Start by marking “How to Train Your Dragon (How to Train Your Dragon, #1)” as Want to Read:
How to Train Your Dragon (How to Train Your Dragon, #1)

How to Train Your Dragon (How to Train Your Dragon #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  14,338 ratings  ·  1,874 reviews
Chronicles the adventures and misadventures of Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third as he tries to pass the important initiation test of his Viking clan, the Tribe of the Hairy Hooligans, by catching and training a dragon...
Published May 1st 2004 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published February 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about How to Train Your Dragon, please sign up.

Reghan Goodreads isn't for reading, it's for rating and keeping track of books.
Reghan In the book. Goodreads isn't for reading, it's for rating and keeping track of books.
Forrest Gump by Winston GroomThe Devil Wears Prada by Lauren WeisbergerJurassic Park by Michael CrichtonJumanji by Chris Van AllsburgMary Poppins by P.L. Travers
I Only Watched the Movie!
156th out of 822 books — 4,634 voters
Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
28th out of 801 books — 1,551 voters

More lists with this book...

Dana Salman

Finally, finally! I found it!

Boy, where do I start? Okay, to make things clear: I did see the movie first (it was one of Dreamworks' best ever!) but that didn't necessarily mean I had expectations for this book based on that. I did check up on it before reading it, so I was fully prepared with the knowledge that it was completely different from the movie when I started. Still, no matter how much I loved the movie, I loved this book too. The characters are likable (as story-book characters, anywa...more
Idle Hippo
review pake bahasa naga
uuuuuuuuuuuuy, akkui.. kutukkaaaaa skalle bukkkuw inni. dobleh yammihi krauk-krauk hahahihi. winglesh viking kiccil kiccil, hiccup & fishleg kambrratui. snotlout & dogsbreath brengsshik hicup, tittak rammakh, tukka hiaat-hiaat, tukka keshruppan maggabuk kambrratui shanashini, guccuh.

toothles naga kiccil, tattukka shi ikanbusshuk, inni yakkih, inni dobleh dobleh yakkih. tatukka kangkang bikkhin muwwal-pushing-prut. tukka gaga allas bokkong & flip-flop. hrrap tit...more
Monica!
What… what… what is this book?!

This is not the How to Train your Dragon I fell in love with! Where is my Hiccup?! Where is my Toothless?!

Goodreads, how could you not warn me about this… this TRAVESTY of a NOVEL!?

Okay, in all seriousness, I am super disappointed that the plot of the book is so far removed from that of the film.

But this is not the book’s fault.

So I will try to rise above my intense sorrow.

INTENSE. SORROW.

So. Um. I guess this book was okay? Hiccup was surprisingly fatalistic for...more
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
As we all know, movies often aren't much like the books they're based on, and that's incredibly true here. Now, the setting's the same: Vikings, dragons, characters and all that. However, there are a couple of major differences, based even on what I remember from the movie I saw once about three years ago. When you think of How to Train Your Dragon, I bet your first thought is something along these lines:

Certainly, I did. Awkward boy befriends adorable dragon. Cuteness abounds. Everyone learns t...more
Mark Lawrence
I saw the film a while back and really enjoyed it. I bought the book for my daughter Celyn's 9th birthday and read it to her (she's registered blind and couldn't watch the movie). We finished it last week in hospital. She did fall asleep a couple of times but to be fair she was recoving from a general anaesthetic.

The book is very different to the film. Both share some comical Vikings and a weedy 'hero' named Hiccup. Both contain dragons. That's about the end of the similarities. In the film the...more
Terry
How do I rate this book? I rate it "Started reading it to my six year old but when he was too tired to continue I kept reading to myself and didn't put it down until I reached the last page."
Anila
Like many people, I got around to reading this after seeing (and becoming smitten/obsessed with) the Dreamworks movie version. Movie Toothless, and to some extent Hiccup, holds a place in my heart forever. I'm already planning to buy the DVD the day it's released. Naturally, I'm not inclined to adopt the book as devotedly as those who read it before seeing the movie and scorn the film as the scourge of the earth.

