Start by marking “Cracked Up to Be” as Want to Read:
Cracked Up to Be

Cracked Up to Be

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  12,236 ratings  ·  1,228 reviews
When "Perfect" Parker Fadley starts drinking at school and failing her classes, all of St. Peter's High goes on alert. How has the cheerleading captain, girlfriend of the most popular guy in school, consummate teacher's pet, and future valedictorian fallen so far from grace?

Published December 23rd 2008 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Cracked Up to Be, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cracked Up to Be

Aj the Ravenous Reader
"The sooner you make a mistake and learn to live with it, the better. You're not responsible for everything. You can't control the way things end up."

Behind the sarcasm, teenage angst, and melodrama is this very powerful story and intense read that will ultimately give a very important message especially to many of our young people today obsessed with the idea of popularity and perfection.

Parker, an eighteen year old teenager, suddenly decides that she doesn’t want to be popular anymore and
This book was everything that I hoped it was going to be and then some. And I wish that I was a good writer so that I could write a review worthy of this book. Why can’t I just say that I loved it and that it was one of the most compelling books I’ve ever read and that just be enough? Because really I don’t know why I like any book, I just do. But if I must, I guess I will.

The writing. If I hadn’t known that this was Summers’ debut novel, I wouldn’t have believed it. One of my most favorite boo
Emily May

Based on what I've read so far, Courtney Summers is easily one of my favourite young adult authors. Her books are incredibly raw and emotional and her talent for getting inside the mind of troubled teens isn't very common in young adult literature.

I admit that I didn't like this book quite as much as Some Girls Are but that isn't saying a lot, it was still powerful and moving. I expected to not like this novel as much because of the lower average rating than Some Girls Are, but I think the main
So, I guess I just read these in opposite order…3…2…1. It’s hard to pick a favorite but this one definitely hits the closest to home. I don’t know why, but I had it in my head that Cracked Up to Be and Some Girls Are were going to be similar novels – like twin manifestos on the psychology of mean girls. Parker and Regina may both sort into the mean girl category, but they are completely different, as are these two novels. I think that Some Girls Are is a book about moving forward and away, but t ...more
Nov 17, 2011 Tatiana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those readers who do not require their characters to be likable
Recommended to Tatiana by: Emily May, Catie
Shelves: 2011, ya
As seen on The Readventurer

The more of Courtney Summers I read, the more her work reminds me of Sara Zarr's. They write vastly different characters - Zarr's are more subdued, quiet; Summers' are often in-your-face obnoxious and loud. But what is similar about these two authors is how well-realized their narrators' voices are. Zarr's and Summers' characters are unique and real, often unlikable, but always unforgettable.

The protagonist of Cracked Up to Be, Parker, is hard to like. She is
Alienor ✘ French frowner ✘

Warning : I thought about it over and over, and the only way I feel writing this review includes a great amount of personal information. If you don't care about it, if you think that's not a review, if you - well, just thought I'd warn you.

"You know how when you meet someone and they just give you the impression they're living on this entirely different planet from everyone else? That's sort of how I felt when I met you."

I don't really know what to say. I mean, how am I supposed to say tha
Parker Fadley used to be head cheerleader. She had perfect grades and a perfect boyfriend. Fast forward a few months and she is drinking heavily, treating everybody like crap (though this hasn’t changed much), broken up with her boyfriend, and missing every single homework deadline. What happened to cause her decline?

When I was in high school, I had to wear a uniform. Since it was an all-girls Catholic school, my morning went something like this:
6:00—alarm goes off. Snooze.
6:15—alarm goes off.
4.5 stars.

Slight spoilers follow…

“I’d rather be certifiable than perpetually boring.”

Initial Final Page Thoughts.

High Points.
I loved everything: the writing, the characters, the emotions, the subject.
*bats off hands*

Low Points.
This book was so small it could get lost in my back teeth.
I’m just being selfish because I wanted to spend more time with this book but hey, if book reviewers can’t be selfish then who can?
That is the real question, I think.

You know how I really lik
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
*I Don't Know How Many Stars*

Guys. I am so lost for words. This book made me feel things I just can't even...can't even. I liked it and I hated it. I loved it but wanted to punch it. I was obsessed with it and I wasn't obsessed with it. I couldn't put it down but when I did I felt a little bit lighter. I don't even know what to say, so how should I understand how to rate it?

Jake should know-well, everyone should know-there's no such thing as a decent human being. It's just an illusion.
And when i
Already being a big fan of Courtney Summers since I read This Is Not a Test, I knew before going into this that it was going to be a ride with a lot of feels! So much feels!

Parker is the definition of a snarky bitch. She has an attitude you want to slap her for, but as a protagonist she's especially amusing and definitely entertaining. The used-to-be cheerleading captain turned angry emo tells us that something has happened to this girl to change her so drastically. This "something" is told to u
jo mo
i couldn’t have cared less about any of the characters, especially our main character – parker. none of them were likeable, because there was nothing to like. i don’t think courtney summers could have done a better job at that! it probably wasn't even the point, because you were supposed to develop empathy, not sympathsize with her.

parker was nasty and only wallowed in her self-pity.
chris was pathetic,- i have this crazy feeling that when he told parker he loved her, he only meant he loved getti
Cracked up to Be by Courtney Summers is probably one of the more difficult reads I’ve encountered in the YA genre. The protagonist, Parker Fadley, was flawed, damaged and on a downward spiral. In most cases, that’s enough cause to have me sympathize for a main character, but the way the story developed, she never really pulled at my heartstrings. I carried more angst for her ex-boyfriend Chris, and the new guy Jake that was dumb enough to fall for her. She really put everyone in her life through ...more
May 23, 2009 Ash marked it as attmepted-to-read
I had very high hopes for this book. It had nothing but raving reviews and I was looking forward to reading it. I'm not saying that it disappointed me, but I guess I wasn't as prepared for it as I thought. I knew that it was a fairly raw and somewhat sad book with crude humor and some bad language but I thought I might still be able to get into the book. That I'd be able to finish it.

