Start by marking “The Knight and the Dragon” as Want to Read:
The Knight and the Dragon

The Knight and the Dragon

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  894 ratings  ·  87 reviews
What happens when a sheepish knight and a not-so-fierce dragon fight for the very first time? Well, it?s no ordinary battle since the knight has to go to the castle library to learn about dragon-fighting and the dragon must dig through his ancestor?s things to find out how to fight a knight!?Spontaneity of line and feeling are backed by zesty colors and a jovial, tongue-in ...more
Published February 2nd 1998 by Puffin Books (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Knight and the Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Knight and the Dragon

Miriam

What do you do when you need to fight a knight or a dragon but don't know how to go about it?

Obviously!
Evan
Item 1: Dragon + Knight + Librarian Princess = Awesome.
Item 2: The solution to most problems in the book is more books.
Item 3: Librarian Princess is the hero.
Item 4: (view spoiler)
Item 5: Tomie dePaola's drawings are adorable.

Conclusion: One of the best picture books ever.
Megan Palasik
I am a speech-language pathologist and I like to use wordless (or almost wordless) books with my preschoolers sometimes to practice their speech sounds in a conversational context, as well as informally assess their sentence structure and story telling skills.

I first want to say that I love Tomie dePaola's books. His illustrations have a uniqueness about them where they show the story with a couple of extra details, but not so many details that the page is overwhelming and difficult for prescho
Denis A.
Half of the book has narrative and the other half is word-less. I might hold off introducing this one to little ones due to some of the more violent parts. That being said my three year old loves anything to do with dragons, dinosaurs, trucks, power tools, TMNT. But what draws him to the story is the cover that shows the dragon and knight. The part I found a little squeamish was the illustrated page of the knight honing all of his weapons in preparation to fight the dragon. Not anything horrible ...more
Micah Elliott
I am so sick of this book! My twin boys have been fascinated with this story for two years now. We are swimming in books here at home, but month after month this one continues to find its way to the evening "cuddle up with a book" time. The lack of words has encouraged a lot of sound effects, and there is just enough animosity between the knight and dragon to make it a little bit scary. Despite the failure at destroying each other, the two ultimately become business partners. The example is suff ...more
Tory Haberman
The Knight and the Dragon by Tomie dePaola is about a knight who never fought a dragon and a dragon who never fought a knight. The knight spent the day reading books on how to fight a dragon in the castle’s library while the dragon rummaged through books in his cave on how to fight a knight passed down from his ancestors. As the knight built his armor and prepared his weapons, the dragon practiced swishing his tail and looking fierce. Once they were both ready, they sent letters to one another a ...more
Tonya Nelson
Summary: This book is heavily picture-based, but it is about a knight and a dragon. The knight reads about how to defeat a dragon, and the dragon reads how to take on a knight. They both practice and prepare for the fight against each other, but don’t have too much success. Both parties end up writing letters to the other before they battle. At the end, they join forces to work together to build a BBQ place.

Characteristics to Support Genre: This book takes place in medieval times and contains el
Dawn
The Knight and the Dragon by Tomie dePola is a historical fiction meets fantasy picture book for young readers aged 4-8 years. This story is about a dragon and a knight who have never fought each other before and one day they decided to organize a fight. Both having no experience began researching the matter (Tommie, 1997).
I gave the book five stars because the use of color, themes, plot flow and characters easily captivate young readers. I recommend this text for younger children because of the
Stephanie
Tomie dePaola’s The Knight and the Dragon is about a timid knight and a not fierce dragon. The knight and the dragon want to fight each other but neither know how to. So the knight goes to castle’s library to learn how to fight a dragon and the dragon digs through his ancestor’s things to figure out how to fight a knight. Their fight fails miserably and they end up opening a BBQ restaurant.

The Knight and the Dragon is classified as a fantasy book for several different reasons. The setting is se
Dolly
Sep 21, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun take on the Dragon vs. Knight tale. I love that they went to the library to learn more about their quest. Our girls really enjoyed this book; we like all of Tomie dePaola's stories.

Nikki
Summary- This is a story of a knight and a dragon, and how they are both getting ready to battle each other for the first time. The knight prepares by reading books about dragons, building armor, and practicing jousting. The dragon gets ready for the fight by looked through his ancestors old things to find information on fighting knights, practice swishing his tail, making angry faces, and breathing fire at a target. After they have prepared they set each other letters setting a date for the fig ...more
Joleene Libby
What's a knight and dragon to do when neither one of them have fought each other in battle before? Why go to the library of course and take out a book on the subject! This is an extremely amusing book about the steps the knight and dragon take to fight one another and what happens when they meet face to face.

Best Line-
"The dragon practiced swishing his tail."

