The Knight and the Dragon

The Knight and the Dragon

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  620 ratings  ·  72 reviews
What happens when a sheepish knight and a not-so-fierce dragon fight for the very first time? Well, it?s no ordinary battle since the knight has to go to the castle library to learn about dragon-fighting and the dragon must dig through his ancestor?s things to find out how to fight a knight! ?Spontaneity of line and feeling are backed by zesty colors and a jovial, tongue-i...more
Published February 2nd 1998 by Puffin (first published 1980)

Miriam

What do you do when you need to fight a knight or a dragon but don't know how to go about it?

Obviously!
Megan Palasik
I am a speech-language pathologist and I like to use wordless (or almost wordless) books with my preschoolers sometimes to practice their speech sounds in a conversational context, as well as informally assess their sentence structure and story telling skills.

I first want to say that I love Tomie dePaola's books. His illustrations have a uniqueness about them where they show the story with a couple of extra details, but not so many details that the page is overwhelming and difficult for prescho...more
Evan
Item 1: Dragon + Knight + Librarian Princess = Awesome.
Item 2: The solution to most problems in the book is more books.
Item 3: Librarian Princess is the hero.
Item 4: (view spoiler)
Item 5: Tomie dePaola's drawings are adorable.

Conclusion: One of the best picture books ever.
Denis A.
Half of the book has narrative and the other half is word-less. I might hold off introducing this one to little ones due to some of the more violent parts. That being said my three year old loves anything to do with dragons, dinosaurs, trucks, power tools, TMNT. But what draws him to the story is the cover that shows the dragon and knight. The part I found a little squeamish was the illustrated page of the knight honing all of his weapons in preparation to fight the dragon. Not anything horrible...more
Micah Elliott
I am so sick of this book! My twin boys have been fascinated with this story for two years now. We are swimming in books here at home, but month after month this one continues to find its way to the evening "cuddle up with a book" time. The lack of words has encouraged a lot of sound effects, and there is just enough animosity between the knight and dragon to make it a little bit scary. Despite the failure at destroying each other, the two ultimately become business partners. The example is suff...more
Dolly
Sep 21, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun take on the Dragon vs. Knight tale. I love that they went to the library to learn more about their quest. Our girls really enjoyed this book; we like all of Tomie dePaola's stories.

Cheryl in CC NV
Oh gosh. I can't believe I've never read this before - my sons and I loved this author. In this I especially loved the bookmobile librarian.
Linda
There is a knight who has never fought a dragon and a dragon who has never fought a knight. Both set out to learn as much as they can about their respective tasks. De Paola shows their step by step learning process with side by side illustrations comparing their results. His illustrations as always are cute and charming and the story is endearing. Pre K and K.

From Booklist:
"What happens when a sheepish knight and a not-so-fierce dragon fight for the very first time? Well, it's no ordinary battle...more
Heidi
I'm not always a fan of dePaola's works. I really don't know why. However, I loved this. Illustrations and story both. I also liked the librarian's role. :-) Probably best as a lap-read or read-aloud, since much is conveyed in the pictures.

4/18/12 I just had to include this in my Adventures! theme storytime. I think I did all right--especially with the huge crowd--in showing what happened in many of the wordless pictures. The kids may have gotten a bit lost because they couldn't examine closely....more
Meghan Hunt
Patricia
This story of a knight preparing to fight a dragon and of the dragon preparing to fight a knight, is told with great and sweet humor. I love how a librarian maiden sets them both, together, onto a better path of peace and prosperity.
Amy Musser
Recently I put together a knights and princesses themed storytime and rediscovered this book. The illustrations are classic Tomie DePaola. The people are small and round and there’s nothing scary about this dragon. The first half of the book alternates between the knight and dragon. Many of the pages are divided into smaller panels (rather like a comic strip) that show how the knight and dragon are progressing in their studies. The simple text is extremely minimal, some pages are completely word...more
Brittany
I thought that I knew this book, but I was delightfully surprised! With limited words, the reader is able to follow and fill in the blanks of the story. The illustrations are very comical and fun.

Activities:
- During a read aloud stop reading right before the dragon and knight fight. Ask students for predictions. You could even have them complete the story on their own, finishing the period with the actual ending from the book.
- Have this book be an introduction to using book without words. Hav...more
Brett Axel
There are several things I like about this book. I like that large portions of the story are told with pictures alone, I like the ultimate message of making peace and working together rather than fighting and trying to kill each other, and I like that the librarian's recommendation of books helps them to transition from rivalry to cooperation. I don't like that the violence pictures is clearly serious, deadly even, and is treated with whimsy. I would not want to expose a child under 7 to it, but...more
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
Read by: Annie
Author/Illustrator: Tomie dePaola
Genre: Historical Fiction
Interest Level: K-2
Grade Level Equivalent: 3.5

