Start by marking “How to Train Your Dragon (How to Train Your Dragon, #1)” as Want to Read:
How to Train Your Dragon (How to Train Your Dragon, #1)

How to Train Your Dragon (How to Train Your Dragon #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  18,307 ratings  ·  2,231 reviews
Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III is a truly extraordinary Viking hero known throughout Vikingdom as "the Dragon Whisperer"...but it wasn't always so. Travel back to the days when the mighty warrior was just a boy, the quiet and thoughtful son of the Chief of the Hairy Hooligans. Can Hiccup capture a dragon and train it without being torn limb from limb? Join the adventure as ...more
Published May 1st 2004 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published February 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about How to Train Your Dragon, please sign up.

Sadie Cahill No....................................... bu a bit of yes and it's cool
Cara It's nothing like the movie, except the characters have the same names. Similarities end there.
Forrest Gump by Winston GroomThe Devil Wears Prada by Lauren WeisbergerJurassic Park by Michael CrichtonJumanji by Chris Van AllsburgMary Poppins by P.L. Travers
I Only Watched the Movie!
143rd out of 893 books — 5,012 voters
Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
22nd out of 903 books — 1,855 voters

More lists with this book...

Dana Salman

Finally, finally! I found it!

Boy, where do I start? Okay, to make things clear: I did see the movie first (it was one of Dreamworks' best ever!) but that didn't necessarily mean I had expectations for this book based on that. I did check up on it before reading it, so I was fully prepared with the knowledge that it was completely different from the movie when I started. Still, no matter how much I loved the movie, I loved this book too. The characters are likable (as story-book characters, anywa
Hippo dari Hongkong
review pake bahasa naga
uuuuuuuuuuuuy, akkui.. kutukkaaaaa skalle bukkkuw inni. dobleh yammihi krauk-krauk hahahihi. winglesh viking kiccil kiccil, hiccup & fishleg kambrratui. snotlout & dogsbreath brengsshik hicup, tittak rammakh, tukka hiaat-hiaat, tukka keshruppan maggabuk kambrratui shanashini, guccuh.

toothles naga kiccil, tattukka shi ikanbusshuk, inni yakkih, inni dobleh dobleh yakkih. tatukka kangkang bikkhin muwwal-pushing-prut. tukka gaga allas bokkong & flip-flop. hrrap tit
Monica!
What… what… what is this book?!

This is not the How to Train your Dragon I fell in love with! Where is my Hiccup?! Where is my Toothless?!

Goodreads, how could you not warn me about this… this TRAVESTY of a NOVEL!?

Okay, in all seriousness, I am super disappointed that the plot of the book is so far removed from that of the film.

But this is not the book’s fault.

So I will try to rise above my intense sorrow.

INTENSE. SORROW.

So. Um. I guess this book was okay? Hiccup was surprisingly fatalistic for
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
As we all know, movies often aren't much like the books they're based on, and that's incredibly true here. Now, the setting's the same: Vikings, dragons, characters and all that. However, there are a couple of major differences, based even on what I remember from the movie I saw once about three years ago. When you think of How to Train Your Dragon, I bet your first thought is something along these lines:

Certainly, I did. Awkward boy befriends adorable dragon. Cuteness abounds. Everyone learns t
Mark Lawrence
I saw the film a while back and really enjoyed it. I bought the book for my daughter Celyn's 9th birthday and read it to her (she's registered blind and couldn't watch the movie). We finished it last week in hospital. She did fall asleep a couple of times but to be fair she was recoving from a general anaesthetic.

The book is very different to the film. Both share some comical Vikings and a weedy 'hero' named Hiccup. Both contain dragons. That's about the end of the similarities. In the film the
Terry
How do I rate this book? I rate it "Started reading it to my six year old but when he was too tired to continue I kept reading to myself and didn't put it down until I reached the last page."
Kristijan
"How to train your dragon" je jedna sasvim OK knjižica koja će na momente nasmejati svoje čitaoce. Verovatno sam prestar za nju i verovatno je animirana verzija ostavila na mene mnogo veći utisak, tako da ne mogu da dam više od tri zvezdice.
Cait Grace
I wanted to read this book because I HAD A DRAGON SHAPED HOLE IN MY READING LIFE. Come on! Who hasn't heard of the movie?!! And there's a book? I would be a negligant bookworm if I ignored it.

