Start by marking “Children's Literature in Action: A Librarian's Guide (Library and Information Science Text Series)” as Want to Read:

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  97 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Book by Vardell, Sylvia M.
Published January 30th 2008 by Libraries Unlimited (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Children's Literature in Action, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Children's Literature in Action

Heather
I finished reading this whole textbook within my first month of class in Fall 2011 so that I could get ahead before I have to take my comprehensive exams. I read it for my "Library Materials for Children" class toward my MLIS degree at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. In all, I felt like it was a good overview of the genres, awards, and evaluation criteria of children's literature even though the author of course could not be an expert on every topic. It was also interesting to read, which ...more
Stacie
Dec 06, 2015 Stacie rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate to take the course from the author. I have read quite a few textbooks over the years, this one was by far the best I've ever read, on any subject. It reads somehow like a regular book: It flowed like a story. It's not dry, and never boring, and does not waste any words. Every piece of information is valuable, and worthy of consideration. I read the entire thing, cover to cover. All of the information is easily absorbed. This is a lady who loves her subject. Her passion is contagi ...more
Dec 07, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
(I read the 2nd Ed.) Does a good job of discussing different genres/ subgenres of children's literature and providing additional links/references. 3.5*
Aimee Marx
Dec 11, 2015 Aimee Marx rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: slis, nonfiction
Extremely helpful.
Ashley
Dec 16, 2015 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was reading this for my Materials, Literature and Collection Development for Children and Youth course. Unfortunately, I had to send this textbook back in since I rented it and I did not get the chance to finish all of the chapters. But what I did get to read from it was seriously beneficial and helped me to learn more about the topic at hand.

Garren
Dec 03, 2014 Garren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A tad on the obvious side at times, but that comes with the territory of trying to write a comprehensive overview. I appreciate the many recommended titles, third-party resources, and people to watch. I also gained some vocabulary to better discuss subtypes of children's lit genres.

This is one of the few textbooks I will be keeping from library school.
Kitchengrrl
Jul 31, 2012 Kitchengrrl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teaching
I'm surprised by how much I'm getting out of this book. It's almost making me feel like I'm getting the wrong degree. Too late! I'm only 1 semester away from graduation!
Samantha
Jan 18, 2010 Samantha rated it liked it
Shelves: grad-school
actually pretty interesting, provided a lot of information about different types of children's literature and activities and ideas that I could use in the future.
Lindsay
Not without its flaws, but definitely one of the better library textbooks I've been assigned over the course of my degree.
Blaine
May 10, 2011 Blaine added it
I didn't read all of this, but the parts I did read had great lists of books and ideas for teachers.
Hillary
Very informative book on Children's literature and what to look for when evaluating it.
Patty
Jul 25, 2011 Patty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
adequate reading for a textbook. Glad I am finished with my Masters program!
Lea
Jan 31, 2016 Lea rated it really liked it
Shelves: mlis
I am enjoying this book. I like the in depth history of children's literature.
Meg Roby
Meg Roby rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2016
Candence
Candence rated it it was ok
Feb 09, 2016
Becca
Becca is currently reading it
Feb 08, 2016
Stanley Faris
Stanley Faris marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Amanda Harris
Amanda Harris is currently reading it
Jan 28, 2016
Katherine Pfeiffer
Katherine Pfeiffer rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2016
Katherine Pfeiffer
Katherine Pfeiffer rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2016
Jessica
Jessica is currently reading it
Jan 18, 2016
Stacey Royal
Stacey Royal rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016
April
April rated it it was ok
Jan 01, 2016
John
John rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Sara Cales Hyatt
Sara Cales Hyatt marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2015
Andria Rice
Andria Rice rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2015
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2015
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2015
Jen
Jen is currently reading it
Oct 23, 2015