Start by marking “The Report Card” as Want to Read:
The Report Card

The Report Card

3.85  ·  Rating Details ·  9,496 Ratings  ·  660 Reviews
A fifth-grade genius turns the spotlight on grades - good and bad - in this novel from Andrew Clements, the author of Frindle.

Nora Rose Rowley is a genius, but don't tell anyone. She's managed to make it to the fifth grade without anyone figuring out that she's not just an ordinary kid, and she wants to keep it that way.

But then Nora gets fed up with the importance everyo
Published January 1st 2006 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Report Card, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Report Card

Kay Iscah
Nov 28, 2011 Kay Iscah rated it liked it
Back when I worked at the Public Library, I inherited a stack of Advance Reviewer copies. This was one of them, but I didn't notice any glaring typos like many Advanced books contain. I have mixed feelings about this book. On one hand, I applaud the pointing out that we can put too much emphasis on grades, and that it's not always the best thing for kids. On the other hand, I'm a little disturbed that the main character's (a 5th grade girl sporting a 200 IQ) goal in life is to be normal and not ...more
Mohamed Azmi
Aug 17, 2015 Mohamed Azmi rated it really liked it
Shelves: summer-reading
The amazing book The Report Card was written by the world's wellknown author Andrew Clements. The Report Card is about a very smart girl who pretends to be unclever and always tries to get bad grades. Nora Rosa Rowley is actually a genius that learned how to read alone at the age of two. She always pretended to be dumb because she thought that grades didn't matter. She was trying to convince people to follow her path and they did. The strangest part about the book was that Nora was trying to be ...more
Meg
Aug 12, 2007 Meg rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: children
Shelves: 2006
Clements has done it again! I love this book, and I love how he has created these great stories with kids making a difference. My students love these books as well! 06/30/2006
Barbara
Jan 29, 2009 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-children
I enjoyed this book, but it seemed a bit more unlikely than Frindleand No Talking. Clements deals in this book with the emphasis on testing in schools and how it affects students' perceptions of themselves and others. It's humorous, it held my interest, and it dealt with an important idea, but I still found it hard to believe any students would go as far as Nora and Stephen did in their rebellion.

Although a genius might see the fallacy in taking testing results too seriously, I doubt if Nora wou
Stephanie Gamez
Oct 15, 2014 Stephanie Gamez rated it really liked it
The book The Report Card was an okay book. It was an okay book because when I got it I thought it was going to about someone getting bad grades all the time.

This book takes place at Nora's school and her house. Nora is a girl that is very intelligent at home and at school, but at school she decides to make a lot of bad choices that could ruin her grades. She decides to get bad grades on every one of her subjects to see how big of a deal it is to get bad grades and who will care most about her
Mara Call
May 25, 2014 Mara Call rated it really liked it
Clements is a great youth storyteller. I have found his stories to be humorous and thought provoking. In this tale he questions state testing, the importance that as an American society we put on grades and testing and the special classes for the "smart" or "gifted and talented" kids (and how they got in there in the first place-tests!). He suggests that testing puts undue pressure on kids and doesn't truly reflect the intelligence, capabilities or knowledge of those being tested. In regards to ...more
Elizabeth
I really like this book because it is really funny. My favorite character is Nora because she is really friendly and kind. My favorite part of the book is when Nora and her friend are so confused on what her teacher told her and she didn't understand what he said.
Trent
Jan 05, 2010 Trent rated it did not like it
This book is about a girl named Nora who purposly gets bad grades to make people think she is not smart.

Not very good it doesnt have any real action just talking very boring.

This book is good for people or don't like suspenseful books.
Car
Oct 08, 2007 Car rated it it was ok
I was frustrated with the girl's idea that she should just do mediocre work so she could be "normal". I thought she should have strived to do her best and shine.
Jessy
Feb 17, 2009 Jessy rated it really liked it
still luv it..
Alyssa
Apr 07, 2016 Alyssa rated it liked it
I have tried to read this book so many times in middle school and never got past the first chapter. The problem wasn't that it was boring, it was just strange to me. Now that I'm a sophomore in highschool I have finally finished the book...and I don't know what to think.