Just so you know: it's nothing like the movie. Except some of the names are the same.

Nope, in the book Hiccup and the boys of his village must capture a dragon and train it in order to be initiated as warriors. Hiccup captures a very tiny insignificant looking dragon who has no teeth so he calls it Toothl
Anila
Like many people, I got around to reading this after seeing (and becoming smitten/obsessed with) the Dreamworks movie version. Movie Toothless, and to some extent Hiccup, holds a place in my heart forever. I'm already planning to buy the DVD the day it's released. Naturally, I'm not inclined to adopt the book as devotedly as those who read it before seeing the movie and scorn the film as the scourge of the earth.

I find that whenever I watch a movie before reading a book- like, say, Stardust- I e
papalbina
well, it was a very big shock to discover that book and movie only share names and a couple of details.

after the initial shock passed, which took me a couple of chapters, i enjoyed hiccup's first adventure, although the story is very introductory and without much depth. it was funny, anyway, and it reminded me slightly of Wickie, but with dragons, probably it's a viking thing.

the toothless in the book ended up being cute, but nothing like the one in the movie. the same about hiccup. fishlegs on
James Steele
Originally posted on JournalStone.

Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III and eighteen other boys are about to be initiated into their Viking tribe. To do that, every Viking boy must steal a dragon directly from the nest and train it to hunt for him and obey basic commands. Then, on the initiation day months later, they will prove they have what it takes to be a Viking by forcing a beast as heartless and uncooperative as a dragon to obey. It’s the Viking way.

I’ve always wondered why books for young adults
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
After reading:

Aww, I enjoyed this. A very cute and funny book. I wouldn't advise reading this with the expectation that it will be like the movie, because ... well, they're extremely different. But both are good in their own ways.

~ Full review coming soon! ~

Before reading:

Okay, so I'm reading this right now for numerous reasons. The main reason is that I'm really really obsessed with the movie––and I'm ashamed of myself for having watched it like ten times and never read the book it's based on
Keller
I enjoyed the movie, and when I saw David Tennant was the narrator for the audio book, I had to listen. He did not disappoint, though I found I enjoyed the departures from the source the cartoon took more than the source itself. Still, entertaining.
Michelle
Oct 13, 2010 Michelle rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Michelle by: The Jordanian
Shelves: read-with-ds
My son enjoyed this read and strongly encouraged me to read it too. I declined initially as I have a huge stack of books in my own reading pile. My opinion was swayed when he showed me a page from the third book in the series, "How to Speak Dragonese." It was about "Big-Boobied Bertha," complete with picture. Let's just say that her name is not an exaggeration. Ok, Mom, it's time to put this series at the top of your stack.

My first taste of Hiccup's story was similar to that of the infamous Capt
Jen
Well, this was COMPLETELY different from the film.
Which is an absurd thing to say, I realize, as books almost always are and I didn't realize this was the kick-off for a whole series, so maybe the movie plot is taken from a later book and amalgamated and all.
That being said...I like the movie better.
HERESY! I know, I know, and maybe it's just because I saw the movie first and I am totally overwhelmed with love for Scottish accents, but I feel that this book is a little...flat. It's a very cute
Jenny / Wondrous Reads
I absolutely loved How to Train Your Dragon, and it's now one of my favourite books for younger readers. It has everything you could want: an exciting story, likeable characters, bucketloads of humour, and a very cute little dragon with no teeth.

Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III is a ten-and-a-half-year-old with a difference. He's Viking royalty in training and, like most people, has to prove his worth to his friends and relatives. He's a fantastic character, with as much charm and determination as
Lynossa
Jan 03, 2012 Lynossa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
I must admit even though I'm an adult, I still enjoys reading children books. Hiccup series is one of my favorite children books; I like it so much, if I have kids I’ll shove it to their throats. Hiccup was an unusual Hero in every way. Born as Viking, he was skinny, short, plain, and prefers to use his head to think, and not to bump it to his enemies as most of Vikings in his era would do.
Hiccup was the son of his tribe’s Chieftain which instantly (because they’re Viking not some democratic Rom
Saniya
I really liked this book! It was lamely funny! (in a good way =]) And I really enjoyed reading this book, though It was too short!
I went to the library, and then I saw this book. I was like, "OMG! There are series for this movie?" and then my second reaction, "Oh yeah! I am so gonna borrow this book and read it!"
I watched the movie first, and It was so good and cute. It was way different than the book, but I loved it! =D

[image error]

Although I should say, Hiccup and all are drawn badly in the bo
Kruti
I adored Dreamworks' How to Train Your Dragon and couldn't believe it when I stumbled upon this book. But let's just say that I was in for another surprise.

Although the basic details are there, the book and the movie are quite different altogether. The illustrations were nothing like the film, however I grew to love the childish look of them that littered the book's every page.

The book is very light-hearted and fun to read and like the film, the book emphasises on how Hiccup proves his worth th
Danigerous
I just loved this book! I saw the movie before reading it, I loved it too, by the way. Just a little warning it has little to do with the original story. Sure the basics are there, but many many things were changed in the movie, maybe they were borrowed from the other installments, I don't know for now since I haven't read them , but I will definitely do. It's one of the few cases where both the movie and the book are great. But honestly speaking I liked the book better. It was absolutely hilari ...more
Kimberley doruyter
that was a really fun read, made even better by the fact david tennant is the reader.
annik
Как же давно я не читала хороших детских книжек, где все сюжетные ниточки аккуратными стежками ложатся на полотно истории. В последнее время мне попадался если не совсем треш, то нечто подобное; если книга и проявляла зачатки интересности, то почему-то в итоге обязательно скатывалась в лужу. В общем, «How to Train Your Dragon» пролилась бальзамом на душу и возродила веру в отличные книжки.

Книга настолько увлекла, что мне было не оторваться – пока не дослушала, ни о каком сне не могло быть и речи
Kandice
I have not seen the movie. I never had any interest in seeing until last year I attended a panel at ComicCon for the sequel. I really just wanted to see Kit Harrington (who voices a character in the sequel), but I ended up winning an original piece of art from one of the illustrators. Somehow, I got interested. NOW I want to see the movie!

I loved this book. It’s written for an audience of young boys (9-12), but I enjoyed it and think almost anyone would. Not only was the story itself great, the
Marisa
Big Warning: THIS BOOK IS NOTHING LIKE THE MOVIE!

Although since I didn’t read the book until after the second movie came out, I did see more similarities across both movies that are in the first book. I’ll be curious to see what else comes out when I read other books in the series. My biggest disappointment is that Toothless is NOTHING like Toothless in the book, which is what made the movie for me. Wah wahh…..

Setting movie differences aside, this is still a cute book. It’s written for kids and
Annalisa
Nov 22, 2013 Annalisa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Annalisa by: the movie
Shelves: childrens, fantasy
Charming and funny, but the movie is more charming and more funny.
Elisa
The book is so different from the movie. It was still an enjoyable read, especially because it was read to me by David Tennant *w*
One thing that I do not like is that there are no female characters (except for Hiccup's mother, who has two lines in the entire book).
It is obviously meant for a much younger audience, but it was still nice.

I may write a fuller review soon.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I found the audio book read by David Tennant! :D

Don't expect to hear f
Becca
In all fairness, I would have loved this book as a kid.
As an adult, I don't enjoy bodily function jokes, names based on bodily functions, and poo nearly as much as when I was a kid. Most of the time, not at all. That being said, this book has some fun humor and I laughed a good part of the time reading it. I just didn't love it.