Parker is just a sad character. She pushes everyone away by being mean and rude any chance she gets. She doesn'
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

“I was perfect... and then I wasn't.”

People change. Some change more than others, but they all change. Parker Fadley changed. Perfect Parker Fadley. Changed. A lot. From captain of the cheer squad, girlfriend of a hot guy and a constant high achiever, no one knows what happened to her. But something did. Something huge and so conflicting that Perfect Parker is now not talking to anyone about it. With her parents, teachers and fellow classmates watching her ev
Paige  Bookdragon

History repeats itself.

Fucking hell. This reminds me of the awesomeness of Some Boys.

Parker doesn't want to talk about it. She'd just like to be left alone, to disappear, to be ignored. But her parents have placed
Aug 16, 2011 Alyssa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Girls who read Seventeen and want to be popular one day.
I realize that there are some authors out there, in a booklover’s world of literature, that can surprise you constantly and sweep you off your feet. I realize that there are some authors out there that don’t really need practice to do so – many a first book is better than the author’s next works.

I also realize that there are only a limited number of these authors.

Formulas are very constant in literature, especially in YA. Take Sarah Dessen – an author I respect and love as both a person and wr
I'm going to stray a little from my normally cohesive review format, to discuss this rollercoaster ride of a book.

Some books - well, most books - have a way about them. They have this format where it's almost like the author has managed to zap themselves between the pages, luring you inside and whispering the words into your awaiting mind and holding your hand as they lead you along the story's path.

But Cracked Up to Be was different. The author was barely noticeable. I lost myself in the thoug
Rebecca A. Rogers
Ever since I read this novel, I've been judiciously punishing myself. I made a vow to not pick up another Courtney Summers book until I had tackled this review first and although I have sat down to type out this review on more than one occasion, the words never came. Even now, over two months since I last held this in my hands, I struggle to find the words to adequately express what an emotional wreck this book rendered me. Parker are her struggles are still as real and visceral to me today as t ...more
Apr 22, 2011 kari rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011, ya
Clarification 4.5 Stars

I really love Courtney Summers' writing. I find it to be raw and ralistic and I think she captures the emotion of her protaganists really well.
I was first introduced to her when I read FALL FOR ANYTHING with the Bookers and totally fell in love with her writing style.
In CRACKED UP TO BE, we have another "messed up" teen with angst and issues and that one big moment in her life that made her go "what's the point?" For Parker Fadley, it was, What's the point in trying to be
I don't like writing negative reviews. *sigh*

The beginning was so, so great and funny, and all. I was so happy to choose this book because it felt perfect for me.. but I don't know why my interest got lost by the middle of the story, and the ending was not better than that.

I guess it's a nice book and some people might like it more, but it didn't really work for me.

I liked Parker at the beginning (as mean as she was), and in a way I really liked the way her 'relationship' with Jake started (th
This is a short book but OH MY GOD it tore my heart out!!!!! I have so many thought swirling in my head about the price of trying to achieve perfection and the toll it takes on a person.

Parker is a fully realized character. She is so messy and complicated. There were times I wanted to laugh with her, smack her, and then just wrap her up in my arms.

I'm reeling after reading this and I will be thinking about it for days to come.

Until I snap out of my lazy holiday phase and write an actual review, please do yourself a favour and read this post by Summers (some spoilers), on "nice" girls. Perfect post is perfect.
Feb 22, 2010 Rachel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
It's official. I will read anything Courtney Summers writes.
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Cana Rensberger for

Parker Fadley was captain of the varsity cheerleading squad. She'd been on the honor roll for the first three years of high school, and Chris, the most popular guy at school, was in love with her, the most popular girl in school. Now, no matter how awful she is to him, she knows he still loves her, but she's not worth it.

Not since the party. Not since her life took a radical one-hundred-and-eighty degree turn.

Her parents have her on a tight leash
Parker Fadley embodies a perfectionist. She's on the honor roll with distinction, the cheerleading captain that never fails, and dating the most popular guy attending her school. And yet, one party is all it takes to ruin everything. Suddenly, she seems to downgrade to a shell of who she used to be - a harsh, cold girl on suicide watch that manipulates people and pushes them away from her. She meets a new guy in her art class, and even takes a dog in as a pet, but how will she recover from somet ...more
YA Buddy Readers'...: Cracked Up to Be by Courtney Summers — Starts July 23, 2014 37 20 Jul 25, 2014 09:38AM
German reading ci...: [Part 4] Kapitel 21 - 27 12 18 May 25, 2013 06:14AM
  • Good Oil
  • The Secret Year
  • Losing Faith
  • Once Was Lost
COURTNEY SUMMERS was born in Belleville, Ontario in 1986 and currently resides in a small town not far from there. To date, she has authored five novels. Her first novel, Cracked Up to Be, was published when she was 22 and went on to win the 2009 CYBIL award in YA fiction. Since then, she’s published three more books–2011 YALSA Top 10 Quick Pick and White Pine Honour book, Some Girls Are, 2012 YAL ...more
More about Courtney Summers...
Some Girls Are This is Not a Test (This is Not a Test #1) Fall for Anything All the Rage Please Remain Calm (This Is Not a Test, #2)

“The sooner you make a mistake and learn to live with it, the better. You're not responsible for everything. You can't control the way things end up.” 249 likes
“How does it feel to know that even at my worst, you're still not good enough?” 170 likes