passed down from his ancestors. As the knight built his armor and prepared his weapons, the dragon practiced swishing his tail and looking fierce. Once they were both ready, they sent letters to one another a ...more
Tonya Nelson
May 06, 2014 Tonya Nelson rated it liked it
Summary: This book is heavily picture-based, but it is about a knight and a dragon. The knight reads about how to defeat a dragon, and the dragon reads how to take on a knight. They both practice and prepare for the fight against each other, but don’t have too much success. Both parties end up writing letters to the other before they battle. At the end, they join forces to work together to build a BBQ place.

Characteristics to Support Genre: This book takes place in medieval times and contains el
Dawn
May 01, 2014 Dawn rated it it was amazing
The Knight and the Dragon by Tomie dePola is a historical fiction meets fantasy picture book for young readers aged 4-8 years. This story is about a dragon and a knight who have never fought each other before and one day they decided to organize a fight. Both having no experience began researching the matter (Tommie, 1997).
I gave the book five stars because the use of color, themes, plot flow and characters easily captivate young readers. I recommend this text for younger children because of the
Stephanie
Tomie dePaola’s The Knight and the Dragon is about a timid knight and a not fierce dragon. The knight and the dragon want to fight each other but neither know how to. So the knight goes to castle’s library to learn how to fight a dragon and the dragon digs through his ancestor’s things to figure out how to fight a knight. Their fight fails miserably and they end up opening a BBQ restaurant.

The Knight and the Dragon is classified as a fantasy book for several different reasons. The setting is se
Dolly
Sep 21, 2009 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun take on the Dragon vs. Knight tale. I love that they went to the library to learn more about their quest. Our girls really enjoyed this book; we like all of Tomie dePaola's stories.

Nikki
Summary- This is a story of a knight and a dragon, and how they are both getting ready to battle each other for the first time. The knight prepares by reading books about dragons, building armor, and practicing jousting. The dragon gets ready for the fight by looked through his ancestors old things to find information on fighting knights, practice swishing his tail, making angry faces, and breathing fire at a target. After they have prepared they set each other letters setting a date for the fig ...more
Robert
Cute tale of a young knight and a young dragon who prepare to battle each other for no particular reason.
Caitlin O'Connor
This is a fun book for all children. The main characters are a knight and a dragon that both have to figure out what to do to fight each other. The story is made in fun-loving characters and humor, with a resolution that readers wouldn’t expect. This is an exemplary children’s fantasy novel because the setting in imaginary, the dragon has people like abilities as he studies books for his fight, and the plot is full of action and building up excitement for the fight. This book is a twist to the k ...more
Shannon Rackoski
Mar 09, 2016 Shannon Rackoski rated it it was amazing
The Knight and the Dragon is meant for younger readers but is still a great and easy read. The illustrations that are a helpful tool to understanding the story since they pages may not be filled with text, and is left for interpretation. The illustrations look like they were done with colored pencils and although I would not say the lines are messy, they do look like a little kid could draw them. This gives the story a relatable feel to little kids because they can relate to the drawings.
Russell
Jul 05, 2015 Russell rated it liked it
Classic tale of putting aside cultural differences and potential strife from xenophobia to instead capitalize on a burgeoning market that you're poised to enter effectively. Great emphasis on the power of information, hilariously portrayed as books due to the medieval setting of the tale. Books. To learn. How quaint.

(view spoiler)
Joleene Libby
Jun 24, 2015 Joleene Libby rated it it was amazing
What's a knight and dragon to do when neither one of them have fought each other in battle before? Why go to the library of course and take out a book on the subject! This is an extremely amusing book about the steps the knight and dragon take to fight one another and what happens when they meet face to face.

Best Line-
"The dragon practiced swishing his tail."

Lesson Ideas-Prediction, surprise endings, looking at the illustrations, research, fairytales
Linda
May 27, 2008 Linda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
There is a knight who has never fought a dragon and a dragon who has never fought a knight. Both set out to learn as much as they can about their respective tasks. De Paola shows their step by step learning process with side by side illustrations comparing their results. His illustrations as always are cute and charming and the story is endearing. Pre K and K.