What I liked: Hiccup was a great character. He was a nice guy in a not so nice world. And he was very believably a kid, not an adult in a kid body. I liked the dragon ch
Kaitlin Bevis
: I love the How to Train Your Dragon movies and the TV show. Well, more accurately, I watch them and enjoy them. My four year old LOVES them and will be having a HTTYD birthday party this year. I also love David Tennant. So now that she's old enough for me to read non-picture books to her at night, and I discovered David Tennant reads the audio books, picking up a copy of this series was a no brainer. I read her the books every night and when she wants she listens to a chapter and turns the pag ...more
An Odd1
Website has samples, videos, games.

Scrawny red-head Hiccup the Useless, then his tiny dragon Toothless, save 400 Vikings of the Hairy Hooligan and MeatHead tribes from Green Death, Seadragonus Giganticus Maximus. Cressida translates, from Norse 222 pages of Viking history PLUS from Dragonese, Toothless' version of the Night Hunt in "How to train your Viking". There we learn the secret of his sore tummy.

I loved every sequel (more?). Pirate curses are especially creative. Only resemblance to film
Whats the best type of dragon in this book 15 59 Apr 08, 2015 09:26PM
The Book Was Better: HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 10 18 Jan 18, 2015 10:40PM
The Book Was Better: HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 22 32 Dec 18, 2014 09:15PM
Discussion about the third movie? 3 17 Nov 19, 2014 09:13AM
  • The New Kid at School (Dragon Slayers' Academy, #1)
  • Toothiana: Queen of the Tooth Fairy Armies
  • The Dragon in the Sock Drawer (Dragon Keepers, #1)
  • Gruffen (The Dragons of Wayward Crescent, #1)
  • The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom (The League of Princes, #1)
  • The Secret of the Fortune Wookiee  (Origami Yoda #3)
  • Ferno The Fire Dragon (Beast Quest, #1)
  • Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher (Magic Shop, #2)
  • Curse of the Were-wiener (Dragonbreath, #3)
  • The Art of How to Train Your Dragon
  • Rise of the Guardians Movie Novelization
  • Whales on Stilts (Pals in Peril, #1)
  • Attack Of The Tyrannosaurus (Dinosaur Cove, #1)
  • The Dragonet Prophecy (Wings of Fire, #1)
  • Knights of the Kitchen Table (Time Warp Trio, #1)
  • Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Mecha Monkeys from Mars (Ricky Ricotta, #4)
  • No Such Thing As Dragons
  • Zorgamazoo
Cressida Cowell grew up in London and on a small, uninhabited island off the west coast of Scotland. She was convinced that there were dragons living on this island, and has been fascinated by dragons ever since. She has a BA in English Literature from Oxford University, a BA in Graphic Design from St Martin's and an MA in Narrative Illustration from Brighton. Cressida loves illustrating her own w ...more
More about Cressida Cowell...

How to Train Your Dragon (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • How to Train Your Viking, by Toothless the Dragon
  • How to Be a Pirate (How to Train Your Dragon, #2)
  • How to Speak Dragonese (How to Train Your Dragon, #3)
  • How to Cheat a Dragon's Curse (How to Train Your Dragon, #4)
  • How to Twist a Dragon's Tale (How to Train Your Dragon, #5)
  • A Hero's Guide to Deadly Dragons (How to Train Your Dragon, #6)
  • How to Ride a Dragon's Storm (How to Train Your Dragon, #7)
  • How to Break a Dragon's Heart (How to Train Your Dragon, #8)
  • How to Steal a Dragon's Sword (How to Train Your Dragon, #9)
  • How to Seize a Dragon's Jewel (How to Train Your Dragon, #10)
How to Be a Pirate (How to Train Your Dragon, #2) How to Speak Dragonese (How to Train Your Dragon, #3) How to Cheat a Dragon's Curse (How to Train Your Dragon, #4) How to Twist a Dragon's Tale (How to Train Your Dragon, #5) A Hero's Guide to Deadly Dragons (How to Train Your Dragon, #6)

“Twelve days north of Hopeless and a few degrees south of Freezing to Death” 143 likes
“Thank you for nothing, you stupid reptile.” 96 likes