At the beginning of thr book the main character annoyed me for some reason, she was hurting her family and didn't see that. All she cared about was proving that grades don't matter, well she is In 5th grade, but she was still ann
Marfita
Jan 05, 2013 Marfita rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
This story keys into my own personal bugbear: standardized testing. It's about more than that, but the standardized testing is what has annoyed me since I was a kid and all the way up to college. It's even worse now, thanks to No Child Left a Chance to Learn.
Anyway, the heroine of this story is necessarily a genius so that testing and grades are pretty much meaningless to her. She has feigned normality with mathematical cunning in order to not be the focus of attention. She has completely fooled
Erin
Jun 15, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it
Fifth grader Nora is (literally) a genius. She doesn't want to be singled out by this fact, so she figures out early on how to hide her smarts and let everyone around her believe she is simply an average kid. Now in 5th grade, Nora watches her best friend struggle with test taking anxiety and low-self esteem due to his performance on the state standardized test, and she decides to stage a rebellion against the importance placed on grades and test scores.

Amen!

Everyone should read this book. If n
Sophie Muller
Sep 19, 2012 Sophie Muller rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
- Publisher: Atheneum Books for Young Readers
- Time: 80 minutes
- 7-word summary: girl - genius - friend - worried - grades - change - system
- Discussion questions:
1. Are you worried about grades?
As a teacher, I am very much worried about grades. I want to give students the grade they deserve, but not only from the tests, but also from their attitude and motivation. And that's not easy to grade... I sometimes wish grades were not so important because learning is the only important thing actually!
Tim
Jul 10, 2008 Tim rated it really liked it
I asked my oldest daughter what she was reading last night and she handed me Andrew Clement's The Report Card. "Why don't you read it Daddy?" Who could resist? So I dove into this story of Nora, a genius who works hard to not let anyone at home or school know about it (and thus constrain her in gifted classes or schools), her friend Stephen, of modest school achievement, and school-wide angst over grades and test taking. The main characters, and the librarian Nora befriends during the course of ...more
JACLYN☻☺☻☺☻☺☻☺☻♥♥♥
This book is about a girl genius named Nora who thinks people are obsessed with grades and she comes up with ingenuous plans to make people stop. But her plans are a little dangerous and Nor and her friend Stephan get caught in the process. They are forced to come up with a new plan to go through with. This plan is different that the first one because in this plan Nora must act like a smarty pants instead of an average girl.They are forced to explain their intentions and plans in front of their ...more
02DallenM
May 29, 2012 02DallenM rated it liked it
the problem in this book is that kids are thinking little of themselves.
the setting contributes partly to the story it could happen in a different time period and be okay but so far as were it is it couldn't be changed.
the protagonist is a little girl named Nora she is extremely intelligent and cares for other children.
the antagonist or antagonists are not really one person just a hole bunch of people standing in the way of her goal.
what i liked about this book is that it was original but what
Shania
Nov 12, 2009 Shania rated it it was amazing
This book was abut a little girl who got 4d and 1c but she just wanted to get all d's you know what i don't wat to be her because i whould want to get all A's and every one else whould want to to am i right.i loved this book because it had alot of information that you need toknow so read this book it is realy good.You know that Andrew Clements makes the best books every ...more
Alondra Rodriguez
May 06, 2016 Alondra Rodriguez rated it really liked it
The book is about this girl named Nora and how she gets bad grades on her homework and how her and her friend Stephen try to make a plan that will change everything.I like this book because I like how the character stand-up to her friend and you don't get confused when you read the book. I recommend this book to a 5 grader because the character is like one of the character and how they stuff that can teach you a lesson.
Susan
Aug 23, 2007 Susan rated it liked it
Very different! The main character is an incredibly bright girl, and I enjoyed seeing things through her very perceptive eyes. This book says a lot about what is wrong with schools today. It also discusses how many parents are focusing onthe wrong things when it comes to raising their children. Nora, the girl in the book, seems to have a very small relationship with her parents, and that made me sad. But I enjoyed the story, as well as the points the author was making.
Idrishia Curnal
May 23, 2016 Idrishia Curnal rated it it was amazing
I think this book was really fun to read. My favorite part was when Cora at the end of the book started not acting like she was slow and started doing better in her classes. The part I didn't like was when her sister always bragged to Cora about her report card because Cora got really mad when she bragged about them. I would recommend this book to Jenefer because she loves to read fun books and she will bring a good book with her almost everywhere to read it and I think that really amazing.
Laura Hernandez
May 06, 2016 Laura Hernandez rated it liked it
This book is about Nora Rose Rowley being a genius, but she doesn't want to tell anyone. She's managed to make it to the 5th grade without anyone finding out her little secret and she wants to keep it that way. I would recommend this book to my little brother, Alex. My brother loves chapter book. Even though he is in 1st grade.