I find that whenever I watch a movie before reading a book- like, say, Stardust- I e...more
papalbina
well, it was a very big shock to discover that book and movie only share names and a couple of details.

after the initial shock passed, which took me a couple of chapters, i enjoyed hiccup's first adventure, although the story is very introductory and without much depth. it was funny, anyway, and it reminded me slightly of Wickie, but with dragons, probably it's a viking thing.

the toothless in the book ended up being cute, but nothing like the one in the movie. the same about hiccup. fishlegs on...more
James Steele
Originally posted on JournalStone.

Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III and eighteen other boys are about to be initiated into their Viking tribe. To do that, every Viking boy must steal a dragon directly from the nest and train it to hunt for him and obey basic commands. Then, on the initiation day months later, they will prove they have what it takes to be a Viking by forcing a beast as heartless and uncooperative as a dragon to obey. It’s the Viking way.

I’ve always wondered why books for young adults...more
Kruti
I adored Dreamworks' How to Train Your Dragon and couldn't believe it when I stumbled upon this book. But let's just say that I was in for another surprise.

Although the basic details are there, the book and the movie are quite different altogether. The illustrations were nothing like the film, however I grew to love the childish look of them that littered the book's every page.

The book is very light-hearted and fun to read and like the film, the book emphasises on how Hiccup proves his worth th...more
Keller
I enjoyed the movie, and when I saw David Tennant was the narrator for the audio book, I had to listen. He did not disappoint, though I found I enjoyed the departures from the source the cartoon took more than the source itself. Still, entertaining.
Michelle
Oct 13, 2010 Michelle rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Michelle by: The Jordanian
Shelves: read-with-ds
My son enjoyed this read and strongly encouraged me to read it too. I declined initially as I have a huge stack of books in my own reading pile. My opinion was swayed when he showed me a page from the third book in the series, "How to Speak Dragonese." It was about "Big-Boobied Bertha," complete with picture. Let's just say that her name is not an exaggeration. Ok, Mom, it's time to put this series at the top of your stack.

My first taste of Hiccup's story was similar to that of the infamous Capt...more
Jen
Well, this was COMPLETELY different from the film.
Which is an absurd thing to say, I realize, as books almost always are and I didn't realize this was the kick-off for a whole series, so maybe the movie plot is taken from a later book and amalgamated and all.
That being said...I like the movie better.
HERESY! I know, I know, and maybe it's just because I saw the movie first and I am totally overwhelmed with love for Scottish accents, but I feel that this book is a little...flat. It's a very cute...more
Jenny / Wondrous Reads
I absolutely loved How to Train Your Dragon, and it's now one of my favourite books for younger readers. It has everything you could want: an exciting story, likeable characters, bucketloads of humour, and a very cute little dragon with no teeth.

Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III is a ten-and-a-half-year-old with a difference. He's Viking royalty in training and, like most people, has to prove his worth to his friends and relatives. He's a fantastic character, with as much charm and determination as...more
Lynossa
Jan 03, 2012 Lynossa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
I must admit even though I'm an adult, I still enjoys reading children books. Hiccup series is one of my favorite children books; I like it so much, if I have kids I’ll shove it to their throats. Hiccup was an unusual Hero in every way. Born as Viking, he was skinny, short, plain, and prefers to use his head to think, and not to bump it to his enemies as most of Vikings in his era would do.
Hiccup was the son of his tribe’s Chieftain which instantly (because they’re Viking not some democratic Rom...more
Saniya(Will Herondale is mine)
I really liked this book! It was lamely funny! (in a good way =]) And I really enjoyed reading this book, though It was too short!
I went to the library, and then I saw this book. I was like, "OMG! There are series for this movie?" and then my second reaction, "Oh yeah! I am so gonna borrow this book and read it!"
I watched the movie first, and It was so good and cute. It was way different than the book, but I loved it! =D

[image error]