From Booklist:
"What happens when a sheepish knight and a not-so-fierce dragon fight for the very first time? Well, it's no ordinary battle
Heidi
I'm not always a fan of dePaola's works. I really don't know why. However, I loved this. Illustrations and story both. I also liked the librarian's role. :-) Probably best as a lap-read or read-aloud, since much is conveyed in the pictures.

4/18/12 I just had to include this in my Adventures! theme storytime. I think I did all right--especially with the huge crowd--in showing what happened in many of the wordless pictures. The kids may have gotten a bit lost because they couldn't examine closely.
Judy
Jan 23, 2016 Judy rated it really liked it
Shelves: pic-books
You have to like this book! Want to learn to fight a dragon? battle a knight? Read books! (Note: This was written in 1980. If it had been written in 2015, would dePaola have had them turn to the internet?) Then, maybe fighting isn't all that much fun. Good thing the lady from the castle has a solution!
Tabitha
Feb 04, 2016 Tabitha rated it it was amazing
I believe this is a fantastic book for practicing imagination and coming up with your own ideas! You could use this as a writing assignment where each student writes the story in their own words for each page that does not have writing or words on it. Hilarious and creative illustrations. Awesome book!
Meghan Hunt
Oct 25, 2012 Meghan Hunt rated it really liked it
Shelves: jp-picture-books
Joseph
Jan 22, 2016 Joseph rated it really liked it
This was a nearly wordless book that explained some things, but I loved how it also left much up to the reader's interpretation. It was adorable that both the knight and dragon trained to defeat each other, but kept having a hard time.
Patricia
Apr 01, 2014 Patricia rated it really liked it
This story of a knight preparing to fight a dragon and of the dragon preparing to fight a knight, is told with great and sweet humor. I love how a librarian maiden sets them both, together, onto a better path of peace and prosperity.
Amy Forrester
Jan 10, 2012 Amy Forrester rated it it was amazing
Recently I put together a knights and princesses themed storytime and rediscovered this book. The illustrations are classic Tomie DePaola. The people are small and round and there’s nothing scary about this dragon. The first half of the book alternates between the knight and dragon. Many of the pages are divided into smaller panels (rather like a comic strip) that show how the knight and dragon are progressing in their studies. The simple text is extremely minimal, some pages are completely word ...more
Ms Threlkeld
Oct 21, 2014 Ms Threlkeld rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A fun story about a dragon and a knight preparing to do battle and the unexpected outcome of the fight. Several of the pages don't have text, making this an excellent book for practicing making inferences.
Walter Walker
May 16, 2016 Walter Walker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I love this book because it motivates kids to go to the library to learn something new. Cute story which will keep the kiddos interested through the whole book. I recommend for all ages.
Aug 27, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a really cute story. I love the illustrations. Good to use for guided reading because some of the pages have to be interpreted, rather than have the words to the story.
Amy Rae
Sep 25, 2014 Amy Rae rated it really liked it
Is it a surprise that I like a given Tomie dePaola book? Not really. But this one is really cute, with funny, comic-book-like illustrations and a clever ending.
Lindi
Apr 27, 2015 Lindi rated it it was amazing
Not a lot of words in this book. I read it to 1st grade today to fill in a little time after Strega Nona and it was a hit with a surprising ending.
  • How Droofus the Dragon Lost His Head
  • A Medieval Feast
  • Good Night, Good Knight
  • The Dragons are Singing Tonight
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be in a Medieval Dungeon!: Prisoners You'd Rather Not Meet
  • There's No Such Thing as a Dragon
  • The Amazing Bone
  • Uncle Bobby's Wedding
  • The Day the Babies Crawled Away
  • If I Had a Dragon
Tomie dePaola (pronounced Tommy da-POW-la) is best known for his books for children.
He's been published for 40 years and has written and/or illustrated over 200 books, including 26 Fairmount Avenue, Strega Nona, and Meet the Barkers.
Tomie dePaola and his work have been recognized with the Caldecott Honor Award, the Newbery Honor Award and the New Hampshire Governor's Arts Award of Living Treasure.
More about Tomie dePaola...