Start by marking “The Red Badge of Courage and Other Stories ” as Want to Read:
The Red Badge of Courage and Other Stories

The Red Badge of Courage and Other Stories

3.3  ·  Rating Details ·  1,310 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
~The Red Badge of Courage," written in 1895 by Stephen Crane (1871-1900), is considered by many literary critics to be one of the greatest of all American novels. This is a book about the Civil War, and one Union soldier's struggle with his inner demons as he prepares for, and fights his first battle.
Paperback, (Penguin Classics), 288 pages
Published July 27th 2006 by Penguin Classics (first published 1895)

To ask other readers questions about The Red Badge of Courage and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Red Badge of Courage and Other Stories

Elizabeth
Mar 28, 2010 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
The introduction to this collection compared Stephen Crane to Conrad and did a whole lot of talking about literary impressionism. This both gave me unfair expectations (I'm a Conrad lover) and, likely, put me off (I've never quite understood the concept of literary impressionism, though I know it is something that Conrad is similarly-often equated with). Given that I didn't love any of this book's selections nearly as much as the Conrad I've read, I'm going to assume it's due to a heavy dose of ...more
Vivian
Feb 28, 2017 Vivian rated it liked it
3 stars is a bit too generous, let's give it a 2.5~ this is another book for APLAC~ the first few chapters were honestly rough; this book is related to our realism unit and there are so many excessive arbitrary details that are unnecessary, and it's bad enough that it's about the civil war like cmon english teachers, whatcha doing to us??

i learned that its easier to get through a boring & confusing book like this by annotating each page; not only does it make you seem like an avid reader but
Mmars
May 05, 2012 Mmars rated it really liked it
Finished Red Badge (****)& short story "Veteran." Just like to say that this Pengin Classics is a nice little edition. Great for secondary/college school purposes. Included, after the introduction is a bibliography inteded for further research. (Adult sources)

I usually read the introduction before diving into the book, but decided to jump right in to Red Badge. It is followed by "The Veteran," a quick story about the narrator, Henry, as an old man on the day of his death.

Since this is such
Gretchen Mueller
Mar 21, 2016 Gretchen Mueller rated it really liked it
This book is about a young boy who thinks that going off to war is what he wants to do when he is old enough. However, he soon finds out that it is not as fun and entertaining as he thought it would be. He sees close friends suffer the pain of death and war. After one of the battles the young man realizes that he hasn't gotten a single scratch yet and everyone around him has some kind of wound to show the things he had done for his country. He too wanted a big bloody red badge of courage. Soon a ...more
Richard Epstein
Oct 04, 2016 Richard Epstein rated it really liked it
There is a class of books which owe much of their fame to their brevity and therefore usefulness in the classroom. I call them The Assignables. The most famous are (or used to be) Silas Marner, Ethan Frome, The Old Man and the Sea, and The Red Badge of Courage. I can imagine someone reading TRBOC voluntarily, not having been assigned it, simply for pleasure. Imagine making that statement about Ethan Frome.

There are other books teachers might have elevated to this status. The Unvanquished. Washin
Monta
Jun 28, 2008 Monta rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to be well-read in the classics
Clarissa
Feb 23, 2007 Clarissa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those facing an important decision
"But he said, in substance, to himself that if the earth and the moon were about to clash, many persons would doubtless plan to get upon the roofs to witness the collision."
Arliegh Kovacs
Dec 17, 2016 Arliegh Kovacs rated it did not like it
Shelves: classic
Crane's The Red Badge of Courage has been on those "must-read" lists for high school students for years. (It wasn't on the one in my Accelerated Reading classes so I passed it up entirely.) My '26 Books' list this year had a spot for A Book You Should Have Read in High School but Didn't and this was the one (sadly) that I chose.
Apparently the book is a coming-of-age novel where the main character goes from being a naive, idealistic, egocentric youth to an experienced, confident, self-sacrifici
Diane
Apr 30, 2012 Diane rated it really liked it
Stephen Crane's life was abysmally cut short by the age of 28. What stories he did get out into the world were all rather short and focused on child-like (if not in fact child) characters. His most popular story, the one that put him on the map, is also his most celebrated work. The Red Badge of Courage is at the forefront of this small collection of stories and the most familiar with casual readers. Although the story itself proclaims in the title that it's set in the Civil War, the tale is so ...more
Dan Hamilton
Jan 06, 2017 Dan Hamilton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Classic but ....

I read the Red Badge of Courage back when just about every school kid in America does. Didn't make much of an impression on me then and, after reading it as an adult, not much has changed. I can appreciate the use of imagery and language but the story is claustrophobic and the dialog is dated. The addition in this volume of the very short sketch of the protagonist of Red Badge set when he is an old man (a kind of sequel) actually makes the story better.