This is a really cute story, set in medieval times and told more with pictures than with words, of a knight and a dragon who prepare to fight each other. When they fight, although they feel prepared, it seems that neither of them are very good at fighting. So they open up a barbeque place together. This is a fun book, great for an author study; Tomie dePaola is a very talented au...more
Gaby Barraza
very funny book
Kardena
I really enjoyed reading his book. I read it about four times over and over. I thought it was funny. I think this would be a great book to read to younger kids around the grade of second graders. It's a good book because it has some facts about the past and went had went on. I liked in the book how it talked about the prince and the dragon preparing to fight against each other. I would read this book to a group of kids. The pictures were also good, very colorful making the book more fun to read....more
Connie
This is a semi-classic book about a knight and a dragon who decide to fight each other for no real reason other than, I don't know, because that's how it's always been done.

They're not very good at it, but in a very modern twist they find a way to work together to their mutual benefit. They're not even fighting off a bigger baddy!

There are largely wordless sections in the middle, which would be a great place for your kid to pick up the story and tell it to you.
Megan
This would be a fun book to use in a writing class, as half of the book is wordless. dePaola starts the story with words, then tells the remainder in illustrations. It would be a good exercise, especially for struggling writers, to create dialogue to go with the story. The framework (often the hardest part for an emerging writer) is there. Natalie loved it, too. Anything with some fantasy and she's sold. She gets it from her dad...
Kathy
"Once upon a time, there was a knight in a castle who had never fought a dragon. And in a cave not too far away was a dragon who had never fought a knight" The knight studies books on fighting dragons while the dragon researches how to fight knights with fire. They both get ready for a big fight, but they are not very good at fighting. They find a surprizing solution and become friends instead of enemies. For 2-4 year olds.
Dulce Coronado
Another great wordless or little word book I read! It's easy to keep up with the book with the pictures! Talk about these two characters who never been in a fight! Yet they prepare themselves to fight each other and in the end both become friends and even built their own restaurant! I enjoy reading this book with my younger sister whom got into the story which lets me know that other children will like it too!
Snorkle
I thought this was a fun book. I enjoyed looking at the cheerful illustrations and how studious the knight and dragon were. The ending wasn't predictable and yet I liked the conclusion. I would recommend, especially for fans of different knights/dragon stories.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2010...
Lita
This book is wonderful for capturing the interests of students that are interested in medieval times stories. It is great for inferring because a good bit of the book is made of pictures. Students can use the pictures to tell what is happening in the story. It can also be used for a telling paper. Students can write about what the dragon and the knight did to prepare for their fight.
Josiah
This is a nice little book that is a good forum for Tomie dePaola's charming illustrations. The story itself, as brief as it is, makes for a spritely, optimistic read, one that is sure to be popular among the pre-reader set. The pictures do an excellent job of telling the story during the parts when words aren't used.
Agnes
Almost a wordless story but filled with humor, books and learning a lesson about living together not fighting each other. Without preaching the pictures speak for themselves. Both protagonists prepare for their fight but realized they're not so good at fighting and use their talents otherwise.
Jenne
I love this book for young readers because of the model bring set for turning to books in order to learn about subjects of interest. the ending also models a turning away from violence when the knight and dragon literally pit down their weapons and turn towards cooperation ans enterprise.
Deirdre Keating
We love Tomie dePaola, and this was a gift from Aunt Betty to Sean at Xmas 08. I guess I expected more from the text, this one depends mostly on the illustrations, but it was perfect for Sean at 3 yrs old. He especially liked the image of the knight in the tree, having lost his shoe.
Linda
Any of Tomie de Paola's books are highly recommended. The Knight and the Dragon is a no-words picture book, a gentle tale that will bring a smile to your heart. My son read it time and again, and it was one of the first books he took with him when he went out into the world.
Patty Scruci
this book was fun because it uses humor to show the knight's preparation to fight the dragon, and the dragon's preparation to fight the knight, and as they parallel each other there are a lot of things children would find funny. this story is very cute and silly.
Krissy
A knight and a dragon gear up for a big fight, but end up finding better ways to use their skills. I'm not typically a knight a dragon fan, but Annika picked this one out for Soren, and we all loved it. Look for all the clever jokes in the illustrations.
  • How Droofus the Dragon Lost His Head
  • Good Night, Good Knight
  • When a Dragon Moves In
  • Me and My Dragon
  • Harold's Fairy Tale
Tomie dePaola (pronounced Tommy da-POW-la) is best known for his books for children.
He's been published for 40 years and has written and/or illustrated over 200 books, including 26 Fairmount Avenue, Strega Nona, and Meet the Barkers.
Tomie dePaola and his work have been recognized with the Caldecott Honor Award, the Newbery Honor Award and the New Hampshire Governor's Arts Award of Living Treasure....more
More about Tomie dePaola...
Strega Nona The Legend of the Bluebonnet The Legend of the Indian Paintbrush The Art Lesson Nana Upstairs and Nana Downstairs