Julie
Nov 05, 2008 Julie rated it it was ok
I liked this book a lot at first, but it never lived up to the hype of the first 50 pages (I'm guessing on pages, since I actually listened to it). I was expecting more of a revolution, more of a fallout, but that's probably just me and my issues with authority. It ended up being a little to didactic for me, though.
Abigail
Apr 27, 2015 Abigail rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 4th graders
Recommended to Abigail by: Sophia
This book was very good. You felt like you were right next to the character threw out the story. This book is good for any fourth grader because that is the same age of the main character in the story. Thanks
for taking the time to read my review.
Ashley Herman
Feb 22, 2016 Ashley Herman rated it it was amazing
I thought that the book was very interesting and fun to read. One thing that I liked was how he told the story from the point of view of the girl in the story. If you like funny and easy to read books then this would be a good choice for you.
Karen
Jul 14, 2016 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom
Ellie earned this book from the LQ Library summer reading program..krb 6/25/16

Another great book from Andrew Clements, we liked this almost as much as Frindle. Should school testing change the way people treat you or the way you see yourself?...krb 7/14/16
Galilea Estrada
Jun 11, 2015 Galilea Estrada rated it liked it
I like this book because I like how they put the girls report card all d's and only one c that makes me think that I need to get a good report card
Jen
Aug 04, 2007 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Andrew Clements can do no wrong in the "school fiction" category. This one deals with the pressure facing kids over testing. Timely and funny...he hits the spot!
Beth
Sep 14, 2007 Beth rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 9 to 14 year olds.
Shelves: readalready
The girl is different. but i want tell you how or u will not read it. will u? anywayz........she wants bad grades instead of good grades, but i will not tell u why!
Lauren
Jul 26, 2007 Lauren rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
i loved Frindle so much i decided to read a few more by the author. this one was pretty good... about a young girl (who happens to be a genius) who sets out to prove that grades don't matter.
the book 18 35 Apr 08, 2012 05:26PM
the book 2 8 Mar 27, 2012 01:44PM
  • I Got a D in Salami
  • Millicent Min, Girl Genius
  • The Kid Who Became President (Kid President, #2)
  • Skinnybones
  • The Naked Mole-Rat Letters
  • The Library Card
  • Sahara Special
  • Adam Canfield of the Slash
  • The Boys Start the War (Boy/Girl Battle, #1)
  • Remembering Mrs. Rossi
  • Clarice Bean Spells Trouble
  • Secret Identity (Shredderman, #1)
  • Kitten in the Candy Corn (Animal Ark: Holiday Special, #12)
  • The Secret School
I was born in Camden, New Jersey in 1949 and lived in Oaklyn and Cherry Hill until the middle of sixth grade. Then we moved to Springfield, Illinois. My parents were avid readers and they gave that love of books and reading to me and to all my brothers and sisters. I didn’t think about being a writer at all back then, but I did love to read. I'm certain there's a link between reading good books ...more
More about Andrew Clements...