However, I got this volume
rabbitprincess
Apr 17, 2008 rabbitprincess rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: perhaps US Civil War enthusiasts
Recommended to rabbitprincess by: Top 100 NAQT list
* * 1/2

Yeah, I wasn't all that impressed with this book. I never really connected with the protagonist, probably because Stephen Crane insists on referring to him as "the youth", even when other characters in the story call him "Henry Fleming". The phonetically rendered accents were also very distracting, and it took me a while to figure out which side he was actually fighting on because they don't say it outright, at least not in the parts that I read. I did enjoy some passages and found others
Dan Varley
Dec 23, 2012 Dan Varley rated it it was amazing
Unfairly relegated to 10th grade English class reading lists where it never reemerges again, this is a classic that deserves wider recognition. This is a book less about war and more about the battle that takes place in the psyche as we struggle to individuate and define the Self. In the case of the Red Badge of Courage, the cauldron of the Civil War quickens the battle for identity inside of Henry's head. For instance, in the beginning the narrator states, "He was forced to admit that he knew n ...more
Steve
Jul 27, 2010 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Low 4. In setting his novel within the theatre of the American Civil War, Crane broke with the traditional representation of this conflict in terms of presenting the moral rectitude of the Union cause, and instead focusing on the grim reality of the war for the front-line soldier. The young infantryman who serves as his protagonist, Henry Fleming, is forced to question his pre-conceived simplistic teenage idealisation of courage and glory when faced with the brutal truth of the inconsequential s ...more
Grace
Sep 14, 2015 Grace rated it really liked it
Surprisingly enough I really liked this book. I say surprisingly because I had to read it at some point in high school and don't remember liking it too much. I read it again as part of a class I was taking titled "Literary Impressionism." I think this would be a great book to read if you are at all interested in what led up to the so-called Modernist era from an American point of reference. I found the story to be genuinely interesting as well--getting caught up in a war that has no clear leader ...more
Bishop Bishop
Jan 17, 2008 Bishop Bishop rated it liked it
This is one of those books that I know a lot about and have read excerpts from, but to my embarrassment have never actually read cover-to-cover. I am not a huge Crane fan, but I like him well enough. I like him a bit more after reading this one, but it's not necessarily my cup of tea; 19th century Realism never has been. I enjoyed taking part in "the youth's" thought processes as he tries to make sense of something that is so obviously senseless. It is a fast read, but it is not necessarily an e ...more
Mark Mortensen
The book is centered upon a northern youth, Henry Fleming, who is drawn to enlist and fight in the Civil War. The young fellow has heard about war, but is openly uncertain as to what he might encounter and observe first hand.

Stephen Crane’s unique and gifted style of writing creates impressions that few authors can achieve. One of the many grouped sentences that caught my eye was: “As the horseman wheeled his animal and galloped away he turned to shout over his shoulder, “Don’t forget that box
Penny
May 08, 2012 Penny rated it it was ok
I realize that Crane had a reason for all the choices he made, but for me personally, the detached style where the characters barely have names just does not work. Rather than seeing Henry Fleming as a universal everyman because he is referred to as "the youth," I just see him as a faceless, soulless character that I don't care much about. Consequently, I lose patience with him quickly in his moments of arrogance. For me he would have seemed more universal, more "that could just as well be me," ...more
Yair Ben-Zvi
Jul 29, 2011 Yair Ben-Zvi rated it it was amazing
Not a perfect book by any stretch, but close enough. Akin to Melville (my teacher's words), Crane is an ironist and a cynic. Nature is ambivalent and men are reduced to descriptive labels. Universality of war, and the sense experience of one youth lost in it all are depicted in a stunning fashion.

I liked it when I read it and am appreciating it more as time goes on. Also, check out "The Open Boat" in this collection. Similar message with a different and shorter delivery.

Larry K
Dec 26, 2009 Larry K rated it did not like it
I know this is a classic, but I just hated this book. I think it was because of Crane's style. He was predominantly a journalist and this book reads like he's reporting not as if he is writing a novel. I also read his other novel Maggie and had the same problem. I actually couldn't even finish this book, and I always finish books I start unless they are impossible like this one. Part of it may also be the antiquated language/style. Crane was very young when he wrote this and it's an incredible f ...more
Patrick
Sep 22, 2014 Patrick rated it really liked it
Shelves: classic-fiction
Considered as one of the naturalist writers, Crane describes and narrates the story of an American northerner soldier who escapes the frontier to be later tormented by his own internal war. Henry the protagonist, is constantly tantalized by the courage depicted in his fellow comrades. The choice of words is really haunting which enables us to experience the authentic feeling in a real battle. The author could have used the "stream of consciousness" technique to make us more vigorous and endeavor ...more
Don
Jun 28, 2016 Don rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A classic. One of those I read years ago in high school. Reading it now, I appreciate it a bit more. The story of a young man going off to fight in his first battle in the American civil war. Well told tale of the young man's thoughts and feelings.