Although I should say, Hiccup and all are drawn badly in the bo...more
Patrizia O
Jul 12, 2011 Patrizia O rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bambini e adulti che si sentono un po' bambini
Recommended to Patrizia by: Dragon trainer della Dreamworks
Ho voluto comprare questo libro perché questa serie ha ispirato “Dragon Trainer”, un film di animazione della Dreamworks tra i miei preferiti (anche se devo precisare che a me piacciono quasi tutti i prodotti Dreamworks, sono tutti i miei preferiti!).
Il libro ovviamente non c’entra quasi nulla con il film. Il protagonista conserva il suo nome per esteso ed è sempre Topicco; ci sono i draghi (molto diversi rispetto ai loro fratelli animati), ci sono Skaracchio e Stoick.
La lettura è certamente p...more
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
After reading:

Aww, I enjoyed this. A very cute and funny book. I wouldn't advise reading this with the expectation that it will be like the movie, because ... well, they're extremely different. But both are good in their own ways.

~ Full review coming soon! ~

Before reading:

Okay, so I'm reading this right now for numerous reasons. The main reason is that I'm really really obsessed with the movie––and I'm ashamed of myself for having watched it like ten times and never read the book it's based on...more
Stinkerbelle Stormborn
I just loved this book! I saw the movie before reading it, I loved it too, by the way. Just a little warning it has little to do with the original story. Sure the basics are there, but many many things were changed in the movie, maybe they were borrowed from the other installments, I don't know for now since I haven't read them , but I will definitely do. It's one of the few cases where both the movie and the book are great. But honestly speaking I liked the book better. It was absolutely hilari...more
Kandice
I have not seen the movie. I never had any interest in seeing until last year I attended a panel at ComicCon for the sequel. I really just wanted to see Kit Harrington (who voices a character in the sequel), but I ended up winning an original piece of art from one of the illustrators. Somehow, I got interested. NOW I want to see the movie!

I loved this book. It’s written for an audience of young boys (9-12), but I enjoyed it and think almost anyone would. Not only was the story itself great, the...more
Annalisa
Nov 22, 2013 Annalisa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Annalisa by: the movie
Shelves: childrens, fantasy
Charming and funny, but the movie is more charming and more funny.
Becca
In all fairness, I would have loved this book as a kid.
As an adult, I don't enjoy bodily function jokes, names based on bodily functions, and poo nearly as much as when I was a kid. Most of the time, not at all. That being said, this book has some fun humor and I laughed a good part of the time reading it. I just didn't love it.

What I liked: Hiccup was a great character. He was a nice guy in a not so nice world. And he was very believably a kid, not an adult in a kid body. I liked the dragon ch...more
An Odd1
Website has samples, videos, games.

Scrawny red-head Hiccup the Useless, then his tiny dragon Toothless, save 400 Vikings of the Hairy Hooligan and MeatHead tribes from Green Death, Seadragonus Giganticus Maximus. Cressida translates, from Norse 222 pages of Viking history PLUS from Dragonese, Toothless' version of the Night Hunt in "How to train your Viking". There we learn the secret of his sore tummy.

I loved every sequel (more?). Pirate curses are especially creative. Only resemblance to film...more
Snorkle
I read this book because I had recently seen the movie adaption and had been shocked and dismayed that I had not known was based on a book. Very loosely based I might add. There seemed to be hardly any similarities besides some of the character names and the location. And even though this rarely happens...I have to say...that I liked the movie better than the book!

I was not impressed with the character of Toothless and couldn't figure out why he played any major part in the story. He seemed to b...more
Elevetha
2.5 stars.

After watching the hilarious Dreamworks movie, How To Train Your Dragon, I thought I should check out the books it was based off. And let me tell you, they are vastly different. Not only the plot\storyline, but the characters themselves are quite different, most of all Toothless, whom I absolutely adored in the movie.

My view of the books was probably quite coloured by my love for the movie, thus my enjoyment of the books was far less than curling up with a fluffy blanket and watching t...more
Paul Greer
‘How to Train Your Dragon’ by Cressida Cowell (translated from Old Norse) was the basis for the movie of the same name released by Dreamworks Studios in 2010. As with most adaptations, the movie is very different from the original text. The book tells the story of the son of a Viking chief ‘Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III’ and his efforts to fit in with his clan. The rules of the clan dictate that as a ‘rite of passage’ into manhood each child must capture and train a dragon and show is mastery of...more
Sharlene
'How to Train Your Dragon' by Cressida Cowell, is a magnificent book, that i read with my previous year 2 class.