Lesson Ideas-Prediction, surprise endings, looking at the illustrations, research, fairytales
Linda
There is a knight who has never fought a dragon and a dragon who has never fought a knight. Both set out to learn as much as they can about their respective tasks. De Paola shows their step by step learning process with side by side illustrations comparing their results. His illustrations as always are cute and charming and the story is endearing. Pre K and K.

From Booklist:
"What happens when a sheepish knight and a not-so-fierce dragon fight for the very first time? Well, it's no ordinary battle
Izzy
This book relies heavily on the illustrations because of its lack of words. This book would be easy for younger children to learn how to read. Even though the book doesn't have any words, young children can learn other aspects of the book and make them feel like they can read. Children can get big confidence boosts from reading books like this, so this book opens the reader to books that do have words.
Heidi
I'm not always a fan of dePaola's works. I really don't know why. However, I loved this. Illustrations and story both. I also liked the librarian's role. :-) Probably best as a lap-read or read-aloud, since much is conveyed in the pictures.

4/18/12 I just had to include this in my Adventures! theme storytime. I think I did all right--especially with the huge crowd--in showing what happened in many of the wordless pictures. The kids may have gotten a bit lost because they couldn't examine closely.
Meghan Hunt
Patricia
This story of a knight preparing to fight a dragon and of the dragon preparing to fight a knight, is told with great and sweet humor. I love how a librarian maiden sets them both, together, onto a better path of peace and prosperity.
Amy Musser
Recently I put together a knights and princesses themed storytime and rediscovered this book. The illustrations are classic Tomie DePaola. The people are small and round and there’s nothing scary about this dragon. The first half of the book alternates between the knight and dragon. Many of the pages are divided into smaller panels (rather like a comic strip) that show how the knight and dragon are progressing in their studies. The simple text is extremely minimal, some pages are completely word ...more
Ms Threlkeld
A fun story about a dragon and a knight preparing to do battle and the unexpected outcome of the fight. Several of the pages don't have text, making this an excellent book for practicing making inferences.
Amy Rae
Is it a surprise that I like a given Tomie dePaola book? Not really. But this one is really cute, with funny, comic-book-like illustrations and a clever ending.
Lindi
Not a lot of words in this book. I read it to 1st grade today to fill in a little time after Strega Nona and it was a hit with a surprising ending.
Zeke Luna
This is a wordless book, but it helps the children learn how to read a book left to right. It also helps teach a valuable lesson with children showing that enemies can become friends, whichI personally believe is a great thing to learn at an early age. The illustrations like all Tomie dePalola books are really cute and very original.
Cindy
I really liked this one. Made me laugh a lot.
Moral of this story: Always use your knowledge to do good things.
Corinne
Jenn
A knight who has never battled a dragon; a dragon who has never battled a knight train and meet in mortal combat with an ending you will never see coming.
Barbara
Cute story. Adorable drawings. Not your typical knight and dragon.
Brittany
I thought that I knew this book, but I was delightfully surprised! With limited words, the reader is able to follow and fill in the blanks of the story. The illustrations are very comical and fun.

Activities:
- During a read aloud stop reading right before the dragon and knight fight. Ask students for predictions. You could even have them complete the story on their own, finishing the period with the actual ending from the book.
- Have this book be an introduction to using book without words. Hav
Brett Axel
There are several things I like about this book. I like that large portions of the story are told with pictures alone, I like the ultimate message of making peace and working together rather than fighting and trying to kill each other, and I like that the librarian's recommendation of books helps them to transition from rivalry to cooperation. I don't like that the violence pictures is clearly serious, deadly even, and is treated with whimsy. I would not want to expose a child under 7 to it, but ...more
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
Read by: Annie
Author/Illustrator: Tomie dePaola
Genre: Historical Fiction
Interest Level: K-2
Grade Level Equivalent: 3.5

This is a really cute story, set in medieval times and told more with pictures than with words, of a knight and a dragon who prepare to fight each other. When they fight, although they feel prepared, it seems that neither of them are very good at fighting. So they open up a barbeque place together. This is a fun book, great for an author study; Tomie dePaola is a very talented au
Gaby Barraza
  • I Took My Frog to the Library
  • The Minstrel in the Tower
  • Who Wants A Dragon?
  • I Like Me!
Tomie dePaola (pronounced Tommy da-POW-la) is best known for his books for children.
He's been published for 40 years and has written and/or illustrated over 200 books, including 26 Fairmount Avenue, Strega Nona, and Meet the Barkers.
Tomie dePaola and his work have been recognized with the Caldecott Honor Award, the Newbery Honor Award and the New Hampshire Governor's Arts Award of Living Treasure.
More about Tomie dePaola...
Strega Nona The Legend of the Bluebonnet The Legend of the Indian Paintbrush The Art Lesson Nana Upstairs and Nana Downstairs