The other stories in this collection were shorter, simpler, and less verbose, and yet I found that I enjoyed them more than the Red Badge. These stories make this collection worth picking up.
Marco
Sep 30, 2012 Marco rated it it was ok
Shelves: classics
War stories are not my favorites, but I realize how interesting is to narrate the story of a man fighting a war. The demonic and godly nature of men fight within each soldier while the battle rage outside. What I found quite interesting was the realistic portrait of people feeling and behaviors during such major historical events. They are not Greek heroes, they are human, full of fears, weaknesses and courage.
Annie
This had beautiful writing in parts, but I just didn't enjoy it. I never felt connected to the characters or story, and although I appreciated the message, I would have put this down immediately if I haven't have had to read it for university.

If you enjoy or appreciate war literature, then you'll probably like this, but I really don't so couldn't rate it higher than two stars, purely because of personal enjoyment reasons.
Jessica
Sep 21, 2008 Jessica rated it liked it
This book makes you contemplate a soldier's decision to join up during war-time and the gammet of emotions he must go through when faced with the consequences of this decision. Having a brother in the military as well as family members who fought in Vietnam and WWII, the consequences of this choice and the reality of war really hit home with me. Some of the passages in this book were heartbreakenly beautiful.
Adam
Nov 01, 2012 Adam rated it really liked it
Really powerful book. Red Badge restored my faith that a book written before 1900 could be enjoyable and absorbing -- not just "good for you" -- after a long losing streak. The short stories that follow it reminded me a lot of Kurt Vonnegut at his most 'things just happen.' "The Open Boat" and "The Blue Hotel" were both page-turners, and didn't take too long for the axe to fall after just the right amount of setup.
Meghan Davison
Jan 07, 2008 Meghan Davison rated it liked it
I liked this a lot, although I feel like I need to read it again to really grasp the mechanics of it. There was a great tension between action and reflection, and it's clear that Crane sees that two as intertwined: meaningful action cannot occur without deep reflection and yet reflection is empty without some intense impetus.

Also, the intro with Crane's biography is just about as good as the book itself.
Nura
#5 Read a book about historical fiction set before 1900

this was torture. yeah, that's me exaggerating. again. apart from the passable story of war, I can't say I like the man behind the tale. Even though it's very human to be a coward but Henry really tried my patience. More so after reading Ashley's War. And the languange, boy, I never abused my dictionary this much before. #never going to admit my poor understanding of english. nope. nuh uh.
Ashley
Jul 10, 2011 Ashley rated it did not like it
Boring. All war fiction is not created equal. This was not near as good as All Quiet on the Western Front. Some of the other short stories in the collection were better, but overall, total snooze fest. Thumbs down :(
Brianne
Jul 17, 2015 Brianne rated it liked it
Excellent writing; surprised I never had to read this in high school or college. The first half of Red Badge of Courage was painfully slow and I hated the third person point of view, but then things picked up and I enjoyed it a lot. The short stories were all really good.
Lily
Oct 13, 2011 Lily rated it liked it
Shelves: school
I did not enjoy the war stuff but liked Crane's style. His Naturalistic worldview is pretty depressing though. I liked watching a certain character grow (but I am in the crowd that doesn't think the protagonist grew :)
  • A People's History of the Civil War: Struggles for the Meaning of Freedom
  • The Jungle Book ; Just So Stories
  • Selected Tales and Sketches
  • The Aeneid of Virgil
  • Civil War Stories
  • Stories by O. Henry (Walmart)
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles & The Valley of Fear
  • Wife to Mr. Milton: The Story of Marie Powell
  • The Bodysurfers
  • The Roosevelt Myth: 50th Anniversary Edition
  • Internal Combustion: How Corporations and Governments Addicted the World to Oil and Derailed the Alternatives
  • The Call of the Wild and Other Stories
  • Safe For Democracy: The Secret Wars Of The CIA
  • Writing History: A Guide for Students
  • Star Wars, Book One: The Glove of Darth Vader; The Lost City of the Jedi; Zorba the Hutt's Revenge
  • Reading the Holocaust
  • The Complete Works of William Shakespeare, Volume 1
  • The Complete Memoirs of George Sherston
19879
Stephen Crane was an American novelist, poet and journalist, best known for the novel Red Badge of Courage. That work introduced the reading world to Crane's striking prose, a mix of impressionism, naturalism and symbolism. He died at age 28 in Badenweiler, Baden, Germany.

More about Stephen Crane...