It follows the trials and tribulations of Hiccup,the main character of the story, who struggles to uphold the responsibilities of a 'true Viking', constantly seeking praise from his father and his tribe, who see him nothing more than a nuisance.

However everything begins to change when Hiccup meets the 'Night Fury'.

This story allows children, of all ages to envision themselves as part...more
Bunga Mawar
Selesai dibaca dalam waktu 4 jam dengan diselingi bermacam-macam godaaan :)

Kisahnya mengenai sekelompok anak muda yang mengikuti rangkaian inisiasi untuk diterima dalam kelompok-kelompok suku Viking pada masa dunia ini (ceritanya) lebih muda dari sekarang. Tokoh protagonisnya adalah putra kepala suku, Hiccup Horredous Haddock III (hah, jadi ingat Thomas Mapother Cruise III, hehehe...) yang dari awal tidak meyakinkan, tapi karena sudah diplot jadi jagoan, terpaksa dia harus membuktikan untuk bisa...more
The Flooze
**3.5**

How to Train Your Dragon is a story of becoming a Hero the Hard Way. Hiccup isn’t fearsome. He isn’t tall. He isn’t particularly strong. And unlike his father Stoick, the Viking Chief, he isn’t very good at bellowing orders either. No one pays him any mind, and when they do it’s to ridicule him for not being all the Viking he can be. However, there’s one thing Hiccup is: clever. By the end of the story he proves to his tribe that smart thinking can be every bit as important and useful as...more
April
Speaking of soft spots, I have a weakness for middle grade books that involve dragons AND ALSO VIKINGS!
Read the rest of my review here
Note: Review goes live January 4, 2015
Funny or what 1 14 Aug 30, 2014 10:29AM
The Book Was Better: HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 20 12 Jun 24, 2014 06:21AM
The Dragon's Lair: How to Train Your Dragon 1 7 Apr 20, 2013 12:33PM
Whats the best type of dragon in this book 11 46 Apr 07, 2013 06:29PM
  • The New Kid at School (Dragon Slayers' Academy, #1)
  • Toothiana: Queen of the Tooth Fairy Armies
  • The Dragon in the Sock Drawer (Dragon Keepers, #1)
  • Attack Of The Tyrannosaurus (Dinosaur Cove, #1)
  • Dragonbreath (Dragonbreath, #1)
  • The Magic Thief (Magic Thief, #1)
  • Wonkenstein (The Creature from My Closet)
  • Captain Underpants and the Terrifying Return of Tippy Tinkletrousers (Captain Underpants, #9)
  • The Dragonet Prophecy (Wings of Fire, #1)
  • Gauge (The Dragons of Wayward Crescent, #2)
  • Kenny and the Dragon
  • My Rotten Life (Nathan Abercrombie, Accidental Zombie, #1)
  • Ferno The Fire Dragon (Beast Quest, #1)
  • Attack of the Fluffy Bunnies
  • The Hero Revealed (The Extraordinary Adventures of Ordinary Boy, #1)
  • Happy Birthday, Bad Kitty
  • Fergus Crane (Far-Flung Adventures, #1)
  • The Water Horse
Cressida Cowell grew up in London and on a small, uninhabited island off the west coast of Scotland. She was convinced that there were dragons living on this island, and has been fascinated by dragons ever since. She has a BA in English Literature from Oxford University, a BA in Graphic Design from St Martin's and an MA in Narrative Illustration from Brighton. Cressida loves illustrating her own w...more
More about Cressida Cowell...
How to Be a Pirate (How to Train Your Dragon, #2) How to Speak Dragonese (How to Train Your Dragon, #3) How to Cheat a Dragon's Curse (How to Train Your Dragon, #4) How to Twist a Dragon's Tale (How to Train Your Dragon, #5) A Hero's Guide to Deadly Dragons (How to Train Your Dragon, #6)

“Twelve days north of Hopeless and a few degrees south of Freezing to Death” 129 likes
“Thank you for nothing, you stupid reptile.” 81 likes